Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Then they destroyed his relationship by making him a future [fake] deadbeat husband. They really destroyed half the characters on that show by the end.

I do miss shows like Buffy that had 22 episodes per season. For every stand alone stinker theres at least 2-3 per season that are straight up great that you never get anymore with "prestige tv"s 8-10 ep seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xander isn't really a Whedon stand in especially from s4 on since the whole reason he stuffed him in the basement storyline was revenge for the actor getting buff between seasons and upsetting Joss. He really dislikes when his actors change anything about their appearance (see also Emma Caulfield)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

roomtone posted:

Also, the particular story you're referring to is, I'm pretty sure, made up. I have read that Joss Whedon made some kind of comment about how in shape Nicolas Brendan was in the early seasons, because Xander wasn't supposed to be physically imposing and a contrast to the jocks of school. That's not season 4, nothing to do with the basement storyline, and I don't think is even necessarily an abuse of power depending on how that info was communicated. Part of being an actor is looking the part.

He was average in 1-3 then buffed up significantly in 4. Around season 5 the actor said he was told to stop working out then in 6-7 he gets kinda flabby. Its kinda hosed up to think a male actor should change his body type for a part in the era of 30 yr olds playing highschoolers. Imagine telling Alyson Hannigan "Actually youre just kind of a frumpy dork in high school maybe ugly yourself up a bit and put some pounds on to look the part"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

So "Earshot" was another episode I didn't really remember and as sweet as it is in a way, I can't help but feel the fakeout was too...well, fake. Who commits suicide with a sniper rifle? Forget the practicality of it, it must be way harder to get that than some shotgun or something.

At the top of a bell tower too. Oh god I just remembered the season of the evil big bang theory villains. I take back all the bad stuff I ever said about season 4. Well some of it anyway.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What other minor named high school characters were there besides him Harmony? (both dead) and jonathan?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oh man I forgot Amy. She was cool I wish she had more screen time.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Warren was living with his gf in s5 I doubt he was an incel.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Everyone posted:

Not then, but once he broke up with her and built a robot of her to gently caress, he was pretty clearly incel at that point.

I thought it was the other way around. He made the robot then stopped loving the robot when he met an actual girl.

I'm not very up to date with some of this terminology. I thought incels were guys that could never get a girlfriend not guys who just weren't currently in a relationship but were able to maintain one in the past?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im not sure theres anything too deep about it. Once hes dead he knows Buffy will deal with her if she ever gets out of the coma. The device is just a get out of jail free card so she can ditch the Faith identity and start over however she wants.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Someone refresh my memory of Jonathan being on Angel. I have a vague recollection of it happening but completely blank on the context of any of it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

roomtone posted:

Andrew shows up twice in S5 of Angel, Jonathan never shows up there.

Bah mixed their names up. yeah meant him

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vampires being demons that just like take over the body is such a odd and never really explored concept. There's hundreds of demon..uh..species I guess..in the BtVS universe. Can any of them become vampires or are there specific vampire demons just floating around invisible waiting to take over a body that gets turned?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"dees ees a vompiyah, i om a vompiyah suh-laaayah"

Perfect...cut!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Buffy is a concept that only works because of SMG and the other core actors (but mainly SMG who perfectly understands how to thread the serious/sincere poo poo with "this is campy trash just embrace it")
Without her and to a much lesser extent ASH, AH, NB, EC, ect its just awful generic fanfic (what all comics are)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Everyone posted:

Would anyone have even noticed that Oz was gone? Especially at that point in the show?

At that point in the show? Season 2 was when Oz was introduced. Unless you mean he was always a boring poo poo character then yeah fair enough.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I forgot how bad the Buffy needs to get a job episode was. Especially since by that point half the characters had moved into her house "to help" and werent contributing poo poo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Buffy should have just kept the money demon the kid from Home Improvement summons chained up in her basement

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Not every actor is Christian Bale.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

None did except maybe Willow in s1

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xander never wearing a single pair of JNCOs is utter bullshit

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wait when does Willow rape Tara?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

G-Spot Run posted:

Tara is going to break up with her and she wipes her memory

Oh god I forgot about that. Jesus how much rape was in that loving season. That, Warren, a buncha weird Spike poo poo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

why dont vampires just hide out underwater where the slayer cant get them

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If you're homeless do they need permission to enter your box/tent?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He was an odd one. His shtick was what? computers? or vampires who use the internet or something? I remember he ordered fast food and ate the driver and being like "The modern Vampire!" or something goofy and its like yeah but you just used a telephone.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I can't remember was Glory just possessing Bens body or what? What was the deal with whatever was going on there? I think even if people did see Giles kill him it wouldn't be too hard to shrug it off. The magic orb was destroyed and they basically had no other plays left by that point.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dunno. He was pretty much the most threatening (or competent?) of the Trio at least. If you ignore all the gross Warren rape stuff.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Speaking of, did anyone else feel like the fight with Adam was some kind of tribute to Mortal Kombat, between the way Buffy's attacks didn't budge him (reminiscent of the bosses in the old games), the floating bicycle kick, and the heart rip at the end? Was this ever confirmed?

He even has the Baraka style retractable arm spikes and Kanos Terminator eye thing

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

People just can't separate Joss from certain aspects of his work. It's kinda weird

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

kilus aof posted:

Make Tara the season 6 big bad and have the Xander Willow talk down confrontation replaced with a Tara Willow talk down confrontation.

Tara is like an OK side character. No way anyone gives enough of a poo poo for her to pull off being a season ending big bad. Plus what would even set her off?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

. Also Amber Benson/Tara never got a opening credit spot. Bullshit.

Didn't they give her a credit the episode they killed her off in?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It was slightly odd how Xander rose to the top at his (what prob should be a union) construction job after only like 5 months.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

(though now weird cause of what they did in the comics which I try and ignore mostly but that is one of the things I have heard about).

Another reason killing Anya was dumb. It led to that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xander stops being the joss insert by season 4.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Can't really blame her for awful dialog.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

sebmojo posted:

https://liztellsfrank.com/2019/12/03/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-angel-the-unified-skip-it-watch-it-guide/

This is one person's list, which is way harsher than anyone in here would want to be, but does have some reasoning.

"Buffy 4×04. “Fear, Itself”: Skip it."

Oof that's a hot take.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Season 3- Villian is a mayor? Lame. Whats next a dentist? -Skip

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What was the actual plan for Walsh? She's human so Buffy can't kill her. She either gets arrested by the government, the captured demons kill her like the one Army dude who took over or Adam kills her but slightly later in the season.. Adam was kinda lame but its not like they werent building toward something involving him in the first place. I fail to see what they were actually going for that would have been different or that much better.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

No amount of budget is gonna make the initiative as a concept any better. The sets and monster costumes all looked fine.
The question is why is the huge facility under a college campus? Why are you making your head scientist work a 9-5 job. Why are your soldiers taking intro to philosophy? More computer screens on the wall doesn't really fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tara's really only interesting when she's interacting with characters other than Willow. Which doesn't happen nearly enough. It's kind of an issue the show has in general once the cast balloons up and why season 7 becomes unwatchable after Selfless.