Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

The Leuchterm 120 got rather raving reviews for fountain pen in more places so I guess I'll go with that. I have an old Paperblanks lying about with blank paper, maybe that is from before the lovely paper period but I need to be happy with a notebook and would like to prevent being disappointed but then again who doesn't and life sucks yadiya.

After filling a B5 notebook I would advise against it, I found it unwieldy to use on the road and there was so much room for stuff it basically never got filled up, I had to force myself to wrap it up. Of course, if you want more room: go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, my style at the time tended towards a lot of scrapbook inspired pages of taping in big pictures and cut outs of news articles. If you're just doing writing it would be a bit more daunting, I'd imagine.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I quite like the paperblanks just because I'm a sucker for a pretty cover.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

sb hermit posted:

Do you use fountain pens? If so, what kind of ink do you use?

I'm trying to find an alternative to Noodler's bernanke blue.

I'm gonna see if I can start doodling this year to improve my artistry. Hopefully it goes somewhere...

I have one fountain pen, it's a Platinum Preppy Blue Black one, and... I got it coz it wasn't particularly expensive, but the nib is thicker than I expected (which isn't a bad thing given my various lefty writing peculiarities), but the ink colour isn't my fave and on my journal the blue-grey doesn't look great and that + how thick the nib is means I can't fit in as many words and don't like how it looks so much. I personally prefer a more Royal Blue colour, my usual journalling pen is a bright blue rollerball needlepoint (I like the needlepoint pens coz they discourage me from pressing too hard on the paper/at too harsh an angle).

Also, if anyone here's a lefty and wanting to try brush lettering/hand lettering but are daunted by fountain pens - I cannot recommend Pentel Sign Pens enough. They are far cheaper and have a flexible tip, which makes them way more forgiving than brush markers. It means you won't destroy them as quickly if you've got any funny writing quirks, and you don't feel too bereft if you mush the tip over time since it won't happen within 15 minutes of using it.

They also have an excellent colour range and you can buy singles, which is important if you're a chaos goblin like me who likes colour and occasionally loses/destroys individual pens. I have the Brush Ups set in primary colours, and while I kinda covet the pastels set, I didn't think I'd use them enough*, so I bought the blue from the pastel set by itself coz it better matches my preferences to the blue in my existing set.

* I may still get the pastels. I tell myself this is a cheaper hobby than drugs or alcohol. :classiclol:

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 4, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

froglet posted:

I have one fountain pen, it's a Platinum Preppy Blue Black one, and... I got it coz it wasn't particularly expensive, but the nib is thicker than I expected (which isn't a bad thing given my various lefty writing peculiarities), but the ink colour isn't my fave and on my journal the blue-grey doesn't look great and that + how thick the nib is means I can't fit in as many words and don't like how it looks so much. I personally prefer a more Royal Blue colour, my usual journalling pen is a bright blue rollerball needlepoint (I like the needlepoint pens coz they discourage me from pressing too hard on the paper/at too harsh an angle).

Also, if anyone here's a lefty and wanting to try brush lettering/hand lettering but are daunted by fountain pens - I cannot recommend Pentel Sign Pens enough. They are far cheaper and have a flexible tip, which makes them way more forgiving than brush markers. It means you won't destroy them as quickly if you've got any funny writing quirks, and you don't feel too bereft if you mush the tip over time since it won't happen within 15 minutes of using it.

They also have an excellent colour range and you can buy singles, which is important if you're a chaos goblin like me who likes colour and occasionally loses/destroys individual pens. I have the Brush Ups set in primary colours, and while I kinda covet the pastels set, I didn't think I'd use them enough*, so I bought the blue from the pastel set by itself coz it better matches my preferences to the blue in my existing set.

* I may still get the pastels. I tell myself this is a cheaper hobby than drugs or alcohol. :classiclol:

Ah. Well, if you decide to journal with a fountain pen, please let us know what ink you use.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

froglet posted:

Just don't get into fountain pens, that is equally financially crippling.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

sb hermit posted:

Ah. Well, if you decide to journal with a fountain pen, please let us know what ink you use.

I think you could use the ink Swatch to find what you're after.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Anyone use binder notebooks/planners? The prospect of reordering stuff appeals to my ADHD Brain but I'm not thrilled about the bulk

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Xand_Man posted:

Anyone use binder notebooks/planners? The prospect of reordering stuff appeals to my ADHD Brain but I'm not thrilled about the bulk

I'm using a knockoff of the Traveler's Notebook with the authentic Midori fills. Currently equipped it with a monthly planner and a blank notebook for whatever else comes up. It's pretty sleek, the leather smells great, and the paper quality is excellent. I'm already on my second monthly planner refill.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pixelante posted:

I think you could use the ink Swatch to find what you're after.

I'm looking for anecdotes.

Chaosqueen
Aug 21, 2020
Hallo and a happy new year!

First of all I want to show you my 2023-setup. It's nothing special, I was in a hurry because the year had already begun.

