Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
Steaks

Not just an overcooked chunk of beef to enjoy on a Friday after your work in a country most Americans don’t even know exists. We’ve eaten that 4x9in well done chunk of beef with token grill marks. Paired with lobster tail, crab legs, shrimp, or reconstituted fried pollock to enjoy on a Surf and Turf Friday. Thankfully, we aren’t always constrained to enjoy beef cooked by third country national contractors cooking food within DoD food safety standards.

In this thread we will share the best Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures for steak cookery. We should also discuss the best sides and sauces for steaks, because without sides and sauce, who really wants to just eat meat?

My preferred methods of cooking steak include rare or medium rare steak. Both start with a New York Strip, approximately 1.5in (38mm) thick. Both need a solid cast iron pan and the old Army issued spoon (it is made of stainless steel and has the ideal depth and point) which is my preferred basting tool.

Method 1 (Rare) NY Strip:
- Pat the steak dry, salt and pepper both sides, and let it rest for 2 hours.
- 15 minutes prior to cooking, heat the pan with a clarified butter.
- Prep a peeled clove of garlic, thyme sprigs, and 2TB of butter. Set it to be ready.
- When the cooking oil schemes, place the steak down in the pan. Let it cook for approximately 7 minutes. Visually check the side of the meat, ensure that the proteins have coagulated at least one quarter the way up.
- Use tongs to sear the non-fatty long side. Hold the steak for 2 minutes. Flip to the fat side.
- Use tongs to sear the fatty long side for approximately 2 minutes. Flip to the uncooked flat side.
- Place on the flat side. Place butter, herbs, and garlic, and vigorously baste. Let sear for approximately 5 minutes.
- Take steak and place on an absorbent material, baste all herbs, garlic, and fats on top of the resting steak.
- Let rest for 10 minutes. Scrape everything off the top and move the steak to a plate. Enjoy. Eat it whole, cut it up and enjoy pieces, who cares, I’m not your boss.

Method 2 (Medium Rare) NY Strip:
- Heat the sous vide machine to 129F (54C).
- Pat the steak dry, salt and pepper both sides. Seal the steak in a bag (add optional aromatics: thyme, rosemary, garlic, etc.)
- Cook the steak in the sous vide for 1 hour. Pre-heat the pan 5 minutes prior to completion of the sous vide.
- Remove the steak from the sous vide bag, remove all debris, and pat dry.
- Place the steak in the pan, let it cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Flip the steak to the non-fatty side. Let it cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Flip the steak to the fatty side. Let it cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Flip the steak to the uncooked flat side. Place the butters, herbs, and garlic and vigorously baste. Let sear for approximately 5 minutes.
- Take the steak and place on an absorbent material, baste with all herbs, garlic, and fats on top of the resting steak.
- Let rest for 10 minutes. Scrape everything off the top and move the steak on to a plate. Enjoy. Eat it whole cut it up and enjoy in pieces, who cares, I don’t pay your paycheck.

Sides:

Roasted Fingerling/Young/Mini/Cut Up Potatoes:
- Pre-Heat your oven to 400F (200C). (Potentially less if convection)
- Wash and dry your potatoes.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil, unpeeled garlic cloves, herbs (thyme, rosemary, or other hearty herbs), salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes and herbs on a baking pan.
- Roast for 1 hour, remove from pan, and rest for 10 minutes.

Brussel Sprouts:
- Pre-Heat your oven to 400F (200C). (Potentially less if convection)
- Wash and dry brussel sprouts, cut them in half.
- Toss brussel sprouts with liquid aminos (or soy sauce), balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Ensure they are completely covered.
- Place on a baking pan, shake to ensure even spacing.
- Roast for 45 minutes, remove and rest for 5 minutes.

Sauce:

Red Wine Reduction:
- Heat a small pot with olive oil.
- Suate onion and garlic until aromatic.
- Add 1 cup (.25 liter) red wine. Heat to simmer/boil and reduce to half.
- Add 1 quart (1 liter) of beef stock/bone broth and reduce to one quarter.
- Finish with whole un-salted butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Please add your best methods, sides, and sauces. Let's all learn from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Finally stopped vomiting enough to post gently caress Brussel sprouts, they are the devils vegetable.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Burt posted:

Finally stopped vomiting enough to post gently caress Brussel sprouts, they are the devils vegetable.

Do not listen to this person.

Also, this is a phenomenal thread idea OP

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Do not listen to this person.

