Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hey folks, I'm here to tell you about how cool books are.

You can read something completely made up, or about something/someone/somewhere or whatever that was not made up at all.

But if you do it with an ebook, you're a gosh darned idiot. ebooks are stupid as poo poo, because the best part of a book, is the book itself.

First and foremost, that new book smell. Or even that thrift store book smell. Daaaaaamn. Then when you read it you actually get to turn the pages rather than swipe the screen. As a result of that, you get to see the spine of your book grow wrinkles as you work through the book.

Then you get the pleasure of looking at your books on the shelf, with their wrinkled spines, and be like "hell yeah, I remember that book, I'm gonna read it again."

Thread title mentions bad books, I don't think we should talk about them. But talking about how good books are, and even suggesting good books to read is cool ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Of course the best way to encounter a text is in alphabet soup format.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Books are cool. But I always read like 5 at the same time so it takes me forever to finish them.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I've found it very soothing in recent weeks to walk to a local bar and sit outside in winter weather while nursing one beer for hours and reading bits of the book titled the "Hepatitis Bathtub" from an old punk rock band called NOFX. I've talked about this thing elsewhere. It's likely the gnarliest non-fiction book I've ever picked up. I mean stabbings, theft, kidnappings, murder, rape, drugs, multiple arrests, suicides, riots. It's the only book in memory I've had to fold up and step away from with "jesus christ, holy poo poo" thoughts in my head. But I get to sit quietly alone and read a book about a band I used to like. The cover is a cartoonish depiction of the members and then you open it up and immediately read about past child molestation. It's rough but maybe that's why I respect their honesty.

edit: crap, please do not investigate this book or storyline if things like heroin or cocaine trigger some sort of past situation.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 4, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

ebooks are better than physical books in every measurable way......but they're lacking a certain je ne sais quoi, non?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

audiobooks are the best way to experience books because you can do something else with your eyes and hands other than stare at the page and hold the page

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ebooks suck. The page numbers were always way off whenever I tried reading one.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ebooks suck. The page numbers were always way off whenever I tried reading one.

why do you need page numbers

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

roomtone posted:

Book club bb

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My favorite books are the ones that have big pictures of women going to the toilet on them. And the camera gets really close so you can see the pee coming right out. They only have them in very special libraries though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

roomtone posted:

To find specific chapters.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i think the only people who like physical books have never tried to move house

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

highlight the section on the ereader then, get all your talking points in a list

but they have chapters you can actually click on at the start of the book and skip right to, or swipe left to bring up all the chapters wherever you are in the book depending on the ereader

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

What dumbass reads a book out of order?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

roomtone posted:

but they have chapters you can actually click on at the start of the book and skip right to, or swipe left to bring up all the chapters wherever you are in the book depending on the ereader

On some books they just don't work. lovely transfer/adaptations I guess.

chaosbreather posted:

:negative:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

roomtone posted:

highlight the section on the ereader then, get all your talking points in a list

The other people in teh club want to look at the section I'm talking about.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
It's ok to enjoy either format, and e-thingies now basically are like paper, visually.

You can stick em in a waterproof sleeve thing and read them in the shower, it's hella zen.

And for like 1gb of storage, you can drop every book written by mankind on there. Try carrying a whole library on your back, which still doesn't have the entire works of the human race.

You can always just go huff your display shelf of physical books you will never read again for that olfactory high.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Also literally every book is free if you want, and scientific journals too. Text takes up no storage space at all. :pirate:

Just don't be a dick about it if someone is an up and coming writer you like. If they are dead or rich as gently caress, go nuts.

