Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

they just have more fast bitch muscle fibers.

You botched it up top, but you stuck the landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.krqe.com/news/playing-cop-the-lake-arthur-badge-scheme-2/

Well this sure is fun

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
If you like some Nordic Noir and can vpnto Finland the series "Raid" can now be watched free. It should have subtitles in English.

https://areena.yle.fi/1-4190212

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

quote:

When ex-Navy Seal James Dennis “JD” Smith was charged with drug smuggling by the DEA in North Carolina last year, he carried Lake Arthur police credentials. Smith was indicted on the charges and will face a jury trial later this month. Lake Arthur’s Mayor admits Smith was a Reserve Officer and says his Commission was revoked after his arrest.

Even the fake cops are crooked. Impressive.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I love that Dan Bilzerian is a member, he seems totally normal and not unhinged and detached from reality. Definitely the kind of guy that should be able to exercise authority of other people.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

surprised to see Robert Mercer id have thought a billionaire with that much juice could get better cop credentials than podunk nm

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Royce Gracie :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

https://twitter.com/JohnCoviello1/status/1508540236879613960

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The narrator of that video going from "I need to get the poo poo out of my car" to "I need to get the gently caress off this road!" is an example of the value of experiential learning.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

There was a similar scheme for some town in Illinois; a lot of West Coast SEALs apparently bought their badges so they could CCW as cops since CA is super restrictive with that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1509151904638517253

Really hope I'm alive long enough to see Facebook/Meta crash and burn.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Handsome Ralph posted:

Already saw a video called "TikTok is destroying a generation" the other day and LMAO it was all the same old man yells at cloud social media behavior and risks essay, but with an anti-chinese slant.

I don't watch these things, but I do look at the transcripts and the comments make fantastic chum to find lovely bot accounts to mass report.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I want to see social media writ large burn. For what little good it's done, it's done way worse for society.

It's not going to happen because it's too loving useful for "gauging the pulse of the people," as evidenced by human wedgie Ted Cruz checking his feed after his turn to grill Judge Jackson to see if he was TRENDING or not. I shudder to think of what someone like Hoover would've done with all this information.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tiktok is bad but it hasn't facilitated a genocide yet.

There are legitimate concerns about TikTok and data sovereignty but the solution to that is an American GDPR, alas the only people who care really are just in it for the anti-chinese racism or buttmad that they keep getting trolled by K-pop stans.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I want to see social media writ large burn. For what little good it's done, it's done way worse for society.

It's not going to happen because it's too loving useful for "gauging the pulse of the people," as evidenced by human wedgie Ted Cruz checking his feed after his turn to grill Judge Brown to see if he was TRENDING or not. I shudder to think of what someone like Hoover would've done with all this information.

Palantir: we don't need a warrant if we're not a government!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

This video puts the last 15 years in perspective for me in a crazy conspiracy way.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Handsome Ralph posted:

They’re absurdly evil. They allow massive organizing and messaging from anti-vax, lunatic conspiracy nuts, and racists to reach an audience they could never have dreamed of. Their outsourced barely paid content moderators watch abuse and animal torture videos all day and get PTSD while zuck buys another hundred acres of Hawaii for his mega estate.

It’s insidiously addictive for so many people, I was helping an otherwise affable and loving relative with a phone restore that meant their usual means of accessing FB wasn’t available for a few hours and they had noticeable withdrawal and got irritated like I had taken their cigarettes away. They don’t run a business through FB marketplace or have any pressing reason to need access, just couldn’t go without mindless scrolling for a few minutes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I'd be fine with all social media burning to the ground at this point, and I don't think TikTok is without it's own massive issues, but lol at the idea of Facebook being the arbiter of whether it's good or bad.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I shudder to think of what someone like Hoover would've done with all this information.

:lol: For a second I was like "I doubt Herbert Hoover would have given two shits if social media roasted him for cracking down on the Bonus Army encampments" and then I remembered "oh yeah, Edgar. Yeah that would have sucked."

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

This video puts the last 15 years in perspective for me in a crazy conspiracy way.

Is it because that's how long the video is?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Goddamn, every Hoover sucks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wasabi the J posted:

Goddamn, every Hoover sucks.
:dadjoke:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soul Dentist posted:

Is it because that's how long the video is?

I swear to God it's worth it.

