Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shellception posted:

I know! Sorry if the wording was unclear. The time of 90+ player games has long passed, I agree.

90+ players???

Holy poo poo... This will need a couple more vigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm interested in playing some forums mafia but I've only ever played in-person mafia/werewolf/witch hunt and so I'm not at all familiar with some of the crazier or more involved mechanics that exist in some SA mafia games, so personally I would welcome some simpler games as an intro, maybe even as a sort of "new player" drive. Like even if the timing was better for me, I'd hesitate to join the Rimworld 2 mafia game because it looks like there's quite a bit going on mechanically, and also I know nothing about Rimworld.

Though for all I know there are plenty of "beginner" games and I just never check at the right time. Do pretty much all new games get linked in here when they're recruiting players?

This thread and the discord: https://discord.gg/xT5vBE5MkY

Currently the only game that's recruiting is Rimworld, but a few other people have said they'd start a smaller game.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mordiceius posted:

Well thanks to some small tweaks from Voodoofly, my 15 person Mistborn themed game will be ready to run whenever people want a new game.

Yes please sign me up I want to stab people with fancy glass daggerd

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shellception posted:

I'm all for this. If we need names, and apart from the mods themselves, I actually think Voodoo, Hal, Grandi, Opopanax as players that have been here a long time, know basically everyone around the old and new community and are reasonable, levelheaded people can all do a great work on that front. For newer, active people, Cloacamazing!, wologar and HyperCrabTank all started playing in the last year and all are also extremely reasonable people that can be trusted, IMO.

Also nobody get offended I didn't list them, please, lol.

Sandwolf and I take care of the Mafia Discord and both of us are more than willing to listen and help anyone as needed! BUT I feel this is better kept separate from us - concentrating all the control in the same people is never good.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I'll say that I have found this a pretty understanding community in general, and while it's become very obvious over the last days that it hasn't always been this way, it currently feels like a good place to be. If anybody needs someone to talk to about anything, issues with people, mafia burnout, etc, feel free to contact me here or on Discord.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

chaoslord posted:

Some people perceived M2RR’s post as being dismissive of older players and rude/aggro and so they met it where they thought it was. Wasn’t the threads greatest moment but they all seemed to have more or less worked it out.

I wouldn't really call that "worked it out". This thread has seriously sucked for the past days. From my point of view, a bunch of people who I'd never played with came in and started talking about how mafia was dead, how it had changed, and then attempted to order everybody around. The first person to complain about this was ganged up on. When people pointed this out, their concerns and that of the players who had contacted them were dismissed with stuff like "That's just how mafia is", "We've always talked like that", and so on.

This is not okay.

"Don't be a dick" is a ground rule for mafia games for a reason. We are playing games that require us to lie to and manipulate people due to their nature. I'm sure everybody here can attest to the fact that this can take a toll out of people, has led to friction in the past and will continue to do so in the future. It works out for the most part because of two things. One, that we all understand it's just a game. Two, because there are lines that we do not cross. Personal attacks. Antagonism. Actually being rude and hurting people's feelings.

If someone tells you that you have crossed this line, apologize.

I don't give a gently caress if you think you did nothing wrong and the other person is being a whiny pissbaby. I don't give a gently caress if you did nothing wrong and the other person is in fact being a whiny pissbaby. You stop, and you don't continue and you do not insist that you did nothing wrong and continue to do what you did before.

The past pages of this thread are filled to the brim with people and situations that disregarded this and kept digging themselves in. I do not like this, and I do not want to play with these people. And I doubt I'm the only one.

If you are new here, or if you are an older player who wants to return now, that's wonderful. Come hang out with us. If you're only here to stir up poo poo and create drama, go the gently caress away.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
If you actually think my goal with that post was to build a giant ignore list of people who have not apologized in the correct way and to discourage the reporting of abuse, kindly go gently caress yourselves.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It's loving great. After several days of seeing people get ganged up in this thread I finally build up my courage to say something and the next thing that happens it several people accuse me of loving enabling abusers. Wonderful. Sweet. Great. I'm out.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Scientastic posted:

Isn’t the core of this that you can be combative and test the limits in a game (because it is a game) but if someone says you’ve crossed a line, you need to acknowledge that, apologise and try not to do so in future?

I don’t think anyone would disagree with that, surely?

I said that. This happened:

CCKeane posted:

I do think an important item that's relevant here and does give me some concern about a hardline stance on backing off, is that that the involved Riven/IMG team used language to shut down complaints by establishing that the complainers crossed a line, were out of line, gas lighters, abusers, etc. So I do have a concern there.

Jump King posted:

Agreed, the whole thing there was that you couldn’t say poo poo because that wasn’t nice and would cause conflict.

Personally I agree with snooze that it seems way less inviting when there are big posts about how people joining the thread are posting wrong. Like, is that me? Are you guys telling me to gently caress off? It sure feels like it, but I’d much prefer you just said it to me rather than post about how some posters need to gently caress off.

CCKeane posted:

Right, I think it's important to flag it though since we want a robust system/philosophy that can include handling something like that.

I do agree with this underlaying points for sure, and I think folks immediately getting aggressive and defensive, especially multiple people, was pretty bad.

So a thing that I've seen and that has happened to me that's more in line with the other day is a situation where somebody says something in a rude way, somebody responds emotionally, and the emotional person is considered the one that crossed the line because it's more visible, even if the initial comments were rude or over the line. I do kinda think sometimes that it can flip to "the wronged person didn't respond correctly so they're the wrong one", and I would definitely like to prevent that.

I also do think this is relevant! People will have different tolerances for pressing/manipulating people and what they consider acceptable and game relevant, and I do think that's going to be challenging to figure out across the board.

