Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Nah, gently caress Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pug Rodeo posted:

Nah. I’m good.

So no Texarrakis 2?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waffle! posted:

Nah, gently caress Texas.

but don't, like, gently caress texas

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ive been told that in the 80s, when ecastasy was still legal, you would just walk into bars in TX and buy it from the bartender

exxplains a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyGp98Xoq9g

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waltzing Along posted:

You guys know this thread is about a song, right?

It has nothing to do with the state.

I know it's a click-baity title because the song is very rarely lovely but c'mon now.

The OP is the song.

No one cares, nerd

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Waltzing Along posted:

You guys know this thread is about a song, right?

It has nothing to do with the state.

I know it's a click-baity title because the song is very rarely lovely but c'mon now.

The OP is the song.

Nah

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG69PMDBfaE

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Where is Gnarly?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Probably still mad about politics

Mia Antifa
Sep 12, 2011

nazi punks fuck off
all hail west texas, op

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

Probably still mad about politics

I liked him. Because he was from Texas. Ain’t I a stinker?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Texas is pretty cool. Texans loving suck though.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Texas is pretty cool. Texans loving suck though.

I have a an anecdote. I got on this app that was for moms to meet other moms (I referred to it as mommy tinder) but it was, I thought, to make play dates, you know? Anyway, soooo many of these gals had just moved to Texas.

I deleted the whole thing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I.C. posted:

I liked him. Because he was from Texas. Ain’t I a stinker?

yeah I used to post a lot in the texas gbs thread when i was mad addicted to painkillers and benzos and just posting my way through my inner agony

a thing i remembered entirely just now

anyway i remember he used to get really mad at anyone who cared about politics in gbs. i bet cspam was made entirely so mods didn't have to deal with his poo poo

edit also gently caress texas. i had only been to the south before leaving texas but western washington is where i'm gonna die. it has the wild element i liked about texas minus everything else about texas like texas blows rear end if you're not white & het & middle class and it's better being a broke bitch out here idk

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 7, 2022

The Saxecutioner
Mar 4, 2010

A nimble little mouse!
I was scheduled for 72 hours of work at our new Dallas HQ a couple years back. On day 3 and my flight a couple hours out my boss told me I had to stay an additional week & a half to tie up loose ends with some outstanding contractor work.

I got to my hotel room that night, drank 3/4s a bottle of Vodka and bawled my eyes out. Dallas was such a poo poo hole city of fat, slow, redneck motherfuckers. I can't imagine the rest of the state is any better.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a reasonable reaction to being forced to stay in texas

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

trip report: i was in austin yesterday and dallas a couple days before that. ate some good tacos at the torchy's in waco between. they have a special right now called the tokyo drifter, its got teriyaki pulled pork and some kind of sriracha mayo.

when i was in dallas it seemed like a lot more people than usual were driving huge muscle cars and motorcycles and f150s and constantly racing each other in a bunch of different neighborhoods. but then i realized wrestlemania was in town that weekend. the second night i was there there was a tornado watch, but all i saw was some rain.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

pictured: a texan rainforest

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

pictured: a texan rainforest

this joke only works if you have never been to east texas. which, god willing, you havent.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
that's west

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

:clint: Lotta messing with Texas going on in this thread.

Please continue, this shithole of a state deserves it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zil posted:

Please continue, this shithole of a state deserves it

Yeah.

And this is one of the few states that it isn't just the government that's awful. The people are loving horrible.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lived in Texas for about 10 years

Houston is pretty cool but run by a steady stream of complete loving dumbasses and in true texan fashion will never admit they're wrong about how brutally terrible the public transportation is and the people there just completely buy into the "aw shucks, guess things literally can't get better," so when you point out that other cities have been doing that kind of poo poo for generations, they look at you like Dr. Steve Brule

Austin is completely overrated but has some nice parts

San Antonio is pretty loving chill, good food, good bars, bit more relaxed

Dallas is one of the blandest cities in the us. Beyond the obvious points of a dead president, it is culturally and historically irrelevant and is a black hole of culture in general and yet people there think anyone gives a gently caress about Dallas, which is hilarious because, well guys, it's Dallas lmao

