Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

death cob for cutie posted:

can we send mr. steak to the championships even though he's banned

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

death cob for cutie posted:

to celebrate a new thread, post your favorite mafia thing that you or someone else did

There's been a lot of fun things but for absolute favourite, it's too hard to top YOLO FRONTLINE

Just seeing everyone's horrified reactions roll in as our soldier game's first ever battle lineup was revealed. With me, the load-bearing thread leader, standing right there in the front line. On N1.

I had an item that'd nullify almost everything that targeted me but they didn't know that lol

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Insandenza posted:

Sir Mix-A-Lot fake claim in Butt Mafia that carried the scum team to victory.

Link plz

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

birdstrike posted:

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706186]

The first auspol Mario game.

To this day I still always think back to Mafio as the platonic ideal of town eating itself.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm happy one of my games was someone's choice.

Getting to openly scumclaim to coordinate with the other scum team was fun as hell in Final Fantasy 4, I keep telling people about it all the time

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

flerp posted:

dont remember the game, but binus claimed cop in an open setup and then got obviously lunched when the cop counter claimed him. also in that game it was down to four people (scum, sk, two vts [me and hal]) and the only way out for town was to lunch one of the vts (me, and it was plurality so someone had to be lunched) and hope the scum and sk kill each other. which they did

I remember that game! Well, not the title of it, but I remember that happening. I also remember believing binus before he got lunched, cause he suddenly came out swinging with such an impassioned explanation for why he'd done the silly gambit and who he thought was scum. Gave me such a weird first impression of him...

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks for all the work on VF, Alli!

And nice to see you MMM!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Insandenza posted:

Seems like we are really devaluing the birthday wishes in here

Elon Musk wishes dogecoin a happy birthday

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Happy birthday Sandwolf!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Voodoofly posted:

Mafia games used to be numbered. Every game that came after those first thirty or so are basically not canon

Someone run Danganmafia V3

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

birdstrike posted:

I always said discord was bad and finally the data is in!

Discord is good, it's voice friend that's bad

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I've stayed here the whole time and I think Mafia's actually been revived already! Yami's first Gnosia game brought in some great new blood, and there have been more waves of cool new folks popping in ever since then.

But it never hurts to have another one.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mordiceius posted:

Also - goddamn that drama. I was part of the Riven game (spent 99% of my time extremely confused) and had no idea that poo poo was going on.

The seeds were planted from the start with stuff just being an unhealthy environment in general. But the main drama they mentioned in SAD was from later games than that. There was one really contentious bit right near the very end of Riven, and a lot of people might have either ignored it or checked out before then. It didn't get much attention at that time unless you hung around to do lots of postgame chat.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sub Rosa posted:

It is incomplete to portray Mafia as being just a game of social deduction. It's also a game of social manipulation. There is an overlap between tactics of manipulation and tactics of abuse.

There is some truth to this. It's not enough to figure out who's the scum, you also need to sway and convince people to listen to you and vote for who you think is scum. Or, if you are scum, you need to convince people that someone telling the truth is wrong.

This easily leads to heated feelings, when people get frustrated at not being believed or understood, or listened to. When they can't be sure if someone's misinterpretation is willful, or if they're saying what they actually believe.

Everyone's got different comfort levels for this, but it's pretty much baked into the concept of Mafia no matter what you do.

This is just speaking for myself but I imagine some other people feel similarly - I can enjoy going through that kind of frustration in Mafia and keep coming back for more, cause I have full power to fight back for myself and argue like hell. Compared to real life conflicts that could have big social or career consequences, this is like a safe playground to deal with that kind of conflict over something that's minimal stakes. People can get invested in the moment trying to win the game for their team, but the nature of the game also makes it short and over with quickly.

Another nice thing about the Mafia community is that practically anyone can run their own game pretty easily if they got the time for it and a fun idea. If you got a problem with some players or mods who always clash with you, there's always other games run in different styles by different people. That makes it a lot easier to keep at it and not be excluded if you aren't in one particular in-group.

