Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So, Twitter isn't my bag but I figured this thread might love this drama being stirred up by Northern Guard regarding the swears gently caress and poo poo.

Disclaimer: I recently joined the NGS Merch team, so my opinion is not neutral here.

Basically, DCFC FO said NGS, no more swears on attire or in chants, for real this time.

https://twitter.com/DetroitCityFC/status/1522301687871979523?t=B8vI90Px78yvV2ARTfYzGQ&s=19

DCFC FO doubling down today
https://twitter.com/DetroitCityFC/status/1522667516467761156?t=7SjMiyHfn0A94wEC9MfuVQ&s=19

NGS Response, click through to their account for more. There's a loving LOT there.

https://twitter.com/NGSDetroit/status/1522686358292205569?t=GOFZ2POIL_HMFZJ69BJrkg&s=19
https://twitter.com/NGSDetroit/status/1522633563660857345?t=FGH_z56kbfkbn1UJGvFpNA&s=19

My opinion is that Detroit City FC wouldn't be poo poo without NGS and as USL's most visible SG, why the gently caress would want to change a controversial yet popular thing that doesn't do anything that would get you fines? Games are streamed via ESPN+, local could be on a short delay. Just really loving obnoxious that even though pretty much of all of course non stop always, it's a big ol no no because of kids or something idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Seems obnoxiously tryhard for no obvious benefit imo

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sticksy posted:

I mean, there is precedent for US Soccer trying to tell SGs how to support their teams and NGS feels like it's better to fight it now than when we're being told to take down our trans pride flag 🤷‍♂️

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sticksy posted:

eh that's about the general response i assume this all is gonna get outside of dcfc circles and i kinda get why. but it's less about the specific words and more about usl and/or ussf on one hand plainly capitalizing on the supporter culture surrounding dcfc and then also feeling like they have to stick their noses in from afar for stupid reasons. ussf has an entire fascism problem in mls they could use their considerable money and power to affect rather than finding a place to grind a niche axe.

the ussf bit is also not just an ngs motivation. the club was ready to start a pro league outside of ussf's purview until insurance made that fall apart. nisa was under ussf's purview but talked a big game about doing what it could to circumvent the difficulties of transitioning from amateur to pro, wanted to build their own pyramid, etc. which then fell apart because the people backing it Knew Better and also didn't know anything. the usl move was more or less out of necessity, and the hope was/is to attempt to affect change from the inside.

ngs is still fully independent from the club, has no official supporter role or dues, and that's increasingly uncommon when it comes to professional american soccer. that independence has served it well and allowed them to be outspoken about meaningful causes that have prompted relatively significant feuds with leagues and offices in other cities/leagues.
it's easy to see it as a trivial thing (and to an extent i'm sure it is, i don't think this is going to kill the club or anything), but i think it's entirely valid to see it as meddling with a group that's aimed to build a brand that allows them to use an outsized voice effectively to ultimately help their local community, and actions that actively or tacitly threaten the continued ability to do that are seen as meaningful.

and before it comes up, plenty of supporters knew that these sorts of things would likely come with a jump to usl, and also there is a wide range of opinions from various folks.

e: personally, i'm guessing there'll ultimately be a continued emphasis on rules existing but the enforcement will be a little lax. my own line in the sand is if they start coming for the political messaging.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 7, 2022

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Cavalry went up to Edmonton for a match tonight, and the only cheering i heard on the broadcast came from the away supporters lol.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I think the obvious answer is to give a free FCK USSF shirt to everyone in the supporters section. Basically force them to kick out the entire Northern Guard and see what happens.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aggro posted:

I think the obvious answer is to give a free FCK USSF shirt to everyone in the supporters section. Basically force them to kick out the entire Northern Guard and see what happens.

know anyone who can print 2000 shirts in four days?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

anyway, aside from all that nonsense, the recently resurrected USL W League (technically different because it is not called W-League but whatever) kicked off last night and follows today with another two (very Michigan-centric) matches with DCFC vs Kalamazoo FC and AFC Ann Arbor vs Flint City Bucks. seems like it's an NPSL-esque structure in that there's a billion teams (44) broken down into a couple regions.
if anyone's interested, the DCFC stream should be similar in production to their USLC ESPN broadcasts at least. not sure what flint's streaming situation is.

USL Super League is still slated for next year, i'm hoping it still happens? sorta think they might wanna rethink the name for SEO purposes...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

There are loads of organizations around the soccering country that have issues with protecting or covering up for total assholes in their midst and these people are throwing a massive hissy fit toward theirs because now they can't wear stuff that says gently caress on it.

