Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Like, it's probably pretty rad to be a snail and have no loving idea what's going on eating whatever happens to be around without comprehension of mortality until you just stop existing for no discernible reason. I have to drive to work and talk to dipshit assholes so I can buy a hot dog that I know is going to kill me. Something doesn't add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Does this look happier than us

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

EorayMel posted:

Does this look happier than us

Yeah for sure.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Animals simply focus on doing what they need to do to survive and pass on their genes but humanity hosed up this simple formula that worked for billions of years by applying a sense of morality to their actions. So now the man who kills another guy to rape his wife thinks it's ok for him to do it because he's "good", the other guy is "evil", and his wife is subhuman cattle, and there is an almighty god who agrees with the first guy's actions and will reward him with a heavenly paradise despite being a psychotic murderer and rapist.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Golden Retrievers are happier than us - Everything else suffers from the grim weight of existence in it's own way.

Edit: Except Capybaras, who have fully accepted their place in the universe.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Serak posted:

Golden Retrievers are happier than us - Everything else suffers from the grim weight of existence in it's own way.

Edit: Except Capybaras, who have fully accepted their place in the universe.

:hmmyes:

what about this dude?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Animals simply focus on doing what they need to do to survive and pass on their genes but humanity hosed up this simple formula that worked for billions of years by applying a sense of morality to their actions. So now the man who kills another guy to rape his wife thinks it's ok for him to do it because he's "good", the other guy is "evil", and his wife is subhuman cattle, and there is an almighty god who agrees with the first guy's actions and will reward him with a heavenly paradise despite being a psychotic murderer and rapist.

what the HELL are you talking about

also yes my snail is happier than me. check my boy out

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

DrPossum posted:

what about this dude?

You know that episode of the Simpsons where Flanders finally snaps because he can't hold up his endless positivity in the face of the misery and incompetence surround him?
Quokkas are like that

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

DrPossum posted:

what about this dude?

Australia is like the last place you'd expect to find something like the quokka, an animal that's so cute it looks like a CG rendering of something from a Disney cartoon.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
I mean almost every hoop we have to jump through and stupid game we have to play, just to not die in an alley way from starvation or a preventable disease has been created by us, humanity.

I don't see fish doing this to each other.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I wish I was a snail

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Banana slugs have dicks the size of their bodies :sickos:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you’ve ever seen wild animals up close, they are usually smiling. You rarely see that poo poo in photography because they catch them when they’re out and hungry. But they’re usually smiling when they’re just chilling. So I’d say about the same happiness as people, same range of emotions.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Are spiders happy when they sit on a dog turd on the grass for four hours and wait for a fly to land two inches from their faces

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Yaldabaoth posted:

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but hear this in your avatars Canadian Kermit voice.

Answer:

Predator animals = Blissful

Prey Animals = Riddled with Anxiety, so lateral move I guess.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Intestinal parasite deep in someone's butt
Hey it'sa living!

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

EorayMel posted:

Are spiders happy when they sit on a dog turd on the grass for four hours and wait for a fly to land two inches from their faces

Maybe not there but i usually see spiders in a web and that seems pretty cool. Probably feels good when you make the web come out your butt too.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

In the Flintstones all the animals seemed to be very exhausted and were stuck in dead end jobs

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
I agree, the lack of existential dread helps with happiness big time.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Banana slugs have dicks the size of their bodies :sickos:

heh wow didnt expect to find out that i was a banana slug today but here we are. my penis is gigantic is what im trying to say.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
They don't call me banana for my colour

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My dog seems pretty dang happy most of the time, but also if im like 5 minutes late feeding him its like the worst thing in the universe so i guess its one of those the highs are highs and lows are low situations :shrug:

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

:chloe:

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
well, I have to pay $60 for a game I might play and enjoy for a few hours, meanwhile my kitten just looks behind him and has entertainment for days so long as he forgets he has a tail

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Sure seems like it op

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
If I wasn't a human, I'd be an octopus.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Those 1 day bugs that never have to poo poo or brush teeth in their whole lives :angel:

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
I'd reckon that humans are part of the few that are able to 'know' beforehand about their future demise (at age appropriate development), and it makes me wonder how much of a concept of death animals generally have. It probably runs the gamut pretty well, and I am reminded of Elephants mourning their dead at literal graveyards, and stray cats/dogs who travel with a companion that ends up hit by a car and they refuse to leave their side. Maybe that brain jump to mammal does it, but maybe birds can mourn? Crows perhaps. Octopus might. Snails, no, they are chill.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

dogs are, cats aren’t. everything else not sure

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/gUqdn0L.mp4
This guy is living his best life.

Wild animals probably have a lot of fun, but being a pet seems miserable.

I saw a lot of farm dogs tied up on short leashes outside when I was in Korea and thought how awful it was they could only move around in a radius of only a couple feet. But then I realized inside the apartment is even worse since it's roughly the same size, but nothing even moves in there, no one passes by, no birds or anything. We keep a lot of animals in extremely small boxes most of the day. Sure, sometimes they go for walks and stuff if they're dogs, but pet life seems unsufferably boring for most pets most of the time.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I can't remember where I heard it but I heard someone say something like "the gazelle having escaped the lion pursuing it is overjoyed, believing that it has eluded death once and for all."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
(some) Pets yes, wild animals no

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
depends on the circumstances

https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1502065258839646209?s=20&t=w75pAMhr5g0Ea4CQKtiQ9Q

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

Wild animals probably have a lot of fun, but being a pet seems miserable.

I saw a lot of farm dogs tied up on short leashes outside when I was in Korea and thought how awful it was they could only move around in a radius of only a couple feet. But then I realized inside the apartment is even worse since it's roughly the same size, but nothing even moves in there, no one passes by, no birds or anything. We keep a lot of animals in extremely small boxes most of the day. Sure, sometimes they go for walks and stuff if they're dogs, but pet life seems unsufferably boring for most pets most of the time.

Most of nature spends every single day of its life fighting to not starve, be eaten alive or die of exposure, with a full load of parasites and infections that are never treated. Wild animals do things like leave the young and sick to be eaten by wolves, because that's how nature rolls. They have a much worse life in general than your spoiled apartment dog.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

poverty goat posted:

Most of nature spends every single day of its life fighting to not starve, be eaten alive or die of exposure, with a full load of parasites and infections that are never treated. Wild animals do things like leave the young and sick to be eaten by wolves, because that's how nature rolls. They have a much worse life in general than your spoiled apartment dog.

So do you have no brain or is it just out on loan?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Have a look at this dog playing in a muddy puddle

https://i.imgur.com/ct2eDWs.mp4

Have you ever been that happy in your entire life? That carefree? That unburdened by cares and worries and stress?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

Parasites are the spice of life!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

my dog is really happy for the most part but shes also afraid of outdoor furniture so it seems like there are pros and cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

But do they know that?