Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers

say hello to my little friend

The pandemic has been really bad and stressful for everyone. I don't wanna downplay that. A lot of people have died and it's been a really stressful time full of forcibly learning who has dumb and bad politics. I lost my job because of it! I found out my aunt is a nasty chud! :(

But let's share some nice positive things that happened to us, or to the world, as a result of the pandemic. For better or for worse it's here and even though we're not happy it's here, maybe we can talk about the silver linings of this hosed up timeline.

I think mRNA stuff is really cool and I think there's gonna be a lot of cool therapies that come out of it and I think that research is gonna happen a lot quicker thanks to the work done fast tracking the mRNA vaccine.

I also think it's really cool that masks have been more normalized in public.

I'm glad a lot of people get to work from home and that work-from-home accommodations have been proven to be easily implementable by a lot of companies. A lot of folks like disabled folks and parents will really benefit from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

most people thought coronaviruses were for the realm of veterinarian science.

now it isn’t.

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

frump truck

hello... again!

my butt got bigger

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I've always been an isolationist so it was fun 2 watch the world try and do my job

I like to think maybe a few ppl learned some self reliance in this time but it's hard 2 say :shrug:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Tiny Myers posted:

I found out my aunt is a nasty chud! :(

pictured: my aunt debbie :whitewater:

Areola Grande fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 6, 2022

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Escape From Noise

I found out that my work situation could be far far worse.

Escape From Noise

I learned to be alone because my neurosis and texting drove a lot of people away.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

i got giant balls from the vaccine

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
my synthesizer was born and grew up during plague times

my electronic childe, fruit of my galvanic loins

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Tiny Myers

This thread was meant to be good but instead it is just sad.

I think my thread is bad on the internet

I've committed posting sins :smith:

Thank you How Wonderful! for the autumn sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It's not bad at all. I think this is a reasonable and good thread.

I learned that it's okay to be alone in your house, and I learned a lot of independence, which I've never been allowed to have before.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I fixed my mother's sewing machine and remembered how to do some basic tailoring.

I learned some good bean recipes.

It was nice to walk outside and see no cars for the few weeks when everything was closed.

A lot of people realized how bullshit and wasteful our economy is.

People with more creative talent than me had free time to do some cool stuff.

biosterous

i realized i was bi, got a cat, grew my hair and beard out long, got better at spreadsheets and photo editing, had the time to get diagnosed with a brain problem i knew i had, got meds for that brain problem

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Tiny Myers posted:

it's a good thread

serious answer: being able to work from home has been really great for my mental health. my commute isn't bad, but getting back like 90 minutes every day has given me the opportunity to work more on personal projects, especially programming as a hobby. it was a lot harder to do that while i was in work mode 11 hours a day. it's kind of weird that working in the same place i live has been good for work-life balance but here we are!

there are definitely consequences that i could live without...thinking purely about myself, it hasn't been great for my depression/anxiety to be stuck in the apartment all this time, but now that we're coming toward the "end" of the pandemic in massachusetts i'm able to start getting out and doing things again. my husband and i are going to start having our weekly ramen dates again, i'm starting on pro wrestling training, and just generally i'll be able to get re-acclimated to seeing people in meatspace and doing real life things!

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

my wife made a bunch of nifty fabric masks with the sewing machine I bought her seven years ago.

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

Heather Papps

hello friend

I know two babies that were cooked during the pandemic so that's good and cool and funny and cute

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I was taking a long time to finish my dissertation because life was too fun and if I went outside too many interesting things were going on, but during the first year of the pandemic I really had nothing but time to focus and work. So I was able to finish it super easily after finding it pretty difficult for the first few years, and now I'm a doctor and everybody is forced to respect me.

It also made me learn to appreciate and cherish my online friendships more because folks I rarely or never saw irl became such a lifeline and a comfort. Ditto the handful of people we eventually felt ok spending time with in-person grew even more precious to us, both family and friends.

Being stuck inside also made both me and Bingo Bango a lot better at homebody type activities-- she got wicked good at knitting and crocheting instead of just good, I got pretty good at fermenting and preserving stuff, we both did a lot of baking. We made a lot of art together and separately. Since I couldn't do in-person readings I also did a bunch more virtual events and podcast spots and stuff which was fun and let me work with people I ordinarily probably wouldn't have had a chance to work with.

A lot of good things happened in my life that weren't necessarily pandemic related but which happened anyway. We bought a house, we got a new niece, my brother got married to someone really good for him, etc..

