Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

New courses are online, let's goooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What's the best (cheapest) way to play the new tracks if I only care about playing them online? Base NSO? Fancy NSO? Some combination of NSO and buying the DLC directly?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think the new tracks are supposed to show up in the pool for all players when playing Worldwide/Regional, or when playing with friends who own the DLC, so base NSO should be okay... but since I have the DLC I can't quite test that.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, if you only care about online with randos, then I guess the answer is just don't buy it? Seeing as you can't really pick the track besides the 3 random ones?

E: I have played and got a DLC track as an option before I bought the DLC itself.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 23, 2022

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Booster tracks feel awesome. Paris is super cool. Ninja is the only one I'm having a little bit of funk with, need to practice it a bit to find the best driving lines. It's weird too, like every other track in Mario Kart is super drive-able and simple to pick up but with Ninja it feels like they turned that on its head. So much time bashing into walls & falling off the track

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah Ninja's a blast but the last few turns mess me up every time for some reason, I really gotta practice that one a bit. I played it online at 200cc last night and it was loving pandemonium

Speaking of 200cc, I'm usually pretty iffy on it but on Paris it's loving great, I did what felt like half a lap on a single drift, it was amazing. New courses are fun y'all

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m garbage at 200cc, it feels like wayyy too much engine power for me.

Then again maybe I’m just not used to it yet, I’m barely working my way through all the cups at 100cc right now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Xenomrph posted:

I’m garbage at 200cc, it feels like wayyy too much engine power for me.

Same, I've been playing around with that and I just fly all over the place. Back in my main playthrough, I trophied all the cups through 150cc but never made it through 200.

What is multiplayer anyway, 150? It always feels just a bit crazier than single player 150 but definitely not like 200, maybe it's just the difference from adding in real drivers.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah 200cc is pretty crazy, it's almost like a different game. Aside from being really familiar with the courses (which is obvious) the trick is learning how to brake while powersliding

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

200 is a little interesting, it's the only speed where you sometimes let go of the A button and maybe even brake. There's even some turns where not power sliding is the right thing to do, which feels real weird. But the game is definitely not tuned for 200, so it falls apart a bit.

Once you're out of the lower & slower ranks, online is 150 with a very occasional (5%?) 200 thrown in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

with a very occasional (5%?) 200 thrown in

Oh lol, maybe that explains why I sometimes feel like I'm just loving up even more than normal. NINTENDO :arghfist:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Something that’s impressive with the Mario Kart Home Circuit thing is it’s actually got 50cc/100cc/150cc settings for raved, which govern how fast the RC kart goes. It’s pretty neat how it conveys stuff like getting hit by shells or bounced around by obstacles, or hitting speed boosts like mushrooms, into the physical kart’s performance.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

You know I wasn't originally a big fan of ninja hideaway in MKT. I thought it's layout was too simplistic and didnt really play into the theme too well, but playing the course with a control scheme that doesn't suck really elevates it to another level. It's probably the standout track of this release IMO

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I kinda like how the Blooper becomes an absolutely devastating weapon on 200cc. On 150cc you can work around it with some focus and careful play, but on 200cc, you might as well panic.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
200cc is probably the closest we'll ever get to a new F-Zero so I cling to it tightly and celebrate it as best I can. Also it's extremely fun, I like that it requires a different skill set from racing at 150, except those first 2 turns on Rainbow Road are absolute hell if you don't have a perfect line.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Manoueverable posted:

200cc is probably the closest we'll ever get to a new F-Zero so I cling to it tightly and celebrate it as best I can. Also it's extremely fun, I like that it requires a different skill set from racing at 150, except those first 2 turns on Rainbow Road are absolute hell if you don't have a perfect line.

It's not only braking but boosting right before you're gonna fall off the course to change direction

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Forgot how good the Coconut Mall music is, both this one and the original are great. I keep voting for the track every time because I like the music so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGixf0luDs

Or I could pull this up and play other tracks I guess

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Had a moment today where I was trying to be a jerk and wound up being the hero :arghfist::dumb:

https://i.imgur.com/2yETd3U.mp4

(Although, karma did favor me enough to come in 1st for once :buddy:)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Probably the tiniest thing possible, but I wish the MK8D HUD kept track of elapsed times during racing and then displayed them along with the standings at the end so I could see how narrowly I won/lost to the racers closest to me

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I would love that & a fastest lap listing too. So many times I've paced out in lap 1 and been head & shoulders clear in first place just to get absolutely mollywhopped by items back into "the poo poo", as my wife and I affectionately call it. That area where you're stuck between 3rd-8th place and can't escape the quagmire because it's all bullshit all the time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One thing I really don't like about MK8 is how the pause menu setup makes it easy to enable smart steering/tilt steering/auto accelerate by accident. I just had two online races in a row where it hosed me over, like suddenly realizing smart steering was on when it yanked me away from a shortcut, then comically flailing to turn it off but accidentally turning tilt steering on instead and veering off course enough that I just ended up dropping out. I hate it! :arghfist:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

One thing I really don't like about MK8 is how the pause menu setup makes it easy to enable smart steering/tilt steering/auto accelerate by accident. I just had two online races in a row where it hosed me over, like suddenly realizing smart steering was on when it yanked me away from a shortcut, then comically flailing to turn it off but accidentally turning tilt steering on instead and veering off course enough that I just ended up dropping out. I hate it! :arghfist:

Took me halfway through a cup cursing why I couldn't get the purple boost to work before I realized I'd turned it on by accident.

