Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Man this really highlights how much better the action is in The Batman.

It always annoyed me that they went for that Keysi fighting bullshit with Bale's Batman. The bat mask kind of made Bale look a bit dorky and cross-eyed from certain angles, then a fight would break out and he'd do that "answering two telephones at once" thing and wade into a fight. Which was a shame because Bale has done so many physical roles and could have probably nailed any style they put in front of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dog_Meat posted:

he'd do that "answering two telephones at once" thing

Oh gently caress you I'm never going to be able to watch those films again now

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Man this really highlights how much better the action is in The Batman.

Dog_Meat posted:

It always annoyed me that they went for that Keysi fighting bullshit with Bale's Batman. The bat mask kind of made Bale look a bit dorky and cross-eyed from certain angles, then a fight would break out and he'd do that "answering two telephones at once" thing and wade into a fight. Which was a shame because Bale has done so many physical roles and could have probably nailed any style they put in front of him.
The Keysi stuff absolutely made the films worse. I get what they were trying to convey, but it's awkward and unintuitive and difficult for an actor who's already wearing a hot heavy suit. In The Dark Knight you can even see mooks lining up waiting for their turn to attack Batman.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

idk what’s the keysi style but mooks lining up was absolutely a thing in this movie too, most prominently at the subway fight

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Vegetable posted:

idk what’s the keysi style but mooks lining up was absolutely a thing in this movie too, most prominently at the subway fight

I only saw the new one once and was a bit zoned out when the subway fight happened, but while it was very much "line up and wait your turn" it still felt like the gang were getting hits in that were being shrugged off until he got round to dealing with them. The same thing happened in the Batfleck warehouse fight too.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Keysi stuff absolutely made the films worse. I get what they were trying to convey, but it's awkward and unintuitive and difficult for an actor who's already wearing a hot heavy suit. In The Dark Knight you can even see mooks lining up waiting for their turn to attack Batman.

I remember first coming across the Keysi style in one of the old pre-internet martial arts magazines and it always looked clumsy and impractical, but it was different enough and kinda cribbed a few krav maga style techniques that helped to market it. The "answer the phone" guard is a legit thing in bare knuckle fighting (Rampage Jackson used the phone block a lot in the Pride fighting days) and elements of Tyson's peek-a-boo style obviously had a genuine use, but it was all packaged in a very awkward, jerky style that relied on the other person either telegraphing massively or using the same style in return. Concepts like "limb destruction" have since been dropped as they rarely work on real opponents and I was surprised to see it surface in a major film with a character known for being a ferocious fighter and in the internet age.

Like you say, the Bale suit wasn't as restrictive as the Keaton suit, but when you combined it with a weirdly static style in looked clumsy.

I always thought Batman should have that Michael Jai White style of big, strong, crisp techniques that aren't flashy but are timed and executed perfectly with a BIG dude behind it. A Batman punch should look like the perfect karate reverse punch with armour plated knuckles and focused rage. Batman is one character where having someone score one-hit knockouts shouldn't look wrong.

That said, I liked how Battison clearly had technique, but had the frothing rage bubbling up with it that made it look like wild swinging but with scary accuracy. As silly as the police station scene was, him shoving multiple cops with autistic rage strength worked for me.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dog_Meat posted:

him shoving multiple cops with autistic rage strength worked for me.

I shouldn’t laugh at that but lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Halloween Jack posted:

People poo poo on Begins for the fight direction but I thought he worked better doing the invisible ninja poo poo than the mowing down mooks on an assembly line approach.

Battison was just a complete loving psycho and I really dug it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The choreography was significantly better in Begins, before Batman mastered techniques like the punch to the leg, headbutt to the stomach, and that thing where he's going to put you in a headlock but just lets you go for some reason.

Dog_Meat posted:

I remember first coming across the Keysi style in one of the old pre-internet martial arts magazines and it always looked clumsy and impractical, but it was different enough and kinda cribbed a few krav maga style techniques that helped to market it. The "answer the phone" guard is a legit thing in bare knuckle fighting (Rampage Jackson used the phone block a lot in the Pride fighting days) and elements of Tyson's peek-a-boo style obviously had a genuine use, but it was all packaged in a very awkward, jerky style that relied on the other person either telegraphing massively or using the same style in return.
As you probably know, most martial arts schools teach self-defense as a bunch of scripted combinations--when the guy throws a punch you do this block, this punch, this throw, ta-da, you won. Keysi's gimmick was doing the same thing with some bits they took from MMA and Filipino martial arts, since those were big. Seeing people practice that stuff the same way they'd practice purple belt karate techniques is really awkward.

And you know that Keysi is "for the street" because they look like they're on the set of a Cypress Hill music video from 1995.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 2, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Vegetable posted:

I think with these it makes a lot more sense than with trained assassins or soldiers or whatever, you can see them egg each other on and being like "you can take him bro" but nobody really wants to be the first to take a swing at the psycho in the suit, and they are all super wary and careful. Many of them really don't want to be in that fight, so they are more than happy to let the cockier members take a swing first.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

People poo poo on Begins for the fight direction but I thought he worked better doing the invisible ninja poo poo than the mowing down mooks on an assembly line approach.