We can fit most human knowledge and literature on a single USB stick, and that's the way almost everyone who contributed to that would have wanted. Unless they were a dick. In which case, they sucked anyway.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

chaosbreather posted:

I understand this because a few years ago I chose to move nearer to family with what I could pack into a sedan. Took most of my books to Half Price Books and got a sum equivalent to a tank of gas for dozens of books I'd read, would have loved to keep, but couldn't travel with. I still like books.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

that's fine that you like to sniff paper or whatever but maybe don't go around saying ebooks are for idiots

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm sorry that books are bad now because of USB sticks. This was an unfortunate turn of events I did not see coming.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
physical books are nice things to have and i certainly cherish my well-worn copies of my favorite books but ebooks are so much nicer for the actual act of reading that it isn't close. you can read in bed without having to hold it at a weird angle or screw around with a reading light and you have a jillion books right there in one lightweight plastic slab.

you def want a e-reader with buttons instead of just a touchscreen for the absolute minimum necessary physical movement to read. they took buttons off kindles for a while but then they made button ones again cause the buttonless ones sucked

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

roomtone posted:

that's fine that you like to sniff paper or whatever but maybe don't go around saying ebooks are for idiots

well they are, freaking owned

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm rereading Musashi binch.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

kntfkr posted:

I'm rereading Musashi binch.

Musashi Balls mofugga!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i think it's generally a lot easier to call physical books 'p-books', because they smell like pee and are urine-quality, and then you can just call regular normal digital books 'books', you can also call audio books 'a-books' because they are A-tier because they are even better than books (previously, "ebooks")

recommend doing the same thing with sports, esports are the real sports if you think about it for half a second

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

And then read a real gosh danged book!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

see i don't use audiobooks because i usually don't like the voice of whoever is reading it, or at least, i don't want their voice all the way through.

i listen to levar burton reads at work sometimes but that's okay because they are just short stories. and levar has a particularly nice voice but i wouldn't want to hear him read some kind of hosed up sex drama.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Check out your local library! :thumbsup:

Many libraries also have digital collections of ebooks, audio books, journals, magazines, etc as well.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Chief McHeath posted:

And then read a real gosh danged book!

what's your favourite real book application, mine is Apple Books on iPad Pro or iPhone 12 Pro Max

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Why get dedicated e-reader pads? The apps work on the regular doodads what you allready have. Dark mode and brightness down away you go.
Buttons? Yeah i'd like some buttons on my gotdang phone too actually my fingers are fat and stupod.

Oh and I LIKE ebooks and I DO NOT like audiobooks. Audiobooks should have a full cast for all characters, maybe good v/a's could do several characters.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Leper Go-getter posted:

Why get dedicated e-reader pads? The apps work on the regular doodads what you allready have. Dark mode and brightness down away you go.
Buttons? Yeah i'd like some buttons on my gotdang phone too actually my fingers are fat and stupod.

Oh and I LIKE ebooks and I DO NOT like audiobooks. Audiobooks should have a full cast for all characters, maybe good v/a's could do several characters.

if you want to turn that opinion right the gently caress around, i highly recommend the Sherlock Holmes Definitive Collection (71h 57m!), and Volume 1 (40h 37m) and Volume 2 (45h 25m) of P.G Wodehouse. all read by stephen fry, who i assure you is utterly convincing playing a series of mostly upperclass britishers

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Yeah I like books. What of it

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Yeah I like books. What of it

What of it? Really dang good on ya!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ebooks rule because i can get them for free op suck it.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

but i will agree a physical book is better :)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

BIG TIT LIL NIP, I agree. The real book is better, but if you can get people books in their device that is good too.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I like big rear end TASCHEN artbooks with hella TITTIES in 'em. :dukedog:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Regular books are nice but ebooks are also nice. I really like them because if my SO is asleep I can use the backlight if the kindle to read instead of needing a lamp, and also my kindle is waterproof so I can read it in a tub or a pool or on the beach without having to worry about pages getting damaged. Speaking of reading on the beach, it was awesome when I finished my book and was able to just order the next one in the series from my chair instead of having to wait till I got home to buy a new one.

Also if I’m traveling for work I can have like a whole rear end library of books I could choose to read instead of fitting one or two in my backpack - it sucks to get on a plane or something and find that you don’t feel like reading the one physical book you brought. Or if you read more than you thought you would and finish your books too fast and don’t have anything to read for the rest of your trip.

Physical books are cool too though, but more to read during the day, not near water, while I’m at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It does suck when you move