Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NjXEDyzFsk

Buffy is not a show I generally think of when thinking on great TV show music but Season 2 at the very least has a couple unforgettable tracks, this being one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM2o4AnpLTk

"Passion" was the first episode ever directed by Michael Gershman. You can do a lot worse than making your debut with probably one of the most unforgettable episodes in an iconic TV program. Everything about the episode is flawless, really. Except maybe the dialogue between Jenny adn Angelus about how he got into the school because that never comes up before or after and it's a public building which vamps have no problem entering. But who cares! Peak acting from all involved, we got a rare Badass + Dad Giles all in one go, and I gotta mention the music again because a great musical score makes everything better. Given her brief time on the show, Jenny Calendar was a pretty memorable character, helped some by the fact Giles never really has a love interest again throughout all the seasons. I recall some vague weirdness with Joyce but that was all gag stuff.

I'm not giving out episode by episode scores like I've done for rewatches of shorter shows, like 20 minute cartoons or whatever, but Passion is probably the first contender for 10/10. Everything is great from start to finish. And it doesn't leave us with absolute despair, we still have hope in the form of one floppy disk.

My only vague criticism is Xander needs to drop the silly way of phrasing stuff when poo poo is dramatic like this. By all means encourage Giles to go after Angelus or whatever, but saying "faster pussycat" is just...inappropriate for the circumstances.

I just finished Season 2. There's so much I did not remember about "Becoming" I've been waiting for when Joyce would finally learn of Buffy's identity. I did not remember that and Buffy getting kicked out all happened in this episode. Part 2 is just one crushing blow after another. Speaking of which, another big thing I did not remember was Xander's lying to Buffy about what Willow said, what she was doing. That is....I can't recall if this is ever exposed but if it is, I can't blame Buffy for never forgiving him. Xander crossed a line here with his vindictiveness and pettiness. What he did to Buffy - hell, what he did to Angel - is too much.

So Season 2 was a lot longer, a lot more to try and remember and process. Thinking on the main points:
-Xander and Cordelia is funny and can become genuinely sweet
-Giles and Angel probably tie for Most Improved Character Award due to their backstories and being able to do more things
-The Fish Boy episode, if it deserves to exist at all (a big if) should not be sandwiched there before the big climax. I remember just skipping it entirely when I bought the S2 DVD way back.
-Another unforgettable S2 track.. I can't recall any super memorable music after this season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Q80e487SU

-Spike as a villain is 110% overshadowed by Angelus and even Dru. He doesn't succeed at much of anything and is nowhere near as intimidating as them.

-You don't have to tell me but with how heartbreaking Becoming Pt 2 was, I couldn't help but think "....are there any happy season finales?" The Gift is obviously tragic. Prophecy Girl was pretty happy. My dim memories of S3's and 4's finales ae mostly positive...? S6 and 7 are the finales of Buffy Season 6 and 7, so happiness is not allowed. So I guess it 's about half-and-half in my memory at present.

Overall, I felt S2 held up remarkably well. Everything was substantially better across the board. And if my memory of S3 is accurate, it only continues to get better.

OK, you're talking about Musical score here, which I feel needs some clarification. The Bronze would have real, seriously talented artists "performing" their poo poo. I remember Cibo Matto and Morcheeba showing up on the show. Hell, me rewatching this show in college is pretty much what got me into Trip Hop. (Incidentally, I majored in film and one of my project essays was about the actual music video for Cibo Matto's "Sugar Water". So there's a throughline in my life from this show. If the scene where they played it wasn't so memorable*, I'd have never looked up the band.)

*When She Was Bad --- The song that's playing when Buffy's seducing and toying with Xander. "La la laa~aa--lilala la la laaa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NikkolasKing posted:

Going back to Mr. Trick and the presence of guns in Buffy vs. Angel, it seems like it's probably just a conceit of the two shows. I think we all know bullets are fatal to Slayers. Even if Buffy can manhandle Angel in a one-on-one fight, Angel is certainly more bullet resistant than her and so having guns everywhere isn't a big deal.

