Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A new nweismuller LP that looks geared up for lots of audience participation? Instant bookmark.

I'll have more comments after I have a chance to read this in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EclecticTastes posted:

Shepherd. :buddy:

In-universe, maybe it could be a religious thing.

Yeah, second that since that's the same thing I thought of when I saw lamb clan

nweismuller posted:

The McCoy Dominion has 'oldest sibling' inheritance, and the Herring Union has 'youngest daughter' inheritance.

If I understand oldest sibling inheritance correctly, then that is the succession law used by sultans in the Ottoman Empire (except that it was male only). It simply meant that the sultan was the oldest living member of the family. It prevented the rampant murder of siblings and half-siblings during succession fights. So, we can have this be led by Sultan.

Youngest son inheritance is/was common in rural Europe. The oldest children would get some sort of training (sometimes education, usually a trade/craft), and the youngest son was expected to stay behind, care for his parents, and inherit the farm. I'm assuming that despite this being a clearly feudal setup, and there being mention of serfs, we are still in a post-agricultural society. Youngest son inheritance could have morphed into youngest daughter inheritance where the parents' old age more requires medical attention, than physical help running a farm. This is a task that would be traditionally given to the youngest daughter, and as such she would inherit land/real property. The Herring Union strongly emphasizes these close bonds of family duty, and have codified this into the inheritance system, applying it to titles, and not just land.

Edit: Nweis did remind me that the McCoy Dominion's leader is already explicitly a Duke. So just to mess with him a little more, we could also have the leader be a Dominus, and just have gratuitous Latin everywhere.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 28, 2022

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wasn't really feeling any of the original characters, but the evil king's goateed good brother? I call dibs. The coincidence is just amazing, and I'm glad you rolled with it.

As I joked on discord, Ilario is the evil king's evil bearded twin. So that makes him double secret evil, which somehow makes him good. Probably because three lefts make a right.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senior Scientist Ilario Goodman posted:

It's good to be back home. I've been in exile for over eight years, following some quarrels with my late brother. That's a story for another time though. I'm very happy with how well technology is being run here on my old home world. I had feared the worst when I heard that my brother had been overthrow, and assumed that my dear home planet would fall into civil war and anarchy. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it had been left in capable hands, and it is far less dysfunctional compared to when I was exiled, and especially the years after my exile.

Director-Heir Thomas, I would of course be honored to care for your daughter and help bring her back to good health.

I find the general state of Vega much improved, especially on the medical front. I have travelled through the Garrett Confederation, and Wang collective, tending to nobleman and serf alike. I had hoped to learn from the other systems how to improve medical practice in our system, and yet by the time I returned, I find that our medics and clinics are superior to those of all of our neighbors, including in the capital of the Garrett Confederation Gliese.

I would like to propose restoring the hospital sooner, to make us the shining jewel of the medical establishment in this area of the galaxy, but seeing the state of the system, I'm not sure if I can prioritize that over the other necessities of the system and its inhabitants.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 31, 2022

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Goodman posted:

Director-Heir Thomas, Commissioner Oriole, I have good news. Your daughter Alice is back to full health. Thank you for entrusting me with her recovery. She should be as healthy as any other child now. However, let me know should she get worse again.

Ilario Goodman posted:

Director-General Jane, Thank you for destroying that abominable research station. You are reinforcing my belief that Vega is in good hands. But likewise, thank you for giving Technology Director Prudence time to learn more of the ancient medical knowledge from that facility. It greatly helped me with your niece's recovery.

With that out of the way, Director-General, I believe we have fallen behind on our technology lessons. Please let me know when we can fit them into your schedule.

Ilario Goodman to himself posted:

I can't believe I'm starting to miss Manny. He wasn't a good person, but he always looked out for family. Heh. Mostly. Aside from that little exile incident. Still, he made me technology director as soon as I reached my majority. Hah. Those were the days. Manny caught a lot of heat firing Gabriel as tech director. Cousin by marriage, or the king's brother; It's obvious who should have the job. Plus, I knew more about medicine and technology than Gabriel did. Didn't know how to run a department though. I was embarrassed I needed Gabriel to teach me how to work the system, and he was humiliating teaching his own replacement that was "barely out of diapers." I don't think he ever realized I overheard that...

