Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it was hypothesized early on that gas prices in the u.s. would rise due to economic sanctions placed on russia in response to their invasion of ukraine, and that americans at large would be unlikely to tolerate this, considering the economy was already in a pretty precarious position and also considering our response to the pandemic

russia's actions proved to be significantly more unpopular than anticipated, and a counter-narrative soon emerged that punishing russia with economic sanctions was a preferable alternative to the u.s. engaging the russian military directly (the nation is in many ways still reeling from the failed wars in iraq and afghanistan, and the threat of nuclear war is a real possibility) and keeping a stiff upper lip about making small sacrifices was a way for the average american to do their part
what you're noticing is probably part of the efforts to spread that counter-narrative, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sophy Wackles posted:

idgi. Russian oil is less 1% of US oil supply annually.
uh

yeah that I don't know sorry

I just kinda
observe human being moving in large herds, and recognize the patterns

I'm not really smart enough or well informed enough to speak confidently one way or the other as to how much any given widely adopted narrative reflects reality
fortunately every single other goon is though