Yeah, when I was younger I wanted to see cool fight scenes in plain sight, but Batman is literally the guy who comes out of the shadows and fucks you up before your buddy knows what happened. Begins version of Bale looks like he'll reach down from a rafter, pick you up, cave in your skull then drop you for your fellow mooks to find and cause panic.

Halloween Jack posted:

The choreography was significantly better in Begins, before Batman mastered techniques like the punch to the leg, headbutt to the stomach, and that thing where he's going to put you in a headlock but just lets you go for some reason.

As you probably know, most martial arts schools teach self-defense as a bunch of scripted combinations--when the guy throws a punch you do this block, this punch, this throw, ta-da, you won. Keysi's gimmick was doing the same thing with some bits they took from MMA and Filipino martial arts, since those were big. Seeing people practice that stuff the same way they'd practice purple belt karate techniques is really awkward.

And you know that Keysi is "for the street" because they look like they're on the set of a Cypress Hill music video from 1995.

Agreed on Begins. It wasn't as distracting as it was just flashes of violence. And the training scenes on the lake and on the wooden posts looked good. But by the time you got to Rises and you had Batman walking in broad daylight up the steps of city hall in the middle of what looked like a soccer riot it just looked goddam awful!

Thing is, those scripted routines can look cool in a movie as long as they look organic. Some of the Bourne fights were great because he pulled off silly krav maga techniques, but the choreography made it look like he'd legit caught his opponents out and it flowed really well. The Keysi stuff kinda looks like a kid pretending he's a porcupine, holding his own ears then windmilling his elbows like baby's first mosh pit.

I watched the original Blade again recently and I'd forgotten how good Snipes' style was for conveying the impression of power in the last group fight ("FROOOST!"). Simple but clean, straight strikes being sold by the stunt team really gave the impression that he was hitting above human levels. Batman should be a big-dude version of that.

I kinda like that Battinson's style was somewhere between Captain America and Jake the Muss though

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I need to give Blade another watch.

Probably been about 15 years but I remember loving it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Snipes' style in all three movies is very much in the "green belt kempo karate combinations" school, but that's fine, it works for the story they're telling and the way the scenes are filmed. There's just one little thing that kinda takes me out of the action in Blade 3. Once they've established that he has incredible superhuman strength, one wonders why he still needs green belt karate combos to beat up security guards, when he could splatter them with a single blow.

I just saw a good summary of what's so weird about Keysi from a YT video picking it apart: everything about Keysi looks like they want to close distance and clinch. But as soon as they're in clinch range, they start doing weeiiird stuff like spinning elbows and ducking so you can punch your enemy in the leg.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I streamed it over three sittings over three days like a miniseries, and I'd have streamed it over two days if it had a normal-amount runtime, so I wasn't really phased by the runtime.

In the real world, a non-corrupt state Bureau of Investigation would start investigating Gotham's police department's corruption after it's exposed by The Riddler, or else said _BI would be corrupt, too, but that breaks the isolation of the setting to Gotham that's key to the franchise.

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022

galenanorth posted:

I streamed it over three sittings over three days like a miniseries, and I'd have streamed it over two days if it had a normal-amount runtime, so I wasn't really phased by the runtime.

I know I'm not the first to say this, but the structure and pacing of The Batman makes it feel more like three episodes of an HBO show than it does a movie. Just the nature of this slow deliberate pace with some plot relevant and character driven moments sprinkled throughout, with just enough happening to get you watch the next episode. People have said that the Alfred moments feel very sparse, but when you think of it in terms of a single Alfred scene per episode it makes a bit more sense.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah Nolan can't direct a fight scene to save his life, so this was a vast improvement, not the least because they didn't have a god drat shakeycam on the action.

Still doesn't touch the warehouse scene though :colbert:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Babaduck posted:

I know I'm not the first to say this, but the structure and pacing of The Batman makes it feel more like three episodes of an HBO show than it does a movie. Just the nature of this slow deliberate pace with some plot relevant and character driven moments sprinkled throughout, with just enough happening to get you watch the next episode. People have said that the Alfred moments feel very sparse, but when you think of it in terms of a single Alfred scene per episode it makes a bit more sense.

This was my feeling towards it also. The detective portions, which I enjoyed, felt like they could be part of a prestige drama. There was even multiple murders to spread out for episodes. I guess budget would have likely been much less though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

checkplease posted:

This was my feeling towards it also. The detective portions, which I enjoyed, felt like they could be part of a prestige drama. There was even multiple murders to spread out for episodes. I guess budget would have likely been much less though.

Hours two and three do do that thing prestige dramas do where they wrap things up in the penultimate episode and then spend the finale setting up the next season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eh Club Fight scenes are part of the action genre.

