Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The Mxyzptlk reference was kinda out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

For me its not just the clink of the suit that makes it, its the rubbery latex noises. Which really drives home how loving weird it is when he walks into a room of cops, and adds a lowkey S&M vibe to the closeup scenes with Catwoman - although that angle has been done more explicitly in Batman Returns, the horniest batman movie.

Pattinson and Kravitz had decent enough onscreen chemistry without it extending into being a full on romance subplot.

The more I think about this movie the more I liked it- though most of that enjoyment was just down to the portrayal of the character rather than the overall plot.

At the start the fake out has you thinking youre watching the Wayne family, before revealing its not. But the kid is in costume playing ninja, much like the adult Bruce is also 'playing ninja'.

I also liked how in the hospital scene Pattinsons mannerisms were just so awkward, mouth tight and mumbly, eye contact poor, clearly not been outside the basement in a long time. Then he delivers a line like "I trained myself to master fear" but the overall vibe of his persona makes it sound like that "I studied the blade" weeb copy pasta. Since we never actually SEE bruce train with ninjas or whatever like the Nolan films its questionable how qualified he actually is. Yeah he can fight, but he's tanking every third hit straight on the armour. He powers through every encounter on sheer hate and will.

And the opening monologue is pretty much Roschrachs journal.

Also after Bruces realisation that Batman can't just be about inspiring fear we get a shot of the improved bat-cycle...which now has a corny pair of Bat-ears on it. Bruces solution was to embrace camp.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 4, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
One of my favorite little things is when Batman is about to jump off the top of the police HQ (big loving building huh?) and he actually pause for a moment in a "oh *poo poo* that's a long way down" sort of way. I like anything that humanize this crazy bat guy.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Alfred solves all the cyphers

"LOL Alfred, you thought the cyphers spelled out a message? It's actually a picture of letters, old man!"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I wouldn't have picked "even darker and grittier" as the tone for a Batman reboot in 2022, but this did a fairly good job of it. didn't need to be three fuckin' hours long though

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't seen it yet but just about everyone seems to agree that it's too "Return of the King" long. I felt the same way about The Dark Knight tbh and thought that film would have been improved by carrying over Harvey's arc into part 3, even if you had to a flash forward to get to Bane. I still plan on checking it out and like Reeves a lot but I'm not in a huge hurry to do so based on what I've read.

I'm also really REALLY burnt out on comic book movies in general to where it's hard for me to get jazzed about any of them.

Dark Knight has a bunch of stuff happening quickly in a 2 and a half hour movie. The movie jumps main focuses/plots around 4 times within the movie itself - if it ended in the middle, it would have been an ESB style negative ending movie with full arcs, but then it had like 2 more after it.

This is the opposite where not much is going on, but it's going on very slowly to immerse you in mood - which worked for me at first, but which waned on me towards the end.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

For me its not just the clink of the suit that makes it, its the rubbery latex noises. Which really drives home how loving weird it is when he walks into a room of cops, and adds a lowkey S&M vibe to the closeup scenes with Catwoman - although that angle has been done more explicitly in Batman Returns, the horniest batman movie.

Pattinson and Kravitz had decent enough onscreen chemistry without it extending into being a full on romance subplot.

The more I think about this movie the more I liked it- though most of that enjoyment was just down to the portrayal of the character rather than the overall plot.

At the start the fake out has you thinking youre watching the Wayne family, before revealing its not. But the kid is in costume playing ninja, much like the adult Bruce is also 'playing ninja'.

I also liked how in the hospital scene Pattinsons mannerisms were just so awkward, mouth tight and mumbly, eye contact poor, clearly not been outside the basement in a long time. Then he delivers a line like "I trained myself to master fear" but the overall vibe of his persona makes it sound like that "I studied the blade" weeb copy pasta. Since we never actually SEE bruce train with ninjas or whatever like the Nolan films its questionable how qualified he actually is. Yeah he can fight, but he's tanking every third hit straight on the armour. He powers through every encounter on sheer hate and will.

Also after Bruces realisation that Batman can't just be about inspiring fear we get a shot of the improved bat-cycle...which now has a corny pair of Bat-ears on it. Bruces solution was to embrace camp.