2008 crash
Facebook
Palantir
Peter thiel
Cryptocurrency
NFTs
Fascism (neo and classical)
Eugenics
Libertarians
Pedo islands
CIA

Like, they're all part of the same scam being essentially run out of Reddit and Twitter.

It's insane, and this stuff is sourced. No made up bullshit or conjecture. Just poo poo with receipts.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not going to happen because it's too loving useful for "gauging the pulse of the people," as evidenced by human wedgie Ted Cruz checking his feed after his turn to grill Judge Jackson to see if he was TRENDING or not. I shudder to think of what someone like Hoover would've done with all this information.

Social media being burnt to the ground wouldn't solve the problem. Even then, you have to draw a line around what is and isn't social media, like forums or youtube or geocities pages.

If you axed the big ones (meta, tiktok), ted cruz, spawn of the zodiac killer, would just be checking his livejournal equivalent every 5 minutes instead. And killing the big ones without a broader ban opens the door to more people going to shittier services like gab or the staggering corpse of myspace or whatever failure of a thing trumple orangeskin is trying to shirk developers on payment for this week.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They don’t run a business through FB marketplace or have any pressing reason to need access, just couldn’t go without mindless scrolling for a few minutes.

This is always an opportunity to direct $10 to Jeffrey's pockets. Only teach them about the awful app, so they can't post threads.

E: Then send them to cspam. Start them on something light and breezy like the americana thread, or a pet picture thread. Let nature take it from there.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 30, 2022

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Arrath posted:

30' visibility and a half mile stopping distance? Better speed up!

you don't understand, i'm trying to get home quick to stay safe, no one here knows how to drive in the snow

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Social media being burnt to the ground wouldn't solve the problem. Even then, you have to draw a line around what is and isn't social media, like forums or youtube or geocities pages.

If you axed the big ones (meta, tiktok), ted cruz, spawn of the zodiac killer, would just be checking his livejournal equivalent every 5 minutes instead. And killing the big ones without a broader ban opens the door to more people going to shittier services like gab or the staggering corpse of myspace or whatever failure of a thing trumple orangeskin is trying to shirk developers on payment for this week.

This is always an opportunity to direct $10 to Jeffrey's pockets. Only teach them about the awful app, so they can't post threads.

E: Then send them to cspam. Start them on something light and breezy like the americana thread, or a pet picture thread. Let nature take it from there.

Wait does the Android awful app not allow thread creation? I can do it on iPhone.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nope, it does not. Jeff addressed it a while back but nothing has been updated to fix it. Which is fine for me, I don't need to be posting threads.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Why would you send anyone to CSPAM

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Let's say.... science?

Granted, it'd be a social science experiment...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Let's say.... science?

Granted, it'd be a social science experiment...

You monster!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Works posted:

Why would you send anyone to CSPAM

Sadist?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some people just want to watch the world burn.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1509208091199422482

:ohdear: I hope that he's not about to die hard :downsrim:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
He has Apashia. That’s awful. I wonder what caused it or if it’s just bad luck.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bird food bathtub posted:

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Every time you post in one of the politics forums, it trains you to the other one. Lets get some balanced views going!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That is awful, but so are all of his movies from the last decade.

E: what was his last good movie anyhow? I'm inclined to say the 20 year old Whole Nine Yards.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

He has Apashia. That’s awful. I wonder what caused it or if it’s just bad luck.

That makes my joke entirely unfunny. Poor guy.

I've read some scuttlebutt saying he cranked out a few crappy movies to set up a little nest egg for his kids and then retire, which is pretty laudable. I hope he gets to enjoy his retirement.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Now who will they get for GI Jane 2

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

This explains the cashing out on his name while he could the last 2 years

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stravag posted:

This explains the cashing out on his name while he could the last 2 years

Yeah wasn’t one called Galactic Sin or something supremely dumb?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That makes my joke entirely unfunny. Poor guy.

I've read some scuttlebutt saying he cranked out a few crappy movies to set up a little nest egg for his kids and then retire, which is pretty laudable. I hope he gets to enjoy his retirement.

It was more than a few. The razzies had an entire category for him this year.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/02/razzie-nominations-worst-bruce-willis-performance.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
He did like 22 movies in the last 4 years.

Nice of him to create a big nest egg for his kids.

I'll make fun of the man a lot less now that I know this. Those movies are all atrocious, but I can understand why he did them now. Before, it was just inexplicable besides the take of him only doing it as a cash grab and being lazy as gently caress.