Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Saw it. It was a bit of a mixed bag for me

The score was great, I really liked Batmans theme being this menacing two notes

I am not entirely sold on Battinson, and that's partially because I feel the film can't decide if he's a menacing creature of the night that preys on the superstitious cowardly lot, or if he's a goober detective who sticks out like a sore thumb in a room full of cops. I feel like they should have gone for one or the other, not both.

Zoe Kravits Catwoman is more stoic and subdued than how the character is usually portrayed as. Usually she's got a more upbeat vibe, while Zoe plays more to the angry side. More claws than purr

Colin Ferrel was amazing, I literally coulnd't tell it was him underneath that makeup. A++

Spoilers up next

There were at least two scenes where you hear Batmans steps before he walks out of the shadows, and it's supposed to be menacing and scary, and then he walks out and he's just...this awkward dude in a suit. Like he can still beat your rear end up, but he's not scary. Battinson doesn't sell the feral anger of Batman, i felt. And he's often shown in the middle of a room with like a dozen cops and it looks so silly when he awkwardly shuffles around in plain sight with a bunch of cops around. Unless the point is to make him out as this awkward weirdo with anger issues, I feel that the film lost a step in how it portrayed him. "Awkward" is like the best way to describe this batman, I think.

I did like that he's an actual detective this time, and detects stuff. He's good at it too.

The Car reveal was great. It was like it was its own character, incredibly menacing, almost alive. Very cool scene.

The riddler was extremely grating, and the less we got of him the better. I also audibly groaned at the reveal of his cellmate at the end.

Cute little easter egg: Batman injects himself with Venom. Blink and you miss it moment.

Petty "plot hole" complaint: They found the penguin with a body, have a gigantic car chase, catch him, tie him up, then just...let him go? Why didn't they take him to jail, or have a squad car pick him up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McCloud posted:

The score was great, I really liked Batmans theme being this menacing two notes

Like Hans Zimmer’s Batman leitmotif?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Like Hans Zimmer’s Batman leitmotif?

I kinda think it's more reminiscent of Zimmers Man of Steel motif, except instead of hopeful it's kinda sinister, if that makes sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WEonvtesdc This is the one i mean

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I'm partial to this track on the OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxU6LMHPlHk

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a way to watch this if i dont want to get covid

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Stairmaster posted:

is there a way to watch this if i dont want to get covid

HBO Max in about a month I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The_Doctor posted:

Out in cinemas on Friday 4th of March, 2022, with digital release on HBO Max Tuesday 19th April, 2022 so you can watch at home with an intermission, because, again, the film is 3 hours long.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wear a mask and see it when it gets less busy?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Saw The Batman to support my boy Robby P.
good bits:
-penguin shuffle.
-the batmobile.
-club iceberg
-detecting
-paul dano casting
-all the casting really
-gotham's gloom
-the first 10 minutes, scary batman
-the guy he saves from the thugs at the start, he should have kept that up as a friendship tbh, just a scene every now again with them coding
-the motifs, especially batmans
-henchmen, the twins, etc. good atmospheric characters.
-penguin as a character. brilliant, dynamic. see he was dynamic!! he was messy.
-gotham flooded and lovely is a good way to end it, in disrepair
bad bits:
-the joker reveal at the end JESUS CHRIST USE ANYBODY ELSE ANYBODY FREEZE
-the script/writing was poorish imho, especially the riddler stuff because
-they didn't have an actual 'holy poo poo' ending to his clue treasure hunt. and they could have. i'm not asking for the prestiege but at least set it up so there is a moment with both batman and the audience goes "oooh my gosh, so that's what he meant be that and it all makes sense now, whatta twist!" they could have, they so could have. ugh.
-also, the whole idea of the riddler being video'd in the whole freaking film. like, it felt so dumb and plastic. the audience audibly, collectively laughed at the bit where batman is video calling and you see him in the corner in the square
-some really dumb cheesy moments, like when gordon has the 'good cops' all come out together. no.
-other things i can't think of right now.

