Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
did this thread seriously need a poll?
Yes
No
heck yes
heck no
mega fruity fresh and fruity yes
too blessed to be stressed no
don't worry, he'll tire himself out eventually
View Results

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
for some reason i had the misconception that it was a sequel to Secret of Evermore and just never bothered to play it

is it pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't play video games

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m Gaia

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I liked it when I played it 29 years ago OP

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

precision posted:

for some reason i had the misconception that it was a sequel to Secret of Evermore and just never bothered to play it

is it pretty good?

It's pretty solid! Really fun original set pieces to run around especially for a game from the 90s!

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Yeah right op im not falling for this one again

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Love to beat the poo poo out of things with a flute in my favourite sequel to Soul Blazer

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's a sequel to soul blazer??? o word. i loved soul blzer

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
A boy becomes a man becomes a shadow o_o

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It's ok

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

STABASS posted:

I don't play video games

Why's your avatar a boss from dark souls then?

TheScuta 6.66
May 10, 2005
Don't rip me off.
The game is too obsessed with collecting statues but it's a solid RPG with clean real time combat. A fine title. Have you played Lufia 2??

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It's literally one of my favorite games of all time. Like top 3.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I chose the flute as my instrument in 4th grade band because of this game but then my uncle made fun of me and I switched to trombone.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Do not try to fight the vampires with Will.

And getting all the gems is not worth it: getting the second to last reward is enough.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Illusion of Gaia was great but I thought Terranigma (next/last game in the series) was even better.

Pyadra
Jun 26, 2003

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Illusion of Gaia was great but I thought Terranigma (next/last game in the series) was even better.

I need to revisit Terranigma. It didn't release in North America originally and I didn't give it a fair shake when I finally got a chance to play it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I got this confused with Secret of Mana, which I haven't really played much of either.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It's really good OP. Also check out Soul Blazer and Terranigma. They aren't at all related to each other, but are from the same team

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

precision posted:

is it pretty good?

It's not even remotely a Secret of Evermore sequel. It's a lot simpler, no managing alchemy ingredients or anything weird. I'd put it more in the Zelda category. I remember thinking it's decent. Pretty easy overall, unless you do the special extra level for finding all the hidden stuff. I'm not sure child me ever beat that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
did u fukken finish work yet? what time do you get off? jesus, just leave

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

ukrainius maximus posted:

I chose the flute as my instrument in 4th grade band because of this game but then my uncle made fun of me and I switched to trombone.

Your uncle is a dick

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Yeah but I ended up playing trombone in the end so it kind of worked out

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rusty?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

yea, thank your uncle. join my brass band

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Sadly I ain’t touched a bone for years, not even a rusty one. I hosed around once with my bud when we were drunk but it turns out it’s not like riding a bike. It’s hard to remember all the positions ya know?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
you just gotta blow through it from the diaphram... the finger/slide positions will cummmmmm

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
OP Gaia is a great game but how do you feel about pigs?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

:hfive: you’re in for such a treat, imo

everyone else has pointed out some of its strengths, but I would like to add that the soundtrack also is just about perfect. most of the major ruins you visit have their own theme (phrases from which you might even hear in other parts of the game), the end boss music loving slaps, some of the tracks that are part of the ending have been known to cause me to tear up a little

this game, Soul Blazer, Terranigma, Mystic Ark—there’s just something about those 90s Enix games that speak to me

also, I’ve always been more comfortable taking on the vampires Jack and Silvana with Will, since he has the Psycho Slide. if you can git gud with the Psycho Slide, it can deal nigh-ridiculous damage iirc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i started playing it, it's pretty geat but im stuck already lmao

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
More like illusion of a good game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao i've already missed 6 red gems somehow

jesus christ how haha

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Terra***ma is better

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Secret of Evermore reasons not to play these games

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

lmao i've already missed 6 red gems somehow

jesus christ how haha

All the red gems do is unlock a secret dungeon that literally does nothing for you when you beat it. Not worth it in my opinion.

SatansOnion posted:

:hfive: you’re in for such a treat, imo

everyone else has pointed out some of its strengths, but I would like to add that the soundtrack also is just about perfect. most of the major ruins you visit have their own theme (phrases from which you might even hear in other parts of the game), the end boss music loving slaps, some of the tracks that are part of the ending have been known to cause me to tear up a little

this game, Soul Blazer, Terranigma, Mystic Ark—there’s just something about those 90s Enix games that speak to me

also, I’ve always been more comfortable taking on the vampires Jack and Silvana with Will, since he has the Psycho Slide. if you can git gud with the Psycho Slide, it can deal nigh-ridiculous damage iirc

It's insane to me that the composer for the game did essentially nothing before or after. (Illusion of Gaia is literally his only composer credit)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
oh boy I can't wait to see my favorite pig

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
voted gok-

what the gently caress have you done

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

if I may, op, where are you stuck? I have enough of this game seared into my neurons that I just might be able to help

e: if it’s Castoth, hit his hands until they each disappear and then smack his head til he starts shaking; duck into a corner or something to wait out his tantrum, repeat until he fucks off. That specific first bit, about hitting his hands, stopped me dead in every playthrough for years until it sunk in that I should try it. and my parents and teachers called me smart as a child, can you even believe it? ee: and I owned the game along with its manual, which included a detailed walkthrough of the whole game, lmao at young me

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 4, 2022

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Illusion of Gaia also had one of my greatest young fail moments. In the Great Wall section there are spikes blocking your way you have to remove by hitting a switch. There was one spike in particular where, when I hit the switch, it wouldn't lower the associated spikes (or maybe partially lowered them; it's been a long time).

I was stuck here for literal weeks. I remember trying every single stupid thing I could. I felt a confused rage I'm not even sure I've felt since. I ended up being a little poo poo and calling a paid video game tipline phone number behind my folks back. At first my request was met with confusion, and then after a lengthy minute that apparently involved several members of the team working in concert, I was told you have to hit the switch twice. No other switch before or after this switch worked like that, just the one. You had to hit it twice. Worked like a charm when I tried it.

I remember being salty for a good minute about that one. Extra so when I got in trouble for calling the stupid tip line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
[whispering to date while playing Illusions of Gaia when Illusions of Gaia first appears on the screen] That's Illusions of Gaia