According to this movie, all we know is that Alfred taught him how to fight, which explains a lot.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

massive spider posted:

Never has their been a film where Batman was shot more, he just kind of uses the advantages of his armor and gadgets to overpower his opponents eventually but yeah I like how he still seems very green. And prone to failure. Even though Batman Begins was a Batman origin story he barely ever seems out of sorts in it. Whereas in this one he's still figuring out how to glide.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
This had a better Third act than basically any superhero movie in the last decade

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

This had a better Third act than basically any superhero movie in the last decade

I'm taking up a solid third of the thread at this point with thoughts but best part about the ending:

The riddlers plan mostly succeeds and Batman doesn't actually save the city from catastrophe, just saves a few people. He's just a guy in a suit, all he can do is save a handful and maybe hope to inspire hope. Except he can't even do that unless he sorts himself out first.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

I wouldn't have picked "even darker and grittier" as the tone for a Batman reboot in 2022, but this did a fairly good job of it. didn't need to be three fuckin' hours long though

Yeah if there's any hero that shouldn't be dark and gritty it's Batman, he's a terrible fit for that. And what's with all this detecting?!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Le Saboteur posted:

Also absolutely A+ sound design. The sound the Batmobile makes when its starting up is otherworldly, best heard as loud as possible in IMAX if you can. And I really liked the touch that when Batman is walking in his suit the suit almost sounds like a suit of knight's armor. You can hear what even sounds like chainmail clinking in the sound design of it.

You brought up sound so, hopefully, when I watch this loving thing I won't have to constantly adjust the volume on my home system. I like the Nolan trilogy a lot but, jesus christ, one minute I can barely hear the dialogue and the next my windows are rattling with explosion sound effects and over amplified music in ways that managed to get the dog barking and wake the baby. For a while, I honestly thought I had set up my speakers wrong or some poo poo until I watched Rises at my in laws and the same thing happened.

The gently caress was Nolan doing with his sound balance? I don't remember Batman Begins having this issue but TDK and TDKR definitely did and made me keep my sound remote nearby. I've heard he's done similar poo poo some of his other films that I haven't seen. I seem to recall Momento and Inception being OK too but his Batman "mix" is super hosed up.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

massive spider posted:

I'm taking up a solid third of the thread at this point with thoughts but best part about the ending:

The riddlers plan mostly succeeds and Batman doesn't actually save the city from catastrophe, just saves a few people. He's just a guy in a suit, all he can do is save a handful and maybe hope to inspire hope. Except he can't even do that unless he sorts himself out first.

The visual of Batman leading the citizens of Gotham out of the darkness is so perfectly cinematic but also really in line with its comic origins I absolutely loved it.

The one problem I always had with the Nolan Batman films is that he always seemed almost embarrassed of Batman's legacy in the comics. This film perfectly embraced both those world to me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Darko posted:

Dark Knight has a bunch of stuff happening quickly in a 2 and a half hour movie. The movie jumps main focuses/plots around 4 times within the movie itself - if it ended in the middle, it would have been an ESB style negative ending movie with full arcs, but then it had like 2 more after it.

This is the opposite where not much is going on, but it's going on very slowly to immerse you in mood - which worked for me at first, but which waned on me towards the end.

Can you elaborate on that? I keep hearing "movie too long" as a common crticism.

And regarding TDK: I enjoyed the fast pace and all the crazy poo poo happening - mainly because Ledger was so mesmerizing to watch, it fit into the "chaos" theme and the action scenes were pretty top notch right from the jump. But the third act had too much happening and, worse, Harvey barely got an arc. He had his establishment as a good guy but then he had like a half hour being crazy while playing second fiddle to Joker. He got his villain origin story and then just loving died. Eckhart was really good and I was hoping he'd get more screen time.

Not saying I'd have broken TDK in the middle but I might have done it to where Harvey faked his death in the film or something like that and then given him something to do in the third movie where he could have played off Bane in ways that made The Dent Act crumble, expose it as a fraud or at least more than just a symbolic plot element. He's such a great character and I was sorry to see him come and go so fast, especially since I think there were ways to write him into Rises.