Was his hearing starting to go bad? That would have made so much sense. Too late to find out though. You don't even have a grave I could visit so you could not answer me in-person. Haha.

You enjoyed that, didn't you. Just a little reminder that we all danced to your tune. King Emmanuel gives, and King Emmanuel takes away. Even the family had to make sure they knew it. Not for any particular reason, just so they know you could, and they couldn't do anything about it. Dammit Manny, why did you have to be such a sick bastard. House Goodman has ruled Vega for centuries. The records go back over 150 years, and family history says it was all the way back to the collapse.

And what now? drat near everyone is dead, the few who aren't are scattered and hiding. I miss those family holidays the most. You were on your best behavior, which meant harmless pranks that even your victims couldn't be mad about for long. Those parties were overwhelming. So many people, so much joy, so much merriment, and in the end you had to ruin it for everyone. That could have been you. You could have have been a benevolent king, ruling a prosperous kingdom, just like Jane is. Being home again, I miss you all that much more. Exile was bad, but I got used to it. Not seeing any of you in the palace makes it so empty. It's in good hands. Better hands than then. Do you know how much it hurts to admit that? How badly we had failed the people? That's not how you ever looked at it. Emmanuel Goodman was always number 1. House Goodman was number 2. And no one else mattered; barely counted as people.

I'm gonna go visit our parents' graves. You'd love the rumors that start spreading when I do. There' s probably five people on the entire colony that think I should be ruler as your last surviving heir. Somehow that's enough to get the rumor mills going. Half the rumors are that I am in fact getting ready to overthrow the Guild, and crown myself king, and the other half think I'm an imposter pretending to be the real Ilario and that visiting our parents' graves is just so that I can continue to trick people into thinking I'm me. And guess what. If I have any kids, they'll get to deal with the same bullshit. I'm heading out. Go haunt whatever farm they fertilized with your corpse. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 5, 2022

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Goodman posted:

*slaps Thomas and Romeo on the back*
"Ah my friends. How nice of you to join me. You may think your punishment is to treat the drunks, but in fact, your punishment is to serve under a Goodman, even if just for one day. And here's our first customer. Filthy and straight from the slums. We may as well begin in order seniority. Director-heir, could you follow me, please. Project Manager, could you please keep an eye out for any more new arrivals."

After a long day of work
"Ah. That was a day of good work, wouldn't you agree gentlemen. Now, if the two of you are to continue your little squabble, perhaps you'd be amenable to increasing the priority of restoring the hospital here at Vega? You'll hopefully be able to avoid this particular punishment the next time you decide to incur our Director-General's wrath.

Ilario Goodman posted:

My esteemed councilmembers, I believe you are entitled to the full explanation of the asteroid orbiting Kapteyn's Star. I'm sure the more paranoid of you have put the pieces together and come to the correct conclusion. I was never privy to meetings on this topic, but it was a persistent rumor, and the sheer number of incidents were to great to be mere coincidence. My brother, the former king, had an "understanding" with some pirates. He ensured that the Royal Fleet avoided these pirates, and in return, they would be called upon to perform favors, targeting those that had drawn his ire, but he could not move against in a direct manner.

The Director General and I were pursuing what I had believed to be one of my brother's stashes of wealth. To our disappointment, it was a former IA prison, that had been taken over by pirates. Admiral, I thank you for dealing with them, they are a nasty bunch.

Ilario Goodman in the archives posted:

"Patton? I shouldn't be surprised. I heard Archon Yardley Patton has always had a sharp mind for technology, but he must have appointed a new doctor. I wish we had more information about him. These reports are stunning. I just wish the Wang collective didn't have to spin all this news as propaganda. It makes it a pain to figure out what's true and what's empty boasting. By looks of things, they seem to be running a tighter ship on the technology front. What is that noise?"