in my mind, this film would have been wholly redeemed if paul dano's riddler was in person instead of behind a screen and had a way better, more interesting plan. that's it. but also have like a poison ivy or something, have something else! have a surprise villian come half way through. have mr. freeze as a modern spiritual guru/cult leader who has this thing where all followers carry around an ice cube in a special small container and burn their skin with it to remind themselves to be present or something. have him as a swauve villian with a great voice who acts as some sort of 'false messiah' for gotham's destitute and desperate. have poison ivy trying to level the city to 'grow a new nature', have them fight and have the film look like batmans going to "actually both sides" them. but then he joins poison ivy against mr. freezes tech bro cult because not all sides are equal. I don't know, I thought about a lot of fever dream alt. plot lines throughout this movies 3 hour run time.

e:, , my apologies!

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 4, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat spoilers bro

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/patrickodonne11/status/1499453948096303110?s=21

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This movie is a great example of a 7/10 average movie. At some moments it almost felt like they were just making safe Batman Franchise starter film.txt. Other moments had cool scenes. The sound design and score were excellent, maybe my favorite part of the film. not about the plot --> This movie had more endings that Return of the King at the end. There was no reason for it to be as long as it was. With all the hype I heard about how Gotham was going to feel this movie, it felt about as generic as Gotham in Dark Knight Rises.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It has at most two endings. About the plot Getting the Riddler, and then the assault on the stadium. Getting the Riddler is a bit hollow on it's own because....he lets himself be caught. And what was his plan, kill the randos that are running the city corruptly [And Bruce Wayne]? That's....that's it? Well ok he did that, but we know nothing about him. So now the film tells you what it's actually about. Because up until now all the bodies and the investigation and getting the Riddler is just plot, it's only really hinting at actual themes and arcs and what it's trying to say. And then you talk to Riddler, and what he says about Bruce Wayne and what it's like to really be an orphan, and how Batman inspired him by putting on a mask and being true to himself, and it starts to really turn on the stadium lights to really drive home the point. And then it gets to the climax, which is the random goon being demasked and asked his name. "I'm vengeance.".

And so what the movie The Batman is about : How fundamentally stupid it is to be Batman, to think that you can just punch criminals and cure social dysfunction in a militarized cosplay suit. Nobody is going to feel inspired by that in a positive way, no-one is going to have hope for their city. And so we go from that to Batman actually saving people as a primary goal. Which is something he very lowkey hasn't given a poo poo about in the entire preceeding film. He's not empathic about the man who is being jumped, he doesn't care about Selina's missing friend, he's more about hurting criminals than saving people. And that's shallow. So he falls into the water and is reborn, and instead of being the shadows he's the light, and it's all very on the nose but you kind of needed a bit more violence to hit him with that stinger of the demasking.

There is probably a version of the film that cuts 30 minutes to get to the same place, but if that comes at it being less indulgent in a few lingering shots gently caress it. I'd rather some people be turned off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mulva posted:

And so what the movie The Batman is about : How fundamentally stupid it is to be Batman, to think that you can just punch criminals and cure social dysfunction in a militarized cosplay suit. Nobody is going to feel inspired by that in a positive way, no-one is going to have hope for their city. And so we go from that to Batman actually saving people as a primary goal. Which is something he very lowkey hasn't given a poo poo about in the entire preceeding film. He's not empathic about the man who is being jumped, he doesn't care about Selina's missing friend, he's more about hurting criminals than saving people. And that's shallow. So he falls into the water and is reborn, and instead of being the shadows he's the light, and it's all very on the nose but you kind of needed a bit more violence to hit him with that stinger of the demasking.

There is probably a version of the film that cuts 30 minutes to get to the same place, but if that comes at it being less indulgent in a few lingering shots gently caress it. I'd rather some people be turned off.

This is very generous reading of the film. I'm not sure anyone making the film was going for any of this but this reading actually makes me like it more lol

Also, I did see this movie in a standard theater so the black contrast wasn't as good as it could have been. I bet this movie will look better on my OLED at home than it did in the theater today .

