Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I believe ROH (so, Tony, now) owns the footage rights to all of their belts defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
ROH ROH ROH your boat

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
If ROH in its entirety just becomes The Codyverse, that's fantastic.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
If ROH becomes a super indie with Tony Khan's money along with lots of cameos from AEW stars and the other indies Tony has a good relationship with it'd be pretty fun to watch again. The ROH roster had a lot of people I liked on it but the shows were just so dull I haven't watched it regularly since the Generico/Steen days and even that was after a long hiatus because the rest of the show was still kinda dull

Things like ROH Women's Champion Sarena Deeb or ROH Pure Champion Daniel Garcia occasionally defending titles in AEW would be fun

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I know AEW has had success putting young guys in featured roles from the jump and Dark/Elevation already exist for reps, but I think there could be some value in running ROH primarily as a minor league thing.

For every Top Flight or Daniel Garcia that more or less clicks right away, there are people who could benefit from a more dynamic backburner than regular YouTube squash matches and occasional TV jobs. Give those people real stories to work with in ROH, let 'em get the seasoning and audience connection that comes with being the center of attention. Plus it can go hand-in-hand with ROH-as-superindie — if AEW didn't exist, something like Lee Moriarty vs. Wheeler Yuta would make sense as a top-level feud in a promotion trying to fill that void in 2022

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Whatever Tony does with ROH it means he’s kept it out of WWE’s hands which is good imo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd imagine we'll just see some ROH shows and TV will be ROH matches from Impact/Strong/AEW dark. I just don't see a second brand working as it's really never worked before in US wrestling

Also Tony booking 2 promotions at once would sure as hell be a recipe for burn out

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the way its been emphasized that tony khan bought ROH and not AEW as an entity, the way i think and kinda hope this goes is ROH operating as an independent smaller regional semi-indie, either taping from a dedicated arena or running smaller venues with better production values than most other indies, basically existing as a place to be an indie halfway gateway/developmental/place to utilize underused talent on shows. and yeah occasional crossover stories but it should be its own product with its own creative head, ideally a returning codjiman rhodes.

in the meantime, the aew catalog along with the ROH library are added to hbo max, which excalibur is already namedropping on air, giving me, personally, exactly what i want as far as aew streaming solutions goes.

and like to daves point, yeah the ROH name is kinda tainted and not worth much, and like, yeah does tony khan trying to do a heat check on his master of the universe powers by trying to rehab and revive his teenage favorite promotion sound like something that he might try and do? idk, to me it does, like, a lot. will it succeed? idk itd be cool though, and the tape library will be streaming SOMEWHERE eventually

e: if im doing it id run the northeast with a base in philly. nod to history, probably a boost in local interest, and not running florida into the ground

shiksa fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 4, 2022

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'd imagine we'll just see some ROH shows and TV will be ROH matches from Impact/Strong/AEW dark. I just don't see a second brand working as it's really never worked before in US wrestling

Also Tony booking 2 promotions at once would sure as hell be a recipe for burn out

I'm very much hoping that a resurrected ROH has an entirely independent booking and production team and big biceps Tony keeps his eyes on the AEW prize. There's enough ROH originals / long timers that he could easily get people who understand the "spirit" of old ROH.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Looking forward to the ROH Zombie making his debut on the first episode.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Seams posted:

Looking forward to the ROH Zombie making his debut on the first episode.

Necro Butcher is All Honor.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm hoping that Tony pulls of a Cyberfight and keeps the promotions basically separate and autonomous.

NOAH has almost exactly the same name recognition/brand tarnishing issues and it's slowly having a revival under new ownership

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

fez_machine posted:

I'm hoping that Tony pulls of a Cyberfight and keeps the promotions basically separate and autonomous.

NOAH has almost exactly the same name recognition/brand tarnishing issues and it's slowly having a revival under new ownership

If they're going by the Noah model they'll give Bully Ray the main title, give Daniels the secondary one, and break up and reform Top Flight every three or four shows.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Lamuella posted:

If they're going by the Noah model they'll give Bully Ray the main title, give Daniels the secondary one, and break up and reform Top Flight every three or four shows.

Closer would be new-ROH actually getting SCSA fulltime and have him go over Daniel Garcia every time they face each other in various matchups. And they face each other 3 times a month. and since it's ROH it'd be The Kingdom breaking up and reforming every 3 or 4 shows. Give us charts with current group alignments on the preshow coward TK.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when cody takes over he's going to rename it to Rang of Honor and move HQ to georgia where they will run shows out of the newly built Municipal Auditorium 2

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hey MRT, I remember you saying Cody's time as ROH Champion did good business, do we have an idea of who the best drawing champion was?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It'll be interesting to see if Tony offers ROH deals to current AEW wrestlers whose contracts are coming up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hey MRT, I remember you saying Cody's time as ROH Champion did good business, do we have an idea of who the best drawing champion was?

It's a really hard question to answer. Cody did well but had the belt for 6 months. Business was hotter in 2018 but Dalton and Lethal weren't drawing those crowds. But if you want raw ticket sales it's that 17-18 period.

