Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Wow $60k doesn’t go as far as I thought it would and now my Slack messages have doubled.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bonzo posted:

*uses /r/personalfinance for money advise*

*sees multiple posts of “I’m 22 and make a totally normal salary of $200k, what should I do with this money” and unfollows the sub*

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

$60K is like bare minimum needed to survive

It’s true. If you’re not out in the farmland boonies and just in a suburb of a metro*, $60k is just about where you can start to breathe a little easier. It’s not a lot of money, but it’s usually the point where you can afford to build up a decent emergency fund (that will be completely wiped out in the first medical emergency you have because we live in hell).

*excluding NYC and any city in CA

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ve found the more I make, the less work I actually seem to do. Honestly, the hardest jobs I ever worked are still grunt-level retail and serving. Those are both hell on your mental well-being and body.

Now I’m a corporate middle manager making a very competitive salary, and I sit in my robe at home knocking out my daily tasks in two hours and spend the rest of the day just kinda being on call if someone needs me. Usually I’m just on SA or playing games.

Not complaining, but it’s still pretty hosed up.