Also, having parts of your city being used as a stand-in for dystopian Detroit in robocop probably isn't a good thing*

*I'm aware they used Houston in the sequels but they don't have quite the same bug up their asses about their relevance

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maybe it was the particular time i was there, houston has one of the most soulless and empty downtown areas of any major american city. im sure there are neighborhoods out there in the sprawl where something is happening, but the downtown part of it mostly feels like a bunch of huge generic corporate towers designed by algorithms. barely any people out at all. the lobby of the hotel where i was staying had a security robot. definitely felt like a weird dystopia

dallas is similar but at least deep ellum is ok and even the bland downtown area at least has human beings out and walking around going to work and stuff

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah downtown Houston has absolutely nothing going on, the way the city developed it was bizarre, there's just not too many actual businesses so it becomes an absolute ghost town when there's nobody at work

I lived in midtown for years and I was usually around there, Montrose, and a few other nearby neighborhoods but just never went downtown unless it was for concerts or Aeros games (rip, that city should still have an nhl team imo)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Also another thing about Houston is they have no zoning laws. None.

What to build a housing development in a flood plane? Go right ahead. A chemical factory next to an apartment building? Sure. Want to build a huge parking structure in a residential neighborhood? Hell yeah.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Better than Florida.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

case in point

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

What to build a housing development in a flood plane? Go right ahead. A chemical factory next to an apartment building? Sure. Want to build a huge parking structure in a residential neighborhood? Hell yeah.

Any fun stories of oddities this produced?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is ya'll me, poo poo for brains?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Yaldabaoth posted:

For the most part, it's the human inhabitants who make a place lovely. If you went some place where there were no humans around, you could at the very least appreciate nature in its raw form even if the environment was hostile to human life.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Lived in Texas for almost 4 years in the Austin area.

It's... ok I guess? Just not for me. Weird that California lives rent-free in some Texans' heads because I never really heard of Texas that much when I lived in LA or SF. But here? Boy Howdy. Mention California to some folks and they spin off into a rant.

"Well if you don't like it, move back to California" Uh, yeah ok I will.

Also LOL @ cheap taxes. Everything is dogpiled on suburban sky high property taxes since all the small towns pay squat, anyone in industry pays squat, and farmers and anyone rural finds a way to grab an AG exemption and pays nothing yet somehow the Republicans are running this year on a platform of reducing property taxes. :v:

Zil posted:

Cedar Park, TX has a mining quarry that has blasting operations that go off twice a week, even with those monster dump trucks. The thing is, its surrounded by subdivisions. People new to the area move in and are surprised by the shaking earth and explosions a few times each week. I had a realtor advise me to avoid certain neighborhoods near that area for that reason. Other than that its an ok suburb.

At least compared to Leander, TX, the worst example of a bedroom community. 98% subdivisions, no other real services other than a few strip malls. No stadium, no hospital, just wall-to-wall housing sprawl. Good thing they are right next to Cedar Park where residents can get medical services and real shopping done.

The ex-mayor, Troy Hill, who was voted out last year was a turbo-chud, his grand scheme was this:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2020/10/15/leander-announces-proposed-1-billion-mixed-use-development-featuring-lagoon/114404806/

Which was to build an artificial lake/beach around a new proposed mall. Except they didn't plan out the water/flood management that well. The local lakes and water management people were like "no way we are giving you water to do this" and their plan, to obtain the huge amount of water to maintain this thing was to .. no poo poo.... built a monorail.

A monorail that zips to the Gulf of Mexico to transport water via giant balloons to central Texas.

Screenshot from the power point shown to Leander council:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHitL-ZFzLf/

This video was shown to the city council.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t03q3Tv4PzE

The new Mayor mentioned stuff like this during her campaign and won. She answered a few questions on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Leander/comments/n3qo1n/comment/gwvfv77/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

In the end, the winter storm doomed Troy Hill. Leander didn't invest in their water system, and while neighboring cities had backup generators for their water systems, Leander did not and residents went weeks with no water or boiling water right before the election. If you had a $500-1M home with no water, you weren't a happy camper, especially when the folks down the block had no problems with clean water during the winter storm.

