Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60572525

Relegation is a word that gets thrown around this time of year and there are some tasty possibilities at the bottom of the table. Hopefully Norwich will recover enough to be the league punching bag again next year and make way for Burnley, Everton and Newcastle for maximum hilarity in my book.

City have got the refs well and truly bought it seems so only a massive bottle job or pep brained gently caress up will see Liverpool win their 20th league title. The :siren: TITLE DECIDER :siren: won't be played until the 10th of April, but United will have their say in the title race when they play City this Sunday and Liverpool on the 20th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Good post from last month's thread, we can all hope Chelsea gets wound up and fucks off forever too

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Good thread op. Lol that fat frank stamped his feet long enough that the refs had to say sorry for making a bad decision that happens to every team but should never be allowed to happen to him

Also wasn't sure what to make of the new Leeds boss since

1) he's american and you know what they're like
2) he's managed all three fizzy drink teams
3) we already did 'won loads of trophies in Austria' with darko milanic

Then I saw this clip of him scything down Beckham in MLS and starting a big fight so he's cool now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8yT52KcIIM

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Everton in the relegation zone is making me do big belly chuckles

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lampard is going to get everton relegated and he’ll probably have another job by the time 2022 is done

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I know Everton have games in hand but seeing them in 18th place is still somehow shocking

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Also wasn't sure what to make of the new Leeds boss since

1) he's american and you know what they're like

I hope you like Ted Lasso references and lots of embarassing pre-game segments if you're unlucky enough to have to watch an American stream.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

CyberPingu posted:

Everton in the relegation zone is making me do big belly chuckles

I jinxed Burnley and Everton are no longer in the relegation zone. Sorry.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

If Eeverton actually get relegated, how hosed are they, on a scale of West Brom to Leeds United?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Portsmouth

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

vyelkin posted:

I know Everton have games in hand but seeing them in 18th place is still somehow shocking

That’s not how you spell “cool and good”.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Everton Newcastle Leeds is by far the best relegation trio.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

That's not how you spell "Arsenal Spurs Chelsea"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If Eeverton actually get relegated, how hosed are they, on a scale of West Brom to Leeds United?

Sunderland?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Actually Newcastle are good now

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

That's not how you spell "Arsenal Spurs Chelsea"

the best relegation trio will always be liverpool, united, and city/chelsea

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Blinkz0rz posted:

the best relegation trio will always be liverpool, united, and city/chelsea

Hmm now that you say that I DO think Spurs 3 times in successive seasons would do it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Well the guy who secretly owns them just got hit with massive sanctions

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

greazeball posted:

Good post from last month's thread, we can all hope Chelsea gets wound up and fucks off forever too

Swiss billionaire Hansjörg Wyss says he has been offered chance to buy Chelsea

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

does ken bates still have money

and by "money" I mean one actual pound, possibly from taking back trolleys at sainsburys

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
maybe JT will buy the club with his ape jpeg profits

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hopefully the money gets seized.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

They are using Blick as a source which is Sun levels of shite. It might accidentally be true sometimes I guess.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Abramovich has apparently confirmed that he's put Chelsea up for sale and is claiming, among other things, that he's written off the 1.5b in loans he's given the club over the years and that he's going to donate the proceeds to victims of the war in Ukraine, which, uh, okay.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/02/chelsea-swiss-billionaire-hansjorg-wyss-says-offered-chance-buy-club-roman-abramovich

quote:

“I have always taken decisions with the club’s best interest at heart,” Abramovich said. “In the current situation, I have therefore taken the decision to sell the club, as I believe this is in the best interest of the club, the fans, the employees, as well as the club’s sponsors and partners.

“The sale of the club will not be fast-tracked but will follow due process. I will not be asking for any loans to be repaid. This has never been about business nor money for me, but about pure passion for the game and club. Moreover, I have instructed my team to set up a charitable foundation where all net proceeds from the sale will be donated. The foundation will be for the benefit of all victims of the war in Ukraine. This includes providing critical funds towards the urgent and immediate needs of victims, as well as supporting the long-term work of recovery.”

Abramovich said the sale was an “incredibly difficult decision” and that “it pains me to part with the club in this manner”. He said he hoped to make a final visit to Stamford Bridge to say goodbye.

Can't say I saw this one coming.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/1499085708820160514

Abramovich is planning to sell Chelsea and donate the profits to Ukrainian humanitarian relief. And he won’t ask for repayment of his loans.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
"spending my billions of dollars of stolen money has never been about money"

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Is Abramovich allegedly donating the profits from the sale of Chelsea to Ukraine war charities some kind of sign that Roman disproves of the war? Would it be a slap at Putin? Is it purely shrewd PR work?

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
cynicism aside, one of putins best pals coming out and saying hes going to donate billions to ukraine is pretty unexpected tbh. how about you donate some of that to an assassin, abramovich

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Is Abramovich allegedly donating the profits from the sale of Chelsea to Ukraine war charities some kind of sign that Roman disproves of the war? Would it be a slap at Putin? Is it purely shrewd PR work?
He calls it a war too, instead of the Russian euphemism of special operations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

EC10 posted:

. how about you donate some of that to an assassin, abramovich

Wtf is wrong with you seriously.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m not even gonna be a goony cynic. That’s legit cool and a class move

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Roman was visited by three ghosts of Kyiv in the night and changed his miserly ways, god bless us everyone

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

CyberPingu posted:

Wtf is wrong with you seriously.

the implication was for putin. lol, just gently caress off and put me on ignore already if you cant even read "putin being dead would be good" without having a response like this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

Hard to say, to be honest. Apparently he's trying to liquidate basically all his assets in Britain at the moment, selling all his houses, selling Chelsea, almost certainly because he's worried he's going to get caught up in sanctions and have his assets either frozen or seized. It wouldn't surprise me if he legitimately does disapprove of the war (though whether that's because he dislikes the war itself or because it affects his personal prospects, who can say) but it's very hard to tell from public statements that could equally be designed to signal public disapproval to try and stay off immediate sanctions lists.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

EC10 posted:

the implication was for putin. lol, just gently caress off and put me on ignore already if you cant even read "putin being dead would be good" without having a response like this

Take that poo poo to CSPAM.

Also ignoring people is for cowards.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I've seen a few oligarchs make statements similar to this, and I think it's interesting to note the neutral terms he uses throughout. He doesn't say he's donating money to Ukraine, or Ukrainians, just victims of the war. Who could just as easily be Russians, Belarusians, whatever.

I dunno, I think you'd be mad to take a statement like this from some evil thieving oval office at face value.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

CyberPingu posted:

Take that poo poo to CSPAM.

Also ignoring people is for cowards.

take yourself to the toilet, put your head in there and flush if you have a problem with what i said

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

EC10 posted:

take yourself to the toilet, put your head in there and flush if you have a problem with what i said

Oooh you're hard aren't you mate.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You guys realize that the "charities" will practically amount to tucking the money right into Putin's pocket right

ANYWAY can't wait to see what oil tycoon will own Chelsea next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

I dunno, I think you'd be mad to take a statement like this from some evil thieving oval office at face value.

Yeah it's this. If he's serious, he'll do whatever he's going to do and leave a paper trail. At the moment he hasn't done poo poo except make a ridiculous promise.