*Ilario explores the archives, quickly finding the source of the noise.*

"Ah, here are the culprits. I know you four have your aunt's permission to be here, but you need to be quiet in the archives. Otherwise, you'll wake up the big bad Goodman!"

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Goodman posted:

Physician, heal thyself. Easier said than done. Come on you stupid arm. Heal properly.

Dear Oriole Weiss,

I understand your frustration at the loss of Noelle from your department. He's a hot-headed, and reckless bastard, and I want nothing to do with him. Especially not after that stupid barfight he got us in. Throwing out vague insults, just enough drive some people angry, and have the slightest shred of deniability. He's smarter than he looks, or maybe craftier is the better word. He knows what he's doing, he just doesn't stop to think whether or not he should be doing it. All id, no superego, if you get my drift.

As much as I would like to petition the Director-General to reassign Noelle back to your department, we may need him more than usual. As you know, the after effects of my injury are seriously hampering my efficiency. If Director-General Jane will allow Technology Director Prudence to shift her tasks to helping me heal from this infection, we will need all the help we can get.

Sincerely,
Ilario Goodman
Senior Scientist.

And send. I should have sent that request to Jane first. Now my arm is killing me again. I'll have to get one of the nurses to write that out for me later.

I just hope I don't end up needing to be hospitalized. They'll make me watch that docu-drama about the fall of House Goodman. Manny, if that happens, I don't know whether to blame you or Noelle for this.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ok, i chuckled hard.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
B. Genetic therapies is my vote for bloodlines upgrade

Ilario Goodman to Technology Director Prudence Weiss posted:

Well, if I'm going to be a human pincushion while I get healed up, what's a little extra brain surgery, am I right? But honestly, thank you. Both for your medical attention and for the chip. Being so useless has given me a little too much time to stew in my own thoughts. I don't like the feeling of not being able to help. No, that's not exactly it. I don't like where my thoughts go when I can't distract myself with work.

Do you know how much that exile hurt? Oh at first it had the trappings of nothing but a trip, a social call to neighboring nobles. Shoring up ties and improving relationships. There are appearances to be maintained. But that can only last for a while. What could I do after that? Throw myself into work. It's hard to miss your family when you don't have time to worry about things like that. When you're overwhelmed with patients and worrying about finding a patron to help fun you for a little longer, when you're jumping back and forth between ingratiating yourself with the local nobles, and the working tirelessly for the poor, you can be too tired to worry about that family sized hole in your heart.

Heh. Thanks for listening. I never get tired of seeing you, Jane, and Thomas working together like a functional family. Go ahead and put me under, Doc. Let's see what's on this chip.

Ilario Goodman waking up from surgery posted:

That was amazing. Is that really what life was like before the collapse? I can't believe how much we lost. Such beauty, such technology. It brings a tear to my eyes.

I don't even have words for all the things I saw.

Ilario Goodman, blinded by respect for Jane (It's just respect, right?), and with his arm finally healed posted:

An engagement? You... You're asking me to marry into the family? I... That's what I wanted so much. Forgive me for letting my emotions get the better of me. This means so much for me. As long as Rebecca is alright, after all, the difference in age between us is noticeable, then, yes. Of course I accept.

After a little offsite conversation with Nweismuller, we're assuming the memory chip is a memory of a trip to Ecola State Park, or some similar location.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 18, 2022

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That string of marriages and family connections is just insane.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Actually that reminds me. Ilario is tribal, and that's one thing I've been really trying to play up. Loyalty to family (seeing Emmanuel in the best possible light, visiting his parents' graves), and also being depressed about the only Goodman left.

And while the age gap is extreme (we have seen a 40 year age gap), I'm assuming that this is basically crusader kings in space, and that sort of age gap happens, especially amongst the nobility. The positive reaction is basically Ilario going from no family to huge family (even if by marriage) and his personality being so focused on the tribe/family.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neophyte posted:

Yes, the classic causes of the falls of empires:

- war

- pestilence

- horny

quote:

Ilario Goodman Weiss posted:
Rebecca, as many times as we've heard of that time your aunt got drunk and won a board game at a foreign celebration, it's not wise to try to copy that feat, especially not at your own wedding.

