Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

mega dy posted:

Dibs after these games finish up, I'm gonna run DYFOA it has nothing to do with WIFOA and is totally a different concept entirely, thank you.

Merk you do IP defense right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Max posted:

My account on these forums is somehow 20 years old.

I'm feeling nostalgic, and just wanted to pop in and say that in those two decade, this is probably the community I've stuck around the most. I know I haven't posted much in the last few years, but I just wanted you all to know I still read and think about this community every once in a while. Hope everyone is well.

Welcome to the club. And basically the same sentiments.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

This is just an anonymous tip to a potential secret santa: the gift I had on order just got cancelled, so you might be getting your gift a little later than I hoped.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

drat I had an eventful week

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

and OA is *BRITISH*

yeah they eat eels as pudding and pie, not jellied. show some respect to british cuisine

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Shipping is still a mess all over so it's not an issue, or even if time just slipped away and you forgot that's fine too, I just need to know before I show up to your house with my henchmen

Happy Late Christmas because nobody will ship me anything to get to you.

I had a set of the Marvel Hip Hop Covers on order with my local comic shop, but after three weeks of delays that order was cancelled and I can't find anyone else who can get it.

Then I figured that anyone who was willing to make the masterpiece of a Timpano would love a set of Kunz Spoons, but sadly after a couple small delays I was just told that I shouldn't expect them until March 2023.

So can you add me as a friend on Steam and I'm getting you some fun games. I sent you a request.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Mafia games used to be numbered. Every game that came after those first thirty or so are basically not canon

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Shellception posted:

Brb, running Something Awful Mafia ~1395.

Pretty sure we used Roman numerals back then.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Well in that case, I should finish polishing up the design for a 15 person game: Mistborn: Chaos in Luthadel.

Is there anyone that would be willing to skip playing in order look over the design of this game?

Hit me up. I am probably taking a little recharge break after rimworld

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

wins32767 posted:

Taste asked me to run another NYC game. How much interest would there be in a CYOR with possible post restrictions?

Wins!!!!!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a list of people that we nominate as resources for someone to talk to about any problems, potential problems, abuse, need for support, etc. and to have those people listed in the OP of every game so that you would (hopefully) be able to contact one or more of them that are not directly involved in the game itself and not worry about talking about a game out of game etc

I honestly believe that everyone currently in the community who is modding games would be completely willing and able to act as such a listening post for any player in the game, but also want to recognize that at least the option to talk to someone not connected to the game but who has experience with mafia and player base as a whole would definitely help create an additional support structure should anyone need it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I've been on this forum for over 20 years and I still have no clue what the hell an Idiot King is or does so I could care less about who gets what.

All I want is to make sure that everyone who ever plays in a game understands that the SA Mafia community takes a lot of pride in being a safe, respectful, inclusive and inviting space, and that if anyone ever encounters anything or anyone who makes them feel uncomfortable, threatened, abused, angry, or even unsure of how they feel, there are many people here, both within and outside of the SA Mafia community, who are happily willing to listen, provide support, and enact change to make the community better for everyone.

The SA Mafia Community, including me, has been far from perfect in the past. I know a few players in the old days that stopped playing because of the hostility they faced in and out of games, and in my direct knowledge that hostility was especially harsh towards people who did not identify as cis-male posters (as was most of these forums, and the internet, and life).

The SA Mafia Community (and hopefully me) are in a much better place now than at any time I have been associated with the community. I'd like to see that trend continue, and to enact anything we can do to support it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I should say up front I don't think there should be a mafia IK. If the TG forum needs an IK, pick one that works for the forum. If there is a desire to install a bunch of IK's make a new thread and have it open to everyone in TG to discuss and consider.

Otherwise, though, I'd much rather have a big list of people in the mafia community (old, new, whatever) that people can be referred to, preferably a list that constantly changes. The bigger the better, as a community shouldn't be defined by one, or even a few, select people. And if someone doesn't feel comfortable discussing the issues within the community, then the next step should be to someone NOT involved with mafia, like Leper and Anti. I mostly know leper from bitching about San Francisco but they have always seemed cool. I know Anti from Thunderdome and I can't think of a better person as an outside resource to the community.

Honestly, if there is a Mafia IK I think it should be someone who is relatively new to the scene, not someone with long ties to the people that might be causing the problems. The need for escalation outside of the community is partly to ensure you aren't dealing with inherent power structures and existing relationships and biases (or even just perceived biases).

