Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Figure we need a TVIV style thread for tonight's poo poo show as Biden tries to hold this whole democracy thing down. My OP is basically copy and pasted from AP NEws and I figure we can just post about the address it here as it happens if the mods don't care.

I'm especially interested in the GOP response because those are always precious and right now they can obviously lay into Biden no matter what the gently caress he says.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden sat through many State of the Union speeches as a senator and vice president. On Tuesday night, he’ll deliver the address himself.

But it comes at a challenging time for Biden, who is weighed down by public disapproval of his handling of the economy and the pandemic. The address also comes days after Russia opened war against Ukraine, despite U.S.-led efforts to prevent military conflict. And it follows Biden’s announcement last week of his candidate for an opening on the Supreme Court.

WHERE DO I WATCH OR LISTEN?

The speech is set for 9 p.m. EST and will be broadcast by the major networks and cable news TV channels. The White House plans to stream it at WH.gov/live, as well as on its YouTube, Facebook and Twitter pages. Live coverage will also be provided by C-SPAN, C-SPAN Radio and C-SPAN.org. NPR is streaming the speech on its website, npr.org, and on its app, in addition to offering live coverage to its member radio stations.

HOW WILL BIDEN DESCRIBE THE STATE OF THE UNION?

The White House wouldn’t tell in advance. But whether times are good or bad, presidents generally have been consistent in opening these speeches by declaring that “the state of our union is strong ” or words very much like it.

Barbara Perry, director of presidential studies at the University of Virginia’s Miller Center, thinks Biden should go further and acknowledge at the outset that people are feeling pinched by rising prices for everyday staples like food and gas.

“Say the state of the union is strong and say why he thinks that,” Perry said, “but then admit that people are feeling pain and say what he’s doing to try and correct that.”

WHAT WILL BIDEN TALK ABOUT?

Biden will “absolutely use the word inflation” and talk about his plans for reducing costs, said White House press secretary Jen Psaki. He’ll also call on Congress to act on his now-stalled proposals for lowering the cost of child care, elder care and prescription drugs, she said.

Biden will explain the U.S. role in Russia’s war against Ukraine, including rallying the West to support the Ukrainian people, who want to remain independent, Psaki said. Just 26% of those surveyed in a recent Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll said the U.S. should have a major role in the conflict.

Biden can also be expected to discuss Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, his nominee for an upcoming opening on the Supreme Court.

HOW WILL REPUBLICANS RESPOND?

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds has the assignment. Reynolds is the first woman elected governor of that state. She also was the first governor to require schools to reopen for full-time, in-person learning.

Republican leaders portray GOP-led states as doing a better job on the pandemic than the federal government, which is led by Democrats. Reynolds pushed back against mask and vaccine mandates, and spoke skeptically about the effectiveness of masks to slow the spread of the virus.

Separately, Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., will deliver the Working Families Party response, the party announced. Tlaib will offer support for Biden’s agenda, urge Democrats to pass policies that meet people’s needs and rally progressives to build strong majorities in the midterm elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In our polarized nation, Joe Biden's speech will either bring his approval ratings to the dizzying heights of 43%, or the dark black depths of 38%.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm not even sure what he can even tout as a net positive? I guess Covid since we seem to be out of the woods on that one but...man. This is gonna be bleak I'm afraid. Half expecting another "YOU LIE" moment or some poo poo.

I don't know a lot about Kim Reynolds who's delivering the GOP response.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm interested to hear what he has to say about Putin, and I'm expecting some real fire on the necessity of passing the climate provisions of the bill formerly known as Build Back Better.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hoping for a "one for the history books" level speech here (I really think we need one), but I'm honestly not sure what that would even look like.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I expect no matter what words leave his mouth, we ain't getting anything of true substance in the coming years. A complete and utter waste of everyone's time

I'll still watch because I'm sick in the head

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mellow Seas posted:

In our polarized nation, Joe Biden's speech will either bring his approval ratings to the dizzying heights of 43%, or the dark black depths of 38%.

I'm going to be optimistic and say 41%.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Three recent polls have Biden <40 percent in approvals already: ABC/WaPo (38), Quinnipac (38), and Suffolk (39).

eta from the Quinnipac poll:

Are you concerned a long conflict in Ukraine will hurt you and your family financially, or not?

REGISTERED VOTERS....
Yes: 60
No: 35
DK/NA: 5

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 1, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

When we will get out first post-SOTU polls?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

There will be flash polls & focus groups held immediately after; Luntz usually does a voter panel on CBS, and includes buttons for participants to press as they're watching it (to gauge what is resonating and what isn't).

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calibanibal posted:

There’s usually focus group-type feedback minute by minute, and the networks will perform their own hot-take polls in the aftermath. I don’t think anything is going to be surprising, though, and even if he does the best possible tonight - like, “60% approve of Biden’s SOTU” - the actual effect on his popularity will probably be transient, if it even manifests at all.

So don’t worry too much, but definitely don’t get your hopes up either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I mean, in all seriousness, if you're Joe Biden, what the gently caress are you actually going to SAY that makes anything look good?

