Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lol it's The Batman, not loving Solaris. Your stupid caped punchman movie does not need nearly 3 hours to express its ARRRTTTTTTT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Evidently it did!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It being as bloated as it was just made it more incoherent. :shrug:

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
I'm pretty meh on the film. I just prefer my superhero movies to have a little more camp and a bit more melodrama to them. That's not to say that I think the film is completely realistic or doesn't have a sense of humor about itself. But it takes a few steps further down the "grounded and serious" than Nolan did.

I feel similar to the way I did about Joker. In the attempt to be "Cinema" it ends up feeling a little too much like a pastiche of other, better movies. The Dark Knight takes influence from Heat and The Taking of the Pelham 123, but it still has its own distinct tone and feel. With The Batman, I was just thinking so often, "This is from the Chinatown, this from Halloween, this is from Seven" Which I would probably be fine with if it just had a little bit more of that special super hero sauce.

I've heard people say this takes from the Long Halloween, but that was also a comic where Joker had twice as many teeth as a normal human and Catwoman was in a literal purple cat costume.

As for the runtime, I don't think the film always make great use of it. When the mystery is being used as a vehicle to explore the character of Batman, it works fine. But for scenes when it is meant to stand as a mystery on its own, I don't think it really works.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was kind of bummed out that Andy Serkis wasn't given more to do. The few scenes he was in, I thought he was really good and the way the plot unfolded, I thought the opportunity to use him more was right there. If you take this movie and expand his role to the level that Michael Caine was afforded, I might have liked to have seen that.

As it is, you could remove Alfred entirely from this movie and not really lose much.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I was kind of bummed out that Andy Serkis wasn't given more to do. The few scenes he was in, I thought he was really good and the way the plot unfolded, I thought the opportunity to use him more was right there. If you take this movie and expand his role to the level that Michael Caine was afforded, I might have liked to have seen that.

As it is, you could remove Alfred entirely from this movie and not really lose much.

Alfred is central to Bruce's humanization. He only realizes that he actually cares about people because Alfred almost dies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo I cannot believe Alfred was Gollum that is freaking me out

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Babaduck posted:

I'm pretty meh on the film. I just prefer my superhero movies to have a little more camp and a bit more melodrama to them. That's not to say that I think the film is completely realistic or doesn't have a sense of humor about itself. But it takes a few steps further down the "grounded and serious" than Nolan did.

I feel similar to the way I did about Joker. In the attempt to be "Cinema" it ends up feeling a little too much like a pastiche of other, better movies. The Dark Knight takes influence from Heat and The Taking of the Pelham 123, but it still has its own distinct tone and feel. With The Batman, I was just thinking so often, "This is from the Chinatown, this from Halloween, this is from Seven" Which I would probably be fine with if it just had a little bit more of that special super hero sauce.

I've heard people say this takes from the Long Halloween, but that was also a comic where Joker had twice as many teeth as a normal human and Catwoman was in a literal purple cat costume.

As for the runtime, I don't think the film always make great use of it. When the mystery is being used as a vehicle to explore the character of Batman, it works fine. But for scenes when it is meant to stand as a mystery on its own, I don't think it really works.

If one was uncharitable, TB even steals from TDK

https://twitter.com/theSNYDERVERSE/status/1520361468402749444?s=20&t=KICHva37h8gH3RbEuYjxNA

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh no a movie isn’t fully original

Heaven forbid. It’s not like their namesake used images directly from a source or anything

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

You can actually see what's happening in Reeves' version.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Kicking rear end through a crowded nightclub is just good filmmaking

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah I really don’t see what’s similar there other than “Batman has a fight in a nightclub” and nightclub fights are just loving cool

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

they all stand on the shoulders of Blade, which heavily cribs from 70s action movies as is

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah I really don’t see what’s similar there other than “Batman has a fight in a nightclub” and nightclub fights are just loving cool

It’s Batman fighting his way through a nightclub in order to confront a mobster and stops fighting once he comes face to face with him that makes it feel so similar.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Now this is a nightclub fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFwTw0Z6nM

They should let batman use guns. They're cool.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The bat throw into the dudes chest is when he truly became The Bat Man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

well why not posted:

they all stand on the shoulders of Blade, which heavily cribs from 70s action movies as is

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
I know it's from the comics, but it's so sad that the Penguin's night club is called The Iceberg Lounge, and not Club Penguin.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I actually enjoyed almost every second of this deeply stupid movie but I'll never watch it again.

No point in reiterating the issues about the runtime and script so I'll just spit out some of the nice bits:

The Batman is kinda sexy. The movie that is. The character is a mostly unlikeable psychopath goober. But like, this Gotham is deliciously seedy and sumptuous. Best rendition yet.

The detective'ing was fun. I laughed when the Bat silently guided one of the police to a blood splatter. The movie was subtle as a brick about the parallels between Batman and his victims but I didn't mind too much because it reinforced how/why he'd have such an intuitive sense about crime (because, y'know, he's a full-time predator and criminal).

The Bat believing that because Annika "chose" the life that got her killed means she also deserved it was hosed up and a good way to show the Bat's privileged/damaged mindset.

The Penguin. Colin Farrell obviously had a lot of fun.

Catwoman. The little we got, anyway. I wish the movie had excised some of the bullshit and used that time to show more of Catwoman and her world and interweave it with Batman's through their investigations (giving him some much needed exposure therapy).

Weird movie.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Dark knight nightclub fight was done before in the animated series anyway lol

And you could technically argue Batman forever had its own club scene as well as B&R.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's crazy how influential Nolan's movies were. Now every villain has to have a hosed up weird voice which Paul Dano whiffs hard and Alfred has to be an ex-military style hard case.

