Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/footygazzetta/status/1505664519258923011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

oh no

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Everyone update your 'whose fault it is that Everton are getting relegated' reference sheets to add the players, the previous managers, the owners, the broadcasters, the premier league and the refs. Also don't put down that the other teams are good because they're not

quote:

There is only so much you can keep trying to butter someone up to get confidence,” the manager said. “You’re playing at the cut-throat end of football; this is the FA Cup quarter-finals. If you haven’t got the confidence to play, you can flip it and say: ‘Have you got the bollocks to play?’ Apologies but that’s the football term.

We didn’t play that badly today, Palace didn’t play that well. It was a lack of confidence, and a lack of what I just said. It wasn’t tactics. Palace couldn’t get out of their half in the first 20 minutes.

It’s a challenge because it’s been there quite a long time before I got here. I don’t have a magic wand to get inside people’s heads and change the resilience across a whole squad.

Two things hindered us. One was the scheduling. The reality is we could have played at three or four o’clock but the broadcasters want to show other games. There’s Allan’s suspension, which didn’t help us.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Everton with any other manager - Well that would be a shame if they went down

Everton with Frank Lampard as manager - Getting relegated would be the funniest thing that could possibly happen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
everton got very lucky that they played newcastle during our 3rd away match in 8 days while missing

https://twitter.com/jj_bull/status/1505833554395213829?t=d4wQrlbt2ChWgNlkBY2jEA&s=19

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
having a hard time coming up with a team that did worse vice preseason predictions than everton this season. maybe portsmouth right before the wheels fell off that whole thing?

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

the sex ghost posted:

Everyone update your 'whose fault it is that Everton are getting relegated' reference sheets to add the players, the previous managers, the owners, the broadcasters, the premier league and the refs. Also don't put down that the other teams are good because they're not

oh he really actually is incredible thick lol

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

bewbies posted:

having a hard time coming up with a team that did worse vice preseason predictions than everton this season. maybe portsmouth right before the wheels fell off that whole thing?

Maybe Chelsea in the 15/16 season, but I'm mostly remembering their pre-Christmas form where they were hovering around relegation.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Liverpool when Hodgson took over. Was touted as a shrewd good manager and just absolutely cratered.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Slotducks posted:

Liverpool when Hodgson took over. Was touted as a shrewd good manager and just absolutely cratered.

Did anyone really expect Liverpool to get anywhere above the UEFA Cup spots that season? I know Mascherano didn't put in a transfer until pretty late in the window, but a reasonable person could tell by the incoming and outgoing transfers that summer that everything was going to get worse.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Eric Cantonese posted:

Did anyone really expect Liverpool to get anywhere above the UEFA Cup spots that season? I know Mascherano didn't put in a transfer until pretty late in the window, but a reasonable person could tell by the incoming and outgoing transfers that summer that everything was going to get worse.

He absolutely had a bad hand, but he did play it very poorly.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah. That was a bad time.

I do wonder how many people genuinely thought it would work out, though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Hodgson was the wrong manager at the wrong time for many reasons - some of which weren’t necessarily his fault but often he didn’t help himself and he received blame for and negative reception by the fans. Off the top of my head:
  • H&G had a public falling out with well loved manager Rafa which led to his acrimonious departure
  • H&G very clearly wanted a manager who could operate on a tight/shoestring budget
    then club legend Dalglish put his name forward to be the manager, which was dismissed since H&G wanted “their” guy in
  • Woy had come from a Fulham side that played a functional but completely uninspiring 4-4-2 that had exceeded expectations having gotten to the Europa League final but wasn’t exactly the type of expansive or “big name” type manager expected
  • League results were lousy, got knocked out very early in a cup competition and the play was aggressively bland if not bad
  • his signings were a combo of free transfers that never panned out (Joe Coke), random castoffs (Milan Jovavic of “best diving header” infamy) and absolute poo poo like Christian Poulsen and Paul Konchesky who were never good enough and only reinforced that Woy was out of his depth for a club with their ambitions
  • he made lots of small-time club comments of the sort that Moyes would also trip over himself at Pooshited a couple of years later

In short, it was a bad fit for everyone involved but at least they realized it, I’m glad we got him having a nice walkabout from it:

https://youtu.be/UHYO3qdFnhg

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Hodgson had the most poisoned of chalices at Liverpool. Morale was at an all time low. The team was on the decline, and he was expected to improve results with exactly no money. He gets blamed for his lovely transfers, but he was just really fishing for a golden turd in a toilet of poo poo.

