Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ephphatha posted:

I've seen Field notes recommended a lot in the fountain pen thread but never tried them myself, been meaning to give them a shot though since they offer a range of pocket-sized pads in various designs and also manage to be relatively cheap compared to other brands.

Field notes are nice. I have one for fountain pen use and the paper is nice enough to write both sides on a page. Keep in mind that they are meant to be very thin. It says "48 pages" but the book has 24 sheets, implying that you need to write on both sides. So you'll want to use a relatively finer nib that you're still comfortable with, rather than one that dumps ink all over a page and tends to stain the page beneath it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I am not left handed, but I find Noodler's bernanke blue to be a very good quick drying ink.

The reason behind the name is very :rolleyes: but if you pair it with a fountain pen with a nib on the finer end (see tips in the above post by Heath) then it should work quite well.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Everett False posted:

So far the only thing I've been able to use to write on the stickers without smearing is permanent marker.

Are you using fountain pen ink? Do you want some possible suggestions on what ink to use that could stick on the stickers?

I might get that printer and put :sickos: on the reverse side of every page where I write about schadenfreude.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Everett False posted:

The ability to print sickos stickers on demand was well worth the price of admission, tbqh.

So far I've tried colored pencils (super faint), Papermate felt-tip pens (smudged no matter how long I waited), and Sharpies (takes a minute to dry but is fine after that). I haven't even bothered trying with my fountain pens, I feel like those would smudge for sure if even a regular felt-tip marker isn't cutting it. I don't know if they sell a version of the sticker paper that isn't glossy/actively resistant to being inked. Considering the texture of most receipts, it might just be an inherent property of thermal printing.

I have at least 30 different inks with varying properties. I'll try to get the printer and see if I can write on any without smudging. I usually have good luck with Noodler's Kung Te-cheng but I make no guarantees.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

froglet posted:

I keep trying not to sink too much money into this obsession

:smith:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Everett False posted:

The ability to print sickos stickers on demand was well worth the price of admission, tbqh.

So far I've tried colored pencils (super faint), Papermate felt-tip pens (smudged no matter how long I waited), and Sharpies (takes a minute to dry but is fine after that). I haven't even bothered trying with my fountain pens, I feel like those would smudge for sure if even a regular felt-tip marker isn't cutting it. I don't know if they sell a version of the sticker paper that isn't glossy/actively resistant to being inked. Considering the texture of most receipts, it might just be an inherent property of thermal printing.

sb hermit posted:

I have at least 30 different inks with varying properties. I'll try to get the printer and see if I can write on any without smudging. I usually have good luck with Noodler's Kung Te-cheng but I make no guarantees.

I'm using the paper that comes with the printer and here's an initial finding:

• Noodler's Kung te-cheng works perfectly, even with water brushed on it
  • Noodler's Rattler Red dried well but isn't water resistant so it smeared with water applied
  • Noodler's heart of darkness still smeared after drying, even without water

An ink that works on multiple surfaces, like Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng, should probably work for these stickers. (It's also a good ink for uncooperative card stock).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Chaosqueen posted:

Hi, I loved to find a post about bullet journaling here. This is my first post I'm writing on SA. My boyfriend has been insisting since we got to know each other to read and write here instead of Facebook. :cheeky:

I've been using Bullet Journals for about two years and I love it. As most of you I also spend too much money for accessories. (I've loved stationery for my entire life.)

Once a month it's a great creative hobby. Most parts of the Journal I prepare for the entire month. For the remainder of the time it's a very valuable tool to organize my life and not to forget so many to-dos.

Here are some pages I made.

:syoon: You have such beautiful handwriting!

I have yet to organize my life to that extent but it feels like something I should be eventually gravitating towards. I've heard of aspects of other bullet journals in your pictures but it's wonderful to see it in practice. Particularly the key and the trackers.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 17, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nice! This remains the single biggest draw for me to learn how to draw or doodle so that I can fill up my notebooks.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

Have you considered drawing in your notebook to learn? Drawing is very much a learned skill that improves with practice so the only way to get good enough to draw in your notebook is do the work of drawing in your notebook. Daily 15 mins is enough.

yes, it's something I've considered and then dropped the idea completely because I'm too embarrassed

but really, it's one of the pandemic things I've meant to try to learn so I have a bunch of books but I turned out to not have any time

I just gotta read the books and practice

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

and if you ask me if I was able to complete any of my other new year's resolutions, I'm going to pretend I didn't see it

except for the one about getting more ink

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

froglet posted:

I kinda want to go from A5 to B5 to give my sinister goblin writing hand (I'm a lefty) more space to smudge. I find writing can be a bit awkward when I'm at the very beginning/very end of a journal and I'm trying to scribble stuff down while out and about (most of my last journal was filled in when I wasn't home). However, the sizing means that's probably not super practical if I want to bring my journal with me places, especially because I adore the 160gsm paper of my Archer and Olive journals, and those things are heavy.