So, yeah, I don't really care if TG installs an IK, but I really don't like the idea of some perceived position of power or responsibility that is directly related to the SA Mafia Community.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Shellception posted:

I don't think this is reasonable, no, at all. And this is not aimed at you, mind, but I also don't think it's reasonable to tell people who regularly or semi-regularly play right now that they need to have been there for longer to have an opinion. I've been here for a bit and modded for a bit, too, you know it, and I only know like half of the people posting right now, and most of them I know from seeing them around because I do hang out in both Discords. It's not an issue of them vs us, it's a "we are going to play together so let's try to have a community, not two halves of one"

If we absolutely need an IK I agree with whoever said Grandicap would be a great one. Bif too, but I don't think she wants to be?

If we're going to do the list of trusted people, we should start nominating before we run the mods out of there, I think.

quote:

The SA Mafia community takes a lot of pride in being a safe, respectful, inclusive and inviting space. If you ever encounter anything or anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable, threatened, abused, angry, or even unsure of how you feel, there are many people here, both within and outside of the SA Mafia community, who are happily willing to listen, provide support, and enact change to make the community better for everyone. Here is a short list of only some of the people that other players have suggested as a resource that you should never hesitate to contact: Leperfish, Antivehicular, Sandwold, Shellception, Grandicap, Hal Insandenza, Wologar, Maerlyn, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Cloacamazing!, Oppopanix (certainly spelled wrong), Bifauxen, [insert one or more people here].

Take it, change it, completely rewrite it, add it to the OP, add it to your games, change the names as you see fit.

Edit: to make it clear I don't think we should have an official nominated list. I think everyone should feel free to add or change the names they want to provide as they see fit, as things change, whatever. I just want to let people know there exists a large support network and a desire to keep this place from being an abusive environment (I would say keep it from being a shitshow but then it wouldn't be mafia).

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 23, 2023

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Look can we move a random game out of here and also stop with shitposting for at least a little while to try and actually get some consensus on how to make our community better.

This entire discussion is related to people feeling uncomfortable and not feeling comfortable about speaking up. I've had multiple conversations today with people who have said they feel uncomfortable with some of the recent discussions, specifically ignoring people's views, or telling them to gently caress off. It isn't helping. It doesn't matter who you are, how many or few games you have played, whatever. Everyone's voice should be heard and considered.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

t a s t e posted:

I don't care to compare minor routine flames to long-term harrassment and abuse. If this community doesn't want the spicy give-and-take that it used to have, that's totally fine, but the equivocation is inappropriate to me.

You don't get to decide what is or is not worthy of being "uncomfortable" in a situation, or what is or what is not equivalent. Nobody does. That is the entire point.

People right now do not feel comfortable and I, and others, are asking people to back off for the moment so that everyone feels safe to post in here.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

redneck nazgul posted:

I hate the old me. Can I say that?

Seriously. I went through an old game of mine and I wanted to report me for abuse. I'm sorry to everyone who had to endure that.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

t a s t e posted:

I love myself and all of you as well

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I'm Voodoofly (he/him/whatever).

I learned mafia in 2001 or so working with unhoused and at risk teenagers in a group therapy program that was offered as an alternative to juvie for kids who were picked up on minor offenses. There was a lot of conflict in those games as those kids didn't trust anyone and were often hyper defensive. It was usually simple setups, with maybe a cop or doc. We had to break up a lot of potential fights in those games, but on the other hand, they had a standing rule to execute anyone who claimed cop, so in a way those kids remain my mafia heroes. But I never realized that it would be a game that would remain a significant influence over a large portion of my life.

My first internet game here was something I already forgot in 2007 despite JoseV showing me the game like 24 hours ago. The first game I remember was Tom Tucker's Heroes game, where as scum we won in what would probably considered a very unbalanced and scum friendly setup. I of course gloated like an rear end in a top hat after that game was over. I was an arrogant prick in a lot of those early games, and I get really embarrassed even thinking about how I used to play.

I've had at least two main mafia eras on these forums. First was from the early days until 2012 or so. In 2008 I had a major spinal surgery, in the middle of the financial crisis, when my then job went bankrupt while I was recovering in the hospital. I spent a couple years learning to walk, finding a job, and then finding a job in the same state that I lived in, and mafia and the people in this community helped me get through a lot of bad days during that time. I think I stopped playing around 2012 because my life had finally returned to a somewhat normal state of being, and I associated mafia with a lot of the anger, fear, and frustration of those previous years. I realized I had used mafia as an outlet for all those bad feelings, many times not in a healthy way. As I am wont to do, I basically made an unannounced clean break from the community. I ghosted a lot of people I considered friends, many of them still in the community today. Some who are not. I still feel bad for breaking those friendships, especially with those people who aren't around anymore.