Watching ATS Episode "Five by Five" conveniently reinforced this idea with Faith shooting Angel to no real effect beyond a bit of pain. But beyond that, I did not consider that one reason the two shows feel so different is their locations. Sunnydale is, as far as I can tell, a pleasant suburb. Sure it has demons and robots lurking just out of sight but it's all nice houses and lawns. This Angel episode started with a Latin gang member and then Faith in some seedy part of town. Settings are important in establishing a town and Angel operating in a grungy, dirty city really makes it stand out from Buffy.

Eliza's acting as Faith having her breakdown is phenomenal, notably I teared up which has only happened a couple times so far.

Oh, the shot with the recently tortured Wesley taking in the scene and dropping the knife he's holding is one of my favorite moments in either series.

RE: The mayor and Faith and love (and I guess also to a lesser degree, Spike and Buffy and Love)

I see this thing all the time in analysis of the show (and another show that has a similar dynamic to Mayor Wilkins/Faith), where there's this idea that an evil person can't really love, or, put another way, the only love that is genuine is a love rooted in goodness and selflessness. Which just always strikes me as nonsense. Bad people love all the time. More importantly, love frequently makes people do terrible things. The villains loved their respective people, honestly and truly. Maybe there's manipulation and self gain in there---so what. They're still bad people. But the way they manipulate or use a loved one is going to be shades different than how they do their usual villainy.

Toxic, unhealthy love* is still love. If it's something that's causing a problem in someone's life, pretending that it's not love isn't ever going to help them get over it. You ever want to get seriously hurt by whatever random object happens to be lying around, try telling anyone that they don't love someone when it's pretty clear that they do. Most people react poorly. Just because it's not good love doesn't mean it's not love. Love is easy; compassion is hard.

*Although, with regards to the Mayor and Faith, the bulk of any toxicity seems to be directed at people that aren't Faith. It's telling that years later, when Faith is more or less fully reformed, she still admits that she thinks of him in her memories as a father figure. And I'll be the guy that says it---he legitimately was good for her, ultimately. Even as his influence solidified her against Buffy, and made her do more evil deeds, her ultimate redemption would have been impossible without him. He is the sole being that gave her the kind of support she needed to not self-destruct when she was most likely to. Literally nothing in 7 seasons of Buffy and how the gang hashes out their problems with one another would lead me to believe they were capable of that kind of unconditional acceptance. They struggle with one another--someone they didn't love, like Faith? Please. Maybe Angel would have still been able to get through to her eventually, but more likely, she'd be taken by the watchers, or the authorities, or killed by Buffy or thrown away any chance of Angel saving her by killing Buffy--it goes on and on--long before any kind of breakthrough would have been possible.

Souls are a weird notion. Mayor Wilkins sold his own away and yet still loved Faith. If he didn't take her in, she would have most likely died as damned. And yet, had he won and lived she would have also almost certainly gone to her grave as damned. Both of these statements can be true.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NikkolasKing posted:

I see your point and I agree. I believe bad people can love and specifically that the Mayor loved Faith and she loved him. But it's precisely because he offered her so much genuine support and help in S3 that what he says here bugged me.

I think even Buffy believes that love is selfless, though. This applies to evil love, too. Our prime example of that from his introduction all the way to the end is Spike. Even without a soul he does so much for Dru and later Buffy. I am not sure if the Mayor lacks a soul - he sold it but that might just mean some demon or hell dimension has dibs on it if he dies. Souls are very important in Buffy and Angel and I'm not sure if it's because Love comes from them. I think they mostly instill in us the capacity for empathy. Love, empathy, and selflessness ideally go hand-in-hand but they aren't identical. Spike gave up his life a couple times for the woman he loved but that doesn't mean he could exactly feel their pain or put himself in their position emotionally.

In fact, this reminds me of a couple quotes I wanted to post about and they are super relevant. From "Five by Five"

Wesley: "He may be a ruffian, but he's already got a soul, and therefore - deep down inside - an urge to do what's right."