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 4, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

mcmagic posted:

This is very generous reading of the film. I'm not sure anyone making the film was going for any of this but this reading actually makes me like it more lol

It's the most basic and direct reading that requires literally no interpretation of what you are being shown. It is a literal and boring reading of what is happening directly in front of you. Like the bookend of Batman's first and last real appearance:

We start with his narration as three groups of criminals are doing their thing. A man holding up a convenience store, some random graffiti punks, and then the Joker goons that are going to gently caress the guy up. And we have a bat signal, as he describes what it means. How it's a big city and he can't be everywhere. How criminals look up and see it, and then they fear that he's lurking in the shadows. They are wrong, he says. He is the shadows. And each group looks at it and stares into the darkness. The hold up thug is distracted and gets hit by a car, the randos run off from tagging, and finally the gang sees him step out from the darkness. And notably the first thing they do is laugh at him, because his entire gimmick is kind of silly......until he loving brutalizes the first guy and delivers the line. "I'm vengeance.". And then he wildly goes off on them, to the degree he's now actually terrifying. Not because of the suit or a symbol or anything, but because he's a brutish monster that is tearing people apart and shrugging off bullets. He's so terrifying the person he saved begs Batman not to hurt him. This does not phase Batman.

We then skip to the end.

He's terrified of losing Selina so he juices up to shrug off that shotgun blast he took, and he is flat out killing that Riddler lackey before he's pulled off. It's over, everyone is down. So they unmask the guy and ask his name. And he says "I'm vengeance.". And this noticeably hits Bruce. This gets through, this makes the point. So now the flooding has gotten through the doors and a power line is hanging over the water, and the people below are in danger. Batman swings in, cuts the line, and falls into the water. He rises out of depths, and he lights a flare. He knows what he has to do, so he marches towards the wreckage and starts helping people out, lending a hand, leading the masses out of the stadium. He is a point of light in the dark. And he gives his narration, to answer the early narration. In the beginning he questions if he's having a difference, as he's been doing this for two years and crime is up. Now he knows: He's made a difference, and it's a negative one. His approach was wrong, what people need is hope. That things can be better, that the city can change, that they matter. Now, noticeably, when he helps lay a woman on a stretcher and holds her hand she doesn't want him to let go. He's a figure of safety and protection, not some jackass beating up people to feel better about himself.

Every single thing in the film is informed by this conclusion. It's why he is framed like a monster, and even the loving Batmobile gets a sinister introduction. He is a monster.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mulva posted:

Every single thing in the film is informed by this conclusion. It's why he is framed like a monster, and even the loving Batmobile gets a sinister introduction. He is a monster.

The batmobile looks like the car she fucks in Tatine

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The parts that were overtly portraying Batman as a maniac and Bruce as a self indulgent narcissist were spot on. Mixed with the pulpy hard boiled vibe perfectly. The ending though was so completely out of place to be bewildering. Like someone just threw in 20 minutes of a Schumacher film.

The denouement was back on track, loved the 70s cop sitcom vibe of riding off at the end.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
I loved the first 2/3rds, Batman the detective is great. But the movie could have easily shaved 30 -45 minutes off its runtime and lost nothing. The last 1/3 was messy and not satisfying.

At the end, it's like they mashed up January 6, and Katrina. Except in Katrina the people left behind were poor and predominantly black. Here it's obvious these people are rather well-off and white, despite the mayor-elect being black. The film wanted to elicit sympathy from me for these people, but instead I was left like, oh good, Batman saved the rich people. Maybe that's an unfair reading, but that's how I felt. I also didn't love how the entire climax was only tangentially connected to Riddler's plot, and he just kept coming up with new things. Would have preferred they ended it with Riddler's capture tbh.

Cinematography was great, Giacchino's score was great, I also generally loved the acting/actors.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Oh I forgot the black mayor elect running on a platform of being tough on crime lol

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Oh I forgot the black mayor elect running on a platform of being tough on crime lol

So Eric Adams? Gotham really taking from its namesake!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Is there ever a mayor running on something else?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Really liked this movie.