Not sure how well I worded all that but TL/DR: I wish Eckhart had a little more time to shine somehow.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/dinoray/status/1499806376893181952?s=21

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Man, I did not like this movie, there was some good stuff and I was rooting for Pattinson but it just seemed to be monologue after monologue, even when Batman was doing detective poo poo he’d just kind of stare broodingly and then magically figure it out.
I also thought the score was great but poorly used and that shithouse nirvana sounding song was really poorly placed.
The shot of him entering falcones lair and taking out all the gangsters with guns was cool as well as the upside down shot of him emerging from the flaming car
I also actually really liked the Riddler in this the creepy incel type character worked really well for that…..

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Another great thing about the sound design in this movie was the weight of Batman's footsteps in certain scenes.

The way the movie used the score and sound in the scene that introduced Batman was fantastic.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 5, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you elaborate on that? I keep hearing "movie too long" as a common crticism.

And regarding TDK: I enjoyed the fast pace and all the crazy poo poo happening - mainly because Ledger was so mesmerizing to watch, it fit into the "chaos" theme and the action scenes were pretty top notch right from the jump. But the third act had too much happening and, worse, Harvey barely got an arc. He had his establishment as a good guy but then he had like a half hour being crazy while playing second fiddle to Joker. He got his villain origin story and then just loving died. Eckhart was really good and I was hoping he'd get more screen time.

Not saying I'd have broken TDK in the middle but I might have done it to where Harvey faked his death in the film or something like that and then given him something to do in the third movie where he could have played off Bane in ways that made The Dent Act crumble, expose it as a fraud or at least more than just a symbolic plot element. He's such a great character and I was sorry to see him come and go so fast, especially since I think there were ways to write him into Rises.

Not sure how well I worded all that but TL/DR: I wish Eckhart had a little more time to shine somehow.

There's a good three minute scene where it shows two characters riding motorcycles to an intersection and then splitting off in different directions intead of cutting to them getting to the intersection and separating and saving 2:30. The movie is very deliberate and full of shots like that. "Normal" editing would probably save 45 minutes - this is shot a lot like Solaris or something with the style of editing where it always shows a point A to point B without editing it out. That's why it's so long.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I think my favorite thing about this film is that It comes down to Batman saving the everyday average citizens of Gotham. Typically most Batman films threaten huge harm to the citizens, but Batman usually saves those closest to him or big name people. There are some exceptions like seemingly sacrificing himself in TDKR or getting rid of the balloons in Batman 89, but it's not something that's touched on as much in modern Bat films. As someone said, the shot of him leading them out of the darkness is just fantastic. As a lifelong Batman fan, I was moved in a way no Batman movie has ever moved me. It felt like there would actually be some hope for Gotham City, which is super rare. Loved it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gaz2k21 posted:

Man, I did not like this movie, there was some good stuff and I was rooting for Pattinson but it just seemed to be monologue after monologue, even when Batman was doing detective poo poo he’d just kind of stare broodingly and then magically figure it out.
I also thought the score was great but poorly used and that shithouse nirvana sounding song was really poorly placed.
The shot of him entering falcones lair and taking out all the gangsters with guns was cool as well as the upside down shot of him emerging from the flaming car
I also actually really liked the Riddler in this the creepy incel type character worked really well for that…..

I don't think there were scenes where he "magically" figured things out, they were clearly deduced following a logic or reason

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

my favorite character in the movie was tony soprano

but for real, it was p good. very stylish and, for the most part, fun. some fat i probably would have cut but did not realize it was three hours until i walked out.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I loved Batman as Will Graham but it definitely feels around the two hour mark like the studio came in and told Reeves that they've got toys and Little Caesars to sell so he needs to throw in some explosions.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As the Twitter responses amply demonstrate, a scene of harassment on public transit against an Asian man is triggering, especially in light of recent waves of anti-AAPI hate and senseless violence.

There needs to be, or at least I'd like to see, more context/analysis of how the Asian man not being physically struck, and subsequently being rescued by Batman, does not soften the triggering effect for audiences. The hypothetical escapist value of Batman taking on a violent gang doesn't negate the on-screen use of a 'violence against asians' trope.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/CosmonautMarcus/status/1499836524120227846

Darko posted:

Armond's reviews are driven with an ultra current right wing agenda, which even colors his "good" reviews when you realize why he's writing them or where he's coming from.
gently caress armond, ngl

https://twitter.com/3xchair/status/966071975625068544

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 5, 2022

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Yo waddup it’s ya boy RIDDLA with ANOTHER reaction video, don’t forget to like, fave and SMASH that subscribe button

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gaz2k21 posted:

that shithouse nirvana sounding song was really poorly placed.