Also
Angel: "We can't just arbitrarily decide whose soul is worth saving and whose isn't."

One word: Lindsey. That is several seasons later, admittedly.

I always had this pocket theory that the real thing a soul actually does is allow one the capacity for self-reflection. And empathy or conscience or whatever is sort of a consequence of that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm trying to think if any of the episodes that talk about Vampires and their lack of souls explain where the soul goes. Presumably wherever people go when they die, but another concept I've toyed around with is that it goes to sleep. Like, inside of them. Buffy retains a memory of Heaven; Angel and Spike do not seem to have a memory of any kind of an afterlife--just memories of what they did while they were Vampires.

The soul still being present but sleeping is as reasonable explanation as any for why vampires retain or exaggerate their old personalities---The demon subconsciously still wants the same thing that the living person did, it just has very different ideas on how to achieve this.

The demon, for whatever its part is, is constantly inhabiting the vampire. Soul or no, it's still inside. This is why Angel can "turn into" Angelus if he's drugged. The soul basically fucks off into crazed drug stupor world and the demon is given the reins. So if the demon is always there, waiting to break free, it makes a certain degree of sense that, in the "natural" order of things, the human soul is still there, hoping for the same chance. It just never happens because a human soul is not as strong as a demon, without some kind of outside help.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NikkolasKing posted:

Vampires are clearly still animals, that is consistent all series. We can concede Spike is an anomaly or we can say he and Angelus are simply better at rationalizing their innate thirst for violence. Even with a soul, Angel drained Buffy after she beat him enough to make him vamp out. The demon in him took over.

This is another thing I feel like the show never really clearly defined well enough. What's the difference, ultimately, between a spirit and a soul? And do demons, which may or may not have souls, possess spirits? Is the vampire demon a type of spirit? Animals have a type of spirit, as this was stated in the episode with the hyena possession. Is the soul a refined type of spirit, or is it an additional presence to a spirit? Is it something else? Just how crowded, metaphysically, is Angel at various points during the series?

Could vampirism be, essentially, a kind of soul lobotomy of sorts? Reducing a refined human soul into a base animal spirit? The Hyena pack didn't honestly behave that much different than Vampires do.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

banned from Starbucks posted:

Vampires being demons that just like take over the body is such a odd and never really explored concept. There's hundreds of demon..uh..species I guess..in the BtVS universe. Can any of them become vampires or are there specific vampire demons just floating around invisible waiting to take over a body that gets turned?

I'm pretty sure that it's not "demon" as we typically see in the series, but a full on inhabitance of a true demon, such as Illyria, or whatever the hell the Mayor channeled into himself during his ascension.

Really old vampires like the Master or Kakistos started to resemble the demon. Notably, there seem to be different "lineages" of vampires. Whatever created the Master's line seems to be... More successful, given basically every particularly strong vampire we see in either show other than Kakistos seems to be directly in that lineage.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NikkolasKing posted:

That's Season 4 down. A reviewer said Season 4 "limped to a close" and I'm tempted to agree. I think the season started off so strong than it just kept going further and further downhill with the last high being Faith's episodes. I feel sorry for Adam. Really interesting concept, good look, fine actor, and the writers had no faith in him at all. Only Big Bad all series who doesn't even get the final episode of the season dedicated to their defeat. He and Riley truly are brothers in how the narrative sabotages them.

Beyond Season 4 though I think I'm just reaching a hump or wall. This is it. This is Season 5 coming up and then it's all downhill from there. I know I should be open minded but I am very skeptical I'll come out of the rewatch singing praises for either Season 6 or 7.

If it helps, I was pretty dubious about the final two seasons on a recent-ish re-watch of the series, and while I felt Season 7 was about as bad as I remember, Season 6, which used to be my least favorite, seems quite a bit better on reflection, taking it all in at once and actually paying attention to hints of where the story was going.

