Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oasx posted:

Also, Restless is the best episode of Buffy.

:hmmyes:

Even before Sopranos, doing a perfect dream episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I haven't mentioned her but mainly because I just don't know what the heck is the point of her character. Why did they turn her into a rat? I wonder if there's any actual explanation. At least Earshot gave Jonathan a real purpose and I remember his end.

Do you need a character that is "teenage witch that is just better at magic than Willow" in the story? If you need someone who knows magical stuff to explain plot, Anya took whatever role Amy could.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's neglible speed up to make episodes fit a different ad space run time without cutting any scenes. It doesn't really affect anything.

Previouslies rock, watch the previouslies cut.

I still have 15 year old rips of my own for S1-5, but I have long-downloaded :filez: for S6-7 and it is noticeable to me, just because everyone just sounds a little...off. Willow sounds too high pitched. Theme song sounds wrong to me.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Dawn's pretty much the only thing I like about Season 7 at all, aside from the closing shot in the one episode with Spike smoking against the cross and the look of wonder that Anya gives Spike when she first sees him and understands what happened. Emma absolutely nailed that emotion, which can be a tricky one.

Anya in general always felt like she was used wrong. Emma Caulfield consistently showed throughout the show that she had the talent to pull off the necessary comedy and drama, but they never really tried to focus on her with other characters than Xander and sometimes Giles. Losing Tara would have hurt the show's writing a lot less if Anya were better positioned to be that just outside of orbit character, and hell, maybe this is even why they had her and Xander's relationship fall to poo poo. Maybe they wanted this of the character, but it just never worked out for whatever reason. Too little too late, I suspect.

And crucially, not nearly enough interaction with Buffy, the main character of the show.

I do think that is something the writers knew about the Buffy/Anya relationship, as I again point out Restless as the high point of the entire show. Once you get to Buffy's dream, and all of the Scoobs have been killed, it starts with Anya, far away, whispering to Buffy. It is something they knew about.

Everyone posted:

I suspect that Whedon came to understand this after the fact and that was why he tried to get Benson to come back.

Wasn't the original Whedon thing was he wanted a main credits characters killed off in the first episode - he wanted Jessie in the main credits in the pilot so it would be shocking to kill him off. That's why Amber Benson is in the main cast for that episode - and I remember knowing when I watched the episode live that this was going to be the "Tara dies" episode.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

RIP Merl.

And to wherever the Groosalug went I hope it was ok.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This "Oz was supposed to die after 4 episodes" sounds suspiciously similar to the Spike "you're dead, you hear me?!?!" story.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm about halfway through seerfasunon 6 of Buffy/Season 3 of Angel, andd it really feels like the quality of "Buffy" fell off a cliff after season five. This is the first time I've watched the shows in at least a decade, always liked season six a lot when I was younger. Eh, tastes change.

Season 3 of "Angel" owns so far, though. I really enjoy Holtz as a villain.

Holtz is the best Angel villain, you understand exactly where he is coming from and feels more threatening than the other big bass to me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FilthyImp posted:

That is true. They could have tied in his Soldier Costume programming into being more disciplined or paid Brendan to, iono, get jacked or something?

IIRC Whedon threw a fit when Brendan showed up in season 2 looking fit because he wanted a more schlubby character.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I have no links or anything to hearing about that, just something I vaguely remember from years of reading buffy forums and news. This may have also been a dispute not just between Brendon and Whdeon but Whedon and the WB.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

NikkolasKing posted:

A bit more relevant about the incongruity between actors and their characters - the idea Nicholas Brendon and Alyson Hannigan can't get dates does stretch the suspension of disbelief. Yes, confidence is important, and toxic high school environments can furthe distort things, but...come on.

That's why you needed Jonathan there by season 2 to be even more pathetic.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sometimes Caleb and Jasmine both feel like "Firefly has been cancelled, how can we fit the stars into the other shows" and that would include Adam Baldwin a year later.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76cH2tMI2A&t=15s

The First peaked here and never came anywhere close again.

When I first watched that I thought that it was just building towards The Master and I was pumped to go back to vampires after everything else, because I thought the Master was cool.

Then Buffy showed up at the end and I was like "she's evil now?" I was so confused

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sebmojo posted:

I cannot help but read it as waif u, like a frail waif.. But yeah I think that's a reasonable critique.

All of my beloved anime girls go to finishing school at waif u

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angel is incredibly sauce with the ladies, case in point: https://youtu.be/A8fcH8I4bp0

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rochallor posted:

On my last watch Season 3 dragged a whole lot more than I remembered. There's a lot of middling episodes, and while there are some highs, they don't come close to Season 2, the back half of which is basically perfect.

I remember Mr. Trick being in alot more episodes than he actually was. He's in like 5 when I thought he was there for most of them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

roomtone posted:

The cancellation was announced around Smile Time being aired - so they had to scramble to tie up the show in the last few episodes which is why the whole 'is angel being corrupted?' and circle of the black thorn thing is so underdeveloped. Amy Acker found out it was being cancelled after she was already playing Illyria.