Today me and Bingo Bango went out to eat at a restaurant for the first time in months and it was a lot of fun... I had biscuits and mushroom gravy and she had challah french toast. We walked around downtown, went to the bookstore and the comic shop, bought some home improvement things and puttered around in the yard getting ready for spring planting season. We have a pretty good life and I think in a kind of depressing way the past two years have helped us be more cognizant of our good fortune.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

google THIS

Heather Papps posted:

I know two babies that were cooked during the pandemic so that's good and cool and funny and cute

Whenever the smol bean counters get around to it I bet we'll find the pandemic inspired a lot of baby cooking

gleebster

Only a howler
I learned a simple cloth mask is a lot easier to use than a muffler and keeps my nose just as warm in winter.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
I live in a very conservative southern state with a history of providing only the bare minimum of social services. Our state's response to the pandemic was actually decent. Our state health department and other state agencies actually did a good job of rolling out the vaccine and making testing available, even in counties where access to health care is poor. Amazingly, our hack politician governor actually listened to what the state public health officer and other medical professionals were telling him, and for the most part did the right things.

Individually, humans are pretty fragile, but collectively we are impressively resilient (for better or worse).

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

my boss got covid

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

Escape From Noise

Tiny Myers posted:

It's not bad! To clarify my earlier post I was at home doing nothing for a year until I got a job offer at another brewery out in Wakayama. I took it and it ended up being just awful. It was probably the worst run company I have ever worked at in my entire life. No exaggeration. I'd specifically asked about getting two days off in a row a week and was told something like "We'll see what we can do". In retrospect I shouldn't have taken it but I felt desperate. Without going into a ton of details I worked there for three months and was completely miserable because of how poorly everything was run and how poor quality the beer was. I was supposed to improve things but not allowed to make any changes. Finally, the owner came in to yell at me and my coworker for a full thirty minutes over a minor mistake and I realized I couldn't put up with this anymore. Asked my old company if they'd take me back, they wanted me to return, so I put in my notice.

I have my frustrations here but that move made me realize how careful I need to be about jumping ship.

Second post was me making fun of myself. Reading back it went to far. Sorry about that.

French Accent

work from home has made my life much less stressful and i dont have to worry about gas money as much

Tiny Myers

Escape From Noise posted:

It's not bad! To clarify my earlier post I was at home doing nothing for a year until I got a job offer at another brewery out in Wakayama. I took it and it ended up being just awful. It was probably the worst run company I have ever worked at in my entire life. No exaggeration. I'd specifically asked about getting two days off in a row a week and was told something like "We'll see what we can do". In retrospect I shouldn't have taken it but I felt desperate. Without going into a ton of details I worked there for three months and was completely miserable because of how poorly everything was run and how poor quality the beer was. I was supposed to improve things but not allowed to make any changes. Finally, the owner came in to yell at me and my coworker for a full thirty minutes over a minor mistake and I realized I couldn't put up with this anymore. Asked my old company if they'd take me back, they wanted me to return, so I put in my notice.

I have my frustrations here but that move made me realize how careful I need to be about jumping ship.

Second post was me making fun of myself. Reading back it went to far. Sorry about that.

I think your posts were okay and I'm glad you got out of your toxic job. Thank you for expounding more. :)

I was just worried this thread might be too like, trying to make lemonade out of some especially sour lemons. Like maybe some lemons are just too sour. I know the pandemic wasn't good for a lot of people and a lot of people have died in horrible ways for no reason. But I'm glad everyone has posted and made it a nice thread after all. I really appreciate it.

Thank you How Wonderful! for the autumn sig!

Escape From Noise

Yeah, it wasn't all roses, and I think you made that very clear in the OP.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Well, had it not been for the pandemic and all the free time, I wouldn't have pestered my old high school friend with so much political poo poo in his messages that he suggested to me a site called somethingawful, namely a subthread called C-SPAM to offload my neurotic political fever anxieties. And had I not found C-SPAM I subsequently would not have then lot my marbles and went out searching for them along a beach named BYOB.

So, I have found all of you thanks to the pandemic.

And I love you all.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
i got way way too fat and decided i needed a big change and now i'm more fit than i was before the pandemic

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
The five feet commute is awesome

Finally those dinosaur managers who all believed "work from home" is slang for "does nothing on company time" have been proven wrong. Also it has become obvious they were all projecting anyway, those lazy poopy heads.

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

Music schools in my area started doing online lessons, and while there are definitely benefits to in person instruction, I'm able to do lessons way more regularly.

In general, having more lectures/courses/events move online was really wonderful as I was able to "attend" a bunch of stuff I otherwise wouldn't have been able to in person

teen witch
working from home is a godsend. I also managed to get help for a particularly nasty brain worm.

I also learned that I am uncomfortably resilient, however sometimes i wish I didn’t need to be.

Heather Papps

hello friend

this has nothing to do with the pandemic at all but it happened during:

got some bee hives

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Munkeylord
My 8 lbs dogs lick their paws before during and after they come in the house. It's probably allergies, but covid may be a big factor in unusual dog paw licking. They still deficate in rooms with open doors, I'm at a loss on why

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake

I made and released an album I'm really happy with.

I started hanging out online playing games with my brother once a week, which was nice since we'd been drifting apart a little.