One part of the back half of the series that shines fairly brightly on a re-watch is Dawn. I used to hate Dawn in sort of an unwanted Scrappy Doo kind of way and it seems like she's being kind of a brat, but they ask a lot of that kid, and she gets to eventually become tough as nails.
~~~
Tara's another one. I never disliked Tara like I did Dawn, but I also never really... got Tara. On re-watch I conclude that Tara's also kind of great in her own way. But more importantly, she held her own little orbit of "not quite the inner circle" that Anya never quite pulled off, Reilly completely missed, Spike cheerfully jumped over, and all the new Season 7 characters never really came close to. The show feels like it lost a layer of atmosphere after she died. Cordelia filled this role in the earlier seasons. Though the dynamic and personalities were very different, of all the characters the show tried to replace Cordelia with, Tara was the one that worked, and they never quite got the right character balance in Season 7, after she left.

A story needs these secondary characters. Or tertiary, I guess, if you wanna give Buffy a whole level to herself. I think there's a trap here which trips up a lot of very good creative teams or writers or whatever and holds them back from being great. You can't kill off or write out all of your so-called expendable characters. They're not expendable if there's no one else to take that role.

I'm gonna start thinking of it as the confidante role. Someone who is just close enough to the cast that any one character can have a one-on-one interaction with as needed, but enough of an outsider that they won't by necessity always be caught up in the main plot of the episode.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Dawn's pretty much the only thing I like about Season 7 at all, aside from the closing shot in the one episode with Spike smoking against the cross and the look of wonder that Anya gives Spike when she first sees him and understands what happened. Emma absolutely nailed that emotion, which can be a tricky one.

Anya in general always felt like she was used wrong. Emma Caulfield consistently showed throughout the show that she had the talent to pull off the necessary comedy and drama, but they never really tried to focus on her with other characters than Xander and sometimes Giles. Losing Tara would have hurt the show's writing a lot less if Anya were better positioned to be that just outside of orbit character, and hell, maybe this is even why they had her and Xander's relationship fall to poo poo. Maybe they wanted this of the character, but it just never worked out for whatever reason. Too little too late, I suspect.

And crucially, not nearly enough interaction with Buffy, the main character of the show.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Kennedy's another one I mind less on re-watch. I found her unbelievably annoying at first watch, but 20 extra years of learned empathy and patience have made me a lot more understanding of her impetuousness. She didn't have the time on screen to develop and smooth off her edges. About the best we got was Faith giving her a dressing down, right near the end, which, I mean, I guess Faith used to have a vaguely similar mentality, but cranked up even higher. So I guess we're supposed to look at that moment and think "yeah, the kids will turn out all right". It's just never actually explored.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NikkolasKing posted:

I had forgotten Dawn had a crush on Xander in S5. I guess there is at least a vague precedent for her hooking up with Xander in thc comics. Still dumb but not as out of left field as I thought.
I'll approach this from the angle of someone who never read the comics.

There's a few more scenes I can name off hand that contribute to the idea. The best of which is after Dawn mistakenly believes she's one of the potential Slayers, but it's really the other girl. "You're not special. You're extraordinary."

Then there's the stuff that's less heartwarming. The way Xander's jaw drops seeing her dance before he realizes who it is (maybe you should stop hanging out at the club that lets in highschoolers, dude), being a little upset by her crushing on the guy with the jacket in Him. And then there's stuff that doesn't scan as meaningful at first but makes sense if you know what happens. When he's staring at Anya, doing her money dance next to Dawn, and whispers, "I'm going to marry that girl," Buffy initially misinterprets him as referring to Dawn. Buffy is, coincidentally, a known clairvoyant.

Then there's the whole scene where Buffy orders him to kidnap her and bring her to safety and she nonchalantly stuns him, grabs the wheel, and heads right back home. I mean, that's not really pertinent as evidence, but it made me crush on Dawn a little, and Xander was actually there. She really is consistently one of the best parts of season 7.

Not sure if I will ever bother with comics, I don't really have a horse in that race, but knowing that it's a thing that happens, well, it doesn't feel too shocking.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Somewhat surprised no one mentioned it yet, but that episode really hosed with James. He's talked about curling up in the fetal position between takes, or about when he was getting ready to do that scene, he got so tensed up that he audibly popped an old whiplash injury and collapsed. He says that it serves a narrative purpose and defends it on those grounds, but I generally get the feeling that he needs to believe that to justify going through it.

So.

The writers were divided on it, with quite a few hating it, it seriously hosed up one of the performers involved, the fans hated it---seems like maybe it wasn't the best idea, but what the gently caress do I know.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I got into this show last year, on season 6 now. I knew a lot of the discourse around it, but I'm honestly kind of shocked that even in the day people didn't recognize Xander was one of the most vile people on the show, and I'm not even talking about the more 'subtle' toxic nice guy poo poo.

The whole stuff with Angel. Like the dude literally condemns an innocent man to Hell because he's jealous of them. Holy loving poo poo *what*. Unless I'm misremembering that second season finale, he deliberately withholds from Buffy that Willow has a plan to save Angel and stop the portal and that Buffy just needs to stall and instead tells Buffy that Willow said to gently caress him up and forces Buffy to kill the man she loves and drat an innocent person to Hell.

Like holy loving poo poo what.

Like even by the standards of the 90s this feels wildly beyond the pall hosed up.

No. Xander made the right call and is 100% the one acting compassionately toward Buffy here, telling her what she needs to hear, as well as rationally toward the problem at hand. It's probably his second most heroic moment of the whole show after the climax of Season 6.