Ilario Weiss posted:

Prudence, Prudence, Prudence. I bet you it was something from that science cruiser from Albireo. You probably didn't decontaminate fully. You need to take a quick break, and let me get you healed up back to top form. And I'm all in favor of us studying that science ship, once I get you healed back up.

Ilario Weiss posted:

Dear Jane,

At some point, I believe it would be wise to reassign me from training you in technology, to doing so for Rebecca. This is not at all an attempt to simply spend more time with my wife. OK. Maybe a little. I still think it's a wise course of action, but I do not assume that right now is the ideal time. I'm simply planning for the future.

Sincerely,
Ilario Weiss

General Revil fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 5, 2022

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dervinosdoom posted:

Would Rebecca having a child push Prudence and her children further back in succession? I'm assuming it will.

I'll sneak in an answer that. Yes.

It's the same as with the British royal family. Each time Prince William has a kid, he pushes everyone further back in the succession number, except for his father (who is first in line) and his existing children.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

I'm a little surprise that Rebecca isn't pregnant yet. Trying for a kid has been the easiest way for her to slip out from further studies on how to administer a league.

Ilario Weiss posted:

We absolutely need to use this to opportunity to create a new home for mankind. Man was not meant to live in a tin can. We had an entire planet that supported us. I can still see the beauty of Earth just as clear as the person whose memories were on that chip. We need to create a home for mankind. We may not be the equals of our forefathers yet, but with the population growth from creating a planet, we should find the will and the knowhow to spread this to the galaxy.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dervinosdoom posted:

Skilled Collectors

Run up that administration tree

Going with this. I'm sold on the admin tree now.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MechaCrash posted:

Mostly all of that "all of this poo poo is marked to be Highly Unlikely but it can still happen" stuff reminds me of that screenshot from one of these types of games, I think it was a Crusader Kings but I am not sure, that basically was a letter saying "oh poo poo boss, I found out Loyal Spymaster Jimmy is plotting to whack Loyal Spymaster Jimmy, better watch out for that shifty fucker; signed Loyal Spymaster Jimmy."

I don't know if that kind of thing can happen in this game, but I hope it can and it does, just to see how you spin it. :allears:

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss, thinking to himself posted:

Traveling with Emily is starting to take it's toll on me. It's not that she's the very definition of an out of touch intellectual. I'm more than used to dealing with those. It's not even that Emily had a baby before Rebecca and I did. Liberty is such a cute nephew, and has Rebecca and I trying even harder for a child. Thomas and Oriole what sin of yours caused Rebecca to have that nose? It wouldn't be such a problem if it weren't for the fact that your genetics are clearly capable of producing a much prettier face.

OK, that's enough griping Ilario. Enjoy your life, you're alive, married, and fingers crossed that today's attempt caught.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

At the risk of embarrassment, Rebecca and I have been unable to produce an heir, despite lots of practice. While it isn't critical as there is no lack of house members in the line of succession, it is always easier to have a smooth success. And if I may be so bold, a lack of an heir will undermine one of the political reasons for the marriage. So, I'd like to use some resources from Medical to assist us in this task.

Ilario Weiss posted:

I never expected to end up negotiating for a trade deal with my background. That's definitely a new one for me. Still, I think we arranged an outcome with the maximum possible honor being preserved, while also giving us access to the raw materials for this amazing fabric.

I'll vote for Diligent Serfs, to make their lives a little better.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

It is obvious that these intelligences are not true thinking beings. Rocks taught to think do not have that spark of the divine that is infused in each and everyone person, from the highest archon to the lowest serf. At best, what these are relics of the advanced technology from before the collapse. They are certainly more advanced than the programs our computers run, but they are still just programs.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 1, 2022

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

Xenon Roach

Zenon Roach, Duke of the 26th century.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

Aha! So I was correct. As the diplomacy AI explained itself, it is not a sentient being. Simply an advanced piece of programming from long in the past created by scientists greater than us. I stand vindicated that it is not possible to teach a rock to think.

