Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

In 2021 I had a grand vision to get better at noticing the passage of time by writing it down every time A Thing Happened. I sort of mixed together personal items, news items, and the Meme Of The Day. If it was a thing that was all I thought about that day, it went in the journal. If there wasn't anything, I defaulted to what felt like the biggest headline.

I fell off it completely by July because I got hyperfocused on writing a webnovel (lmfao). Part of the problem was my dumbass little collages. They took too long, I had to get on a computer and print a bunch of stuff, I'd procrastinate and then not do it. So this year I bought a bluetooth thermal printer and a few rolls of sticker paper.

It only does black and white, but it greatly simplifies the process.

I also designed a sticker for myself as a reading tracker.

So far the only thing I've been able to use to write on the stickers without smearing is permanent marker. It's a downside but I can't draw or do cute spreads so making stickers is about where I'm at. I also have what I call The List, which isn't organized in any way and isn't even dated, it's just a constant rolling list of poo poo I want to write down. I like an A6 notebook because I have a knockoff Hobonichi Techo wallet that holds an A6 perfectly, letting my keep my weird book of stickers on me at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

It was, time really flies. Even without the full year, going back and looking at the months I actually filled out is a wild ride of "I forgot that happened" and "how was that a year ago, that feels like last week" and "oh no, foreshadowing".

The printer I got is the Phomemo M02, but I often regret not paying the extra for the higher resolution printer. I have to print larger than I'd like for text to come out legibly, which takes up valuable sticker space.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

The ability to print sickos stickers on demand was well worth the price of admission, tbqh.

So far I've tried colored pencils (super faint), Papermate felt-tip pens (smudged no matter how long I waited), and Sharpies (takes a minute to dry but is fine after that). I haven't even bothered trying with my fountain pens, I feel like those would smudge for sure if even a regular felt-tip marker isn't cutting it. I don't know if they sell a version of the sticker paper that isn't glossy/actively resistant to being inked. Considering the texture of most receipts, it might just be an inherent property of thermal printing.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Your washi tape is So. Good. I am jealous. :swoon:

I've thought about getting an Instax printer or similar, printing things out with The Big Printer was a pain but I do miss having actual color and higher resolution. Part of it was that I always felt obligated to wait until I had enough images to fill up a US Letter-sized page to minimize waste, whereas with the little printer I can just print any little thing that strikes my fancy one at a time.

I actually also have a small handheld printer that could work in theory, but it ran out of blue for some mysterious reason and getting it to print correctly is a chore anyway. Maybe I'll give it another go, though. It might save some of the thickness these many, many stickers are adding.

God. Why do I own so many novelty printers.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I've just been using Phomemo's refills, but I think anything that comes in a roll with a width of 50mm or less would work. I just haven't found any in the right size that are cheaper than the 'official' ones. Most alternate brands seem to come in 57mm, so maybe I would have been better off getting the PeriPage since it also has the benefit of looking like a bear :v:

Even the versions of the Phomemo that don't come with bundled paper come with a small roll, which is enough to get a feel for it. I waited to buy more because if I was just going to play with it once and put it in a drawer I didn't need more than what came with it for that.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

There's a weird thing where bullet journals were intended to offer more flexibility than a planner, but then so many people made big elaborate spreads that they lost all that flexibility and now some folks are selling printable spreads which are. Fundamentally indistinguishable from a planner. Aside from maybe a more artsy aesthetic, or a focus on things that wouldn't necessarily show up in a traditional planner (book and habit trackers, etc).

But I say that as someone who uses printable planner pages for work, and a bullet journal for my personal life, because they serve very different functions in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Common alternatives to binders I've seen are discbound planners (I use one of these) and those little... six ring ones? I feel like they're ripping off a specific planner. Yeah I just looked it up and it's Filofax. There's a ton of A6 six-ring planner covers out there, I experimented with one for a little while but I found a half-letter discbound planner worked best for my printable needs.