Literally the only thing I didn't like, was the Joker tease. I'm sure Barry Keoghan will do a good job, but it was more groanworthy than exciting for me. I didn't need more worldbuilding, and it was literally just doing Batman Begins Joker card again but with way more detail. Nonetheless, I know the last Joker movie made a billion dollars so here we are again.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Score is fantastic (that main motif is so menacing), casting is really good, movie looks great, script kinda sucks and it's too long and tonally confused.

A worthy take though - I liked it being more of a detective story and the action is the best I've seen in a Batman movie. It has a distinct enough voice behind it that it doesn't feel unnecessary.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Honestly really liked it, it’s an amalgamation of poo poo that’s been done before and a script that’s kinda weak in parts completely carried by the cinematography, score and cast But I still dug it.

the scene with him and riddler in the interrogation room for example is a pretty straight “you and I we’re not so different” bit, but it being framed like Bruce is literally talking to a mirror, so when he screams “you’re an attention seeking psychopath who will die in Arkham” its him talking to himself, given extra context by the earlier reveal that his mother did spend time in Arkham.

So it’s a cliche, but a well executed one that expresses the character well. Whole movie felt kinda like that. “The mask is the real you”- another cliche, but this time shown by barely showing Bruce outside the mask for the first third of the movie, until he’s seen in daylight in the funeral scene blinking like a true basement dweller at which point we hear the Wayne theme for the first time.

The joker can gently caress off though.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 4, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Three hours is way too long. Especially since for all its grime and dirt and brooding the plot isn't actually the least bit complex or clever or subtle. Stuff just happens and we always get some side character conveniently recapping where the plot is at right now, although not as bad as the power plant guy or the cop in Batman Begins/Dark Knight. This movie is a PG-13 cartoon presenting as Se7en and while I enjoyed that contrast once I caught on to it, I can see how it might rub people the wrong way. I felt entertained all the way through.

Colin Farrell's makeup job is outstanding and he's a great actor but his overwrought 1920s gangster accent puts him a tommy gun short of a Dick Tracy villain. Again, I was digging it.

Likewise Paul Dano did a great job but I was a bit disappointed that the riddling was all a bit simple and shallow. Three hours runtime had me expecting some kind of buildup to revealing some kind of twist to it but, not really. Shame and a bit of a waste too. And something that actually rubbed me the wrong way: Batman himself isn't really shown as very smart. Alfred solves all the cyphers, dude needs facial recognition software to identify Gotham's upper echelons instead of just, knowing who people are, near the end there's even a bit where the cop off-handedly mentions what the murder weapon is and Batman gets an epiphany like he's House M.D. at the end of an episode. Part of that is obviously that they felt the audience needed dialogue to follow along, but that's kind of lazy filmmaking - if you want to show that Batman is scary smart, you find a way.

I dunno, I keep thinking of a Grant Morrison bit where Batman explains how when the Joker leaves a playing card at a crime scene, Batman has to be aware of the significance of that card in numerology, history, any number of actual card games, all kinds of potential symbolism, and interpret it correctly or people will die, and this Batman feels like he needs a guy nearby who happens to mention that a king beats a queen.

Ending spoilers, but only for the background setting: We end on a young black woman calling on everyone to regain trust in institutions, with a subtext of "now that the establishment old white men are gone from their positions of power". Very with the times, hopeful message. But they all had to die for change to happen. Is the movie telling us Riddler's right or is that taking the metaphor too far?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If anyone is allowed to be brooding and grim it's batman

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/03/the-batman-a-stockholders-report/

love armond, ngl

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Likewise Paul Dano did a great job but I was a bit disappointed that the riddling was all a bit simple and shallow. Three hours runtime had me expecting some kind of buildup to revealing some kind of twist to it but, not really. Shame and a bit of a waste too. And something that actually rubbed me the wrong way: Batman himself isn't really shown as very smart. Alfred solves all the cyphers, dude needs facial recognition software to identify Gotham's upper echelons instead of just, knowing who people are, near the end there's even a bit where the cop off-handedly mentions what the murder weapon is and Batman gets an epiphany like he's House M.D. at the end of an episode. Part of that is obviously that they felt the audience needed dialogue to follow along, but that's kind of lazy filmmaking - if you want to show that Batman is scary smart, you find a way.