Also, this is a phenomenal thread idea OP

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

BaconAndBullets posted:

Sauce:

Red Wine Reduction:
- Heat a small pot with olive oil.
- Suate onion and garlic until aromatic.
- Add 1 cup (.25 liter) red wine. Heat to simmer/boil and reduce to half.
- Add 1 quart (1 liter) of beef stock/bone broth and reduce to one quarter.
- Finish with whole un-salted butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Please add your best methods, sides, and sauces. Let's all learn from each other.

If you are going the butter route for cooking fat on the steak, go for a pan sauce.

Add some finely chopped shallot and garlic to the skillet, cook until soft. Deglaze the skillet with wine, reduce. Add broth, reduce more. Add a dollop of a "grey poupon" style mustard, salt, pepper, finely chopped fresh herbs. Then finish with butter. The butter MUST be cold to work correctly. Whisk that poo poo together until it thickens and the butter is incorporated. Taste for seasoning/salt/pepper. I hit it with a little squeeze of lemon at the end.

Start experimenting with the ingredients. Add mushrooms. Change the wine. Try using sherry. Use the sauce to accentuate the herbs/flavors from your steak. Instead of mustard, try horseradish. A splash of heavy cream at the end can sweeten the sauce and change the texture. I've also done balsamic reductions with shallot/garlic/herbs as a sauce (goes great on brussel sprouts or other roasted green veggies).

If you want the same flavors, but "thicker" remember how to make a roux. Equal parts fat and flour, cooked until you no longer smell raw flour and it starts to brown. Add your liquids, but remember you aren't reducing these so use less, whisk to combine with the roux to avoid lumps. Once it starts to simmer/barely boil it will start to thicken.

While on sauces, horseradish sauce:

Prepared horseradish mixed with sour cream/greek yogurt/creme' fraiche (they are all slightly different, experiment).
Adjust for how "hot" you want things.
Add finely chopped onion/shallot/garlic.
Add finely chopped chives, sometimes I go for scallions, sometimes I add fresh herbs like dill, sometimes all or a combination. It depends on what looks good and what else I am eating.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Experiment with quantities and ingredients. It should taste fresh and a little "spicy" and creamy.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

You are going to need two pans for that, make sure the (presumably) cast iron is warmed up prior to transfer to finish in the oven.

Also, horseradish...Top 5 underrated sauce/ingredient? I think it gets a bad wrap because its abused liberally.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You are going to need two pans for that, make sure the (presumably) cast iron is warmed up prior to transfer to finish in the oven.

Also, horseradish...Top 5 underrated sauce/ingredient? I think it gets a bad wrap because its abused liberally.

People sleep on horseradish, I love that poo poo.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Two steak places that get my unqualified recommendation:

(St. Augustine) https://michaelssa.com/

(Seattle) https://www.themetropolitangrill.com/

It's been since early 2012 since I've been to Met Grill, and it was a little stuffy, but overall amazing.

I went to Michael's in St. Augustine three weeks ago and that was one of the best dining experiences of my life.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
I haven't been to a good "steak" place recently, but I got the steak and eggs at Ted's Bulliten for breakfast today, awesome.

It's a flank steak with chimichurri and chipotle demiglace. The steak was well cooked, and the steak juices plus sauces and egg yolks made an amazing mix to drag the potatoes through.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm assuming that the greens are like a mini wedge salad.

Looks delightful.

E: And I hadn't heard of TB, but I will be keeping it mind if I'm down DC way. Hell, I've almost driven to Morgantown for Tudors several times.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 27, 2022

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Talking of horseradish, add a spoonful of creamed horseradish to your mashed potatoes. Thank me later.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Burt posted:

Talking of horseradish, add a spoonful of creamed horseradish to your mashed potatoes. Thank me later.

You can get a similar result by steeping garlic in the cream/milk mixture prior to combining with the potatoes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub is my go-to steak seasoning, either for grilling or frying.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

I was always taught that a good quality steak shouldn't need much seasoning--let it speak for itself.

Anyway, here's my method:

1. Kosher salt and cracked pepper on both sides (not too much) and let it come to room temperature.
2. Sear both sides on really hot, well seasoned cast iron.
3. Finish in oven with a thermometer, bringing it to your desired level of doneness.
5. Let it rest with a nice dollop of garlic butter on top for about 10 minutes.

Serve with a baked potato with sour cream plus the green of your choice.

Itchy_Grundle fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 30, 2022

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

BaconAndBullets posted:

I haven't been to a good "steak" place recently, but I got the steak and eggs at Ted's Bulliten for breakfast today, awesome.

It's a flank steak with chimichurri and chipotle demiglace. The steak was well cooked, and the steak juices plus sauces and egg yolks made an amazing mix to drag the potatoes through.