Willow is the one acting stupidly and selfishly here. And Willow is the one who actually did condemn a man with a soul (I would not say innocent) to Hell. Assuming that a regular vampire's soul doesn't lie dormant in their body, she's pulling it out of wherever that soul was supposed to be. A second time. The option should have never been on the table in the first place. Xander's not condemning an innocent man, he's trying to kill a very, very bad one.

Angelus came pretty drat close to winning that fight. Imagine if Buffy had that hope, and were holding herself back. Remember, Angelus knew already that the idea of giving him his soul back was considered. He killed Jenny over it, and there's no real reason for him to believe that's the end of it. Any situation where Buffy holds herself back would result in one where Angelus fights even harder. While he's been seen to revel in the artistry of a kill, he's also been shown to be very direct when in immediate enough danger.

But let's say that knowledge didn't tip the odds toward Angelus early. Let's say the fight is still about the same as it was, but Angelus still activates the portal on schedule. This time, because Buffy knows about the impending spell attempt, she is stricken with grief before the spell completes. Angelus would have certainly killed her there, and he wouldn't have hesitated or toyed with her, because he would have seen the sick art in the irony.

As for Willow herself, there's nothing to say that Willow could have even done the spell in her condition. If Angelus is dust before the attempt, perhaps this potentially spares her the strain. She had just suffered a traumatic brain injury. There is a lot of reason to believe the attempt would kill her. And at this point in the series, it's easily the hardest thing Willow has tried on her own.

Finally, Giles is already in immediate danger, and Xander, who is himself endangered by Willow's recklessness, still rescues Giles with a broken arm while Buffy is handling the scariest opponent and Spike runs off with Drusilla. Willow's badly planned gift to Buffy puts Giles in further danger of being killed.

So that puts his three best friends in danger by Willow's stubborn insistence on doing the spell. One who consented (Willow). One who may or may not have consented (Buffy---and I am inclined to believe that she wouldn't have consented, but I can see an argument either way. In any case, she certainly doesn't need the added distraction.) And finally, one friend who neither would consent to the plan, nor even can consent to it.

To say nothing of the unnecessary danger to literally the world itself. Xander very likely saved the world by not indulging his narcissistic best friend.

Willow hosed up badly here, and, in retrospect, it's the start of a pretty clear, consistent, escalating series of her loving up in exactly the same way throughout the series. She thinks she knows what the "best" ending is. She rejects other people's attempts to talk her out of it. She assumes she is smarter than everyone else. She does not consider their real feelings, only the ones she projects on them. And she messes with forces that she barely understands, and people suffer for it. And quite frequently, she sees the magic as the expedient solution to a problem. She's flippant and superior with it, but she can't actually handle it.

She does it in Dopplegangland. She does it in Something Blue. She attempts to end her affair with Xander through magic, which Xander, who has good reason to know, thinks is a bad idea. She manipulates Dawn (bad wording here--I mean she encourages Dawn's bad idea when it likely wouldn't have gone anywhere without her help) to try to resurrect Joyce, which traumatizes both Summers sisters. She's dumb enough to attempt to fight Glory by herself. She rips Buffy out of Heaven. She brainwashes her own girlfriend, (twice!) who has already suffered through someone loving with her thoughts before. She does the same drat thing over and over again throughout all of season 6, and doubles down on her superiority even though her plans never work.

Even when her use of magic isn't involved, she repeats the behavior. There's at least three occasions where she tries to push things in her relationship with Oz, and he spots that she's not considering his feelings at all, and shuts her down. In Triangle, she attempts to bribe Anya with promises of magic to get Anya to behave how she wants. She moves into Buffy's house (with her loving girlfriend, no less!) while Buffy's dead, doesn't move out when Buffy's back, and doesn't contribute to keeping the house funded.

When she's under someone else's magic, she's even worse. In Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered, (100% Xander's fault and hosed up of him to do, but the various girls' behavior in the spell is perhaps telling) she's easily the most aggressive of the women under the spell, escalating to threatening Xander with an Axe, but before that ambushing him and physically going in hard, despite him trying to escape. The other women all tried to seduce Xander. Even Drusilla, a soulless vampire, asked him about how he felt about Eternal Life. It almost certainly wouldn't have mattered, mind you, but Willow didn't ask. Even factoring in the viscerally uncomfortable scene in Seeing Red, and the lunatic Buffy had to kill without her powers, Vampire Willow is easily the rapiest of the Vampires we see in the whole series. Sexually assaulting the real universe version of herself and Xander, and probably doing worse to her own universe's Angel. And as Angel said, the vampire tends to reflect the personality of the person.

Her greatest character flaw is thinking, "I know what's best and I will make that thing happen, even if no one else agrees with me, and it puts both me and them and everyone else in danger."

When has Willow ever considered another character's consent? On anything?

Edit
Also, in B, B and B, why does she tell Oz? When she actually has an affair with Xander, she tries to keep it hidden. When Xander turns her down when she's ensorceled , she confesses tearfully to Oz until Oz punches Xander. Why would she do that? Here's a theory. She wants Oz to attack Xander. Her reasoning for why Xander turns her down is because of Oz. She tells him not to worry about Oz, but Xander tells her to go to him. If Oz attacks Xander, well, maybe Xander won't care about hurting him. And if we want to be even more uncharitable here, Xander is considerably bigger than Oz. I think she might have been hoping they'd actually fight. Oz is too mature for that nonsense, though. It's not her being that lovely, but it's within her.
~~~~~~
God, that Seeing Red fix for Spike would have been so much better. That's very well thought out.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 26, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