Also him having to sign a load of poo poo and then having Liverpool turn around and sign Luis fwiggin’ Suarez once he was sacked was the ultimate insult.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Think I'd still give Most Poisoned Chalice to Davey Moyes at United.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

blue footed boobie posted:

Hodgson had the most poisoned of chalices at Liverpool.
He did, but this was partly his own fault:

blue footed boobie posted:

Morale was at an all time low.
He was bad. Real bad. And some of the stuff he said was bonkers and only proved to Liverpool fans that he definitely wasn't the right manager. I will admit though that everyone that came in after Rafa would be seen as H&G's guy and thus would be on the backfoot from day one. However, even though Hodgson did a bad job there's not doubt that the owners ultimately were to blame.

That people like Hicks and Gillett (the Glazers, Abramovich, oil twats, that list is pretty long these days) can buy established clubs and do whatever they want to them is insane and I can't understand why not more has been done to prevent it.

That season is the only one where Liverpool played games without me even knowing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7mr9F7kHMM&t=5s

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Vinestalk posted:

Think I'd still give Most Poisoned Chalice to Davey Moyes at United.

I mean, it was and it wasn't. He was initially backed by the club and the fans to the extent that people made fun of it - giving him a five-year contract, and "THE CHOSEN ONE" banner, and all that jazz. Like, when the MOYES OUT plane showed up at Old Trafford it got booed (probably more from a gently caress-right-off-with-that than a pro-Moyes angle), and I'm convinced it got him another month in the job. Had he not absolutely lost the dressing room, I'm convinced they would have stuck it out with him for at least another season.

The problem was that everything at United was set up around the principle of What Would Carlos Queiroz Do, If He Was Here Right Now, and no, this title-winning team doesn't want to change anything it's doing right now just because it worked at Everton. But nor did he help himself at any point, oscillating between staring through time and desperately asking Phil Neville what to do like he's Sam Beckett and can't make his next jump until he figures out how to get a point at home to Wolves.

Hodgson was dour pick for a dour team which was actively in the process of being repossessed, I suspect he could have finished fourth on a budget of "maybe ask Robbie Fowler if he wants another go" and still been called a stupid old prick with a stupid old prick face that smells of Paul Konchesky's balls

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

otoh this may just have been my scouse mate, but I remember one of the main alternatives to Hodgson being Harry Redknapp, and I would pay good money to visit that timeline and remember funny things there

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Dunno, part of me still buys into the idea that Ferguson's a selfish prick who purposefully picked the thickest person as successor to further the narrative that he could cobble a bunch of cloggers together to win the premier league. Which, winning with this guy is no small feat:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I still maintain Ferguson didn't want Mourinho coming in right after him so he picked someone that was very much less likely to succeed.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I still maintain you're both loving idiots for believing that without a hint of irony.

Moyes could have at least been better if not the new king of Old Trafford if he hadn't completely ignored all of Ferguson's advice to keep the backroom staff around to help him make the transition and the considerable step up. However Moyes thought Steve Round knew better than those multiple title winning idiots and took the team out for a stroll along Bondi Beach without any security instead.

Besides, Mourinho had already agreed to return to Chelsea by the time SAF made his announcement.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

I still maintain Ferguson didn't want Mourinho coming in right after him so he picked someone that was very much less likely to succeed.

lol

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I still maintain you're both loving idiots for believing that without a hint of irony.

Moyes could have at least been better if not the new king of Old Trafford if he hadn't completely ignored all of Ferguson's advice to keep the backroom staff around to help him make the transition and the considerable step up. However Moyes thought Steve Round knew better than those multiple title winning idiots and took the team out for a stroll along Bondi Beach without any security instead.

You would know more than I would about the behind the scenes shenanigans, Ninpo/Nanpo/Nonpoo, and your story sounds way likelier to me than anything anyone else has told. That being said, did Ferguson not ask Moyes about that in advance? Like, "hey, are you going to want a clean slate or are you okay taking the reins and slowly transitioning?"

That being said, Moyes probably would have said anything to get the job because he was finally getting a shot at the big time.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Moyes kicked out everyone who had been core of Fergusons team - and believe me they were loving core - and then completely shat himself.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
To conclude, Pooshited.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I don't think any manager on earth could have taken over from Ferguson at Man U and succeeded - the team was so completely moulded around him that even Jesus would have lost the dressing room the moment results went the wrong way. "Yeah sure you bought Matt Busby back from the dead, but the gaffer would never have asked me to cover the front post at corners".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Managers who can’t handle big-club expectations are the norm, not the exception. A lot of things have to go right for you to not be a total flop of a manager. Obsessing over one or two faux pas misses the forest for the trees.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Besides, Mourinho had already agreed to return to Chelsea by the time SAF made his announcement.