Fast forward to 2020. We were all in a pretty rough place during those early Covid days, but I was feeling especially anxious and detached from the world. I had spent the last few years actively trying to emigrate from the US (based largely in part from the spinal surgery and ramifications of losing health insurance during that time), and in February 2020 my wife and I signed job offers in Vancouver, BC, and we were set to move to Canada with our three year old, little fly. We were expecting to get our Canadian work visas in mid-March, 2020, and move up in April, 2020. Covid laughed at that idea. Spending years trying to make an international move happen, only to have it yanked out from under us, in the midst of a global pandemic, was pretty soul crushing.

Then I got a random message from Kloaked, asking if I wanted to play in the Good Place. Here was a community that I had basically abandoned that welcomed me back with open arms, right at the time I felt most alone. That message is my favorite mafia memory, because over these last three years (holy poo poo 3!!!) the SA Mafia community has been a warm beacon in many cold times. I've made and remade a lot of friends and had a lot of great times in and outside of the games we play here. This was especially true during that first year of Covid and then in 2021 when I finally moved to a new city, and new country, experiencing the loneliness of rebuilding a life and social network from scratch during a global pandemic.

I have had plenty of other great memories as well, although if I'm being honest almost all of the ones that immediately come to mind have been in the last few years. Seeing that people took my stupid WIFOA format and ran crazy with it. Watching Grandi try to build a 1000+ word role PM in Cookfia after Shell organized every observer to gift me every spice imaginable. Being a part of Hal's 500th game. Breaking Grandi's charging vig role by vigging scum merk on day 1 with it. Seeing how people have grown up, started families, careers, and otherwise made really cool lives for themselves. Learning how amazing masonries are through the sharing of pet pics. Having sandwolf play pokemon with little fly last year in Boston and remembering that this really cool guy used to be a snot nosed teenager in my early games who complained about deadline times because they were when he was in class. And definitely seeing so many new players come in and completely destroy me game after game.

So probably too much info but this community has meant a lot to me over the years and I just want to pay it due respect. If I have come across as an rear end or jerk to you at any point, ever, I want to apologize now. I would say I didn't mean it when it happened but depending on how far back it was that might not be true. Hopefully I'll be in a game with you soon, and if you are ever anywhere near Vancouver BC you should hit me up for a place to crash or even just someone to show you around (seriously).

Oh yeah fun fact? Hell if I know.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 25, 2023

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Grandicap posted:

I think I still have my drink based version on my photo roll. God, I still remember the taste.
Here's a hint, don't make a vodka based drink with a chicken stock mixer.

Filed under things I would never need a hint about

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Green Wing posted:

Hell of a lot of mafia happening right now, eh? Not complaining, just striking.

What are people's opinions about "plurality at deadline, majority hammer before deadline immediately ends the day" setup? I have a game in my back pocket for when it's quieter and I have a fondness for plurality but I know opinions differ

I’ve run a lot of plurality games. Possibly more than majority. All of my plurality games still had a hammer if a majority was reached at any time.

They each have their pros and cons. One thing I like about plurality is I felt it was more fair sometimes for people who aren’t around at a deadline. Overall I don’t think plurality discourages posting but early game (like day 1) can definitely fee quieter in plurality because people just don’t have enough to go on. The majority threshold day 1 is an artificial mechanic in many ways that helps generate content. So if I was going to run a game tomorrow with plurality I’d probably consider something minor to help generate content day 1 and maybe day 2. Audience boons. A reward for the hammer or first vote on the execution. Maybe allowing players to vote on someone getting a random item or benefit. Forcing people to always have a vote down day 1. Or something better than any of that.

It doesn’t have to be much, but anything that helps people accuse other people to get the game rolling should more than make up for any lack of posting under plurality early in the day. Later in the game I’ve never seen plurality as causing a problem.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

My favorite cop was a scum cop whose entire role PM read:

ALIGNMENT: Scum
ROLE: Cop
DESCRIPTION: You know that there are no roles in this game that can determine alignment.

