Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i came home from the airport late Saturday night. There were a group of guys outside my neighbors looking around and just looking weird. I asked what's up.
Apparently while neighbors were hosting a group, someone came up in their front yard and ripped down a gay pride flag.

i'm straight. i don't know my neighbors. but i liked looking at it in the mornings and being like "right on."

i've already ordered a replacement flag, and have plans to go introduce myself and offer the replacement, with the caveat that they don't need to hang it back up, since it might get got, again.

I have friends and a family member in the community, and I'm all about rights, and flying that flag.
I want to tell them I want to bust the head of the person that did that.

it's not a super great neighborhood, but that poo poo is kind of past the line. I didn't do anything when I saw Trump signs, and recently Youngkin (Virginia). Kind of makes me regret that I didn't do anything, but that'd be stooping to the level.

bottom line, am i going to come off as really weird and awkward? (i mean besides my innate weirdness and awkwardness)

would this be a stupid gesture? i don't want to put pressure on anyone. and like i said, i'd be happy if they took it and just chucked it in their closet or something. i'd just like them to know that at least someone in the neighborhood recognizes what happened, and think it's lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i dunno dude

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I've lived here for about 10 years. I know my other next door neighbor as "Neighbor Jeff", and I've had a word exchange with him maybe 6 times in the whole time. He called me before, saying a huge black dude was walking down my driveway pushing a bike. I don't own a bike, so idk. But I looked in my backyard, and could see the path that was taken through the ivy. I have about 10' of ivy ground cover in my back-backyard.

My neighbors across the street are an elderly couple that baby sit a lot. And I helped the grandmother push her mini-van out of the snowy slush once.

we're not really like a "waving" neighborhood. but that incident that happened just really grinds my gears.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

i dunno dude

lol, cmon now. lemme get them 'pinions.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
they might have already ordered a replacement flag. why don't you fly your own pride flag so you can offer solidarity without having to actually talk to anybody

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The answer depends heavily on what part of VA you're in

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

they might have already ordered a replacement flag. why don't you fly your own pride flag so you can offer solidarity without having to actually talk to anybody

honestly considered it, but I'd want their.. blessing? That sounds stupid. But I feel like I should talk to them first.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The answer depends heavily on what part of VA you're in

The Hampton Roads area. but kind of the lower income area. Which is why I was surprised with the Youngkin signs. But then I saw the lifted trucks with like 4 exhaust tubes. or pipes. or whatever.

to be fair, their house is one of the nicer ones on the street. the previous house was a little ol' one like mine. That was demolished and then a nice 2-story was built.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
just how weird will I seem, if i go over, introduce myself, and offer a new flag?

i have never done anything like this. I only know neighbor jeff because I left a note in his mailbox with my phone number when I was going to be out of town for about a month, and said if he saw any moving trucks, or fires, or whatever to text me.

he apparently kept my number, which is cool. i appreciate neighbor jeff.

he even used his water key to turn off my water when I had a spigot break off on the outside of my house and just spewed water.
everyone should have at least a neighbor jeff.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I live in VA and have seen many pride flags, none ripped down

Hope this helps op

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I live in VA and have seen many pride flags, none ripped down

Hope this helps op

they've had it for at least a couple years. It's just lovely to think that I might live around bigots. I don't know.

whereabouts Seth?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Giving people you don't know very well at all a pride flag is gonna be kinda awkward no matter how they react but if they react well you've potentially made some new friends. And it's not like you're in podunk Farmville or some other tiny town where it's gonna be inserted directly into the rumor mill and circulate for months.

Youngkin is a shithead and our state deserves better.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think whether or not you come off as awkward and feel embarrassed has nothing to do with the act of saying hello to your neighbors and giving them a token of support, and everything to do with how well you can naturally approach and engage others socially. since you had enough anxiety about it make this post, i can make a pretty good guess.

but unless you are particularly invested in what these neighbors (who i assume are basically strangers to you at this point) think about you, just do it. nothing to lose really.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yeah that's part of living in VA outside of NoVA/Richmond/Charlottesville

Drove to Warrenton the other day. Quaint little town but I know it's chud central once you get outside the downtown core

For some real advice just introduce yourself and offer to buy another

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of the replacement flag send them something nice like Edible Arrangements with a note that you are sorry for what happened to them, that you hope the basket helps a little, and that you support them. End the note with your name and number.

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
you could give the flag as an anonymous gift-- but if they ask "was that you" you gotta cop to it. that's the rules!!

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Giving people you don't know very well at all a pride flag is gonna be kinda awkward no matter how they react but if they react well you've potentially made some new friends. And it's not like you're in podunk Farmville or some other tiny town where it's gonna be inserted directly into the rumor mill and circulate for months.

Youngkin is a shithead and our state deserves better.

This is heartening. And, i'll take it. I just know how I look (not very liberal at all, if we use stereotypes). But, I think I might actually do it. or just throw it on their porch with a note and run away. one of those things.

I liked to call Youngkin, Blumpkin. it made me feel a bit better about seeing his stupid f'ing signs. Someone had a huge banner in my neighborhood, and i wanted to light it on fire so bad. But, I didn't, cause apparently I'm more civilized than whatever bigot pulled down a gay pride flag.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe they pulled down their own flag and they are crisis actors

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
these are all great suggestions, guys. now i have to fret over exactly what to do, lol.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

maybe they pulled down their own flag and they are crisis actors

:ohdear: i had not considered that

Bad Purchase posted:

i think whether or not you come off as awkward and feel embarrassed has nothing to do with the act of saying hello to your neighbors and giving them a token of support, and everything to do with how well you can naturally approach and engage others socially. since you had enough anxiety about it make this post, i can make a pretty good guess.

but unless you are particularly invested in what these neighbors (who i assume are basically strangers to you at this point) think about you, just do it. nothing to lose really.

