Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Waluigi Pinball is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1555191948956368897?s=21&t=aSfBaxUrG2S6850TWf-wGg

:getin:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hell yes. :rice:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 4, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harrow posted:

Tactics Ogre has class changing. Class changing in Tactics Ogre is sorta simultaneously simpler and more complex than in FFT. You just need to get a consumable item called a "classmark" and using it on a unit makes them that class, rather than having a big class unlock tree like FFT. Many classmarks can just be bought at shops but some special classes have different ways of getting classmarks, sometimes in limited numbers. The part that's more complex is that the skill mixing and matching is a lot more granular than in FFT.

You also get special units with unique classes like in FFT.

Interesting. That sounds ok in the end. I should and will probably get 3 Houses one day…. But I like the options I’m getting otherwise.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another interesting thing about Tactics Ogre that I think Ace Transmuter brought up in the RPG thread is that some of the tankier/knight-type classes get zone of control abilities that can make them really good at protecting your back line. There's a passive skill called Rampart that creates a region around a character equipped with it where an enemy has to stop moving when they enter that region. They can move out of it on their next turn, but it means that you can set up a knight as a wall protecting a pretty wide area. It's a nice little mechanic that adds a bit more to tactical positioning.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Hell yes. :ricin:

I miss the days of the cars being driven by the Miis you made years ago when you first set-up your Wii, so you'd lose first place due to getting sideswiped by Hitler or your ex.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Interesting. That sounds ok in the end. I should and will probably get 3 Houses one day…. But I like the options I’m getting otherwise.

Honestly, Three Houses might not be your cup of tea because it has the most fluid class system of the series, but also it is such a big step up from Awakening and the character writing is insanely good and yes you should play it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Bug Squash posted:

I miss the days of the cars being driven by the Miis you made years ago when you first set-up your Wii, so you'd lose first place due to getting sideswiped by Hitler or your ex.

I got spun out by a banana once in the parking lot and my mom ran me over

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I like what they did with Kalimari Desert, when I was a kid I used to "explore" the tracks by driving around in Time Trial and one of my favourite things to do was go down the train tracks and see what happened so this is basically wish-fulfilment :D

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Honestly, Three Houses might not be your cup of tea because it has the most fluid class system of the series, but also it is such a big step up from Awakening and the character writing is insanely good and yes you should play it.

I want to play Three Houses but ugh buying a game for full price fills me with ennui. I do that like once a year and my 2022 purchase has been consumed already.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Three Houses, in this economy!?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find one house for sixty dollars anywhere you'd want to live, it's obviously a steal.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Three Houses, in this economy!?

Nah I’m a millennial it’s Three Avocado Toasts

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Fire Emblem: Three Sublet Apartments

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cat Machine posted:

Fire Emblem: Three Sub-Prime Mortgages

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Morpheus posted:

I want to play Three Houses but ugh buying a game for full price fills me with ennui. I do that like once a year and my 2022 purchase has been consumed already.

It's available for 10% off digitally right now and has dipped much lower. Physical used copies hover around $40, I think. I think you could get it at a 50% discount come holidays if you're willing to wait.

It's well worth it at full price though

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man on closer look they did gently caress all for the sprites in Tactics beyond smear them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah they should have done nothing

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The downside to buying physical Switch games is they can easily be misplaced. My Mario Kart 8 deluxe cart seems to have vanished. Guess I'll be spending the weekend turning my apartment upside down looking for it so I can play Waluigi pinball.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lick absolutely everything until you find it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How are the courses? What's Kalimari Desert like? I wish I wasn't in the office today! :argh:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How are the courses? What's Kalimari Desert like? I wish I wasn't in the office today! :argh:
They fundamentally altered it in a really satisfying way that I don't even wanna talk about till more people have played it because coming round the corner and seeing the change on lap 2 was a genuinely cool surprise

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

If it's the same content why is it two different prices? Why are there two in the first place?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The second is standalone, the expansion pass requires Xenoblade 2.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bug Squash posted:

I still have all of my Miis from my Wii. They made it to my Switch. I wish Nintendo wouldn't run away from the Mii legacy. Just give them accessories and some more options. Everyone loved Miis.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The new Kalamari Desert is a contender for my favourite track of all time. It's awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Spacebump posted:

I still have all of my Miis from my Wii. They made it to my Switch. I wish Nintendo wouldn't run away from the Mii legacy. Just give them accessories and some more options. Everyone loved Miis.