sad question posted:

I felt Xander's lie was lovely and rooted in his feelings about Buffy/Angel. Also Willow in that instance did fine and her spell worked :confused:

Which means she traumatized her friend and sent a man with a soul to Hell. Don't pin that bullshit on Xander. That would have happened regardless of what he said. Or a worse outcome. What, you think the portal wouldn't still open if Buffy knew? There's less than zero basis for that argument. How would she have defeated Angelus faster? She couldn't have. Not without killing him, which defeats the point of the spell.

Willow thought she knew better, and hurt everyone. Which is a recurring theme.

I'll take my analysis a step further, though. Nearly five seasons later, Willow learns about the lie, and her response is a little hurt "I didn't say that." And that's it. A lot of people were upset that it was such a wet fart of a reveal after so long.

But here's the thing: Willow was merely a little sad and hurt instead of angry because she realized that Xander did the right thing. This scene is after Willow goes off the deep end, and she has had almost a year of struggle and self-reflection and facing hard truths about herself, and she can see her own destructive pattern. I think it's a great moment to show off that she's come so far. Any point before the season 6 finale would have ended in the outrage fans still held out for. But Willow has finally grown.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

sad question posted:

Xander lashing out because he disapproves of Buffy's relationships is also a recurring theme. Both Willow and Xander grow throughout the series and first seasons is when he is worst about jealousy stuff. You remember Willow's arc very well so I don't get why you forget this factor in Xander's decision making process.

