Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokedad
Jan 27, 2005
I am a creepy cunt.

I've barely logged in for years and I was worried I wouldn't get any of the cool new kid jokes. I should have realised the classics never go out of style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokedad
Jan 27, 2005
I am a creepy cunt.

Diorama posted:

(my memory is hazy, so anyone who remembers The Before Times please feel free to correct)

Shortly after I finally got an account (so maybe summer/autumn 2006? after gooncon anyway) Lowtax decided to try and engineer/force a meme. There were probably 75,000/80,000 goons or so back then, and I guess it was probably enough to try to artificially 'seed' a meme online (I suppose this was around the time that 'meme' was entering the general conversation and superseding 'image macro' as a term).
He selected 'Bart the General', which I just tried to type a description of, but is probably best left to speak for itself. It's a Simpsons parody, anyway.

Anyway, iirc early 4chan got wind of it being a "FORCED MEME!!!!" and vociferously campaigned against it.
This image is of Homer crying after he found Marge cheating on him with Toadfish (from Neighbours?!)

Marge, you're breaking my heart was a lowtax forced meme? I remember the meme really well but I had no idea about the SA/4chan connections.