Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Fister Roboto posted:

The Dems won the presidency and the Senate by the slimmest of margins, due in large part to a lot of people who were motivated by the Floyd protests. Do you really think the Dems are going to pick up enough chud votes through this bootlicking to make up for spitting in the faces of the largest protest movement in American history?

Keep in mind that the corporate media machine is already screaming that he's obviously lying, and will continue to scream that for the next 8 months.

You don't win elections by getting the other guys to switch sides. You win by motivating your base.

This isn’t about winning “chud” votes. Unless you think most people in the US, including a sizable portion of the Democratic voters, are “chuds”. Which, if so, I guess I don’t have a response and you can stop reading this.

But as I stated, most people are against the defund the police movement. Look at any poll. In the most recent poll I can find, 75% of respondents blamed “defunding the police” for the rise on violent crime, at least to some degree: https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000017e-dcb9-da25-ad7f-fdfd3f6f0000

Also, anyone who is on the defund the police side already hates Biden and would [rightfully] assume he’s lying if he tried to pretend like he didn’t want to further fund law enforcement. So it’s not like trying to cater to that side would result in a better midterm turnout for the Democratic Party anyways :shrug:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Biden hasn't defunded the police though! At all! They're catering to people who do not live in reality. Why do you think this is going to change their minds at all?

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 2, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Kalit posted:

Also, anyone who is on the defund the police side already hates Biden and would [rightfully] assume he’s lying if he tried to pretend like he didn’t want to further fund law enforcement. So it’s not like trying to cater to that side would result in a better midterm turnout for the Democratic Party anyways :shrug:

Same reason that there's a big difference between avoiding someone at a party and walking up to them and spitting in their face.

Trying to make this a talking point of the SotU is maybe going to actually calm a tiny number of anxious voters in the middle (most will either not hear it or not believe it) while deeply pissing off a young, core demographic that you probably want to use for volunteering, outreach, organic social media and building the party's future. But nah, gently caress 'em. Sure that that will go well.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

This isn’t about winning “chud” votes. Unless you think most people in the US, including a sizable portion of the Democratic voters, are “chuds”. Which, if so, I guess I don’t have a response and you can stop reading this.

But as I stated, most people are against the defund the police movement. Look at any poll. In the most recent poll I can find, 75% of respondents blamed “defunding the police” for the rise on violent crime, at least to some degree: https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000017e-dcb9-da25-ad7f-fdfd3f6f0000

No one has actually defunded the police so perhaps a better response would be too push against the lie.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm sure if pressed about reality of increased funding, Republicans will insist that the merest existence of the defund movement caused crime to spiral out of control through the vibes alone.

Democrats aren't just craven, they really want to keep the police funded. They've moved on from police violence and are worried about the retail theft and the homeless. Republicans remember every slight forever, but Democrats have largely memory-holed the sadistic violence inflicted on them in 2020, even/especially in the cities where it was the worst.

We should still keep fighting for it, because it's the only way to get the police to stop loving killing people.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 2, 2022

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

No one has actually defunded the police so perhaps a better response would be too push against the lie.

or make the lie a reality

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The dems could double the funding for police and the people that think they previously defunded the police would still think it's true because all republicans would just have to say that the dems defunded the police and they'd believe it.

As an aside, it was a minor part of the speech but I really did not like how Biden implied that working from home has been a bad thing. Obviously there are so many jobs where going to the office straight up doesn't matter and, well, I don't like that rhetoric!

Srice fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

How are u posted:

Well that was honestly alright, nothing terrible and bad, and nothing I didn't expect. Wish he'd been more focused on climate change, but I get it.

Sounds like Tlaib did your bidding, not Biden:

quote:

Tlaib particularly focused on climate change, calling on Biden to ban federal fossil fuel leasing and to direct federal agencies to reject permits for new projects. In contrast, the president barely mentioned climate change ― which was at odds with his domestic agenda of making the biggest climate investment in U.S. history.

Other progressives noted Biden’s meager climate mentions, including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), who told MSNBC, “It definitely was a lost opportunity.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/02/tlaib-state-of-the-union-2022-00013104

Tlaib also called out his throw-more-money-at-popo shtick:

quote:

Tlaib’s comments also contrasted with the president’s on police reform, specifically on defunding the police.

“We can’t police away homelessness, poverty or our mental health crisis in our country,” said Tlaib. “Care, not more criminalization is how we ensure lasting safety for all.”