CCKeane posted:

Right, so a major issue that happened recently is people felt that they couldn't talk openly about what happened because people called them dicks/abusers for raising the issue, and responded aggressively that they were crossing a line for discussing it with other players/raising the issue. This isn't a hypothetical situation, it's something that happened directly, right?

I mean, honestly, I feel like throughout this I've been concerned about addressing/preventing the issues that arose elsewhere from happening again, and this feels really dismissive, right? Like, I'm using specific examples and concerns, and it's called loving outrageous, and I don't think that's fair.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Okay, here goes:

I'm Cloacamazing! (the exclamation point is very important), usually called Cloaca or Clo. She/her. My first mafia game was Videogame mafia where I successfully managed to defend a lurking scum, got named the towniest person by someone who flipped scum right after and was summarily eliminated D3 after the cop investigated me, saw I was town and hammered me because they were certain I had to be a Godfather. Good game, that. I have several great mafia memories, but my favorite would be Multiverse of Mafness, where my scummate binus vigged me D1 for towncred, then got nightkilled by the second mafia team for being too town.

What I like about playing mafia is that when the game's over, no matter if we've won or lost, we can look back on it, see the full story and laugh about what happened.

As for fun facts:

I may have a slight obsession with baby seals.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Scientastic posted:

This is the first thing anyone has posted that has made me genuinely uncomfortable.

This isn’t an awkward work ice-breaker, I’m not posting any of that poo poo, I’m perfectly fine with playing mafia with people who don’t know the real me.

If that means I don’t get to be part of the gang, that’s fine, I’ve never felt like part of the vet crew and I am too old to be a newbie hugging sharing type, I’ll just remain standoffish and British.

Please don't feel like you're forced to do that. I think Ecco just wanted to move all the posting energy to something less volatile. If you don't want to do an intro post, that's completely fine and as far as I'm concerned you can consider yourself part of any gang you want to be part of, and if you want to form a gang of standoffish British people that consists of only you, that's cool too.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Maerlyn posted:

binus will soulread and name all the scum on D1 so I agree

And then get eliminated D1 for refusing to explain himself.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

death cob for cutie posted:

I'm gonna shart my loving jorts

Jose Valasquez posted:

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029128

Musical Mafia, a game for 17 players, is up!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mordiceius posted:

Mistborn: Chaos in Luthadel has ended in a ===Skaa Rebel (Scum team) clean sweep victory===

Hell yeah, viva la revolucion! I mean, this happens roughly every hundred years and never lasts, but, you know, I'm sure they feel proud of themselves.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ilmucche posted:

I had an idea like that, but everyone had a one shot dayvig no restrictions. I figured I'd just say "go" and then half the players would be dead before halfway through day 1

Paging Iggy for "Oops, all vigs!". Includes the Poisonvig, Stumpvig, Fakevig, and many more!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Squiggly posted:

We have a lot of games running? I could put one together but fair warning that it's a bastard mod type game

Running: The Passage, Pinball, Numberwang, Musical

Recruiting: Touhou, Hoverboard, Spelling Bee

I think that's the full list.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
We're considering "Roles that died way too early" mafia.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Musical Mafia has ended in a TOWN victory ! Congratulations to the winners and thank you for playing! I had a blast modding this!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Oh you got cheated there, my sponsors pay me per vote. Why do you think I always look so scummy? Gotta make rent. I'm also working as an independent journalist covering mafia games.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Cluedo Mafia (15 player, item-based role-madness-adjacent) is now taking signups: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032293

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
My drawing skills are scummy though.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Cluedo Mafia ended in a TOWN victory with bonus Cluedo orthowin for Iggy Meen! Thank you for playing!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Opopanax posted:

Grandi, I need you to make a new cookfia, quickly

Grandi, I need you to give me a N0 vig for the new Cookfia so I can nip this in the bud.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
They said it was impossible, but I wouldn't put it past Clo to make this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037837

Umineko Mafia is here! Role-madness style mafia for 23 players.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know enough about mafia or Jane Austen to do it justice

I'll help! I already have some half-baked plans for a Jane Austen Mafia.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Umineko Mafia ended in a ROSA + TOWN + BEATRICE + BEATORIIIICHE + CAT victory!. Also the thread is 130 loving pages long how

Ah, right.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

death cob for cutie posted:

how the gently caress did someone make four hundred posts more than the number 2 poster

That's our WindwardAway!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
##feed homunculus

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Hooray!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Oops All Arsonists?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Janes Austen themes WIFOA by siv and me, 13-17 players, now accepting signups. Come for the fancy ball, stay for siv snarking through the entirety of Jane Austen's bibliography!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045079

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Hey everyone! That other Secret Santa has no rule against bees!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Opop stole Christmas!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Fakeclaim Mafia is now accepting signups! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050531

Ever claimed a role that you wish was actually real? Join and make that dream come true!

If you don't want to play, but have a really great role, let me know and maybe someone else will get it!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Omg clo thank you so much for sending me bees all the way from the other side of the world!

You're welcome!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I promised bees, I delivered bees.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

MockingQuantum posted:

as a community service, I've endeavored to be such a perpetual dumbass that most players wouldn't feel that bad voting me out D1 as a sacrificial goat, but for some reason it hasn't worked so far

That's because Sandwolf keeps accidentally shooting you.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I got books from salad-Santa! "The Overstory" by Richard Powers and "Wagnerism - Art and Politics in the Shadow of Music" by Alex Ross. Looking forward to them, thanks!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Fake Claim Mafia has ended in a Literally last minute TOWN victory! Also TiredMoritz achieved his orthowin!! Thank you for playing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Literally Villains Mafia, a role madness game for 17 players is now taking signups: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052995