I liked that partly because it fit with the overall characterisation that this is a Batman who occasionally flubs punches and eats dirt when he's trying to glide. And also because the things he misses (errors in Spanish, not knowing what a carpeting tool looks like) are things he misses because of his privileged upbringing.

Godlike batman is boring, a detective story works better if the protagonist is fudging their way through a little. I also like that when they challenged Penguin as being behind it all they're not actually right they're just kinda fishing.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 4, 2022

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

atrus50 posted:

Cinematography, editing, score, effects were all mediocre.

I've got a ton of issues with this movie. But this is the worst take.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is it too dark to see with an 8 year old?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
^^^^^
It super toes the line between it's PG13 and being an R rated film, so it depends on what your 8 year old is cool with, I think. Riddler MURDERS folks, including blowing a guy's head off. You don't see any gore, but it's heavily implied as to what happens, so he's no Jim Carrey twirling a goofy cane.

massive spider posted:

I also like that when they challenged Penguin as being behind it all they're not actually right they're just kinda fishing.

Penguin figuring out Ridddler's bad spanish instead of Bruce or Godon is so good. He's like "What kinda shitshow is this?"

and then he waddles like a penguin, so you know, CINEMA *chefs kiss*

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 4, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

It pushes it, there's some stuff that plays out like PG13 Se7en that might be genuinely creepy for a kid. Not much visible gore but lots of painful beatdowns.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Things I liked:
-Pattinson: I loved how angry, broken and unhinged he was
-The score
-The fight scenes
-The car
-The Batcave
-Catwoman
-The casting/performances
-The first half of the movie

Some things I hated:_
-Jeffery Wright's role. Poor guys was just an awkward exposition machine. Especially cringey when he verged on "Gee Wiilikers Batman, what do think this could be?"
-How much this movie showed that Batmans suit is loving ridiculous as a concept and completely impractical
-What the hell is the City's plan? They get everyone in the city to go to "the highest point in town" only for Gotham Square Garden to be below loving street level and completely susceptibile to floods.
-where the hell is everyone in the city and Batman saved what? 10 people? Do better dude

-The last half of the movie
-The forved romance

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pillowpants posted:

I would not take a small child to see this. The violence early on might scare them. Riddler’s opening scene is brutal.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ending spoilers, but only for the background setting: We end on a young black woman calling on everyone to regain trust in institutions, with a subtext of "now that the establishment old white men are gone from their positions of power". Very with the times, hopeful message. But they all had to die for change to happen. Is the movie telling us Riddler's right or is that taking the metaphor too far?

The movie is saying that Riddler's way (and by implication Batman) is wrong. The arc is Batman realizing that he's been going about things the wrong way, exacerbating some of the problems he claims to oppose, and at the end shifting to a figure that can inspire hope and trust for normal people rather than just being a boogeyman for criminals.

The Riddler's whole deal was that Gotham was so wholely and pervasively corrupt that it corrupted (or otherwise eliminated) even those who might have aspired to nobler ideals (i.e the Waynes), right? So it probably comes down to if you believe that institutions or systems (i.e government) take on the moral or ethical nature of those who control them, and that therefore putting minorities, PoC, or other marginalized identities in charge of those institutions or systems is sufficient to change their nature for the better.

Whether that holds true or not is... less conclusive.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 5, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Armond's reviews are driven with an ultra current right wing agenda, which even colors his "good" reviews when you realize why he's writing them or where he's coming from.

Movie was more good than bad, mainly due to how it's shot and the acting/feel of the movie. Penguin was great; used just sparingly enough and made me laugh a few times.