You mean the (good) actual Nirvana song?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I genuinely have no clue what kind of Batman movie would please anyone talking about how let down they were by this movie, since people are mostly grunting about length, but this was absolute bliss for me. This was operating on pure vibes and I loved every second of it. It could've been even longer. I can't wait for the three spinoff shows and the sequel.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

You mean the (good) actual Nirvana song?

Wild that anyone could speak against one of Nirvana's best songs and it's chords being used as a leitmotif throughout this movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Space_Butler posted:

I genuinely have no clue what kind of Batman movie would please anyone talking about how let down they were by this movie, since people are mostly grunting about length, but this was absolute bliss for me. This was operating on pure vibes and I loved every second of it. It could've been even longer. I can't wait for the three spinoff shows and the sequel.

I am much more interested in a Catwoman movie than shows about the Penguin or GCPD, or even Batman 2.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

some slightly more coherent thoughts:

i enjoyed the movie quite a bit. my general feeling is that it was its absolute best when it depicted batman, not as a romantic hero, not as a suave detective, but as a wholly alien creature who does not fit in with his surroundings. the opening sequence at the manor is excellent in how disorienting it is, how it forces the viewer to contend with how creepy the batman is by giving batman's normal attributes (his stealth, his intelligence, his seeming omnipresence, his capacity for violence) to the villain and forcing the viewer watch as he inflicts them on other ostensive "villains" all the scenes of batman as "bruce wayne" trying to interact with normal people were also very good because they depict him as this awkward, broken guy and not as someone admirable.

where the movie lost me a bit was when it tried to double-back on this idea. like, i didn't need a sequence where alfred explains that batman's parents were good, actually, nor the over-the-top ending with batman in full get-up helping the national guard. hated the scene of batman diving into the water, moving a singular piece of rubble, and then dramatically leading "the common folk" out of the darkness.

i also thought it was remarkable how contemporary this movie was in its anxieties. like, im sure other people in this thread have mentioned that the central villain is effectively an alt-right incel and his internet friends whose ire is directed generally against collapsing institutions and the "elites" who represent them. gun violence is emphasized throughout. the finale had shades both of the ever-constant threat of climate change and January 6th. i would be very surprised if "drops" were not intended to be a parallel to the opioid epidemic and if the scene on the subway was not deliberately invoking the anti-Asian violence.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 5, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

also i audibly groaned when the loving joker appears right before the credits. please god, i don't want to see the joker in a movie for another five years. the whole thing is so tired.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

also i audibly groaned when the loving joker appears right before the credits. please god, i don't want to see the joker in a movie for another five years. the whole thing is so tired.

Matt Reeves did say that this wasn't meant to signal that he was going to appear in the next movie, just as further establishing the Rogues Gallery which was a big goal of the movie. Not so much an origin story of Batman but the origins of the Rogues Gallery.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Well that was three hours long

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Thought it was a very entertaining Batman movie and I didn't notice the length

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Matt Reeves did say that this wasn't meant to signal that he was going to appear in the next movie, just as further establishing the Rogues Gallery which was a big goal of the movie. Not so much an origin story of Batman but the origins of the Rogues Gallery.

It's funny how Batman's got this legendary rogues gallery but we've had the Riddler, Penguin, Two Face, Bane and even Zsasz twice, Catwoman three times and the Joker now four times not including Phoenix.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 5, 2022

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I think it's time for a gritty Batman vs Solomon Grundy movie.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Give us Calendar Man

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also worlds greatest detective maybe check out the angle of the mayors pics to find paul dano's lair

Felt like a pg-13 se7en

Penguin was the best character

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just saw this. I thought the film did a better job of showing Gotham as being a dirty gross city than previous batman movies. Just looks very grungy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

live with fruit posted:

I am much more interested in a Catwoman movie than shows about the Penguin or GCPD, or even Batman 2.
And I am the exact opposite.