I prefer to find the explanations inside the show but this is a case where it just feels like a poor writing. They waited too long to address it and realized they can't think of a way to do it properly without torching relationship between Buffy and Xander. They went with a wet fart reveal and until you wrote about it I genuinely couldn't remember how it played out.

No, it's definitely a fair point to bring up Xander's distrust of Angel, and his jealousy of Angel, and both absolutely contributed to his decision, and made his decision easier for him. But just because some of the reasons you do something are petty, doesn't necessarily make the decision wrong. Just as believing you're being selfless doesn't make a decision right.

But the biggest point is, Xander isn't responsible for what happened to Angel, always gets blamed for it, and Willow, who is definitely responsible, never does. There's tons of reasons to get after Xander for his behavior, but this specific one is just people's impressions of the characters coloring their objectivity.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Even Adam? I'm pretty sure Adam was physically stronger, or at least more durable than Glory. Buffy literally bounced off of Adam, but, while her regular attacks didn't harm Glory, they at least turned her head.

Speaking of, did anyone else feel like the fight with Adam was some kind of tribute to Mortal Kombat, between the way Buffy's attacks didn't budge him (reminiscent of the bosses in the old games), the floating bicycle kick, and the heart rip at the end? Was this ever confirmed?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NikkolasKing posted:

This reminds me of years ago debating Glory vs. Illyria. People used the fact Glory was knocked forward by a crowbar shot from Xander while I think an ax shattered on contact with Illyria to prove she's tougher than Glory.

What that person failed to mention is that, from that very same fight with the crowbar. is Glory is shown surviving something far, far more damaging than anything Illyria or Adam ever did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sTDeJk8yp4

I don't know much about...would this be physics? But surely falling from that height is way, way more damaging than any Buffy punch.

Strength is a relative thing. Adam had his chest punctured, ultimately, as what killed him. Glory had the god beaten out of her. I don't think the beating would have worked on Adam, and I'd accept someone saying the former wouldn't work on Glory.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think the discrepancy in age problems does warrant some examination in why it's brought up for Angel/Buffy and not Xander/Anya.

I'll offer a few reasons outside the obvious one, which is that this sort of thing is generally overlooked for boys, regardless. Edit, to be clear, it shouldn't be.

One is that, while Angel had a century with a soul to maybe adjust, and Anya had a couple of months after not being a demon. She even admits in the episode where she asks out Xander that she has been having difficulty with being able to handle suddenly having feelings. So in at least one meaningful way, she's far more child-like.

The other thing is, Xander's age compared to Buffy's. It's still bad, but it's a late term highschool senior in May compared to a high school sophomore in (February?)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Oasx posted:

Season 5 of Angel is comparable to the best of Buffy in my opinion, the others are not anywhere near as good. On rewatches I usually just watch that and the first half of season 1.

Five by Five and Sanctuary are in the second half, though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NikkolasKing posted:

GREGOR: Such was her power. They feared she would attempt to seize their dimension for herself, and decided to strike first. A great battle erupted. In the end, they stood victorious over the beast ... barely. She was cast out. Banished to this lower plane of existence, forced to live and eventually die trapped within the body of a mortal ... a newborn male, created as her prison. That is the beast's ... only weakness.
[...]
GREGOR: The key ... is almost as old as the beast itself. Where it came from, how it was created ... the deepest of mysteries. All that is certain is that its power is absolute. Countless generations of my people have sacrificed their lives in search of it, to destroy it before its wrath could be unleashed.

Okay so Ben was her only prison? She was cast out like 20 years ago since I assume he's about that age? So why were "countless generations" searching for teh Key before that?

Goddamn they're lucky Glory is the best because her backstory and all this poo poo with the Knights, Monks and the Key sucks and doesn't make any sense.

