Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
El Paso keeper made an absolutely outrageous save in the 83rd minute, shortly after DCFC hit a curling shot from the outside the box that struck the crossbar. Great game though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

xK1 posted:

No, it's just that the "massive news" wasn't all that massive. The dude was super hyped about a transfer, that's it. https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4652281/us-youth-international-kobi-henry-signs-for-ligue-1-club-reims

tbf that's a USL record transfer fee, also lol that both Orlando and Miami let him slip by.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MLS organizations have always seemed to be mostly allergic to making transfers deals with D2 and D3 teams.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Crazy Ted posted:

MLS organizations have always seemed to be mostly allergic to making transfers deals with D2 and D3 teams.

Other way around, they had him in their youth programs first.

Oops.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Moktaro posted:

Other way around, they had him in their youth programs first.

Oops.
I know that, but once such players leave for independent D2/D3 teams it's like they're diseased to most of the MLS front offices.

Would it really surprise anyone here that Miami had a great young talent on their hands and just let him go for nothing?

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I can't make it but I hope they get it.

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/status/1541116209986297857

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

Ya boi bagmo in the bottom right with the megaphone. That's my dude Carlos behind me telling the ref to get hosed

I did the capo'ing again, it was loving great. If you go to a DCFC match, there's a solid chance I'll be near mid field giving one of my buddies a break.

How's everyone elses lower league teams doing? Anyone been to a match recently?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

I did the capo'ing again, it was loving great. If you go to a DCFC match, there's a solid chance I'll be near mid field giving one of my buddies a break.

How's everyone elses lower league teams doing? Anyone been to a match recently?

If you were right at midfield rocking a white WE WILL NOT GO BACK t shirt then hell yea dude I was right there with you watching DCFC shoot the ball 20 times but only on frame like, twice

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Aggro posted:

If you were right at midfield rocking a white WE WILL NOT GO BACK t shirt then hell yea dude I was right there with you watching DCFC shoot the ball 20 times but only on frame like, twice

I actually guest capoed near the dudes in the white shirts! I'm still getting my bearings on but hoping to capo a full match by end of the season. The game was.... frustrating to say the least. Especially with Stephen Carroll's injury, still no update on that :(

edit - I was wearing my Smoke Smell and Darkness shirtly, wasn't expecting to capo lol

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Was at the Hartford Athletic vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies match on Saturday in Hartford.

Rather scrappy match, lots of yellow cards.

Rowdies up 1-0 at the half, then down 2-1 in the second half, before getting a PK, scoring, losing a player to a red card, and then getting a second PK and a second goal in the last moments of stoppage time, to win 2-3. It's like the Rowdies got that red card and looked certain to win after that, which is not what typically happens. Nice come from behind fight from the Rowdies.

Lots of angry Hartfordians at the final whistle; someone threw a drink on one of the referees exiting through the tunnel.

Angry guy yelling at Rowdies supporter next to me that Rowdies coach Neill Collins was swearing; not sure how he could tell with Neill Collins' thick Scottish accent, can't tell what he's saying half the time anyway. And who cares if a coach swears or not anyway.

Quite a few Rowdies fans were in attendance, a couple of dozen at least judging from people wearing green and yellow hoops, and not travelling fans I'm sure for the most part, but "locals" (I had to drive 1 hour 45 minutes one way to get there); Tampa Bay Rowdies have built up a geographically widespread fanbase over the years, thanks in part to their history going back to 1975. Also Jake LaCava (on loan from NY Red Bulls) has a lot of family and friends in the Hartford area so that might be a factor.

Nice little stadium in Hartford, good crowd.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
lol

https://twitter.com/onesoccer/status/1546215044618354688

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

well, it's 8 million views on a CPL video

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Was at the game and I was so completely confused about what went on. Akio is a good player - really not sure what he was thinking there though.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

:monocle:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

poo poo's wild

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Came here to post that

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Aribim Pepple of Cavalry is rumoured to be a transfer to Luton Town. What's crazy tho is Akio's botch of the century got him a transfer to the Scottish Premiership.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Stiev Awt posted:

Aribim Pepple of Cavalry is rumoured to be a transfer to Luton Town. What's crazy tho is Akio's botch of the century got him a transfer to the Scottish Premiership.
Well he showed that he's good at clearing the ball from off the line so maybe they'll make him a defender.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i guess they've grown in presence a bit in the last couple years but it is still VERY WEIRD to me that we have multiple folks who regularly attend dcfc matches on this dead gay forum
feel like i should actually meet whoever else goes at some point?

also tonight's match has sold out, i don't really know if there's a particular reason why other than it's nice out and there was a brief string of away matches? but i will be there!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

i guess they've grown in presence a bit in the last couple years but it is still VERY WEIRD to me that we have multiple folks who regularly attend dcfc matches on this dead gay forum
feel like i should actually meet whoever else goes at some point?

also tonight's match has sold out, i don't really know if there's a particular reason why other than it's nice out and there was a brief string of away matches? but i will be there!

