Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

Depends on how many grams of mushrooms you eat

I doubt it's a possible to take enough to think that The Batman is better than Batman: The Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you ever want to feel absolutely great about your life, go read old interviews with Burt Ward about life as Batman’s sidekick. You’d finish a take and break for lunch and there’d be a pair of women broken in to your trailer to keep you company when you got there. He and Adam West were putting up Ghenghis Khan level numbers off that corny Batman shark repellant GoGo dancer poo poo, just completely insane.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

If a vlog is just someone talking to their computer, I don't actually watch it while I'm cooking and cleaning. Hell, I usually just convert it to mp3.

I watch it while being slowly lowered into a vat of acid

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022

The_Rob posted:

1966 Batman and it’s not even close. Like not even a little bit. Batman’s helicopter goes down but they land at the Gotham foam convention. A shark explodes. Batman tries to get rid of a bomb but there are nuns and baby ducks and Boy Scouts.

Agreed. Batman: The Movie is a far stronger film. While I don't think The Batman is by any means the worst movie in its franchise, it certainly feels like the most disposable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo-wkPCxt_A

T1J makes the argument that The Batman maybe should have been a Catowman movie. An argument I can 100% get behind. Especially since so much of the movie's ideas are just said by Selina in dialogue and Batman just goes, "Huh, yeah, I guess." The rise and struggles of Catwoman seems far more intriguing to me than the wokening of Batman.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Babaduck posted:

Agreed. Batman: The Movie is a far stronger film. While I don't think The Batman is by any means the worst movie in its franchise, it certainly feels like the most disposable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo-wkPCxt_A

T1J makes the argument that The Batman maybe should have been a Catowman movie. An argument I can 100% get behind. Especially since so much of the movie's ideas are just said by Selina in dialogue and Batman just goes, "Huh, yeah, I guess." The rise and struggles of Catwoman seems far more intriguing to me than the wokening of Batman.

with the exception of batman: the movie all the best batman moves have him as a sort of peripheral figure, or at least not as the sole focus and protagonist. beavis, batman returns, and the dark knight all focus at least as much on other characters

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Late to the thread, but I’ve watched this movie three times now and determined that it is both the best and worst Batman movie.

-The music is absolutely fantastic.

-Pattinson does a very “angry and want to hurt people” violent Batman well.

-The World’s Greatest Detective thing is at least sort of there, even if the answer is obvious

-Batman actually scares the bad guys

-Bruce Wayne is an alabaster looking weirdo who wears sunglasses because he isn’t used to the daylight

The movie failed on a lot of levels, but overall I like it a lot more with each watch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

I watch it while being slowly lowered into a vat of acid

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Is he also the guy that went "BATMAN EEEH"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yeah

I love Jery Lewis extra guy

69 Body Problem
Apr 3, 2023

by vyelkin

Marin Karin posted:

yeah the batman bodies all the other poo poo made since the burton movies.

The sanest take in this thread. I have no idea how people could dislike this movie. It had Batman being a fuckin detective for once in the film medium!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

69 Body Problem posted:

The sanest take in this thread. I have no idea how people could dislike this movie. It had Batman being a fuckin detective for once in the film medium!

Yeah I had some nitpicks with it but it ruled and more movies with that cast/in that setting or whatever is probably the only superhero movie stuff I'd be hype for now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

69 Body Problem posted:

a detective that couldn't figure out that "flying rat" meant bat until the penguin explained it to him

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I really didn’t think the detective work stuff was all that good in the movie. Mostly it was just standing around and then Batman would mumble the solution to a riddle. There wasn’t much detecting going on. I would’ve expected a little more in the way of cerebral legwork and solutions.

I didn’t dislike the movie but it definitely felt all three hours of its runtime or however long it was. I’m interested in seeing a sequel but I don’t necessarily think it completely bodied the Nolan films, either. There was stuff to like, along with some flaws. Penguin was really good.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I can’t imagine how anyone would enjoy this more than Dark Knight

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The detective stuff is decent if you take it like Batman is concussed and sleep deprived the entire time because he's spent a year getting hit in the head by hooligans at night. By those standards it makes perfect sense he can't detect worth a drat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Killing 200 people in a car chase so he can workshop riddles with a mobster.

The Batman is OK. Playing Bruce Wayne as an antisocial weirdo is the best part.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Name Change posted:

Killing 200 people in a car chase so he can workshop riddles with a mobster.

The Batman is OK. Playing Bruce Wayne as an antisocial weirdo is the best part.