I hope the year started well for all of you. May all your wishes come true that are good for you. :-)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Chaosqueen posted:

Hallo and a happy new year!

First of all I want to show you my 2023-setup. It's nothing special, I was in a hurry because the year had already begun.

I hope the year started well for all of you. May all your wishes come true that are good for you. :-)

I don't speak German but I really like your affirmations and will be repeating "ich bin ein GLÜCKSMAGNET" to myself this year as it sounds powerful.

I looked it up; it means "luck magnet", I think?

I gave up my on Lt1917 A6-sized weekly planner last year in favor of dumping everything into my phone again, but I am hoping to fill up a journal this year and will post if it gets cool looking.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Without checking I think I see 'I am a luck magnet!' 'I have lots of power and energy!' 'I eat healthily!' 'I am disciplined and hard working!' 'I have good and hard-working pupils!'

And maybe something about riding a bike to a particular town, which is also kickass:)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Not mentioning my imagination going wild with the censored out bits but that is goons for you (sorry).

After some consideration I grabbed the blank (unlined) paperblank book I had shelved for years and as expected, this was the old paper! Rejoice! My pens work well on it, or as well as can be expected. It is 144 pages so it will take me some three or four months to fill and _then_ I'll use the Leuchterm 120.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Keetron posted:

Just don't get into fountain pens, that is equally financially crippling.

Hahah. Ahahaha. Haaaah.

Guess who impulse-bought a Lamy Safari while on holiday today... :v:

While testing the nibs on my journal at the store, one of the sales staff asked "Is that an Archer & Olive journal?"

Why yes, yes it is, for this is one of my obsessions.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

froglet posted:

Hahah. Ahahaha. Haaaah.

While testing the nibs on my journal at the store, one of the sales staff asked "Is that an Archer & Olive journal?"

What size nib? And will you be able to test it anytime soon?

In the fountain pen thread, I think people generally really love the safari but the quality control is all over the place. Fingers crossed that you have a good one!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Unless, of course, the pen you tested at the store is what you took home.

In which case... did you pick up any inks at the store?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

froglet posted:

Hahah. Ahahaha. Haaaah.

Lamy Safari, the gateway drug to pen collecting. Everything considered, it is not even that stellar a pen but it is good in getting people hooked.

I need those notebooks in my life, how does the paper handle fountain pen ink?

edit: nvm, they don't sell in the EU

Keetron fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 16, 2023

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Keetron posted:

Lamy Safari, the gateway drug to pen collecting. Everything considered, it is not even that stellar a pen but it is good in getting people hooked.

If you mean Archer and Olive, there's another company called Odyssey Notebooks https://odysseynotebooks.com/ that uses the exact same paper for their 160 gsm journals. It looks like there are a few retailers in the EU that sell them, including one in Germany that ships within the EU. It handles fountain pen ink very well! It's so thick it almost feels like overkill sometimes, but it takes markers and some paints really great too. (Translucent watercolor is the one thing it can't handle super well, but most multimedia papers can't so it's not surprising.)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

DurianGray posted:

If you mean Archer and Olive, there's another company called Odyssey Notebooks https://odysseynotebooks.com/ that uses the exact same paper for their 160 gsm journals. It looks like there are a few retailers in the EU that sell them, including one in Germany that ships within the EU. It handles fountain pen ink very well! It's so thick it almost feels like overkill sometimes, but it takes markers and some paints really great too. (Translucent watercolor is the one thing it can't handle super well, but most multimedia papers can't so it's not surprising.)

That German reseller has an amazing selection. But I have enough notebooks already! What to do thread, help me out?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

That German reseller has an amazing selection. But I have enough notebooks already! What to do thread, help me out?

Do what your heart tells you.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

sb hermit posted:

Do what your heart tells you.

Well, I checked out the entire website and they do not carry the 160gsm blank books, only a small selection is 68gsm tomoe river blank and everything else is lined or dotted. Can't blame them for keeping a reasonable inventory and it saves me some money.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Keetron posted:

Haha I'm on holiday right now, so I think working out where to upload my pictures of the tests I did in the back of my journal then sharing them is a bit beyond me right now since I'm on mobile.

Shame they don't sell in the EU, I thought you'd get a few stockists there at least - the stationer I got mine through is no longer restocking them coz they won't supply to Australian stockists, but maybe that's a worldwide thing?

froglet fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 17, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

Well, I checked out the entire website and they do not carry the 160gsm blank books, only a small selection is 68gsm tomoe river blank and everything else is lined or dotted. Can't blame them for keeping a reasonable inventory and it saves me some money.

I have a ton of journals, but none with nice paper, I think. I'll have to try a 160gsm sometime.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Oooh what a perfect thread! I’ve had a life-long addiction to stationary but am awful at actually using it. I got a Leuchtturm 1917 Red Dots notebook ~5 years ago and tried to use it on/off, but only in the last few months have figured out a good system for my ADHD addled brain (and it’s still a work in progress!).