Honestly this makes The Batman look better. At least the action choreography was fun to watch there and actually was trying to say something (this dude in a bat suit is super hosed up)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There are parts of the cinematography I really liked. Any time they use a ton of red lights it looked badass as heck. But the POV shot of Batman flying off the police HQ was shockingly amateurish. It looked like an old timie film in its cheapness. Got big lols from that.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the muzzle flash in the dark scene was absolutely incredible too.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Taking down Falcone is a phenomenal ending for episode 2.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ammanas posted:

the muzzle flash in the dark scene was absolutely incredible too.

It played a lot better in the film compared to cut up in the trailers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Saw the movie today. I thought it was pretty good.

The superhero/villain outfits look kinda terrible for everyone not named Batman, but I kinda liked what was done with the Riddler, even if it was a bit too gruesome for my taste and he kinda lost me whenever he started shouting or singing. The big climax with the flooding started out kind of neat, where Batman is too late to stop his plan, but everything after that was kind of a wet fart. Particularly the part where Batman is hanging from a ledge, gets up and fights everyone off again, only to wind up falling over the ledge again like twenty seconds later.

The romance with Catwoman also seemed kinda fast, but I feel that way about every live action Catwoman romance, particularly when she's doing poo poo like "I'm gonna kill this guy". At least let her work out her issues in one film before you start trying to pair her off. Also, the police just kinda forgot about Batman punching out Gordon and beating up some other officers? :shrug:

Penguin was great. The resulting car chase was also great. No idea how Penguin isn't arrested for that alone, though, let alone pulling a gun in front of, like, every cop in the city and trying to shoot a man in their custody.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 4, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I really think the film works best watching it in two (or maybe even three) sittings.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought it worked great as a movie that I watched in one sitting (which is also the way the director wants you to watch it)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Please don’t spend nine hours of your life watching new batman

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I really think the film works best watching it in two (or maybe even three) sittings.

When I rewatched it, I paused it two or three times and I think that helped a lot (not that I thought the length was a problem to begin with).

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I'm watching a minute a year for the next 300 years. It's the only way to watch.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Re: penguin & the cops

A lot of the cops are his co-workers, and he just promoted himself to boss

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought it worked great as a movie that I watched in one sitting (which is also the way the director wants you to watch it)

Well I guess Matt Reeves can take it up with me if it bothers him. I liked his apes movies very much. I'm not gonna change my opinion because the chef insists I don't need salt on my food.

I'm glad you dug it one sitting though. I was burned out half way through at 10pm and happy to watch the rest the next afternoon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Watching the new Bat-Man! On your loving! Phone!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

Watching the new Bat-Man! On your loving! Phone!

This is maybe peak “Boomer” but while watching a recent H.Bomberguy video he mentioned that according to statistics most people were watching this 3 hour video about Deus Ex on their phone or mobile device and it absolutely floored me. If content lasts longer than 5 minutes I just wait to get home and put it on the TV. Watching an entire feature length film on your phone? There’s just no way on Earth I could do that. I didn’t shell out a fortune on LASIK to squint at compressed and desaturated bullshit!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

This is maybe peak “Boomer” but while watching a recent H.Bomberguy video he mentioned that according to statistics most people were watching this 3 hour video about Deus Ex on their phone or mobile device and it absolutely floored me. If content lasts longer than 5 minutes I just wait to get home and put it on the TV. Watching an entire feature length film on your phone? There’s just no way on Earth I could do that. I didn’t shell out a fortune on LASIK to squint at compressed and desaturated bullshit!

Different kind of media though. "Guy talks about stuff in excruciating detail" content is most likely consumed while doing chores, cooking, falling asleep or making GBS threads.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If a vlog is just someone talking to their computer, I don't actually watch it while I'm cooking and cleaning. Hell, I usually just convert it to mp3.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I recently watched the 1966 Adam West Batman and The Batman 2022 all in one sitting. Five hours and twelve minutes of awesomeness.

But which movie is actually better? I shall now explore this question at great length (thread)

(1/241)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bust Rodd posted:

"Or Mobile Device" doing a lot of work there. If you wanna watch some youtube video in bed, while folding laundry/doing chores, or on the shitter, you're going to use some sort of apple or android tablet. It's what they're for.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

MrMojok posted:

I recently watched the 1966 Adam West Batman and The Batman 2022 all in one sitting. Five hours and twelve minutes of awesomeness.

But which movie is actually better? I shall now explore this question at great length (thread)

(1/241)

Don't joke, this would rule

Do it, coward

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I would've liked to see Frank Gorshin as a terrorist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MrMojok posted:

(1/241)

Depends on how many grams of mushrooms you eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MrMojok posted:

(1/241)

1966 Batman and it’s not even close. Like not even a little bit. Batman’s helicopter goes down but they land at the Gotham foam convention. A shark explodes. Batman tries to get rid of a bomb but there are nuns and baby ducks and Boy Scouts.