In terms of a percentage of the house increase maybe Morishima or Nigel since their crowds went up in 07 and 08, especially in the big markets. They went from 500-800 in New York to selling out the Grand Ballroom in 06 to overselling it in 2007 with like 1,400-500 people crammed in and then the Hammerstein in 2008. They also started doing Mania weekend even when it was outside their usual cities (they did 2004 in New York but skipped 05 in LA, then did 2006 in Chicago and 07 in Detroit before doing it every year and drawing well enough that every indie wanted to.)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Davros1 posted:

It'll be interesting to see if Tony offers ROH deals to current AEW wrestlers whose contracts are coming up.

Cage is coming to Ring of Honor

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I just hope Tony -- for both ROH and AEW's sake -- learns to delegate and have a booking committee.

He can make the final calls, he can steer the ship, but otherwise, he's headed towards burn out city.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Davros1 posted:

Presumably part of the reason he's been on a hiring spree the last few months is so he's got bodies to send to ROH. Especially with the hints from the media scrum that he wants it to be his version of NXT

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I predict Tony is going to be an on-screen authority figure for ROH

Until the end of the first episode when he takes a Cross Rhodes and Cody picks up his pencil

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Penguin Patrol posted:

I predict Tony is going to be an on-screen authority figure for ROH

Until the end of the first episode when he takes a Cross Rhodes and Cody picks up his pencil

Imagine 2 hours or TV every week that's Codypilled

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

My body is ready for Ring of Cody

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
All the good guys inexplicably treat everyone like poo poo, are bleached blonde and have terrible tattoos.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Imagine 2 hours or TV every week that's Codypilled

I don't need to imagine, I have the good era of AEW to watch.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't need to imagine, I have the good era of AEW to watch.

That wasn't a full two hours, the codyverse had its own thing going on.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Presumably part of the reason he's been on a hiring spree the last few months is so he's got bodies to send to ROH. Especially with the hints from the media scrum that he wants it to be his version of NXT
I hope you're right, because I'm sure he won't be getting back everyone who used to be contracted. I'm sure he's also conscious of NXT's problem of calling up main roster ready people before their current stories are done, and wants to avoid that.

I wonder if he'll be making offers to lucha guys like Bandido/Horus/Flamita who can easily get gigs in Mexico.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this commercial but inside the briefcase is the concept of jungle boy as roh champion for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLKiHfux50I

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Thanks to whoever fixed my typo in the thread title.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

sticklefifer posted:

I hope you're right, because I'm sure he won't be getting back everyone who used to be contracted. I'm sure he's also conscious of NXT's problem of calling up main roster ready people before their current stories are done, and wants to avoid that.

I wonder if he'll be making offers to lucha guys like Bandido/Horus/Flamita who can easily get gigs in Mexico.

He'll get them because even ROH was paying way better than they would make in Mexico.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bandido just showed up in MLW in a pretty fun match.

MLW Middleweight Title:
Tajiri (c) vs Bandido vs Matt Cross vs Myron Reed

The end spot is one of the coolest cutter executions I've ever seen.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Bandido just showed up in MLW in a pretty fun match.

MLW Middleweight Title:
Tajiri (c) vs Bandido vs Matt Cross vs Myron Reed

The end spot is one of the coolest cutter executions I've ever seen.

Hang on, Tajiri's over in the US?

And Regal just signed with AEW?

Hmm...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lamuella posted:

Hang on, Tajiri's over in the US?

And Regal just signed with AEW?

Hmm...

He wasn't over for very long, he's already back in All Japan unfortunately

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, he had a Middleweight title stint and then went back. He even defended it in AJPW once or twice. MLW tapes pretty well in advance.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/tony-khan-to-handle-creative-for-roh-supercard-of-honor-xv?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

quote:

Tony Khan's first show as Ring of Honor booker will be at Supercard of Honor XV.

Speaking on Wrestling Observer Live, Dave Meltzer noted that Khan will be handling creative for the company's return show on April 1 from Dallas, Texas.

"They did the sale as quick as they could and now they're trying to figure out exactly what they're going to do," Meltzer said. "The key is Tony Khan is going to be booking a show on April 1, which isn't very far away and we don't have a lineup. It's going to be very tricky to put together a lineup. I would presume that there will be a bunch of AEW guys on the show just because there's nobody, as in zero, people under Ring of Honor contract."

Meltzer also commented on plans for the pay-per-view in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

"All plans previous are off and Khan will be handling the creative, but they are not looking at starting from scratch and eliminating champions and such or killing prior storylines," Meltzer wrote.

It is believed that ROH World Champion Jonathan Gresham vs. Bandido will still headline the show but that's something the AEW president would have to sign off on.

It was also noted in the newsletter that ROH employees are expecting to be laid off by Sinclair imminently.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1504863546206785536

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Tony will go crazy will all the stress of booking ROH weekly, Dynamite, Dark; elevation, Dark, Rampage, as well as overseeing Fulham Fc and the Jaguars.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

TK doesn't book Dark or Elevation, the Captain does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Bandido vs Gresham is a helluva main event and there’s a strong incentive to impress with the possibility of a lucrative contract for both of them.