Ilario Weiss posted:

Director Prudence, Let us hold off on that option for now. Rebecca and I are trying very hard to produce an heir. However, if we are not successful within a year or two, I think it would be wise to take you up on your offer and have us switch roles. In the mean time, you'll have to excuse us as it is a most unsafe time of month.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

I continue to believe that the AI is not a sentient being. It would be incredibly inappropriate to give it a council seat.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll just post this without context. Everything will become clear soon

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Justified Taxation

Ilario Weiss posted:

As much as I would like to support Technologists Bloodline, to leverage our technological brilliance, I cannot fault my father-in-law's arguments for Justified Taxation. Our Terraforming efforts will be our greatest bragging rights. However, it seems quite clear that we need much increased finances to support that undertaking. Furthermore, much of our league's strength has come from our great administration and our mercantile strength, even moreso than our technological superiority. And I'm not just saying that because I don't want to agree with Polly.

Likewise, I have read of Frank Herbert's history. We must be cautious as the locals appear to have forms of fighting that are beyond the skills of most men. However, the supply of spices that increase piloting ability will serve our merchant fleet greatly. And perhaps, we will even be able to learn how to grow the spices ourselves.

Ilario Weiss posted:

The medical aspect of Technology has been looking for a secondary supply of modern drugs and medicine, in order to secure our supply lines in the event of disruption. This maybe somewhat outside of my wheelhouse, but I have noticed that with the high levels of unrest on Haldus, combined with their prior epidemic of Rattle Lung, we may be able to score both a medical and stability coup by repairing the hospital there. The residents should be grateful that we remember their plight, and are outfitting them in a way to protect them from future outbreaks.

Ilario Weiss posted:

I can't even be annoyed with Polly and its incessant questions today today. No, I still will not call it "her", but I'm finally a dad! Sally is so adorable! Clearly she got her looks from her dad.

General Revil posted:

I'll just post this without context. Everything will become clear soon

So, this is Sally Emil from Super Robot Wars Gamecube. I was part of the translation team (working on writing and inserting custom PPC code), and she's a cutie. Hence why I named Ilario's daughter Sally (formalized to Salome).

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario's Private Journal posted:

<There is a page ripped out prior to this.>

It pains me to admit it, but Polly is... useful. She manages to be chipper without annoying, which I never knew was a possible combination, and it seems that her incessant questions have actually paid off. She's not an expert by any means, but her programming is sufficiently advanced and adaptable to new situations. It IS still just programming.

Ilario Weiss posted:

I'm always in favor of more hospitals and medical centers being restored, and I can't deny that restoring the hospital should help with unrest in the Lamb Clan. However, between the hospital here in Vega and the recently restored one on Haldus, we have sufficient medical coverage for our core.

However, I did a little research into production facilities and transport range. Between the production lines for improved drugs we have setup at Vega and Haldus, and the Lamb Clan's hospital in Pulcherrima, we have coverage of all but five colonies in our league. Furthermore, Baroness Darlita Stephens of House Mendoza is currently rebuilding the hospital in Alsciaukat. Her upstart status and questionable methods of governance aside, that hospital will allow for improved drug production to reach our most remote colonies of Athena and Salm near the Lindsey Coalition, as well as Mu Capricorni and Kastra in the White Federation

Once we restore the hospital in Taygeta, that will provide improved drug coverage for our most remote colony on the other side of the league in the Lamb Clan, Marfik. It is also well positioned to cover any additional colonies we might acquire at the McCoy Dominion's expense.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 9, 2023

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

If only the noble houses of the Shannon League in general, and Homan in particular had been better able to cooperate and coexist. This tragedy wouldn't have occurred.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

As grim a topic as it is, Thomas's most recent brush with death does bring up a point. Our line of succession to the throne is well established, but what are our succession plans for council positions?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dervinosdoom posted:

I honestly figured it would be my boy Romeo until his sister dies and then he royally screws things up by taking him and Prudence out of the council.