I don't know if there's any more that needs to be said.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

A beautiful description of what's happening in a lot better words than I could come up with

Thanks man, appreciate this!!!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NGSDetroit/status/1523987360479952899

DCFC vs Louisville City FC tonight at 7:30pm, Round of 32 for the US Open Cup! NGS will be doing something to speak out about the censorship we're experiencing, so if that interests you I'd tune in. Otherwise it's gonna be a great game because Louisville is undefeated this season in USL-C and DCFC has been doing excellent in their USOC run

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

https://twitter.com/NGSDetroit/status/1523987360479952899

DCFC vs Louisville City FC tonight at 7:30pm, Round of 32 for the US Open Cup! NGS will be doing something to speak out about the censorship we're experiencing, so if that interests you I'd tune in. Otherwise it's gonna be a great game because Louisville is undefeated this season in USL-C and DCFC has been doing excellent in their USOC run
Would think that Detroit should be favorites but IIRC Louisville's made a couple of long Open Cup runs themselves.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

Would think that Detroit should be favorites but IIRC Louisville's made a couple of long Open Cup runs themselves.

Correct, and they have been on FIRE this year. I don't know who the odds are favoring but it's going to be WONDERFUL soccer match regardless of whether you care about NGS or not

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

Correct, and they have been on FIRE this year. I don't know who the odds are favoring but it's going to be WONDERFUL soccer match regardless of whether you care about NGS or not
At this point, it feels like Louisville is so well run that they're a little too good for USL-C level but if you gave them a bigger stadium they'd still get absolutely shithoused in MLS because of the comparative worth of their ownership group.

They've basically been one of the best teams in the Eastern half of D2 since maybe their very first pro season.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Louisville do own and are the best, but they will play the kids tonight and it will be unnecessarily stressful. Enjoy, neutrals.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Detroit's been really banged up with an incredibly shallow roster... they apparently have a whopping four on the bench tonight. they also weirdly got throttled by Tulsa on Saturday, and their typical strength (defense) looked downright porous. not their night then, hopefully a better showing tonight.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

sleepwalkers posted:

Detroit's been really banged up with an incredibly shallow roster... they apparently have a whopping four on the bench tonight. they also weirdly got throttled by Tulsa on Saturday, and their typical strength (defense) looked downright porous. not their night then, hopefully a better showing tonight.

Our best defender is out for a bit and the recent acquisitions aren’t eligible to play in Open Cup matches.

One of the four on the bench is our backup keeper too, so it’s basically three subs. We played the first 90 without subbing.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aggro posted:

Our best defender is out for a bit and the recent acquisitions aren’t eligible to play in Open Cup matches.

One of the four on the bench is our backup keeper too, so it’s basically three subs. We played the first 90 without subbing.

yeah, i'm hoping lewis isn't out for too long, i guess we'll see. we could use his legs for at least one of the next three upcoming...
disappointing result, i tend to believe if this was a healthy squad, they would've been able to get the win in regulation, but oh well. time to rest and get healthy for the rest of the season.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I miss being able to go to MLS matches, but it's nice watching the Riverhounds be able to win matches unlike the Rapids.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Star Man posted:

I miss being able to go to MLS matches, but it's nice watching the Riverhounds be able to win matches unlike the Rapids.
They have a nice little stadium too.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

yeah, i'm hoping lewis isn't out for too long, i guess we'll see. we could use his legs for at least one of the next three upcoming...
disappointing result, i tend to believe if this was a healthy squad, they would've been able to get the win in regulation, but oh well. time to rest and get healthy for the rest of the season.

Overall I'm loving happy to watch our team, minus two cup tied players and all of the injuries, STILL be able to hang with the best team in the league and take that poo poo to PKs. Someone in NGS Discord went through our PK results and... yeah, that's a huge weakness for us. Overall though, super loving proud of my team for going incredibly hard for a full 120' and giving me one of the best matches of the year. Also I would die for Maxi, he's my fav.

Also if anyone who's out of state is ever interested in a gently caress Oh*o or FCK MLS shirt, let me know! All sales go directly into the NGS merch/smoke fund and any excesses get donated to a local LGBTQIA+ organization.

Here's the pre-match speech during the march
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wm5ur01xGQ

Louisville fans were loving awesome, I loved them a lot. The only other supporters I really enjoyed were the Riverhounds crew, I have a "I'VE GOT A FEELING" scarf from an exchange with them.
https://twitter.com/nolanbianchi/status/1524186442033156096?s=21&t=TexWTxd0csqu2r1E_12uew

First day in the books working merch for NGS too, what a day to learn that poo poo!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nolanbianchi/status/1524171236691042305

https://twitter.com/nolanbianchi/status/1524172302451159041?s=20&t=Me9Q5gDXr9D-Oyi1s2_J-g

Here's footage of the protest. I actually met the reporter who took that video and wrote this article, nice dude who's trying to get more resources to cover us.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...own/9724686002/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Crazy Ted posted:

They have a nice little stadium too.

