Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
did this thread seriously need a poll?
Yes
No
heck yes
heck no
mega fruity fresh and fruity yes
too blessed to be stressed no
don't worry, he'll tire himself out eventually
View Results

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Is that the game that had the cool topdown sequel that was never released in America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Akratic Method posted:

Pretty easy overall, unless you do the special extra level for finding all the hidden stuff. I'm not sure child me ever beat that.

Its literally just the first boss from Soul Blazer except you don't have the strafe ability that makes that fight manageable.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
In the US version the pig commits piggy suicide to feed a group of starving villagers, but in the Japanese version he does it to feed a group of starving cannibals who otherwise would go Texas Chainsaw Massacre on the protagonist and his friends.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What's Illusion of Time then?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

In the US version the pig commits piggy suicide to feed a group of starving villagers, but in the Japanese version he does it to feed a group of starving cannibals who otherwise would go Texas Chainsaw Massacre on the protagonist and his friends.

the way they were all bound up in front of the bonfire managed to convey the latter possibility to child me, despite any censorship or editing. god bless this game for being kind of bonkers in places

also, re: the bonus dungeon and Solid Arm—again, it’s doable if you git gud at Psycho Slide :smuggo:

e: in the version I played, the villagers’ utter desperation is underlined pretty heavily; they’re starving and a bunch of their number have been abducted and enslaved. it makes more sense in context than, say, what happens to the Jackal (lol and lmao @ the Jackal)

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 5, 2022

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Illusion of Gaia also had one of my greatest young fail moments. In the Great Wall section there are spikes blocking your way you have to remove by hitting a switch. There was one spike in particular where, when I hit the switch, it wouldn't lower the associated spikes (or maybe partially lowered them; it's been a long time).

I was stuck here for literal weeks. I remember trying every single stupid thing I could. I felt a confused rage I'm not even sure I've felt since. I ended up being a little poo poo and calling a paid video game tipline phone number behind my folks back. At first my request was met with confusion, and then after a lengthy minute that apparently involved several members of the team working in concert, I was told you have to hit the switch twice. No other switch before or after this switch worked like that, just the one. You had to hit it twice. Worked like a charm when I tried it.

I remember being salty for a good minute about that one. Extra so when I got in trouble for calling the stupid tip line.

I've probably beaten Illusion Of Gaia 20 times and I don't remember this at all. That's hilarious.

To be fair the game did come with a manual that was like 120 pages and walked you through the game if you needed it. Maybe that ridiculous puzzle was one of the ways Nintendo combated video game rentals (because they never include the manual).

A lot of 8 and 16 bit games were a lot harder in the US because video game rentals are illegal in Japan so they didn't feel like they needed to screw the player as much to make sure they couldn't beat it during a rental.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Bukowski posted:

What's Illusion of Time then?

European version. No clue why they changed the name, especially since it makes no sense.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I've probably beaten Illusion Of Gaia 20 times and I don't remember this at all. That's hilarious.

To be fair the game did come with a manual that was like 120 pages and walked you through the game if you needed it. Maybe that ridiculous puzzle was one of the ways Nintendo combated video game rentals (because they never include the manual).

A lot of 8 and 16 bit games were a lot harder in the US because video game rentals are illegal in Japan so they didn't feel like they needed to screw the player as much to make sure they couldn't beat it during a rental.

The manual didnt really have a walkthrough, it just told you how to get the first 20 or so red crystals.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
If you can make it through Mt. Kress (Mushroom Hell) without help you are more man than I.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Illusion of Gaia also had one of my greatest young fail moments. In the Great Wall section there are spikes blocking your way you have to remove by hitting a switch. There was one spike in particular where, when I hit the switch, it wouldn't lower the associated spikes (or maybe partially lowered them; it's been a long time).

I was stuck here for literal weeks. I remember trying every single stupid thing I could. I felt a confused rage I'm not even sure I've felt since. I ended up being a little poo poo and calling a paid video game tipline phone number behind my folks back. At first my request was met with confusion, and then after a lengthy minute that apparently involved several members of the team working in concert, I was told you have to hit the switch twice. No other switch before or after this switch worked like that, just the one. You had to hit it twice. Worked like a charm when I tried it.

I remember being salty for a good minute about that one. Extra so when I got in trouble for calling the stupid tip line.

:haibrow: I called the stupid tip line because I was stuck in a spot in The Lost Vikings, something with an arrow? I got in mega trouble. Ended up beating the rest of the game pretty handedly though. The Lost Vikings is good

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I called the sega tip line about Disney's Quackshot and my parents were chill as gently caress about it

:whatup:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
im thinking about getting Collection Of Mana on switch. i never played Secret of Mana but ppl like it right ????

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
This game was bad waht the heck is going on in this thread

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

runnypoops posted:

This game was bad waht the heck is going on in this thread

It was pretty good at times. Translation was sometimes whack but I liked it all the same

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

AARD VARKMAN posted:

im thinking about getting Collection Of Mana on switch. i never played Secret of Mana but ppl like it right ????

It's good. One of my top faves from the snes. Great music, fun visuals, weird (good) npcs. Grind if you want, cheese available if not.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Evermore are both bangers

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

ZeusCannon posted:

Is that the game that had the cool topdown sequel that was never released in America?

If you're referring to Terranigma, yes, that game is a sort of spiritual sequel. The 'loose trilogy' is Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terraenigma, the same way that John Carpenter has his "Apocalypse trilogy" in The Thing/Prince of Darkness/At The Mountain Of Madness.

precision posted:

lmao i've already missed 6 red gems somehow

jesus christ how haha

As said, not worth it finding them all. If you can find enough to get the last rewards before 'all of them', you're good.

Some are a real bitch to get: there's one in the first town that will only spawn if a fisherman is at a certain dock and you check his basket and to get him to move there you basically have to go in and out of houses until the RNG decides to move him there, and you have to do it basically right when you first see him because if you go to the next area you advance the plot and can't go back.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 6, 2022

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The secret of mana 2 remake was pretty good

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Illusion of Gaia is the best (real time combat) Enix rpg ever made

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i need to get some lunch but then i am gonna play some more illusion of gaia

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Yep

X JAKK posted:

The manual didnt really have a walkthrough, it just told you how to get the first 20 or so red crystals.

You have it a little backwards. The manual got you through like the first 5th of the game, but told you where all the red jewels were.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Um, EVO Search for Eden?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i was stuck here. standard RPG puzzle, "one of the walls sounds different" but man it BARELY makes a noise >:[

now i'm stuck AGAIN in the first dungeon lmao

im normally very good at video game

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Theres an optional scene to get high and poisoned on ayacabusa in south America

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

precision posted:

i was stuck here. standard RPG puzzle, "one of the walls sounds different" but man it BARELY makes a noise >:[

now i'm stuck AGAIN in the first dungeon lmao

im normally very good at video game

I remember for one of these there's a place in the wall where his hair blows if you're standing in front of it. Pretty clever sprite use IMO.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I got this game but other than Zelda had never played an RPG before and was still too young to really understand WTF was happening or what to do, and so it creeped me out and I never got anywhere.

Anyway that was a couple weeks ago, let me know how your run goes op because it stumped me that's for sure.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Bluemillion posted:

I remember for one of these there's a place in the wall where his hair blows if you're standing in front of it. Pretty clever sprite use IMO.

more than one place where that happens, actually! A close examination of where and when Will’s fine hair is moved by the wind can help you through some otherwise fiendish puzzles :eng101:

also idk about the rest of you but the version I bought had a no-fooling almost complete walkthrough of the whole game, including all of the Red Jewels. I can probably find them all by memory now

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Illusion of Gaia was great but I thought Terranigma (next/last game in the series) was even better.

Terranigma goddamn nutz!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Was Brainlord any good? I seem to remember it being of a similar genre, just uglier. The unfinished LP of it that is or was on the archive was pretty funny in how much the player disliked aspects of the game. We lost so much when viddler and Google video went down.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

kazr posted:

Um, EVO Search for Eden?

I love the premise, but the combat is rather clunky

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

kazr posted:

Um, EVO Search for Eden?

i loved this game and actually beat it. one of very few snes games i ever beat honestly

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
spore was my supposed to be my perfect game . .. like EVO on crack . . .. . LOL!!!!!!!!!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
This thread has filled me with memories of playing Illusion of Gaia and FF2 with my buddy during sleepovers. We watched the sun rise more times than we should have.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the cool bit about Brain Lord is the Jewels: you equip one and out comes a little buddy who can help you blast monsters or keep you safe or w/e, and it gets stronger as you fight and you can name them

less cool are all the jumping puzzles.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I loved this game when I was a kid, but had forgotten about it completely. Thank you for bringing it up op. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SatansOnion posted:

the cool bit about Brain Lord is the Jewels: you equip one and out comes a little buddy who can help you blast monsters or keep you safe or w/e, and it gets stronger as you fight and you can name them

less cool are all the jumping puzzles.

The LPer named the fire one "Fuseless" for a good reason. The name works on at least 3 levels.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I suspect OP finally encountered the vampires.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is illusionn of gay-a the next world of Warcraft OP? If so I guess that’s cool. I played wow in college but then I became cool (that didn’t last long LMAO amirite) but also I subscribe to an app slash channel called Gaia which has bullshit pseudoscience documentaries and meditations but I eat that poo poo up cuz I’m a goddamn. Moron well I hope your night is good.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

Was Brainlord any good? I seem to remember it being of a similar genre, just uglier. The unfinished LP of it that is or was on the archive was pretty funny in how much the player disliked aspects of the game. We lost so much when viddler and Google video went down.

One of my favourite snes games for some weirdass reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
is Gaia the illusion, or is Gaia the illusionist?