I remember watching the commentary on one of the later S5 episodes and I remember them talking about the scene they were filming when they got the notice, some time in the alternate heart ripping dimension. They said it was like their own hearts being ripped out or something.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

NikkolasKing posted:

Vaguely relevant but to your last point, that ep with Spike's origin and the story of killing the Slayers, he asks Buffy for some Buffalo wings or something. It just made me think how cushy Buffy vamps got it. In a lot of fiction, vampires can't consume anything but blood. They certainly can't enjoy human food or get high or anything like Buffy vamps get up to.

I think they describe eating human food as being possible but bland and off putting. There is a one off line of Spike liking weetabix or something because it thickens up the blood. Or in Angel season 5 the blood they drink tastes great because they added otter.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

NikkolasKing posted:

Although Holtz - who is just a completely normal human - does have a very infamous feat of killing a WR&H hit squad armed with guns with only a sword and it was similarly in a ridiculously short span of time. Not nearly as many people died as with Glory but back in my "who could beat who days" Holtz stood at the top of the Buffyverse humans in terms of skill because of this. Whenever I get to AtS, I'm looking forward to Holtz. He was awesome. Although I recall some fans trying to paint him as an antihero or antivillain. No, he's just an evil SOB, no matter what was done to him. He's far too methodical, especially with what he does to Connor, to be anything but evil.

Holtz is the best villain in Angel, probably because he is human. Just like Holland Manners showed Angel in season 2 - Humans can be just as cruel and evil as any demon.

Edit: lol https://youtu.be/qN36NgSuwQE

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 8, 2023

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

banned from Starbucks posted:

Didn't they give her a credit the episode they killed her off in?

yes, the story was always Whedon wanted Eric Balfour in the pilot credits to make it shocking that he died but they didn't want to pay more to him, etc. So they saved it for Tara.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Whenever I hear James Marsters or Alexis Denisof speaking in their real voices it sounds like that is the fake one.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would avoid reading alot of this thread if you're trying to go in blind because much of the discussion here is full of unmarked spoilers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Xiahou Dun posted:

His other daughter’s an actress too, y’know.

God Britain has such a better pipeline for good actors than America.

I think that is the accent fooling you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LividLiquid posted:

She actually held her own opposite Enver Gjokaj in Dollhouse as he was blowing everybody off the screen, so she'll always have my respect.

drat he was so good in that show. It seemed like sometimes he was the only one who "got" what being a doll was supposed to be.

Maybe Amy Acker as well, if I'm going to be spoiling a show I say no one should go back to, unless you just watch the finale of season 1, which wrapped up stuff much better than anything season 2 tried.

And I guess Severance Spoilers here too: Dichen Lachman came in with good doll experience

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dog_Meat posted:

The whole Initiative thing was a bit of a slog and could have been handled a lot better, but it did give us Professor Walsh trying to kill Buffy in the tunnel and her "you have no idea what a slayer is... trust me when I say you're going to find out" moment.

https://youtu.be/hgJw3IKwDTc?si=CFDAZRzNUFO_RgqR

It's a good scene

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

banned from Starbucks posted:

No amount of budget is gonna make the initiative as a concept any better. The sets and monster costumes all looked fine.
The question is why is the huge facility under a college campus? Why are you making your head scientist work a 9-5 job. Why are your soldiers taking intro to philosophy? More computer screens on the wall doesn't really fix that.

superheroesvillains need a secret identity

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

His brother sang One Night in Bangkok. They are a talented family. The best 80s british rap this side of the pet shop boys

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Open Source Idiom posted:

Storyteller is pretty good. Forgot how blatant the episode gets about Andrew's sexuality -- and the episode suggests that maaaaybe he and Jonathan were loving.

I reckon this episode might look slightly better in 4:3, and perhaps was maybe shot with that intention (or, at least, with the format undecided). There are a few moments that really jump out, like Buffy delivering a very obviously fake slap to a student, or Andrew suddenly gaining and then subsequently losing a pair of sandals between shots, that are only obvious at the edges of the screen and probably would have looked better if they were cropped out. Might try watching this again that way and seeing if anything is gained.

Also thanks to this episode I now know that Jane Espenson coined the name "Zima". lol

The widescreen versions of buffy are terrible.

Wesley really starts to change after he gets hit first taste of LAPD hospitality

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

When I saw that Kartheiser was playing Pete Campbell it was so easy to hate Pete because I was so used to hating Connor.

Connor coming back in season 5 was actually good though. He just wanted to go to Tony Romo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Doctor Teeth posted:

Hulu has seasons 4 onward in 16:9 for some reason and I found my first goof. In the second part of the Buffy/Faith body swap two parter when the scoobies show up at the church where Adam's vampires are holding people hostage, Willow is visible and talking but Alyson Hannigan's mouth isn't moving. Clearly dubbed in later and wouldn't be visible if cropped for 4:3.

There is one of these in every widescreen episode. Like, every, single one.