That's actually one of the specific things I was thinking of. Romeo is in a great position to take over administration. But if Jane or Thomas, and Romeo's sister die in close succession, we'll have a big gaping hole in administration. Technology has the same ticking time bomb where Romeo's sister's passing will pull Prudence out of Technology. Ilario is in a good position to take over, but he is older than any of the Weiss siblings, and is likely to predecease them. Again not something to worry about in the immediate future, but it is there.

Meanwhile, Diplomacy, Security, and Military have been our weaker departments. Diplomacy and Security seem to be essentially one-woman-departments, and I don't know if Military has ever been the same since the passing of the admiral.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss" posted:

Thank you Jane.

I understood that the counsel serves at the pleasure of the director, and that no fixed lines of succession exist for these positions. My question was more focused on making sure we have enough talent in the house to fill any vacancies that may arise. While I knew that our diplomacy department was understaffed since I previously had to fill in for some diplomatic matters, I didn't realize just how close I was to being placed at the head of the department should anything befall the Director-Consort.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

This ringworld is amazing! This is power that the League of Starfaring Nations was able to bring. So many nations cooperating to build the next best thing to planetary habitation. If only we had the knowledge, technical ability, and the will to restore this entire station. It may not be as good as a planet, but this ringworld would put all of our habitats to shame if we could complete its construction. Still, it will be beyond impressive once we have the free time and money to complete even the small part that is within our means.

Once the critical matters that the Director-Heir identified are resolved, we'll have a taste at what a large habitable space can do. The skills of restoring a small section of this ring world and that of terraforming a planet are different, but the sudden increase in livable space will have social consequences, and we'll be better prepared for them by seeing a small scale of this happen.

Ilario Weiss message to Liberty posted:

Hi Liberty,

How's one of my two favorite nephews doing? I hear you had a little stay at the hospital. I'm glad your doing better. I don't know if your mom told you the story of how I came back to Vega. She was only 4 at the time, so she probably doesn't remember all that much, and the docudrama your grandfather had a hand in producing exaggerated the facts more than a little.

Anyway, the Director-General had been injured in a structural collapse. She was healing slowly over the course of a few months, but then I arrived and patched her up good as new. But just as that happened, your aunt Alice got sick. I think she was only three years old then. It took her a whole year for her to get better, and I was doing everything I could to heal her. If I was a lesser doctor, or if the state of technology in Vega was worse, I don't know if she would have survived. Your grandpa was so happy once she had been healed. That scare helped convince him to invest in medical infrastructure. He restored the hospital in Vega, and he's been indulging me in getting hospitals set up all over the league.

Between the medical facilities and the drug production lines, we've helped improve the medical care available to almost everyone in the League, from the lowest serf up to the Director-General herself. And some of the work the Technology Director is doing helps improve medicine for everyone as well.

I checked our records, and the medical care in the league is twice as good as as it was 24 years ago. There are less people getting sick, and those that do get better quicker than they used to. Just like you. I know hospital gave you the best care available, but you didn't need something as extreme as me, your mom, or even the Technology-Director to look after you full-time.

Some time, I'll tell you the story of how I had my arm broken, and the infections and everything after it took a year and a half to heal. I almost forgot how angry I was over that. But I also saw something beautiful then. I'll tell you about it sometime when I see you in person. Maybe you'll see a little more of my dream.

Lots of Love,
Uncle Ilario

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched Nweis stream himself playing that. I did not expect it to be as good as it was. Horror fishing simulator is a genre I hadn't expected to exist.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a nice little vignette.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While it's Carmen that has the ravaged lungs in game. It seems to be Ilario's player that has them in real life.

I exaggerate, but I've been sick.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss examining Carmen Weiss posted:

Sadly, there comes a time when medicine can no longer help. At a certain point, the body stops regenerating, and all we can do is slow down the ravages of age and disease. Short of a miracle, I might advise getting you affairs in order and making your conscience right with God."

Ilario Weiss standing at the observation deck with Rebecca posted:

It looks so impressive. To think that we have the power to organize all of these tugs from across the entire Weiss League just to tow an abandoned plastics factory to the capitol.