I’ve been trying my hand at lettering (using some reference books) and am pretty pleased with my month spreads:

The non-month pages are just day break-downs with a daily and weekly to-do/goal list. The times are more of an intention than anything else; stuff usually moves around quite a bit. I’m not working atm and if I’m not very deliberate my time-off seems to vanish without me realizing.

(One of my 2023 resolutions is to fill all my sketchbooks)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Crocobile posted:

(One of my 2023 resolutions is to fill all my sketchbooks)
Honest question from a fellow sketcher: Are you planning to force yourself to fill multiple pages per day? I know, quantity over quality to improve drawing, but it would be way too ambitious for me.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The sketchbooks are ~5”x8” or smaller, so a 2-page spread is more like 1-page of a A4. I’ve been trying to do more contours and loose gesture studies to loosen up. It’s definitely more about mileage.

I’m about to completely annihilate myself with a dynamic sketching class.
:negative:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Here’s March:

Got a bunch of sticker packs from AliExpress a few years ago and doing my best to use them now!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Using up stickers is a big motivation for my journal stuff.

Can't believe Paperchase are closing. Main source of notebooks for me for years!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Using up stickers is a big motivation for my journal stuff.

Can't believe Paperchase are closing. Main source of notebooks for me for years!

For using stickers, I send letters that I put stickers in and on the envelope.

Some time back I went to London and visited https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/ and they seemed to have a decent selection.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oooo might have to drop in.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
My best friend started journaling a few months ago, and we started a friends' journal for the group of us to doodle and stuff in. It's convinced me to start on my own, and I'm determined to improve my handwriting. I need to slow down and make sure my handwriting is legible rather than just making GBS threads words onto paper as quick as possible.

We went to B&N the other day, and I found two journals to start with. I also ended up picking up a tarot deck because I've wanted to get into tarot for the longest time but never knew how to get started. So I'm just getting started with that. The Modern Witch Tarot Deck by Lisa Sterle jumped out at me and I just had to buy it. I love the artwork in it, while still being very traditionally "tarot" or at least what my mind pictures as tarot, it's very affirming and inclusive and I love it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nice!! There are some really nice tarot sets out there. Please show us if you feel like it when you've decorated some pages!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Frozen Peach posted:

My best friend started journaling a few months ago, and we started a friends' journal for the group of us to doodle and stuff in. It's convinced me to start on my own, and I'm determined to improve my handwriting. I need to slow down and make sure my handwriting is legible rather than just making GBS threads words onto paper as quick as possible.

We went to B&N the other day, and I found two journals to start with. I also ended up picking up a tarot deck because I've wanted to get into tarot for the longest time but never knew how to get started. So I'm just getting started with that. The Modern Witch Tarot Deck by Lisa Sterle jumped out at me and I just had to buy it. I love the artwork in it, while still being very traditionally "tarot" or at least what my mind pictures as tarot, it's very affirming and inclusive and I love it.

thanks for the suggestion! I read your post and decided to just pick up the same deck since it was on sale.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

HopperUK posted:

Nice!! There are some really nice tarot sets out there. Please show us if you feel like it when you've decorated some pages!

Yeah... I went in deeper than I expected I would, and already got two more decks <_<

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Xand_Man posted:

I don’t but if it’s the bulk of the folder/cover that bothers you, try Japanese brands. Kokuyo has a bunch - Slide binder, Smart Binder. Muji has one that’s similar to the smart binder but the cover fits even more closely to the paper. Muji also sells loose leaf notebooks that fit nicely in the binder.

Also, hi thread, I’m a long time goon and have way too much stationery. I’m currently in love with Hobonichis after I found an a6 English planner being sold for 70% off due to it already being the middle of February. The hype over tomoe river paper is real, and I’m glad I managed to experience writing on it before the change to the new paper.

I suck at bullet journaling (both the functional and decorative kind), but I like and use the symbol key mostly because I’ve memorised it after attempting to bullet journal multiple teams, and it’s really pretty useful.

Also I guess my tip for buying washi & stickers is that there are a lot of resellers on Amazon and Etsy and it’s cheaper to get them directly from aliexpress. If you’re in south east Asia, check Shopee, they have mostly the same sellers and it’s usually slightly cheaper then aliexpress.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Is this where I admit to being a lapsed member of the https://fieldnotesbrand.com cult? A current (and possibly only) member of the Tribe of the Bic Atlantis?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Failson posted:

Is this where I admit to being a lapsed member of the https://fieldnotesbrand.com cult? A current (and possibly only) member of the Tribe of the Bic Atlantis?

Welcome friend, there is no judgement here. Only “to-buy” lists, empty notebooks that I swear I will fill before I buy another, and debt.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Failson posted:

I really want to buy the USPS field notes sets but I need to fill my existing notebooks first... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

sb hermit posted:

I really want to buy the USPS field notes sets but I need to fill my existing notebooks first... :smith:

who told you that vapid lie?