This is a good post. I'm not really anxious about doing it, just don't want to come off as weird or awkward (which i get is basically anxiety, shush you)

appreciate the feedback.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 21, 2022

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Look I'ma go out on a limb here, and I'm no genius or nothing, but don't you think your racist neighbor Jeff might have had something to do with ripping the pride flag down?

It's a flag bro, very easily replaceable. Maybe you should go halfsies on a ring camera or something more constructive?

Also, sorry you live in Virginia. I'm from southern MD, same poo poo.

God bless y'all real good now

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

interwhat posted:

Look I'ma go out on a limb here, and I'm no genius or nothing, but don't you think your racist neighbor Jeff might have had something to do with ripping the pride flag down?

It's a flag bro, very easily replaceable. Maybe you should go halfsies on a ring camera or something more constructive?

Also, sorry you live in Virginia. I'm from southern MD, same poo poo.

God bless y'all real good now

Lol Southern MD, like St. Marys? PG county? Waldorf? I lived in St. Mary's for a handful of years.

And yeah, I considered neighbor Jeff as a culprit, but he has two little tiny dogs, and keeps to himself. (which is a great cover story, if you think about it)

During the commotion when I came home upon the group of guys, I think they said they had cameras. But I was half listening because I was exhausted from flying. (in a plane)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
You could like ask them of they want a replacement and tell them you're sorry about what happened and see if they can use some support

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

blight rhino posted:

Lol Southern MD, like St. Marys? PG county? Waldorf? I lived in St. Mary's for a handful of years.

And yeah, I considered neighbor Jeff as a culprit, but he has two little tiny dogs, and keeps to himself. (which is a great cover story, if you think about it)

During the commotion when I came home upon the group of guys, I think they said they had cameras. But I was half listening because I was exhausted from flying. (in a plane)

Lol yea, born in St Mary's at PAX, middle school and high school were spent in Calvert. The only thing I miss about Maryland is being able to take my little sailboat out on the river whenever I want. Curious about who you are and if we ever crossed paths, kinda cool. Goin to bed though pm if you like.

I live in Ohio now though, it's both better and worse and basically exactly the same, minus the beautiful Chesapeake

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Hell yeah it's weird. What, you got a problem with that?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Buy them a forums account OP and let them weigh in

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Treecko posted:

You could like ask them of they want a replacement and tell them you're sorry about what happened and see if they can use some support

True. I've already purchased it. Maybe, I'll go to the door and just throw it at them as it slowly unfurls, and they'll be in awe of the neighborhood support.

interwhat posted:

Lol yea, born in St Mary's at PAX, middle school and high school were spent in Calvert. The only thing I miss about Maryland is being able to take my little sailboat out on the river whenever I want. Curious about who you are and if we ever crossed paths, kinda cool. Goin to bed though pm if you like.

I live in Ohio now though, it's both better and worse and basically exactly the same, minus the beautiful Chesapeake

Ewwww. Calvert. lol, just kidding. It all kinda sucked. I was more local around PAX, California, Leonardtown, Hollywood. We did have a privately owned pier we used, and I 'ran away' and lived on our boat for like 3 months.

I will have to update this thread in the next couple of days.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Aren't you worried that it'll make you look guilty? What if they think it was you that stole the flag and are now trying to assuage your guilt by replacing it?

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Have you considered that there might be more going on? That you might be a Targeted Individual?

I'm trying to raise awareness for it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997290

It is more common than you think.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

blight rhino posted:

just how weird will I seem, if i go over, introduce myself, and offer a new flag?

i have never done anything like this. I only know neighbor jeff because I left a note in his mailbox with my phone number when I was going to be out of town for about a month, and said if he saw any moving trucks, or fires, or whatever to text me.

he apparently kept my number, which is cool. i appreciate neighbor jeff.

he even used his water key to turn off my water when I had a spigot break off on the outside of my house and just spewed water.
everyone should have at least a neighbor jeff.

I’m gonna be totally honest, OP. You sound like a guy who is already incredibly weird, and everyone but you knows it.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
If you throw the pride flag at thier door they'll think you're a bigot making a hate crime.

Maybe. You should just talked first.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
You obviously mean well. Just give it to them directly and stop fretting about it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just poo poo my pants

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Never mind the Pride Flag, give them a Black Flag flag.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Why don’t you just put up another one but soak it in the semen of every gay man in town. That way, when it dries and they try to rip it from the earth with their hands, they will have the semen of many men on their hands and satisfaction will be yours.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Naw too gay we need a better plan

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

kntfkr posted:

this is the correct answer but i bet op won't even ask them to bless the flag first

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Never mind the Pride Flag, give them a Black Flag flag.

does anyone have a shirt like this but with like, gay dads? that's the best idea i have good luck

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

you could just give it to them anonymously somehow. either post it to them or slip it through the door at a quiet moment.

then they'll be like 'who sent this? could be anyone around herel'.

you'll know it was you and feel good and they might enjoy not knowing more.

that's what i'd do.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Have you posted this question on Nextdoor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I agree with goons saying introduce yourself, express your displeasure at the situation, then offer to buy them a flag. If they say "don't bother," insist, but respect their decision. Congrats you own a pride flag. You're an ally, only cowards don't try.

SAY YOHO fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 21, 2022