Lol come on Ninpo.

Of all the people to pick, "you don't have to win to be a winner, but he is a winner," Moyes was an awful pick and Ferguson could have literally chosen anyone except Wenger or whoever was at Madrid/Barcelona/City.

Ferguson didn't do anything to foster any of his former players to be succeed him as manager. He didn't promote anyone from within his own coaching staff. He picked David Moyes who had a couple purple patches but was not considered a brilliant tactician or amazing man manager by anyone.

I don't think it was purposeful or that he setup Moyes to fail. But I think the most competitive manager in the history of the modern game subconsciously wants to maintain a legacy of being the greatest ever and not someone who made a squad that anyone could win with.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Also blaming it on removal of coaching staff is unfair to Moyes, in all honesty.

Ferguson built a cult of personality and wanted Moyes to keep his entire back room staff? How is there any expectation that anyone from that staff would respect Moyes or his decisions? How would any of those people be able to give honest advice and not think "why don't I have this guy's job?" How does Moyes get a new job and not remain loyal to the coaches who helped get him there?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Moyes did the right thing even though it didn’t work.

Having said that, I think Ferguson should continue to have a big influence for long into the future. It’s a great idea and “the United way” (tm).

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Vinestalk posted:

Of all the people to pick, "you don't have to win to be a winner, but he is a winner," Moyes was an awful pick and Ferguson could have literally chosen anyone except Wenger or whoever was at Madrid/Barcelona/City.

I mean, Moyes was consistently well-regarded as having over-achieved at Everton, and there were regular questions about when he'd get offered a big job. Whether or not he was cut out for a genuinely top job is a different question, but there's a lot of revisionist history that actually he was just a scottish Phil Brown who Alex Ferguson hired while shitfaced

this all while they're simultaneously talking up what he's doing at West Ham

I'm pretty sure the original strategy, for better or worse, was going to be to try and bring in a manager who was going to be there for ten years and be a pillar of the club in the same way that Ferguson had been, and they knew full well that Mourinho would just turn around and say "I can't use this left-back, he is too round" and then leave in a huff after two years of dismantling the youth team and alienating key players (which is exactly what he did when he finally got the chance)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah and Fergie knew that he would do that. They probably had many chats about how the transition would go.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 23, 2022

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
saf won all his trophies before the invention of the computer so the most complicated his job ever got was saying things like "come on" or yelling at an official. moyes unfortunately had to deal with the modern world so it actually you know what i'm just typing bullshit to annoy someone and i can't figure out how to end this post. goodnight.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

tbp posted:

saf won all his trophies before the invention of the computer so the most complicated his job ever got was saying things like "come on" or yelling at an official. moyes unfortunately had to deal with the modern world so it actually you know what i'm just typing bullshit to annoy someone and i can't figure out how to end this post. goodnight.

I think what you mean is that Moyes needed more time

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Moyes removed Erik Steele (GK coach currently working with FA junior levels), Mike Phelan (back at Man U after going to Hull and Norwich), and Rene Meulensteen (assistant for Australia)

He added Ryan Giggs (lol), Phil Neville (HC at Inter Miami), Steve Round (currently at Arsenal), Chris Woods (GK coach with Scotland) and Jimmy Lumsden (retired)

I don't see any real issues other than Giggs

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

tbp posted:

This post reminded me of the existence of this photo

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tbp posted:

You had me in the first half, not gonna lie.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

pik_d posted:

I think what you mean is that Moyes needed more time

More and more people are saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

Ferguson did at least appreciate that he knew gently caress-all about modern tactics and training, and left that to his coaching staff (which is of course why Keane did his big flounce, he couldn't handle taking orders from Carlos Queiroz instead of the Big Man). The one lesson Moyes seemed to take away from his failures at Man U and Real Sociedad is that just knowing when to give the hairdryer treatment wasn't enough in the modern game and he went off on his weird vision quest to RB Leipzig and a few other technocratic European teams (although he still fell flat on his arse when he went to Sunderland). Now he still mostly leaves the ipad-wielding to the coaching staff but does at least understand what they're talking about.

e: Of course what we're all waiting for him to do is realise that strikers actually exist and you don't have to just keep converting pacy right wingers into centre forwards, and then he will be The Complete Manager