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022

Human Tornada posted:

It's crazy how influential Nolan's movies were. Now every villain has to have a hosed up weird voice which Paul Dano whiffs hard and Alfred has to be an ex-military style hard case.

Paul Dano's Riddler is one of those nerds that's watched The Dark Knight 500 times and thinks he's the Joker.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Alfred is more or less the alfred from the earth one comics.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Was Caine a hard case? He had that tangerine story but other than he mostly just helps Bruce with the logistics.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

live with fruit posted:

Was Caine a hard case? He had that tangerine story but other than he mostly just helps Bruce with the logistics.

That’s the issue. He has that cool monologue that paints him as a guy who had some hard rear end days. But now everything after him has to paint Alfred as a super sick bad rear end.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Hasn't that been a part of his backstory in the comics for ages?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Rob posted:

That’s the issue. He has that cool monologue that paints him as a guy who had some hard rear end days. But now everything after him has to paint Alfred as a super sick bad rear end.

It does make more sense than Michael Gough coming straight out of Downton Abbey and making Batsuits.

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
Call me old fashioned, but I like my Alfred as a svelte, old British man who brings Bruce tea and stitches up his tights every now and then. There's something vaguely maternal about it that serves as a nice contrast to Batman.

Edit:
I understand why they made the take they did on Alfred. Having Alfred be a buffer and more conventionally masculine figure makes Bruce in comparison seem younger and more adolescent, not just in his physique but in his worldview.

Babaduck fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 1, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bale's Batman never really comes across as a broken person when he's being Batman (the emotional angst of his character arc is Rachel's death, which makes him give up being Batman). He comes across as 'having a good time' and Caine and Freeman both agree it's a good time which is why they also have fun helping him.

e: hell Bale's Wayne basically goes though Patterson's entire arc in this film in the first 30 minutes of Begins. The League offers him the chance to be Venegance, he decides what he really wants to do is help Gotham.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 1, 2022

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Alchenar posted:

Bale's Batman never really comes across as a broken person when he's being Batman (the emotional angst of his character arc is Rachel's death, which makes him give up being Batman). He comes across as 'having a good time' and Caine and Freeman both agree it's a good time which is why they also have fun helping him.

e: hell Bale's Wayne basically goes though Patterson's entire arc in this film in the first 30 minutes of Begins. The League offers him the chance to be Venegance, he decides what he really wants to do is help Gotham.

To me that’s a cool thing because Batman should be cool and fun. I know people love to do the oh man this thing for kids is actually hosed up thing, but at the end of the day. It’s a story about a man in a batsuit fighting clowns and riddle guys. There should be some fun in it. Being Batman should be cool to some extent.

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
With each new reboot of the Batman franchise we are inching closer and closer to Darren Aronofksy's script for Batman: Year One.

It is 2034. I am forty years old. I am watching a darker, grittier Batman movie. Batman is a man in a black ski mask. He derives his name from beating criminals with a baseball bat. Fans online say it is the Batman movie they have always wanted.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Batman might have a man getting his face eaten by rats but it's still lighter than BvS.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Alfred doesn't really come across as a badass, he spends most of his scenes on the verge of tears over the Waynes

Monglo posted:

Yeah, but, as someone else noted above, is part of a buy-in that you have to make to accept a superhero story. Otherwise every one of them becomes a critique of superhero genre without trying and justification, because it's inherently absurd to become a themed masked vigilante.
Like, is the original Superman comic from the 30s about a crazy alien in pajamas who fights "working class" purse thieves on the streets? No, it's a silly premise that you just have to accept to engage with the story or accept that it's too simplistic and naive for you.

Well personally I don't care about buy-in or immersion or things like that, so that's rarely an issue for me. Same with intent or justification - you can critique the superheroes even in the stories that are trying to avoid doing that (and I don't think Reeves is, not entirely). It adds to the fun ime, but ymmv of course

Funny enough but OG Supes wasn't an alien at first, I forget when they introduced that an explanation for his powers. His targets aren't petty criminals criminals though, you're right. Superman terrorizes gangsters and politicians and capitalists, the only 'small time' crook I can recall Supes taking out (literally drowns him in the harbour!) is a pawnshop owner who was exploiting a youth gang.

In conclusion, old timey Superman rules

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BvS is “dark” in the same sense that like, Empire Strikes back is because it’s the middle of an intended trilogy and the good guys “lose” (or at least end up in a rough spot they need to get out of in the eventual climax).

The performative hand wringing over “dark” super hero movies is obnoxious anyway, as if they all need to be homogenous and having a multitude of styles is somehow a bad thing. 9 times out of 10 it’s some appeal to authority crap where people are trying to prove their tastes are scientifically superior, or anyway it’s YouTubers trying to get clicks off that demographic.

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
People can say what they want about BvS, but at least when you watch that movie you understand why it's three hours (Ultimate Edition.) Shortly after The Batman I was wondering to myself what took it that long. It's like trying to remember a dream you had the night before and having to fill in all the blanks.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Babaduck posted:

Paul Dano's Riddler is one of those nerds that's watched The Dark Knight 500 times and thinks he's the Joker.

I was hoping for more of a serial killer vibe, what with his exceedingly boring day job and the Zodiac outfit and Dahmer glasses. The online angle feels like an idea from six years ago.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The movie was good overall despite the overindulgent run time and having only watched the director's cut of BvS and based on what people here are saying that it fixes a lot of issues of the original version I can only surmise the theatrical cut was just a snuff film

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Man this really highlights how much better the action is in The Batman.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
yeah the batman bodies all the other poo poo made since the burton movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

unlimited shrimp posted:

I was hoping for more of a serial killer vibe, what with his exceedingly boring day job and the Zodiac outfit and Dahmer glasses. The online angle feels like an idea from six years ago.

January 6th 2021 was just over a year ago.