Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If you were immortal (or at least could not die until you decided to), how would you divvy up your time? Would you get all the videogames and stupid bullshit out of your system first, then spend the rest of eternity forming meaningful bonds and spending quality time with loved ones? Or would it be the reverse, where you live and love, do something good for the world and leave a legacy before settling down into a quiet eternity playing video games?

Personally I'm pretty sure probably spend a lot more time playing videogames or reading than I would doing "meaningful" activities but hey, maybe knowing I had all the time in the world would motivate me to make every second count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
50% trucking / 50% loving

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
There's a short story called the immortal, where those who can't die eventually become raving lunatics or totally catatonic.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nice Guy Patron posted:

There's a short story called the immortal, where those who can't die eventually become raving lunatics or totally catatonic.

I think stories like those are sour grapes stories to make us feel less bad about the inevitability of death.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I’d probably spend a lot of time hunting and decapitating other immortals, a lot more than I do now for sure.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'd live like crab at bottom of ocean

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nice Guy Patron posted:

Yeah but it's pretty sweet for the first couple billion years

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
To answer your question OP I'd probably dedicate a large portion of my time to bio-engineering a better rear end

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Applewhite posted:

I think stories like those are sour grapes stories to make us feel less bad about the inevitability of death.

The story doesn't end there. I don't really want to give away anything about it, but it ends with a positive view on life.
I've just always found that idea interesting. If you could live forever, would you tire of life?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Am I immortal in that I won't die naturally, or can't be killed?

If the second one, much of my time would likely be spent imprisoned in some strange contraption lest I break free to wreak havoc on the peasants of the countryside again.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Applewhite posted:

(or at least could not die until you decided to)

Sorry Applewhite, I skimmed over this part of your post. In the story the immortals cannot die and have no choice to do so.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Alternatively, I'd live on the moon

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

But also like a crab

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Carcinisation comes for us all.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Eh, who's well-adjusted enough to do either of those things.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Probably growing more and more worried about the inevitable heat death of the universe.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Definitely sleep more

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Who What Now posted:

To answer your question OP I'd probably dedicate a large portion of my time to bio-engineering a better rear end

Imagine the hubris of thinking you could engineer anything more perfect than the human rear end, it simply cant be done you madman

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RepeatingMeme posted:

Imagine the hubris of thinking you could engineer anything more perfect than the human rear end, it simply cant be done you madman

Check this: a second butthole only for porking so you don't gotta touch poo when you want a little backdoor action

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Get really fat, almost wormlike, and start a cult of warrior sex nuns

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Who What Now posted:

Check this: a second butthole only for porking so you don't gotta touch poo when you want a little backdoor action

sounds good, but you know people would just start filling both holes and we'd be back where we started

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i was gonna say take on a poo poo ton of debt but then i realized that'd actually be bad if you were immortal and then i realized that im not immortal so why am i not just taking on a poo poo ton of debt and doing cool stuff

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Who What Now posted:

The ever present danger is what keeps the thrill of porkin the poop chute taboo and exciting

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
One of my work bros told me he'd kill me and every one of his friends it it ment he could do magic

Don't worry he's gonna bring us back to life afterwards and make Pokemon and dragons real after he becomes a lich lord.

No please just leave me dead

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I'd just drift through the void

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFG9kdg2RI

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

is this the cool kind of immortality where eating/drinking/sleeping are optional, people have to really work for it if they want to kill you or else you'll just come back good as new the next day, and the worst that comes of having a building collapse on you is it takes a few months to shove all the rubble away? or is this the poo poo super-technical kind where all someone has to do is lock you in a box for a month and you come out with the size, consistency, and mental fortitude of a saltine cracker from dehydration/starvation because you haven't had any food or water or social contact in that time?

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

Get really fat, almost wormlike, and start a cult of warrior sex nuns

Yup

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

is this the cool kind of immortality where eating/drinking/sleeping are optional, people have to really work for it if they want to kill you or else you'll just come back good as new the next day, and the worst that comes of having a building collapse on you is it takes a few months to shove all the rubble away? or is this the poo poo super-technical kind where all someone has to do is lock you in a box for a month and you come out with the size, consistency, and mental fortitude of a saltine cracker from dehydration/starvation because you haven't had any food or water or social contact in that time?

Your choice. The important thing is how you spend your free time when unobstructed by people loving with you.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's immortality but it's powered by zucking dicks ah ah ah

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Am I also extremely wealthy? Because otherwise I’d still have to work to pay bills and stuff so I guess I’m just living my normal life but forever.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
99.99...% decaying orbit towards a black hole as the universe approaches heat death

Remaining time: other

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
When in complete isolation of the senses and from other people, the brain will go crazy and start making its own fun

After about a month I would be my own God and not know the difference

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I feel like there's enough to do that by the time you do an "everything" lap the things you started with will be pretty novel again. Tbqh the biggest hassle would be periodically reupping an identity.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Going insane is only bad if you belong in a society and depend on them for your survival. If you're an immortal being with no material needs floating alone between dying stars being batshit insane is practically part of your job description!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Imagine how long you could sit on the toilet if you’re immortal

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Applewhite posted:

Your choice. The important thing is how you spend your free time when unobstructed by people loving with you.

well hell then it's definitely the cool kind so I can play an earthbound Superman for 20-30 hours a week and spend the rest of the time on vacation/adventures/drugs/games/etc.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i don’t need to be immortal but this whole gamble of 50-100 years sucks poo poo.

200 MINIMUM IMHFO

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
id spawn camp for days years even

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

star eater posted:

i don’t need to be immortal but this whole gamble of 50-100 years sucks poo poo.

200 MINIMUM IMHFO

Nah gently caress that, a few days and no object permanence is all you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Do we age or just stay sexy forevs?