It's not like Trump where he can just self aggrandize, lie, bullshit and flat out make stuff up about how a wall is being built as we speak, Mexico is sending checks for it that he's personally cashing or even anything true like a strong stock market or low gas prices while the base automatically eats it up. I guess Biden could harp on the low unemployment rate, Covid seeming to be eradicated and in our rear window and maybe lay into metrics that say "the economy is GREAT" even though anyone who works for a living at ALL knows that's not true and people are getting absolutely crushed right now.

There's nothing, ZERO, that he can hang his hat on as anything moving in a positive direction, no way to spin things, and he lacks the charm, charisma and narrative skills to pull it off if he attempts the Hope and Change bullshit that Obama was so good at. The first black woman SCOTUS nominee is all well and good and long overdue but it's not gonna get anyone really fired up when most of the country is being crushed at the cash register, still doesn't have real access to healthcare, and any gains they've seen in their paychecks are being swallowed up at the grocery store, rent, or car payments.

Republicans and their RWM lackeys must be absolutely licking their chops right now in anticipation.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, in all seriousness, if you're Joe Biden, what the gently caress are you actually going to SAY that makes anything look good?

Well poo poo, jobs numbers COULD be bad, but they’re not. Markets could be crashing, but they’re not. The fact that the economy right now causes Americans as much anxiety as it did in March of 2009 is borderline inexplicable, not because the economy now is great but holy poo poo does anybody actually remember 2009? But, yeah, I don’t really see what Biden could do in this speech to address that. It’s not like he can compare and contrast some friggin’ tables or graphs, or that it would even work if he did.

As things currently stand, no President will ever be popular again, except for maybe a brief honeymoon, because American politics are now in a phase where literally anything the president does will make 45-55% of the population furious, and if the action itself doesn’t do it on its own the opposition party and their media allies will make sure of it. Obama is the picture in the dictionary next to “charisma” and he only managed to get up to the low 50s on occasion, when he did things like kill the greatest villain in American history since Hitler.

This is probably pretty unsustainable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

This is probably pretty unsustainable.

This has been pretty clear to me for a good while now, yes. I remember 2009 quite well

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm betting that Biden's speech will be a 'rally around the flag' kind of speech, showing how he's all about western democracy while SOME people (read: Trump) think Russia's invasion of Ukraine is cool and good. Other than that, I don't know what he'll talk about that he didn't do last year.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Four NYT columnists answer your question through their own prisms.

Brooks: I'm the war president!

Collins: I'm the boring president who isn't a dang cheeto!

Douhat: I'm the inspirational president!

Stephens: I'm the bipartisan president!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

Brooks: I'm the war president!

Collins: I'm the boring president who isn't a dang cheeto!

Douhat: I'm the inspirational president!

Stephens: I'm the bipartisan president!

I saw that piece on the op ed page this morning, and it was considerate of them to have it written by their four worst columnists*, so that I wouldn't even be tempted to read it. Thanks for taking that bullet and summarizing it.

* okay, okay, Collins** is better than Dowd.

** Actually Douthat and Brooks probably are too.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

The President posted:

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

Not expecting much from Biden, but lets see...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

adhuin posted:

Not expecting much from Biden, but lets see...

Yeah, unfortunately I think this is just going to make me sad.

More sad I mean

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone got a link for this shitshow?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mellow Seas posted:

The fact that the economy right now causes Americans as much anxiety as it did in March of 2009 is borderline inexplicable

Is it. It seems quite easy to me; the big indicators people point to to say "actually the economy is good" don't mean anything to the vast majority of people but what's happening to our budgets lately sure does

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone got a link for this shitshow?

cspan:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?517463-1/state-union&live

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

fast cars loose anus posted:

Is it. It seems quite easy to me; the big indicators people point to to say "actually the economy is good" don't mean anything to the vast majority of people but what's happening to our budgets lately sure does

inflation is more tangible than other economic factors to ordinary consumerist ppls

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

black lives matter, including on the supreme court.t hat's why i

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Feels weird that this is his first official SOTU. Just feels like he's been there for awhile.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
As a teacher I’ll show parts of this to my civics class tomorrow. I’ll have at least one student be surprised that he can actually speak in complete sentences.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Link to the address (consider adding one to the OP):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVIXLQrC9rE

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't wait to hear my grandpa tell me my home isn't dead

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
America is back, Jack!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Feels weird that this is his first official SOTU. Just feels like he's been there for awhile.

drat thats why it feels so strange

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
That room looks huge on TV but if you've ever seen it in real life, it's so drat tiny.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nash posted:

America is back, Jack!

Thank you grandpa

IntangiblePanda
Nov 3, 2009
Biden is looking more and more like Clint Eastwood. It's the squinty eyes.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

IntangiblePanda posted:

Biden is looking more and more like Clint Eastwood. It's the squinty eyes.

In the sense that they are both ancient old men yes.

And a pair of wannabe tough guys who talk a big game but haven't really ever done anything in their life to put themselves in physical danger.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

this is sad and surreal

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's like a wrestling show

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
boooooooooooo

*clap clap clap*

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's the same performative bullshit that it's always been; it's just that the rhetoric & standing ovation ring super-hollow these days.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Infrastructure week is forever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

drilldo squirt posted:

Infrastructure weak is forever.

:wink:

Adbot