I had breakfast there like ten years ago and still remember how good their homemade poptarts are!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Itchy_Grundle posted:

I was always taught that a good quality steak shouldn't need much seasoning--et it speak for itself.

I also was taught this, and yet I stand by my statement.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Anyway, here's my method:

1. Kosher salt and cracked pepper on both sides (not too much) and let it come to room temperature.
2. Sear both sides on really hot, well seasoned cast iron.
3. Finish in oven with a thermometer, bringing it to your desired level of doneness.
5. Let it rest with a nice dollop of garlic butter on top for about 10 minutes.

Letting the steak rest with butter on top is a pro-move. I use the basting butter, garlic, and herbs as my resting butter of choice.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
Made a 15oz NY Strip, truffle oil garlic butter mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, and sautéed mushrooms with a beef stock and red wine reduction.

Before sauce:

After saucing:

Admittedly the mash was a little dry, but I did:
- Put 1 stick of butter in a small sauce pan (1qt or smaller) and put on low heat
- Slice garlic (as much as you want) and add it to the butter, let the butter melt ensuring it doesn't every rapidly boil
- Boil heavily salted water, add potatoes and let cook until they are fork tender
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Strain potatoes and put on a sheet pan and place in oven until they stop steaming (about 7 minutes)
- Put the potatoes through a ricer (or mash in your preferred method)
- Add garlic butter and garlic chunks if desired and stir
- Add ~1 tablespoon truffle oil, season with white pepper, taste and salt if desired

I learned the trick for the sauce was to use a tablespoon+ of "beef bone broth concentrate" with about a cup of beef stock makes a nice easy already thickened sauce without using a slurry or roux. Also adding the wine late lets you keep the wine flavor without getting concentrated tanins if you're using a strong flavored red wine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My usual is pretty simple.

1 ribeye, at least an inch thick, room temperature.

Oven to 500, preheat a cast iron pan in the oven while it's kicking up. Once the oven's hot, move the pan to a burner on high, let heat for ~5m. When the pan's almost up to temp, rub a little canola oil (or other high-smoke point oil, like grapeseed) on the steak, then liberally sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.

Slap it in the dry pan. Don't loving touch it. After 30 seconds, flip with tongs. 30 seconds on that side, then chuck the pan in the oven for 2 minutes. Flip the steak again, then back in the oven for 2 more.

Transfer steak to a plate, rest under foil for a few minutes while you plate up your sides, then serve. Comes out to mid-rare.

If you're feeling fancy, once you pull the steak drop the pan onto the stove (it'll be hot enough on its own to not need to turn on the burner), and deglaze it with beef stock or red wine. A couple cloves of crushed garlic and some fresh herbs (rosemary and thyme especially) whipped into some good butter and put on top of the steak when it goes to rest is great too, as noted above.

I'm a fan of serving it with mashed skin-on red potatoes with garlic and rosemary and whatever veggies are seasonal.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Liquid Communism posted:

My usual is pretty simple.

1 ribeye, at least an inch thick, room temperature.

Oven to 500, preheat a cast iron pan in the oven while it's kicking up. Once the oven's hot, move the pan to a burner on high, let heat for ~5m. When the pan's almost up to temp, rub a little canola oil (or other high-smoke point oil, like grapeseed) on the steak, then liberally sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.

Slap it in the dry pan. Don't loving touch it. After 30 seconds, flip with tongs. 30 seconds on that side, then chuck the pan in the oven for 2 minutes. Flip the steak again, then back in the oven for 2 more.

Transfer steak to a plate, rest under foil for a few minutes while you plate up your sides, then serve. Comes out to mid-rare.

If you're feeling fancy, once you pull the steak drop the pan onto the stove (it'll be hot enough on its own to not need to turn on the burner), and deglaze it with beef stock or red wine. A couple cloves of crushed garlic and some fresh herbs (rosemary and thyme especially) whipped into some good butter and put on top of the steak when it goes to rest is great too, as noted above.

I'm a fan of serving it with mashed skin-on red potatoes with garlic and rosemary and whatever veggies are seasonal.

Basic question here. Cast iron pan, flat or...ribbed?

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Roblo posted:

Basic question here. Cast iron pan, flat or...ribbed?

Flat, way more versatile. I'm not a big fan of ribbed for her pleasure grill pans. Lodge makes a competent cast iron skillet for a decent price, but I'm currently using a Le Creuset that has a ceramic glaze over the entire thing. It has a cook surface textured to mimic exposed cast iron, so it takes to seasoning well and is way more forgiving on rust front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Absolutely flat, the ribbing is just for cosmetic grill marks, a flat pan gets a better sear.