I'm sure I had a rolecop or two in that game as well.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

The first brain slugs game like 15 years ago every player had a one shot space harpoon vig. Surprisingly few were used from what I remember.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Grats Somber. Tell Sav we miss her

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

He's 11, and I've done a few kit things with him over the years he likes that stuff, but right now he's curious about actual coding and languages.

What kit things? Little fly is six and just starting to get interested so I was looking into like a cool science kit to build circuits and maybe some basic logic gates and such so any recs are welcome.

His dream right now is to build a Lego robot that will flush the toilet so I am very invested in making this dream a reality.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

There's all kinds at any toy or science store (if you guys are close to science world I'm sure the gift shop has some good stuff).

Yeah that would be smart.

We have an annual pass and I think I’m so used to “no we aren’t exiting through the gift shop” I never even thought to look there.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Do I have time to update my wishlist?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

To my Santa (Opop): gift is received but we are not opening it until Christmas as I was given a very long and thorough lecture from a six year old on why it was wrong to open a Christmas gift early.

To my Santee: there was a delay one one of your gifts so they are arriving on Dec 28-29 as of right now.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Bad news, everyone, it's been stolen this year

Thank you Santa!!!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

The perfect setup:

3 town watchers
3 town trackers
2 town cops
2 town millers
3 scum godfather ninjas

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

STONE COLD 64 posted:

also one cop is insane

Shhhhh, you are giving away our twist

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

girl dick energy posted:

code:
 perfect setup v3

3 town watcher masons
3 town tracker masons
3 town cop masons
3 town miller masons
3 scum godfather ninjas masons

each masonry includes one of each role

A more perfect union indeed

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

quote:

This masonry has been upgraded to a *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers*
This masonry has access to a communal **Weak** *Doctor* Power. At night, if the entire masonry agrees on a target, the masonry will use this power on the target. This power will be deactivated if the masonry ever drops to a single player. This is the masonry's action, not the action of it's members. If this power is used on a player who is **NOT TOWN** aligned, the *Doctor* power will stop being effective the following night, the masonry will not be informed that the *Doctor* power is no longer effective.
When the *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* targets a player with it's **Weak** *Doctor* power, it will steal the most valuable spice or spice blend from the target (value is determined by the sum of the cost of all spices in a blend). If a spice or spice blend is stolen, that player will be given a **Curing Salt** as recompence. The *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* has access to this spice or spice blend and can use its action on subsequent nights to use any stolen spices or spice blends instead of the **Weak** *Doctor* power. Any stolen spices can be used only if the entire masonry agrees on the target and the spice or spice blend being used. Any stolen spices can continue to be used by the masonry until they are exhausted, even if it only has 1 living member.
The *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* protects its members, even if they make a mistake. The __first time__ a member of the *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance* would be targeted with a killing action, they will survive by deploying lawyers to make the issue go away. The *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance* will not be informed when the *Malpractice Insurance* is triggered.
Any actions that target any member of the *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* will be randomly redirected to either a member of *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* or the *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* itself.

Cookfia

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Maybe next time

Did you combine them all at once? The secret is to combine one spice at a time, wait for Grandi to tell you the result, then go “hmmm, let’s add another spice” and repeat until the spectators stop gifting you spices to watch Grandi work at recreating the role with an additional spice included.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

This is more than a 2 game issue. I also think the intentionality isn’t the point. I’ve unintentionally said things that pushed peoples emotions and it’s very hard to apologize in game without throwing the game. But I did try to just back off and not continue it further, and then apologize after the game.

Like Opop said this is a party game and I think overall I’d rather lose a game than lose a friend trying to win a game regardless of what side I’m on in the situation.

There isn’t any exact solution, but I do think just a general reminder to think about how you might be affecting others beyond the game is fair. It’s a game we all get into the game and sometimes forget to pull out of it just for a minute before posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Going back to Shells' original post, though, we currently put responsibility on keeping the games fun and healthy on:

(1) the player who is getting emotional to be self conscious of the recognize and maybe chill or replace or walk away whatever, and
(2) the mod to try to help in a healthy way without destroying the game

I read her post as saying maybe we should add a third category:

(3) all of the other players to try and recognize if their own posts are accelerating the situation, intentionally or not, and just try to recognize if slightly altering your future posts might help the game overall.

I think most people do this naturally, and we are also all capable of not noticing how our own posts are coming off sometimes (if we did we would never get caught as scum). So I don't think it would be much to try to more formally stress all three of these ways for everyone to try and make the game fun for everyone