EDIT:

Glory confirms in Weight of the World Ben is 25 and she was banished 25 years ago.

The Key wasn't created when Glory was cast down. The Key just is. It is a key to all dimensions. Maybe it is actually Glory's, more likely, just something she knows of and wants. The point being, it/Dawn is far, far older than Glory's time on Earth. Because of what the Key is, it has always been dangerous. Someone other than Glory could, and in fact, did use it. Glory didn't do the ritual, Doc did.

Edit
On the subject of Holtz, I was always sad that Luke, the Vampire from the first two episodes of Buffy, said he was caught sleeping in 1850something, in Madrid.

If he'd only said 1750something, we could reasonably conclude it was Holtz, but, alas. It was just some mook.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 8, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Pan Dulce posted:

Reddit brought up an interesting question I'd like to pose here.

You remember after Faith killed her first victim, Xander went to go talk to her? And she pinned him to the bed and started choking him? My question is, if Angel hadn't hit her with a 2x4, would she have gone through with it and killed Xander?

She was certainly willing to. She might not have, but it's incidental to what she was doing. Comes down more to if his lungs held out before she got bored with choking him.

Pan Dulce posted:

So we just started S4 of Buffy and S1 of Angel. Just the two starting episodes, but I forgot just how weird the joke, "I'm going to give my mom an aneurysm," lands when you know what happens. Yeesh.

It's even worse, since what she says is "I hope it's a funny aneurysm."

It. Wasn't. :negative:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I feel the only thing that would raise eyebrows for Brits before 9PM was when Spike called Harmony a stupid Bint.

I always looked at things like bloody to be on par with our own friggin' or fricking.

There's cockney rhyming slang at a few points, but why would you censor a thing that's already self censored?!

Giles calls someone a pillock at one point, but dunno how offensive that's considered.

Iunno. The US seems weirder about language than a lot of the world. We're very prudish as a nation, especially in regards to vulgarity. (Look up the actual Spanish name for a Sea Cucumber sometime) I don't think there's much to be surprised about in Buffy being broadcast over there.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'll defer to actual British people on the strength of their swears. I figured Bint might have been worse because, honestly, it just sounds worse. It's not a very lovely word.

I'm not real surprised that most aren't actually that bad because, I mean, we also speak English. If something was nasty enough, we'd be using it here. And...erm... Not using it on TV, I guess.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I Robot, You Jane was bad before Catfishing became big(er?), then it became pretty ok again.

Most of the show has aged quite well, honestly. I wouldn't skip anything on a first watch.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Season 3 episode 17 was good poo poo, I did not see that twist coming. Angel saying "second best" was a top moment.

Of course the prior one with the two Willows is great. S3 might be the best, not overwhelmingly the best but still

It's one of my favorite line reads in the series. Usually, a show does that, the trick is played on the heroes. Real nice direction to turn that one on its head.

Personally, I think Enemies is the best "can stand on its own" episode in the series. The ones that usually get recommended for that kind of thing either rely on gimmicks, assume you're emotionally invested, or both. Meanwhile, I have never seen someone not lose their loving mind at some point between where Angel says "second best" and when he says "I think we know everything that she knows". Takes some folks longer, but they all feel it.

It might also be my pick for most underrated episode. Hard to say if I think it's the most underrated episode or if I think that honor is for I Only Have Eyes For You.

Pretty sure all the other truly fantastic episodes are more or less universally beloved. Maybe not by that weird guy with the skip list.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Oasx posted:

Season 4 is super underrated. You've got two top-five Buffy episodes in Restless and Hush. You've got Superstar, and the fight with Adam in Primeval was one of my favorites.

This, but replace the entire analysis with "It was the season that had This Year's Girl and Who Are You"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
This is why I exclusively audition for roles that are acknowledged as their universe's greatest lovers.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I dunno how many times I have watched this show, but Dawn (and Michelle's performance thereof) gets better in my estimation every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Connor himself gets better, but Angel season 4 is, I am sorry to say, just bad. It's really really bad.