Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Let's see what it has to say about "often"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Oyak posted:

...it's even got a reference from the web to back it up.

Hah, I knew it. People who pronounce the T are wrong! They think that's the right way to say it but they've got it backwards. What a bunch of morons!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Oyak posted:

Watch how you say "card" around this guy.

To be fair, if I were surrounded by people who for some reason pronounced "card" as "kyard" I would probably want to write an angry book about it too

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Cubone posted:

bro do you mean ɒ, ɑ, and ɔ?
bro IPA was standardized in 1888 bro

this looks like an ad-hoc variation of the Merriam-Webster/American Heritage house styles that they use in grade schools
and they tend to erroneously conflate the open-mid front unrounded vowel and the close-mid front unrounded vowel as allophonic when forming a diphthong with a mid central vowel and followed by a voiced alveolar approximant, soooo um ya kinda cringe bro

:hfive:

IPA should be taught in K-12

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Foyer, fillet, and garage

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Foy-er (voyeur with an 'F')
Fill-A
Gah-raj

These are the basic bitch pronunciations, I want to see what the book says

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The P in Phyfe is a voiceless bilabial plosive, the h is just there to indicate that it's aspirated

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

and all 3 different in the UK but I assume that's :thejoke:

Not so much a joke as I'm just curious which sides of which lines the author falls on

Oyak posted:

good one

Like look at this, he thinks the emphasis in Helena should be on the 1st syllable, specifically not the 2nd. That's really weird and interesting.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Oyak posted:

serious question, what is filet vs fillet?

As far as I know, they are two interchangeable spellings of the same word

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Let's see what they thought about February back in the day

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

lol

e: also look at how he says fedora

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 14, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Just want to point out that this guy thinks the I in spaghetti should be pronounced the same as the I in goblin

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Oyak posted:

also see the old pronounciation of "bushel," like they used to say moo-stache. it seems like there are a fair number of old vowel pronounciations that have morphed into -uh sound:

fay-doh-ra --> fuh-duh-ra

boo-shel --> buh-shel

well anyway that is my fedora-based lingustic theory

According to the book's pronunciation guide, the double o with the curved line on top represents /ʊ/, which is the vowel sound in the modern pronunciation of bushel.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Zeus, Caesar, and epoch

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Oyak posted:

Fallout New Vegas was right all along.

Weird how the author acknowledges the Roman pronunciation of Caesar but not that of Zeus, even explicitly calling it out as incorrect.

Conversely, I was hoping he'd draw a hard line on epoch.

What was New Vegas right about?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

aluminium
soldering

Take that, Americans .

Aluminum was done earlier and solder is right here on this very page, you ridiculous Englishman

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's a tv ad from a flower delivery service running now that goes with bow-keh' and I hate it.

Could you describe that pronunciation in IPA? It's hard to tell exactly what "bow-keh'" stands for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Stasis, status, data, and dachshund