Exactly! Take a page out of their own game, Miitopia, and get crazy with the makeup options

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A few years back I bought a used physical copy of Torna at a GameStop for $20 and the code for the season pass was unused.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Upsidads posted:

Man on closer look they did gently caress all for the sprites in Tactics beyond smear them

So, they met the rigorous standards set by Square management for vintage game ports?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

no go on Quiznos posted:

If it's the same content why is it two different prices? Why are there two in the first place?

The expansion pass contains Torna, but requires you to own XC2.

Torna by itself is also a standalone campaign and can be bought and played without owning XC2. It's a bit of a niche use case but maybe if you wanted to see what happens in it but already sold your XC2 copy I guess

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I’m considering it every time I see it on sale. It’s likely to be one of my endgame games for this system. I’ve heard differing opinions of map design too, like it’s not great or too simplistic. Lack of design and objectives is what also made me turn hard off of awakenings (and the social stuff too actually). I just likely finely tuned experiences. Been playin AW: dual strike on this trip and yeah it’s sorta broken, thanks to CO powers, but it’s also loads of fun. AW is such well designed strategy games.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

How is Wrestling Empire btw? I get tempted to buy it every sale, but get frightened away by the reviews.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Wrestling Empire rocks. I played it for around a month straight

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AlternateNu posted:

Soooooooooooo, do you need to have played any of the Xeno series at all to play XB3? :stare:

No but you should because they're good. Even XCX, which is an unfinished mess and unrelated (AFAIK) to XB1-3. The freedom of movement and exploration in XCX was probably the most fun I'd had running around a game world prior to BOTW and its soundtrack is overall good.

XB3's soundtrack is just amazing though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw a viral tweet saying that each song sounds like the composer was told that each song would be the last song they would ever compose and it it’s pretty accurate.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I've tried to get into tactics ogre multiple times, each time it just feels unsatisfying, it's a slog, most of the classes suck, and the leveling up is super weird

If you're coming from final fantasy tactics, you're in for a pretty big disappointment I think. That's not even getting into the $50 price tag for a literal 1995 snes game that has been remade multiple times

I did enjoy the follow-up knights of lodis on the game boy advance a little bit more. Leveling up was easier to track/ make sense and I put in a good 15 hours before I dropped it. The music was too repetitive and they were very few unique sprites so it got boring fast.

Original one is in my opinion downright bad, they should have remade the GBA knights of lodis one instead. This isn't a response to anyone in specific, I'm just seeing people on Reddit are super excited about the announcement like it's a return to form for the genre. This is one of the prototypes for the entire genre and it plays like it is all I'm saying....

Anyways, I should play triangle strategy at some point

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 4, 2022

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Knight of Lodis was so good, but I played it in my early teens when I was at peak tolerance for repetitive tasks and micromanagement

I hope tactics ogre ends up good

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Morpheus posted:

Maybe try checking your public library? They loan it out here.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Personally, I would try playing one of the other existing ports for an hour or two before dropping the $50 on the new one because I don't think it's going to change that much. Even though I've tried it repeatedly and have maybe put 15 hours into it total, I'm always instantly bored on hour 1 which is frustrating because I like the genre.

I do like the HD sprite work look they had going in the psp version and I also like the UI lol only because it reminds me of final fantasy tactics. Now there's a game they should remake/polish up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Triangle Strategy is genuinely great. I’ve just started before going on holiday and I can’t wait to get back to it. It’s really finely tuned.