I already miss having Sally with us on our adventures. I know she's in good hands with the Archon, but it's been so nice to have her around these past six years, it just feels so lonely without her.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

but I'm thinking we might, perhaps, want to marry Adam or Liberty out into another House.

My vote is for Adam because I would like to take control of Liberty once Ilario sheds his mortal coil.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

Why Liberty, in particular?

Check page 18 for the letter from Ilario to Liberty. I'm passing on the dream of terraforming a planet to him by telling him about the vision from the implanted memory chip.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

Computer freeze lost me all my writing progress on update. I'll... get on recreating that, argh.

Save your work regularly!

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

Despite the actor for Emmanuel Goodman chewing the scenery, many of the people old enough to actually remember Emmanuel Goodman agree that his depiction is 'barely exaggerated'.

Love that little tidbit.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wiegieman posted:

Having lots of money and men is perhaps the best kind of martial excellence.

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario speaking to Liberty in private posted:

I promised to tell you about how I broke my arm someday. Of course it's an interesting story. Don't tell your step-grandfather I told you, but it was all his fault. He got into a barfight, which wouldn't have been all that annoying, if he hadn't gotten me involved. Sadly, he did, and I wasn't ready for what came next. That was over 20 years ago. No, I don't hold it against him. Mind you, I don't particularly like him, but he's just a much more rash personality. I think I practically begged your grandmother to accept him in Security and get him out of Technology. I think it did a lot of good for him, and since then we've had a lot more people added to technology, like your mom, and your great aunt still runs the entire department very efficiently.

Oh, sorry, I got off on a tangent. That was all just backstory. No, the main point was what happened after I was finally healed. After being a human pincushion for over a year while Director Prudence healed me up, the Archon, but she wasn't archon yet, offered to give me a memory chip they recovered. It had a recorded memory from before the Collapse.

*Continuing with eyes closed, replaying the memory from the chip once more*
It's of a park, but it puts all of our "parks" to shame. It was larger than our entire colony. The trees dwarfed the little lemon trees growing in House Weiss's orchards. Yes, I said little. I know they look huge to you, but trees can grow so much bigger. Those were evergreen trees. No, evergreen trees don't have fruit. Their purpose? They were there because that's how nature made it. They provided homes to animals I guess. The end of the park was a cliff. The rocky cliff then dropped straight down into the ocean. There was a small beach far below, and then the ocean. I know you've read about oceans, but it's just so mind-boggilingly huge. All this water in a great expanse, covering most of the planet. 70% of a world, covered in water. And there were waves crashing against the beach. The air wasn't held in by thin and corroding metal walls, but by the gravity of the planet itself.

But what stands out is the smell. It was nature. It was life. Not life trapped in an oversized can, fighting to keep our colony alive. Even those of us nobles with the least responsibility, and access to riches beyond our comprehension have nothing compared to those that live before the Collapse. Man wasn't made to live in a cage, no matter how opulent the furnishing, and how gilded the bars are. Man was meant to be in nature, on a planet. That's where freedom comes from. That's where... Liberty comes from.

*Eyes open again*
I probably won't live long enough to see it completed, but House Weiss has access to terraforming equipment. We could make a habitable planet. A new home for mankind. I hope that's a dream you'll be able to realize. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you. Plus, Sally's going to need a reliable and trustworthy nobleman like you to be on her counsel someday, and I hope you can take that duty seriously, just like your grandpa did.

Liberty Weiss posted:

I didn't know all of that. That's not what I was expecting to learn...

---------------------------------------------------

Ilario thinking to himself, holding Rebecca posted:

I'm glad we were able to attend Thomas's funeral. It gives a proper sense of closure. Better not let it slip to Rebecca to say how lucky she is to have lost her father this way.

*Ilario absentmindedly squeezes his wife a little tighter.*

I'm happy I can be her rock in times like these. The sadness isn't bubbling up in her as often as it did at first. Still I don't know if it's good that she inherited her father's position. She needs the work to keep her focused, but everything at work reminds her of him.

*Ilario strokes Rebecca's hair, realizing that he can just barely feel a spot on his shirt made wet with her tears.