The movie was faaaar too long. It wasn't long due to material either, it was long because of unnecessary shots and holding every shot twice as long as it needed to be held. I like some visual indulgence from time to time, but this got ridiculous where you are like "I got the point already" halfway through a scene. That made it kind of laborious towards the end, which is an issue when the 3rd act is by far the weakest and kind of falls flat.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tbh I think if there's anything wrong with the third act its that it feels kinda rushed.

Everything before it is this long, soak up the atmosphere, linger on the shot type pacing. But then Riddlers dam blowing sinking the goddamn city is something that ought to be a Big Deal on an apocalyptic scale that is kinda rushed through because there's too much to wrap up.

Similarly the scene of Batman making his entrance by blowing the whole roof could have been better with some build up.

Unrelated spoiler

According to Matt Reeves originally there was more Joker with Bruce consulting him in a Silence of the Lambs bit earlier in the film. Thank gently caress it got cut because it sounds awful. The canon though is that he and Batman have already encountered each other.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 4, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I haven't seen it yet but just about everyone seems to agree that it's too "Return of the King" long. I felt the same way about The Dark Knight tbh and thought that film would have been improved by carrying over Harvey's arc into part 3, even if you had to a flash forward to get to Bane. I still plan on checking it out and like Reeves a lot but I'm not in a huge hurry to do so based on what I've read.

I'm also really REALLY burnt out on comic book movies in general to where it's hard for me to get jazzed about any of them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Here's a spanking new clip with Reeves explaining that stinger-esque bit towards the end of the movie. Spoilers be here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Blx1KgimDk

Some collected thoughts in no particular order, gonna spoiler it all to be safe:
Really liked the film. Pretty much aced the casting at every step. Paul Dano was really good at being crazy without dabbing into the edge-lordy over the top crazy that some actors would fall into.
I really like that the movie takes place in a world where Batman has been around for a year already. Is this the first new Batman where we don't have to get a flashback to the murder of his parents? I think so, and thank gently caress for that. It's really not needed at this point.

I really like that this is a detective Batman.

I *really* like how the underlying story for this whole movie is just how selfish the whole concept of Batman is. When he declares that he is "vengeance" it's really about his own unresolved issues and the way he deals with them. His monologue (which probably wasn't needed tbh) establishes that whatever he accomplishes is essentially useless. The status quo of Gotham is unchanged, and it appears that his pursuit of the upper-class corruption is not really on his radar until the inciting incident of this whole movie: the Riddler murdering a big shot and calls for Batman's attention. This selfish "woe is me" aspect of Bruce Wayne is reinforced when it is pointed out that he doesn't do anything of significance in his civilian life. He's not a philanthropist, he doesn't actually *care* about Gotham. He cares about his own never-ending anguish and beating up bad guys is really just the way he copes with it. Whatever good that comes out of it is really accidental. The movie is essentially his journey of understanding that and making him readjust how he should use Batman for the betterment of others, not himself. And I think that's a great use of the character!

The ending of the film was a bit of a mixed bag. I liked the execution of it fine, but I felt like it hadn't been foreshadowed in a meaningful way. Like, I dig the idea that Riddler is an internet incel who gets a following of edgelords who wants to get in on the fun. But there's an ocean of a difference between murdering corrupt upper-class citizens while exposing their crimes and drowning the whole city and causing god knows how many innocent deaths. It's an escalation that jives a bit more with a Joker character, at least the way it is built towards in the movie.

All in all, a real good film IMO. Best Batman stuff since TDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I think this movie manages to understand the character of Batman/Bruce Wayne better than any that came before it.

The initial scene at the murder at the mayor's house just is played so well to me. It shows the viewer how separate and alien Batman is from the rest of Gotham, he's shot apart from any of the other detectives he barely even speaks. Pattinson brings such a great vulnerability to the role that I really appreciated throughout the movie.

Also absolutely A+ sound design. The sound the Batmobile makes when its starting up is otherworldly, best heard as loud as possible in IMAX if you can. And I really liked the touch that when Batman is walking in his suit the suit almost sounds like a suit of knight's armor. You can hear what even sounds like chainmail clinking in the sound design of it.