If anything, a lot of the reason I was so upset at the drama I mentioned in SAD is cause I had such high expectations for something that branched off from the Mafia community. In play-by-post Mafia, we all have to use our words. We'll have conflicts flare up, people will say their piece, then quickly sort them out and move on to the next game. If people got problems with how a game was set up, that's also easily talked about. Practically every game will have people openly talking shop afterwards, about what roles they liked or disliked or what things they thought didn't quite work, and it's not taken as some huge slight on the mod's honor. I was used to that, and it drove me mad wondering why it was all so much harder in RPG land.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Snooze Cruise posted:

has mafia adopted the art form of "kayfabe" while i wasn't paying attention to this thread or is re-reg just like this?

Just like what? I don't think it's odd at all for someone in the new crowd to feel a little weirded out by the avalanche of old players, and feel unsure about it. And I totally agree with his point that mafia has been doing fine the whole time.

t a s t e posted:

my second reeeee-reg

Dude

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jen X posted:

I'd nominate bif as an extremely good person who's been playing for a while (if not since, like, prehistory) but I think he'd reject it out of hand

Of course I would, Jen you were IN the soldiers game what the absolute gently caress lmao

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

"of course I would" meaning of course I would reject it, in case that wasn't clear, good lord do not even hand me even minimal meaningless responsibility

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shellception posted:

If we absolutely need an IK I agree with whoever said Grandicap would be a great one. Bif too, but I don't think she wants to be?

In all seriousness, if there is anything actually useful that could be done in the role of IK, there's a decent chance I might be too busy with kid or work or whatever at the rare time it needs doing, and it would just put more stress in my life to feel bad about failing at such a low-workload job.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hello, I'm Bif, I'm the "enjoys getting any pronouns" type of enby mom, getting either he or she is a little more fun to me than "they", but seriously not fussed about it

My first Mafia games were Auspol-only ones, but I crossed over to the rest of the TG crowd when CPig started running his Final Fantasy games.

I posted a bit earlier about how I like to play Mafia cause it's like a playground for conflict in a place where it doesn't really matter. I like to cultivate a persona for this game, of thirsting for townie blood and so on, just to embrace the fact that I will be constantly wrong. But in real life I'm extremely conflict averse!

One other big reason I like to play Mafia is cause it creates so many crazy stories and fun memories. So it's very hard to pick one. But the one with the undeniably greatest impact on my life was- gdi efb lol

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh right before I got distracted seeing Nat had brought up Shine V first, I was gonna post that a fun thing about me is I love karaoke, and sometimes try and perform mashup versions by singing different lyrics over a karaoke track. The wildest one I ever got away with was William Maranci's "Bohemian WAPsody".

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

My Second Re-Reg posted:

lmao your mom is badass

:emptyquote:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Squiggly posted:

Thanks, yeah there's no need for mine now

Sure there is, get a couple more games on that list and we can run Too Much Mafia Mafia, a game for 9 players

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

I'm getting married today! Savahontas and I first met in VOTE1's Slenderman mini-Mafia in 2009. I wanted to honor that part of our relationship with a gift I received many moons ago from Little Mac. I feel in some ways indebted to the community for my present happiness, she doesn't play anymore but it is fun to read back through our cringey private messages here. Thank you, Mafia community.

Fun details like that really make things extra special. Congrats Somber!! :dance:

CapitalistPig posted:

Congrats! You're one of my favorite mafia people so it makes me happy to see you happy bud!

And what he said

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Grandi, Opop, I don't care who, I need that lasagna

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Fakeclaim Mafia is now accepting signups! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050531

Ever claimed a role that you wish was actually real? Join and make that dream come true!

If you don't want to play, but have a really great role, let me know and maybe someone else will get it!

Hmm, only really clever one I remember off the top of my head is General Leo the 4x Vidge, but that feels a bit played out rn lol

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

A ton of townies dying is a statistic, a missed chance at killing scum is a tragedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks for the huge trip report, that all sounds loving awesome!

I'm not sure when I'll get around to visiting the States again, but sounds like I'll need to work in a Twin Cities leg of the journey after Chicago. My folks might be up for coming along, they also love escape rooms ever since we did a cool one together on their last visit to Australia.