/edit I'd probably would have liked San Antonio or El Paso if I lived in those areas.. :/ Oh well .

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 11, 2022

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i had pretty good mexican food in san antonio, here’s a picture op

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Any fun stories of oddities this produced?

There's a plant that processes biofuels or some poo poo and they collect grease from restaurants and process it or whatever they do. It is closely surrounded by a neighborhood right on the outskirts of the inner loop and the area routinely smells like a loving grease trap lmao

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I've got a song for u op it loving rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbH60wCO-Yw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Big K of Justice posted:

Lived in Texas for almost 4 years in the Austin area.

It's... ok I guess? Just not for me. Weird that California lives rent-free in some Texans' heads because I never really heard of Texas that much when I lived in LA or SF. But here? Boy Howdy. Mention California to some folks and they spin off into a rant.

"Well if you don't like it, move back to California" Uh, yeah ok I will.

Also LOL @ cheap taxes. Everything is dogpiled on suburban sky high property taxes since all the small towns pay squat, anyone in industry pays squat, and farmers and anyone rural finds a way to grab an AG exemption and pays nothing yet somehow the Republicans are running this year on a platform of reducing property taxes. :v:

Cedar Park, TX has a mining quarry that has blasting operations that go off twice a week, even with those monster dump trucks. The thing is, its surrounded by subdivisions. People new to the area move in and are surprised by the shaking earth and explosions a few times each week. I had a realtor advise me to avoid certain neighborhoods near that area for that reason. Other than that its an ok suburb.

At least compared to Leander, TX, the worst example of a bedroom community. 98% subdivisions, no other real services other than a few strip malls. No stadium, no hospital, just wall-to-wall housing sprawl. Good thing they are right next to Cedar Park where residents can get medical services and real shopping done.

The ex-mayor, Troy Hill, who was voted out last year was a turbo-chud, his grand scheme was this:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2020/10/15/leander-announces-proposed-1-billion-mixed-use-development-featuring-lagoon/114404806/

Which was to build an artificial lake/beach around a new proposed mall. Except they didn't plan out the water/flood management that well. The local lakes and water management people were like "no way we are giving you water to do this" and their plan, to obtain the huge amount of water to maintain this thing was to .. no poo poo.... built a monorail.

A monorail that zips to the Gulf of Mexico to transport water via giant balloons to central Texas.

Screenshot from the power point shown to Leander council:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHitL-ZFzLf/

This video was shown to the city council.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t03q3Tv4PzE

The new Mayor mentioned stuff like this during her campaign and won. She answered a few questions on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Leander/comments/n3qo1n/comment/gwvfv77/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

In the end, the winter storm doomed Troy Hill. Leander didn't invest in their water system, and while neighboring cities had backup generators for their water systems, Leander did not and residents went weeks with no water or boiling water right before the election. If you had a $500-1M home with no water, you weren't a happy camper, especially when the folks down the block had no problems with clean water during the winter storm.

/edit I'd probably would have liked San Antonio or El Paso if I lived in those areas.. :/ Oh well .

Texans are the big league of dumb mother fuckers and it's not even close.

Zeluth posted:

Better than Florida.

Not even. (theres a lot more texans)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Gentle Autist posted:

i had pretty good mexican food in san antonio, here’s a picture op

i rate this food 6/10. also its on that riverwalk so its probably overpriced.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

There's a town outside of Galveston that bears the name of the state, Texas City.

It's home to a lot of refineries and perpetually smells like a rancid fart.

The locals call it Texas lovely.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

ive been told that in the 80s, when ecastasy was still legal, you would just walk into bars in TX and buy it from the bartender

exxplains a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyGp98Xoq9g

Gunna see em this Sept at the Metro in Chicago! :awesomelon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Mia Antifa posted:

all hail west texas