Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
War going on? My owner is not to blame at all, in fact, he won trophies and I cried in joy like a baby.

He's actually a hero if you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Watching motd and those first two villa goals were v nice. Keeping my eye on this coutinho kid, feel like he's got something about him

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

the sex ghost posted:

Watching motd and those first two villa goals were v nice. Keeping my eye on this coutinho kid, feel like he's got something about him

It's unfortunate he'll probably end up being bought for some ludicrous amount by Barca or someone in a few years

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-05/chicago-cubs-owners-weigh-offer-for-abramovich-s-chelsea-fc

Heartiest of LOLs if they were to somehow pull it off.

If you're not familiar with Major League Baseball: the Ricketts family bought the Cubs and went from overseeing their first MLB championship in 109 years (2016) and being absolutely beloved to making so many asinine cost-saving and other moves that within five years they were utterly reviled by the team's own fanbase.

Forbes estimates the Cubs' value at something like $3.4 billion, and the Ricketts clan basically sees them more like an investment vehicle than a sports team. The richest family member is worth $2.5 billion by himself and claimed a couple of years ago that spending roughly 40% of the team's yearly income on player salaries meant the organization was in the red and spending was unsustainable.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If they think 40% is a lot they're gonna love the Premier League.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Jurgen klopp reveal yourself

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1500811983221841925?t=qsDKBkOgZBHxx7o5cVC9Qg&s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

What a dumbass

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Ahh the return of the most dangerous scoreline

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dudley posted:

If they think 40% is a lot they're gonna love the Premier League.
Yeah. I forgot Tom Ricketts' actual quote about the team's player spending at the time - that roughly 40% of income: "Biblical losses".

Absolutely everyone knew it was a load of horseshit because every credible estimate has the organization bringing in roughly $500 million a year and the most they've spent on MLB players in a season in the last five is ~$195 and of course there's no transfer fees in baseball, so even just doing basic math made his claims completely laughable. Yet, he continues on this path with a straight face as if everyone but him is the moron.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
RIP Chelsea. You had an oligarch who cared about the club as an owner, and then the Americans came in.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I assume he must have been taking the piss

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Crazy Ted posted:

so even just doing basic math made his claims completely laughable. Yet, he continues on this path with a straight face as if everyone but him is the moron.

I mean, what else would you expect from a dude who looks almost exactly like Ted Cruz?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://twitter.com/oilysailor/status/1500946815880945666?s=11

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so this is admittedly the daily mail and nowhere else seems to be running the "exclusive" based off PL rules but still, lol

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1501331964397342720?s=20&t=qBAttuqG7V4LTIjzdBk6NA

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jose posted:

so this is admittedly the daily mail and nowhere else seems to be running the "exclusive" based off PL rules but still, lol

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1501331964397342720?s=20&t=qBAttuqG7V4LTIjzdBk6NA
fat frank gonna get another prem job using this as his excuse

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

I like how they delayed publishing their finances so they could figure out how much they need to cook the books.

Also this feels like something that should be sort out in the off season.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

blue footed boobie posted:

I like how they delayed publishing their finances so they could figure out how much they need to cook the books.

Also this feels like something that should be sort out in the off season.

That's an interesting point - if you break (FA) EPL rules and then get relegated before the punishment is applied, does the punishment apply to your next (Football League) Championship season or does it just wait for you to get promoted again?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's an interesting point - if you break (FA) EPL rules and then get relegated before the punishment is applied, does the punishment apply to your next (Football League) Championship season or does it just wait for you to get promoted again?

Leeds tried going officially bust after relegation from the championship was confirmed so that the points deduction didn't matter. For being cheeky they got a double points deduction for the following season in league one. Would like to see Everton start their 7000 game season on minus 30 points

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

For being cheeky they got a double points deduction for the following season in league one.

lmao, nice

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

Leeds tried going officially bust after relegation from the championship was confirmed so that the points deduction didn't matter. For being cheeky they got a double points deduction for the following season in league one. Would like to see Everton start their 7000 game season on minus 30 points

Right, but that's relegation between two Football League competitions, the Premiership is run by the FA - I was wondering if punishments set by one body would be enforced by the other, leading to Producers-style shenanigans of deliberately trying to get relegated/avoid being promoted.

Also for Leeds' plan to work wouldn't they have to go Rangers-style bankrupt and actually get thrown entirely out of the competition?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
lol abramovich apparently wants 4 billion in actual money for chelsea

check the ruble, bitch

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Lol

https://theathletic.com/news/john-terrys-nft-collection-plunges-90-in-value/O0qBVJcqpDit/

quote:

John Terry’s NFT collection plunges 90% in value

John Terry’s collection of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) have plummeted in value by 90 per cent over the past month, with England internationals Tammy Abraham and Ashley Cole quietly deleting their endorsements of the controversial scheme, The Athletic can reveal.

This comes as the Premier League is considering its own official NFT partnership deal potentially worth hundreds of millions of dollars, despite the sector being completely unregulated, and the subject of fierce criticism.

Terry’s ‘Ape Kids Football Club’ NFTs were publicly trading for an average price of $656 after launch on February 2, but by March 8 the average price had dropped to $65.

This means football fans who bought NFTs because their heroes endorsed them on social media stand to lose huge amounts of cash.

Non-fungible tokens are a form of digital asset based on blockchain technology that underpins cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.

To their advocates, they are the modern iteration of trading merchandise like stickers or clothing, but to detractors, they are enriching the already wealthy to the detriment of sports fans exposed to unregulated financial speculation.

There has been a general dip in the cryptocurrency and NFT markets in recent weeks, which may explain part of the dip, though not nearly as big as 90 per cent.

After Terry announced Ape Kids Football Club in January, the Premier League staged a legal intervention over NFTs which used an image of the trophy, protected by intellectual property laws. Premier League, UEFA and FA trophies were removed from the Ape Football Kids Club NFTs, as well as the badge of Chelsea, the club which Terry now works for, for similar reasons.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
All my apes gone

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

8/10 article, should have said 'slipped'

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thank you John Terry for my favourite headline in years

I love that someone saw the MS paint quality announcement tweet and thought "I will spend $700USD on a really bad 3d model of a monkey because John Terry said so."

https://twitter.com/JohnTerry26/status/1483818071664046080?t=o-lT_rQGjGvbum7vQzLuPQ&s=19

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 9, 2022

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Now all I need is Conte to complain about John Terry’s NFTs to really bring this season together.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
You can't win anything with ape kids

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
That's a shame.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

the sex ghost posted:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

the sex ghost posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1501847871364161539?t=JcooD-5vvrd4hMili01Ldw&s=19
https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1501850383311945731?t=Z-cAl81KQCYrw6WHUmA1GQ&s=19

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

This too
https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1501852399417401347

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Presumably this means *all* income streams, including TV rights and prize money if/when they progress in the cups/CL, sponsorship deals if they're paid in tranches, and even the club shop, are also turned off?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Now that's loving funny.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Inject it into my veins.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:sickos:

Adbot