It sure fuckin is

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bagmonkey posted:

Someone in NGS Discord went through our PK results and... yeah, that's a huge weakness for us.

I bet we have interacted in there at some point! My Discord profile pic is the same as my avatar here.
Also yeah, vs Bucks in the Open Cup back in 2017(??) is the one time I can remember DCFC doing well. Genuinely might be the only time I can remember them coming out on top since I started going to matches in 2014.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

I bet we have interacted in there at some point! My Discord profile pic is the same as my avatar here.
Also yeah, vs Bucks in the Open Cup back in 2017(??) is the one time I can remember DCFC doing well. Genuinely might be the only time I can remember them coming out on top since I started going to matches in 2014.

We just so rarely ever have to do PKs, we're not a dirty team, we don't tend to draw fouls, etc. Regardless, that game was one of the books. Also, let's see if we can link up at the next match you go to!

In next match news, going to the DCFC Women's side tonight for the 10th anniversary date party for DCFC. Is it cool is we talk about USLW soccer here since it's lower division soccer anywho? I'm excited to go to my first game, I missed all of the home matches last season and I feel the need to try to at least go 50/50 to show the women's team some support

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

In next match news, going to the DCFC Women's side tonight for the 10th anniversary date party for DCFC. Is it cool is we talk about USLW soccer here since it's lower division soccer anywho? I'm excited to go to my first game, I missed all of the home matches last season and I feel the need to try to at least go 50/50 to show the women's team some support

I got to go to the inaugural USLW game last week to see Indy 11 vs Kings Hammer, it was a lot more packed than I expected it to be (but with all the kids there I'm betting they gave a ton of tickets to youth teams). I will definitely try to get out to the rest of the home games this season as well.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

One of the dudes from the Men's side came and capo'd for the women's side! It was really sparse even though it was the 10 year celebration but God drat I had a really fun and memorable night!

Quoting myself for ease of posting. Guy taking the selfie is Michael Bryant from our Men's side. I'm just to the left of his head with the giant beard. Women's match attendance was.... sparse, but I'm going to be working with NGS on getting a plan together to push some energy towards the women's side. There are tons of people who aren't even aware we have a women's side and if NGS truly believes that we're such a critical part of the match day experience, we gotta change that and drive attendance for our women's side too.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd like to thank Fox Sports for airing CanPL regularly on FS2.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

Living my best life

More quoting myself, apparently I am a backup capo now, AMA

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ayyy congrats. i've gotta grab my snare one of these matches and head back up with the drums. capoing and drumming are a good time, nice way to get to know people tbh.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

ayyy congrats. i've gotta grab my snare one of these matches and head back up with the drums. capoing and drumming are a good time, nice way to get to know people tbh.

Merch has been that way, too. It's been really awesome to finally put names to faces after 7+ years of soccer with DCFC. I absolutely recommend that if you're the type of person who wants to make friends but doesn't know where/how, your local SG is a loving wonderful way to branch out and practice social skills.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Really impressed by the production quality the league has put out

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pittsburgh is hosting Detroit tonight. It is going to be a fuckin shitshow

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
watching rowdies-louisville and they just said someone got a “World of Beer™️” yellow card, which is some next level bullshit

no, I’m not just mad that we’re losing to them again

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Detroit City FC will be making their ESPN DEBUT!!! on June 18th at 12pm EST. It's gonna be a rowdy good time my friends!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DevonKerr9/status/1536707369819947011

Idk what time Late Morning is but it better not be during my lunch time therapy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

bagmonkey posted:

https://twitter.com/DevonKerr9/status/1536707369819947011

Idk what time Late Morning is but it better not be during my lunch time therapy.

I'm guessing the Apple TV announcement from MLS has made the Championship reconsider making their announcement today.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I'm guessing the Apple TV announcement from MLS has made the Championship reconsider making their announcement today.

No, it's just that the "massive news" wasn't all that massive. The dude was super hyped about a transfer, that's it. https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4652281/us-youth-international-kobi-henry-signs-for-ligue-1-club-reims

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
DCFC vs El Paso is on ESPN today! Please watch if you can, would love to see gangbusters viewer numbers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bagmonkey posted:

DCFC vs El Paso is on ESPN today! Please watch if you can, would love to see gangbusters viewer numbers!

I’m just to the left of the drums, atmosphere kicks rear end, weather kicks rear end, this is a hell of a match day