I finally played the new courses in 200 cc and drat are they fun at this speed. Ninja Hideout is even harder :( The other ones feel better made for 200 cc than most of the original courses though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been wondering for a while now if MK8 shifts the probabilities for specific courses to get something other than the standard 150cc speed in online mode. I feel like I've spent way more time careening around like crazy in 200cc in Ribbon Road & Baby Park in particular compared to other courses, and conversely, it feels like I've also spent more than a fair share of time puttering around Toad's Turnpike at an absolute crawl. I could be imagining all that, but it sure feels like it's the case :iiam:

pwn
May 27, 2004

In my.... way, way too many hours of online play these past couple years, it seems that it depends on the scores of the players, if there are more people with 5-digit scores, 200 is more likely to pop up. Conversely more low-4-digit players means 100 can pop up (I've never seen 50 come up, maybe if everyone is sub-1,000 points??) I don't remember the last time I saw 100 come up, which is probably because I myself am in the mid-40k range now and it precludes 100.

If this is how it works, it's flawed (shock!), since people routinely will be more experienced than their point totals would indicate. At least cheaters seem to be mostly eradicated, though some still pop up.

I should note I never go to Worldwide, only Regional. Once in a while I accidentally select Worldwide and quickly realize the grave error I've made.

Edit: There seems to be a very specific point range that makes Mirror pop up repeatedly, though I've never been able to figure it out.

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 11, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is Team Sonic Racing worth getting for under $20?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I think that sounds about right. It's a budget game with a story I can't even begin to care about, but the actual racing is competent enough that I've played through a couple times. It's a mix of regular races and challenge courses, so there's some decent variety.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

So I recently got MK8D with the advent of the new DLC tracks. I had it on WiiU but finally had to double dip.

In the meantime, I've been slowly going through and conquering my friend's ghosts in time trials (and thus the staff ghost by proxy). However, I've noticed that some of their times on the online list are different than the times once I've downloaded them. It isn't on every course, but when I've seen it it's almost always a 2 second gap between the listed time and the downloaded time.

Has this been happening the whole time? Just a other example of Nintendo being Nintendo when it comes to online?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

On Switch or on another platform? It's no Mario Kart - but if you don't have a Switch and want a modern kart racer then it's the more casual/party game friendly of what is basically a choice of two modern non-Mario Kart racers. An as such is definitely worth it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Played about an hour of this tonight after work and was reminded for the thousandth time that MK8s bowser castle SUCKS!!! Most of the base game’s new tracks are good but that one blows.

I miss waluigi pinball and maple treeway. Bring those back please

pwn
May 27, 2004

Maybe someone here is more experienced with the points system in online and can crack this nut.

It's a progressive system. The more points you have, the more you lose, yes? I'm simplifying it but based on your points and the points of those in the race is how the game determines how many points are awarded or deducted after a race. For example if you and everyone else has the same amount of points, you'll all get something like this after a race (keeping it to six players for simplicity):

1st: +15 pts
2nd: +9 pts
3rd: +4 pts
4th: +0 pts
5th: -3 pts
6th: -6 pts

But if the point totals are uneven it gets interesting. If five people are relatively low, say, 1,000-5,000 point totals, and one person has, say, 40,000, and mr. 40k comes in 2nd, he'll get 0 points, and 3rd or worse, he'll lose progressively huge sums. Feels unfair but it's actually extremely fair, ok.

But sometimes there will be some 100k fucker, maxed out at 99,999 points, and while they obviously get 0 points for 1st, they don't lose points in 2nd or even 3rd place. If they're last or real late they lose points, but why the hell aren't they losing like 20 points when coming in 2nd with a bunch of sub-30k players? My first instinct is to accuse them of cheating but it seems like the progressive "taxation" of points is unsustainable, does it turn around after a certain point or something?

For the record I'm currently at 44,700+ and I've been rubberbanding in the 44k range for a couple months, seemingly unable to escape. How the hell do people get to 99k

Edit: This is regarding MK8, not CTR or Burger King Racer

pwn fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 28, 2022

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

https://youtu.be/xBly7QHQkYA August 4

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My body is ready.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

DLC is out, crossposting from the main switch thread:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The first set of courses is good but other than Waluigi Pinball, not amazing.

Everything in the Propeller cup is amazing. Sky High Sundae is the kind of mind bending course I want out of this game, Snow Land is way better than I expected and the other two are really fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw poo poo, I almost missed this. I coulda been racing all afternoon, but got actual work done instead like a chump :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I gave them a run through in single player, and they seem good. I'll have to play some more to really rank them, other than Luigi's Pinball being good.

The big thing is that I forgot again that it would just be two sets of races, and got disappointed when I got through them so quickly. I know the tradeoff is having more frequent updates, but I think I'd pick putting them out in sets of four just to feel a bit meatier. So, it'll be nice to get back into multiplayer with some more new ones added in.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Going through the path of mushrooms on the right in 200cc Mushroom Gorge almost always results in me falling, ugh. Thank goodness for the blue mushroom in the middle.

I never played the Sydney course so that was fun. I liked the two cups.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone have a link to that MK8 Kart builder comparison? Specifically, the one where you put in your build, and it will almost always show you a similar build that's better?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have a link to that MK8 Kart builder comparison? Specifically, the one where you put in your build, and it will almost always show you a similar build that's better?

This thing?
It told me to stop using Mr Scooty, I would not believe its lies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Maple Treeway When.