This was still better than the fingerprint off a bullet fragment in The Dark Knight (I love The Dark Knight too though).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Earlier today I was joking in a chat about how I really wanted to see the Nicolas Winding Refn take on Batman but the more I consider it the more I genuinely do.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I can’t imagine how anyone would enjoy this more than Dark Knight

No Nicky Katt.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

My Lovely Horse posted:

Earlier today I was joking in a chat about how I really wanted to see the Nicolas Winding Refn take on Batman but the more I consider it the more I genuinely do.

i have had literal dreams about a David Fincher Batman film.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i have had literal dreams about a David Fincher Batman film.

Oh, if he did cape poo poo, I’d want something based on The Question.

But what is The Batman if not Matt Reeves aping 90’s Fincher? At this point, I don’t see how different a genuine Fincher superhero film would even be from things that exist.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Only God forgives the batman

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

David Fincher is making a different comic book movie for Netflix, The Killer based on a french neo-noir graphic novel of the same name. Not convinced the protagonist dressing like a bat would improve on that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Name one movie where the MC dressing as a bat wouldn't have improved it

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gaius Marius posted:

Name one movie where the MC dressing as a bat wouldn't have improved it

Cats.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

:wrong:

69 Body Problem
Apr 3, 2023

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYjLT_JVxNo&t=177s

starting at 2:57

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I rewatched TDK and realized I hated most of it except for any Heath Ledger scene.

The detective part of The Batman was a good idea but fell flat. I hope they do a better job next time, as Batman is supposed to be Sherlock Holmes + Ninja and the movies always forget it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Only God forgives the batman

The Neon Gotham

Need a Harvey Dent/Twoface focused flick from Michael Mann

Professor Shark posted:

I rewatched TDK and realized I hated most of it except for any Heath Ledger scene.

The detective part of The Batman was a good idea but fell flat. I hope they do a better job next time, as Batman is supposed to be Sherlock Holmes + Ninja and the movies always forget it

The Dark Knight honestly starts out pretty strong in this respect. Even the exfiltration, not "detective work" per se, but I liked the logistics of them setting up a situation where Batman can get picked up by plane in a different country and stuff. But everything after the bullet scene. Someone earlier posted to that effect but in this case the sort of "realism" Nolan is going for makes the story a lot less interesting. He doesn't know where the bullet's but that's okay because he has $$$$ to get some machines to figure it out for him. He uses $$$ to just say gently caress it make a computer that's omniscient, etc. The going's getting pretty tough with Rachel dying and how Dent turned out? Eh guess I'll just ride off and retire.

The computer part at least, I mean I get they were showing Batman as the US government with his exfiltration of Lau, him and Lucius arguing over the computer's power, etc., but it's a superhero movie so everything turns out with him being right in the end or/and doing the automatic most noble thing I guess sort of?

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The Nolan movies, especially TDK are as much big crime epics as they are superhero movies

I miss the era when superhero movies were about something other than themselves

Basically this, I really appreciate the movie in this respect, but it's almost held back by being a Batman movie. But then again you compare it to a lot of MCU especially superhero flicks we've gotten since and I'd say it holds up a lot better. And I do think Nolan did a good job creating a really palpable sense of danger in the first act that ANYone could get knocked off at any time because of the Joker's absurd planning/drifting in and out of situations as he pleases.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 12, 2023

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Professor Shark posted:

The Nolan movies, especially TDK are as much big crime epics as they are superhero movies

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I like how Batman '89 is also an 80's romcom about the difficulties of dating when you're a neurotic billionaire that fights crime at night in a rubber suit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Any word on the sequel for this? I really like the new Batman

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ain’t gonna be coming for a long time.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Any word on the sequel for this? I really like the new Batman

Coming out 2025, luckily not poo poo canned by the Gunnverse

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gunn wasn’t going to stop it. It’s it’s own thing.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Probably true, but I wonder if the first film (and Joker) would have still entered initial production under the new heads

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gunn talked about keeping movies that are their own thing as elseworlds films. There’s a Superman film produced or starring Michael B Jordan that’s in the works. It might fall apart but Gunn said it was still on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

If you ever want to feel absolutely great about your life, go read old interviews with Burt Ward about life as Batman’s sidekick. You’d finish a take and break for lunch and there’d be a pair of women broken in to your trailer to keep you company when you got there. He and Adam West were putting up Ghenghis Khan level numbers off that corny Batman shark repellant GoGo dancer poo poo, just completely insane.

I really like the new batman, it's funny how he doesn't know about blue collar tools or how to speak spanish. Very billionaire of him.