I was gonna capo but the refs were so lovely my buddy wanted to stay up so he could yell at em. Glad we walked away with a point, gonna be rewatching the match today since I missed some of the first half action.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NISALeague/status/1550922239008092160?s=20&t=hFwKzL2WTcX4IO_lhYeZWA

Also this happened lol I can't loving wait until we play them in the early rounds of the USOC.

(for those not in the know, Metro Detroit already has a vanity-project NISA team, the Michigan Stars owned by George Juncaj of Smoke, Smell and Darkness fame)

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

lol why the gently caress does Detroit need another minor league soccer team

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

genuinely thought that was a supporter troll rather than an actual team

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies fan favorite Juan Tejada traded to Indy Eleven for midfielder Nicky Law last Thursday.

Tejada hasn't gotten a lot of playing time with the Rowdies so good move for him; a lot of Rowdies fans not happy though.

After a rough stretch in April, Rowdies have been on a long non-losing streak and slowly climbing the Eastern Conference table.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Aggro posted:

lol why the gently caress does Detroit need another minor league soccer team

Idk and neither does anyone else lol The dude who owns Gold Star Sports apparently also owns Gold Star Mortgage and maybe some other companies? Regardless, he bought FC Santa Coloma which is apparently in Andorra's top division, the Primera Divisió. Which from my understanding is like D3/D4 for European soccer at best. Here's a link to his the money guys business portfolio site, which definitely leads me to believe this is another "rich guy loves soccer" adventure but also based on his business experience, I expect it to go better than George Juncaj's Sharta Dome in picturesque Washington Township, Michigan!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Don't know if this counts as lower league but the Tampa Bay Strikers of the National Indoor Soccer League have hired former NFL kicker Martin Grammatica as their manager.

Whatever you gotta do to get attention...

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Don't know if this counts as lower league but the Tampa Bay Strikers of the National Indoor Soccer League have hired former NFL kicker Martin Grammatica as their manager.

They are playing at USF's Yuengling Center (formerly the Sun Dome) which when originally built in the 1970s the Rowdies had hoped to use for indoor soccer but apparently it wasn't suitable so they continued to use the Bayfront Center. I guess the current Yuengling Center can be used for indoor soccer after it was rebuilt?

Listening to the Unused Substitutes podcast apparently the owner behind Tampa Bay Strikers is a former co-owner of Florida Tropics but left because the other owner(s) didn't want to move the team from Lakeland to Tampa(?). I doubt there's a market for a second indoor soccer team in the area but whatever.

Rowdies are getting a new training facility in Tampa; this is on the site of the "Tomato Patch" SSS that was proposed back in 2008 but got shot down by NIMBYs; it was then built as a soccer facility for Tampa Bay United youth soccer club which is a youth soccer affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rowdies. This will be a much larger and better equipped facility than the training field that the Rowdies have been using on the USF-St. Pete campus near Al Lang stadium in St. Petersburg.

quote:

Rowdies Secure New Primary Training Complex in Tampa

Tampa Training Complex will be Primary Training Ground for First Team and Home to Rowdies Youth Programs

https://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2022/07/25/rowdies-secure-new-primary-training-complex-in-tampa/

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – The Tampa Bay Rowdies announced today that the club has signed a multi-year agreement to take over as the primary tenant of the soccer complex located at Waters Avenue and Benjamin Road in Tampa, FL. The complex, which includes two natural grass fields and one FIFA-approved artificial turf field, will serve as the primary training location for the Rowdies starting January 1, 2023.

“To be able to give the players an enhanced training environment is exciting,” said Rowdies Head Coach Neill Collins. “It’s fantastic for players to come in and have a home base with top quality fields, and a place we can really make our own.”

The training complex, located at 8108 Benjamin Rd in Tampa, is five miles away from Tampa International Airport and conveniently accessible from the Veterans Expressway. David Laxer, member of a previous Rowdies ownership group and current owner of the soccer complex, originally envisioned the Rowdies occupying the site when the club was resurrected in 2008.

“As a past steward and owner of the Tampa Bay Rowdies it was always my vision for the club to have a first-class training facility,” said Laxer. “Although it has been a winding path for the Rowdies to arrive here, it brings great pride and pleasure for my family and myself to welcome the Tampa Bay Rowdies to their new training home.”

As part of the agreement, the Rowdies will make a six-figure investment in the complex. The club will replace the two grass fields and create a dedicated space on the property for goalkeeper training. In addition, upgrades will also be made to the on-site indoor facility offering a state of the art gym, treatment rooms, and locker rooms to help players perform and recover more quickly. The facility will also include full-time office space for the Rowdies technical staff and a multimedia room for video and scouting sessions.

“As a club, we are grateful for the overwhelming support that we have felt from our ownership,” said Collins. “People always quantify support with the financials, but the actual support, faith and autonomy they’ve given us is equally as important. I think this investment is a big statement about what kind of club we want to be. It’s about more than just winning on the field. We want to keep building the club in the community. It’s really exciting, and we hope the fans are also excited by this investment.”

The Rowdies also look to create more opportunities to engage the community on both sides of the bay through this training relocation. The complex will help create opportunities for expanding existing youth programming like the successful Little Rowdies initiative and will also be instrumental in helping the organization grow its footprint as a soccer resource in the community.

“The Rowdies have excelled as one of the top teams in the USL Championship the last few years and with the addition of this new soccer complex, we believe this organization now has a terrific platform to achieve even more,” said Rowdies Vice-Chairman Brian Auld. “As ambitious as Neill and the players are to win, our entire organization is equally as hungry to establish even stronger roots as a community asset in Tampa Bay.”

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

imo lower league means any soccer that isn't MLS. Are indoor soccer games popular? I remember going to one for the Detroit team back when I was a kid, I thought it was cool as hell

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

imo lower league means any soccer that isn't MLS. Are indoor soccer games popular? I remember going to one for the Detroit team back when I was a kid, I thought it was cool as hell
I think it's a marginal draw now, which is a far cry from when I was a Tiny Ted and it wasn't unheard of for indoor teams to regularly draw in the five figures.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

I think it's a marginal draw now, which is a far cry from when I was a Tiny Ted and it wasn't unheard of for indoor teams to regularly draw in the five figures.

Which kills me because I think indoor soccer in places with rough seasons like here in MI should be a huge draw! I think there's a team in metro Detroit, I'm motivated to find out now

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

MISL helped bid up players' salaries in the early 1980s precisely at the moment that the NASL was imploding, which did not help. To make matters worse NASL tried to compete with MISL by playing a winter NASL indoor season in addition to the regular NASL spring/summer outdoor season, and it was just too much diversion of effort and money, at a time when NASL desperately needed to concentrate on the basics. And then the great video game crash and recession forced Warner Communications to cut ties with the Cosmos.

There was a line of thinking back then (1980s) that "Americans will never understand soccer; indoor soccer is more appealing to Americans." It was looking like instead of finally embracing soccer all we Americans had done was invent another new sport which no one else played. Fortunately this was not the case.

That line of thinking thankfully changed after MISL imploded and Americans started getting better access to international soccer in the 1990s with cable/satellite TV, and in the 2000s with broadband internet. Plus the popularity of the FIFA video games.

Completely different scene and mentality today from where soccer had been in the USA in the 1970s/1980s.

I don't see indoor soccer making a comeback, though perhaps it could get an internationally recognized set of rules set up with Mexico and others (futbol rapido) and eventually get it recognized by FIFA, similar to what happened with futsal and beach soccer. It looks like there was an earlier attempt to do this which is now defunct (below, Federación Internacional de Fútbol Rápido); with indoor soccer in general there have been many, many failures, false starts and restarts that never seem to go anywhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federaci%C3%B3n_Internacional_de_F%C3%BAtbol_R%C3%A1pido

I did enjoy Tampa Bay Rowdies indoor soccer at the Bayfront Center (RIP) in St. Petersburg in the 1970s and very briefly with the Golden Bay Earthquakes at the Oakland Arena in the early 1980s. But, like the 35 yard offside line and the shootout tie breaker, they aren't things I care to revisit.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Do over Ham posted:

MISL/Indoor Soccer words

Thanks a ton for sharing this! I was growing up on the tail end of the indoor soccer fad, right as youth soccer leagues were starting to become A Thing. Then there was like a whole 15-20 years where soccer was just kind of around but not a sport many people watched? Thankful that we actually have lots of soccer now. It's a lot more fun to watch than American football or basketball for me

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i believe there was (is?) an indoor team in the area (waza flo) and it is run by an absolute insane man. they were playing matches at the dcfc fieldhouse last i'd heard but i have no idea if they still exist.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more hootin’ and/or hollerin’ about Sacramento making the US Open Cup final. They beat Sporting KC when USMNT great Gyasi Zardes (lol) got loving stuffed on his PK attempt. They’re the only non-MLS team to make the final in 14 years.

https://twitter.com/uslchampionship/status/1552723062478495745?s=21&t=NkiyvSJRBAVYGy7BJdua6w

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, I DID make a U.S. Open Cup thread for hootin’ and/or hollerin’.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Oh my bad. I think I unbookmarked it after
DCFC was eliminated.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, I DID make a U.S. Open Cup thread for hootin’ and/or hollerin’.

Well poo poo I did not realize that, I will head over now!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Aggro posted:

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more hootin’ and/or hollerin’ about Sacramento making the US Open Cup final. They beat Sporting KC when USMNT great Gyasi Zardes (lol) got loving stuffed on his PK attempt. They’re the only non-MLS team to make the final in 14 years.

Wrong GZ. Graham Zusi got his PK saved there. Gyasi Zardes scored Columbus' only goal when Detroit bounced them.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Aggro posted:

As a Tampa Bay Rowdies fan I am obligated to wish Orlando City to lose; a non-MLS team winning would be cool too.

Rochester Raging Rhinos were last non-MLS team to win the US Open Cup in 1999. It has been 23 years.

Charleston Battery made the finals in 2008 but lost; that's 14 years.

Hopefully USL teams do this more often in future US Open Cups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

Thanks a ton for sharing this! I was growing up on the tail end of the indoor soccer fad, right as youth soccer leagues were starting to become A Thing. Then there was like a whole 15-20 years where soccer was just kind of around but not a sport many people watched? Thankful that we actually have lots of soccer now. It's a lot more fun to watch than American football or basketball for me

"I was growing up on the tail end of the indoor soccer fad, right as youth soccer leagues were starting to become A Thing."

I guess that would depend on where you lived; my experience was youth soccer leagues became a thing before indoor soccer became a thing.

Youth soccer leagues were starting to become a thing in the USA in the late 1960s (thanks to the 1966 World Cup being on American TV, which in turn inspired the original NASL), and on into the 1970s.

Where I grew up in Tampa, Florida, the youth soccer boom became huge in 1975 when the Tampa Bay Rowdies started playing.

Soccer had existed prior to that, to a small degree, in the Spanish and Italian and German communities in Tampa/West Tampa/Ybor City, amongst the cigar workers and their ethnic social clubs/mutual aid societies (many of which still exist and have rather fancy historic headquarter buildings), and soccer (both youth and adult) was growing slowly in Tampa in the early 1970s, but it became huge in 1975, amongst the suburban kids, and not just in the old ethnic communities.

Literally all my friends and myself were playing organized youth soccer, and playing street soccer in our free time, in the 1970s. It was something of a shock to me in 1980 when I moved to Northern California to an area where youth soccer was comparatively unpopular, and where professional soccer was completely ignored (the San Jose Earthquakes were over an hours drive away from where I lived and the San Francisco Bay Area sports media completely ignored the NASL and soccer in general).

So how popular youth soccer was, would depend on where you were, and when, I guess; it wasn't an entirely uniform phenomenon.

The spike in youth soccer in 1975 wasn't due just to Pele, either; the 1975 NASL season had already been underway for a month when Pele was signed by the Cosmos, but the Rowdies were already a success and youth soccer was already booming in Tampa, prior to Pele. Similar successes had happened the year before, in 1974, in Seattle and San Jose, for example, a year before Pele. Soccer was having an upsurge in popularity, both as a youth participation sport and as a spectator sport, in the early1970s, and the signing of Pele simply shifted that all up into a higher gear.

Speaking of Germans, across the bay in St. Petersburg, the St. Petersburg Kickers were founded by a German in 1957 and are the only Florida club to win the US Open Cup, in 1989.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Petersburg_Kickers

Sorry for the history lecture spergout. :eng101:

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 15, 2022