Do you use fountain pens? If so, what kind of ink do you use?

I'm trying to find an alternative to Noodler's bernanke blue.

quote:

Speaking of new journals... I started a new journal recently, I could share the stuff I've drawn in it soon. Though I'm no accomplished artist like many here, it's still fun to do! :shobon:

I'm gonna see if I can start doodling this year to improve my artistry. Hopefully it goes somewhere...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

froglet posted:

I have one fountain pen, it's a Platinum Preppy Blue Black one, and... I got it coz it wasn't particularly expensive, but the nib is thicker than I expected (which isn't a bad thing given my various lefty writing peculiarities), but the ink colour isn't my fave and on my journal the blue-grey doesn't look great and that + how thick the nib is means I can't fit in as many words and don't like how it looks so much. I personally prefer a more Royal Blue colour, my usual journalling pen is a bright blue rollerball needlepoint (I like the needlepoint pens coz they discourage me from pressing too hard on the paper/at too harsh an angle).

Also, if anyone here's a lefty and wanting to try brush lettering/hand lettering but are daunted by fountain pens - I cannot recommend Pentel Sign Pens enough. They are far cheaper and have a flexible tip, which makes them way more forgiving than brush markers. It means you won't destroy them as quickly if you've got any funny writing quirks, and you don't feel too bereft if you mush the tip over time since it won't happen within 15 minutes of using it.

They also have an excellent colour range and you can buy singles, which is important if you're a chaos goblin like me who likes colour and occasionally loses/destroys individual pens. I have the Brush Ups set in primary colours, and while I kinda covet the pastels set, I didn't think I'd use them enough*, so I bought the blue from the pastel set by itself coz it better matches my preferences to the blue in my existing set.

* I may still get the pastels. I tell myself this is a cheaper hobby than drugs or alcohol. :classiclol:

Ah. Well, if you decide to journal with a fountain pen, please let us know what ink you use.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pixelante posted:

I think you could use the ink Swatch to find what you're after.

I'm looking for anecdotes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

froglet posted:

Hahah. Ahahaha. Haaaah.

Guess who impulse-bought a Lamy Safari while on holiday today... :v:

While testing the nibs on my journal at the store, one of the sales staff asked "Is that an Archer & Olive journal?"

Why yes, yes it is, for this is one of my obsessions.

What size nib? And will you be able to test it anytime soon?

In the fountain pen thread, I think people generally really love the safari but the quality control is all over the place. Fingers crossed that you have a good one!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Unless, of course, the pen you tested at the store is what you took home.

In which case... did you pick up any inks at the store?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

That German reseller has an amazing selection. But I have enough notebooks already! What to do thread, help me out?

Do what your heart tells you.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

Well, I checked out the entire website and they do not carry the 160gsm blank books, only a small selection is 68gsm tomoe river blank and everything else is lined or dotted. Can't blame them for keeping a reasonable inventory and it saves me some money.

I have a ton of journals, but none with nice paper, I think. I'll have to try a 160gsm sometime.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Frozen Peach posted:

My best friend started journaling a few months ago, and we started a friends' journal for the group of us to doodle and stuff in. It's convinced me to start on my own, and I'm determined to improve my handwriting. I need to slow down and make sure my handwriting is legible rather than just making GBS threads words onto paper as quick as possible.

We went to B&N the other day, and I found two journals to start with. I also ended up picking up a tarot deck because I've wanted to get into tarot for the longest time but never knew how to get started. So I'm just getting started with that. The Modern Witch Tarot Deck by Lisa Sterle jumped out at me and I just had to buy it. I love the artwork in it, while still being very traditionally "tarot" or at least what my mind pictures as tarot, it's very affirming and inclusive and I love it.

thanks for the suggestion! I read your post and decided to just pick up the same deck since it was on sale.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Failson posted:

Is this where I admit to being a lapsed member of the https://fieldnotesbrand.com cult? A current (and possibly only) member of the Tribe of the Bic Atlantis?

I really want to buy the USPS field notes sets but I need to fill my existing notebooks first... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

who told you that vapid lie?

:hmmyes: