Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Postin and scratchin op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Elentor posted:

Would wait until everyone who loves me/would miss me passes and get on with the bolded part, which is easily the best feature of what you just described.

So you'd start right away, then?

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Does anyone have that video of the guy describing going to Heaven and eternity and then getting bored and saying well Ive done everything, I want to sleep now.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'd do what I do now, and try to keep a balance of things going on because just playing video games or just being productive or just being social all the time all get boring/exhausting. There are lots of things I'd like to do though, and I'd eventually get to pursuits lower down the priority list that I probably won't get around to in reality. Say, learning music.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Realistically, nothing could completely protect a person from disease, accident, assault and murder, just because the ageing process has been curtailed.

So after a few years of happiness I'd probably end up like Howard Hughes in his old age, isolated in a single room and very neurotically afraid of germs, people, war, contract killers, general public nutjobs, and more.

Of course, if any way is ever found to curtail ageing, the entire human race will be rapidly doomed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Will be?

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Greg of Doom posted:

Does anyone have that video of the guy describing going to Heaven and eternity and then getting bored and saying well Ive done everything, I want to sleep now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MToOECmwMB0

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
50 percent suckin 50 percent fuckin

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Greg of Doom posted:

This is why I hope there's no life after death. Sitting around conscious for an eternity in heaven or hell or anywhere sounds terrible. Just the cool embrace of the void for me thanks.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Outrail posted:

This is why I hope there's no life after death. Sitting around conscious for an eternity in heaven or hell or anywhere sounds terrible. Just the cool embrace of the void for me thanks.

this is why im 100 percent, don't even "get real", sy-op me, I'm talking on, wrapped around a hot dog with grey poupon.

word

Greg of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 20, 2022

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Finally get all my Warhammer 40K minis painted

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Theres no non white space marines

Is that who the orcs are meant to represeant

Tau is Scandinavian?

Zerg is Asian?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Greg of Doom posted:

You know you can paint them, right?

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Trollologist posted:

You know you can paint them, right?

LOl just lmfao

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Greg of Doom posted:

Yuh huh there are!
Salamanders are Black
Carcharodons are Māori
White Scars are Mongols
Rainbow Warriors are indigenous Central American
I'm sure there's others

Oh poo poo trap sprung

Now I have to live with literal eternal shame

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i dunno i'd probably just gently caress myself all day tbh

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It's still a tough question, because even though you're immortal you can still get FOMO from the world going on with or without you. Also, you'll always be aware, at least in the background, that the death of the Sun and all the rest of the stars is coming, so you'd still be under some kind of self-made pressure to "accomplish" whatever in a "limited" time frame.

I personally don't think the fantasy of immortality works unless you could also inhabit a guaranteed-to-be infinitely stable universe. To make it easy, let's say you can time travel, and that you also have access to infinite parallel universes so you wouldn't eventually overrun the current planet you're on with time traveling versions of yourself from other times crowding up the place, which would eventually happen over an infinite time frame in a single universe.

I've also always liked the idea that along with being immortal, you would exist in your own pocket timeline. So like if you were friends with another immortal and you guys wanted to hang out, you would always magically want to hang out at the "same time" so like you could visit a buddy, then spend 10 years doing something else, and then when you decide to hang out with them again, you just go visit them, and to you it's been 10 years but for them, it's been however long they wanted to go between visits with you. Let's say your immortal friend, also existing in their own pocket timeline, wanted to see you only like 8 years later. Well, it's fine because for you it's been 10 years and for your buddy, it's been exactly 8. So basically, the timelines of whoever you'd want to see would always just magically rejoin at the exact moments both of you wanted to see each other again and then desync when you parted ways.

Under these circumstances you'd truly have infinite time to do whatever you liked, with whoever you liked, on a schedule that would always work for everybody. Live how you want, time travel to a fresh new universe when the old one starts to wear out its welcome, visit whoever you want and it's always convenient, they always happen to be available and ready to see you. Personally I've only lived in these times, so I'd probably take the time to learn and do a whole bunch of stuff relevant to this era. I'd learn all the languages and instruments I've ever been curious about, get great and all the skills that impress me, play all the video games in my Steam library (not sure infinite time and universes would be enough tho).

I've always liked the idea that if I won the lottery and had effectively infinite money, I'd create an environment for me where I could feel like I'm actualizing myself. Maybe I'd start a business revolving around something I loved. No pressure to make money, instead I could just focus on getting to know cool people interested in the same things as me, and creating a cool space to hang out and just immerse myself in my thing, and because it would be some kind of business I could feel like I was doing it with a purpose.

If I had infinite time and resources and like the power of a deity or something, after I spent however long it took to learn everything I've ever been curious about and do everything I've ever wanted to do, I'd probably move on to do the same kind of thing I'd do if I won the lottery and create an environment for myself I'd love to be in, but with infinite time and ability, I'd probably do it on a bigger scale. Maybe I'd eventually try and create some kind of new planet (or thinking bigger, galactic community maybe) and build some kind of utopia out of it. Yeah, I think that would be cool.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 21, 2022

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

It's still a tough question

tldr

I'd go for a walk and then watch the sopranos

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If I were immortal I'd have time to read that post.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

tldr's don't exist when you're immortal.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If I were immortal I'd have time to read that post.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm as immortal as I'll ever be and I'm doing this.

So, there you go.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

No posts ITT for at least eight hours, meaning that between us we have already solved all issues re living forever in only three pages in good ol' GBS.

Impressive! Well done, goons.

Stoner Guy should clean his glasses lenses, and his camera lens too.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I plan to live forever. So far, so good.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
i dunno i'd probably just watch Junk loving themself all day tbh

Cinderful
Feb 12, 2006

Have a son and raise him to be the forum moderator of an eternal and well respected web community. Call him Hightax.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mostly sucking, some loving

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No more tremors. I have reached glee.

But G better have my money.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’d find a cave behind a waterfall where it went deep enough that you’d stay dry, but could still hear the water, then I’d do that 2/3rds asleep, 1/3rd awake, thing in there for as long as possible, because that’s feels pretty good. Then whenever I got restless I’d wander out of the cave and take in how fashion and hamburgers have evolved.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

mysterious frankie posted:

I’d find a cave behind a waterfall where it went deep enough that you’d stay dry, but could still hear the water, then I’d do that 2/3rds asleep, 1/3rd awake, thing in there for as long as possible, because that’s feels pretty good. Then whenever I got restless I’d wander out of the cave and take in how fashion and hamburgers have evolved.

Sawney Bean confirmed as immortal and still living among us.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Probably start a cult.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What does your cult have to offer? I have high standards.

mysterious frankie posted:

Can I join your eternal cult? I'll bring a few dozen thousand edibles.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
y'all aren't immortal???

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm inmortal

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Oolb posted:

y'all aren't immortal???

I mean, I am so far.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Sawney Bean confirmed as immortal and still living among us.

I never mentioned cannibalism. How did you know about all the cannibalism?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I’m in a mortal. OP’s mom

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

I feel like I could get some good mileage for a while out of getting answers to all of the universes mysteries. I'd just be sitting there asking God about aliens and JFK and what not until he sent me to hell to get me to shut the hell up.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

make some long term investments to collect in decades, form a trust with the earnings once it’s in the millions, hire trusted servants to manage the money and other servants to keep tabs on the first set of servants, live well and anonymously and then, probably some weird sex stuff