Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Discendo Vox posted:

Even your own quote states there are "execution issues and fraud concerns". This is in fact a problem with these stimulus payment programs, and was a programmatic concern with the last several rounds. The root article from Axios identifies that it was one of several actions considered during the ongoing development of a larger response package.

That just sounds like Democrats are dusting off the Republican panic about welfare fraud to justify not helping people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
And poo poo like this is barely registering anymore

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/21/us/mass-shootings-weekend/index.html

At least 8 people were killed and more than 50 hurt in 8 mass shootings across the US this weekend

quote:

Among the incidents was a shooting at a car show in Dumas, Arkansas, that left one person dead and at least 28 injured -- the most people wounded in a mass shooting event in the US in more than two years, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

At least 107 mass shootings have unfolded so far this year in the US, including those on Saturday and Sunday, per the Gun Violence Archive, which like CNN defines a mass shooting as four or more people shot, not including the shooter. More than two-thirds of the country's most populous cities recorded more homicides in 2021 than the previous year, with at least 10 setting all-time homicide records -- with the majority committed with a firearm.

Man, we're just really circling the drain and everyone I know feels it. Mass shootings are below the fold now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Somehow, complicated logistics didn't stop the stimulus payments from going out so I can't say I believe them when they call this proposal too complicated to carry out.

e: Hopefully a reporter is able to make Psaki say something embarrassing about it because that's the best way to get things done these days.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 21, 2022

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

The Georgia Dems ran & won based on "elect a Dem Senate & we'll give you $2000, a higher minimum wage, lowered Medicare age and student-debt relief," none of which happened once they were elected.

eta: Not sure if referencing the long-ago electoral history of 15 months ago is against the thread rules, but it seems relevant to discussing current events (rather, lack thereof). Let me know if I need to edit it.

Sweet loving christ can we not try to primary him? Dems are gonna get curb-stomped at this rate of doing gently caress-all.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Twincityhacker posted:

There is also the problem of the underbanked, who probably most need the rebate, but I am not sure how the underbanked got their stimulus checks.

Unless those got stolen.

The IRS used a nonfiler tool to distribute them, or tried to get people to file a pro forma return so they had an address they could send checks to. They still had to pay check cashing company fees, thought, which I think was part of why they tried that mess with EIP cards.

Bishyaler posted:

That just sounds like Democrats are dusting off the Republican panic about welfare fraud to justify not helping people.

Even if this were true, it doesn't change the fact that you misrepresented the source. The forms of fraud that are generally a concern are people stealing IDs to harvest other people's payments.

Srice posted:

Somehow, complicated logistics didn't stop the stimulus payments from going out so I can't say I believe them when they call this proposal too complicated to carry out.

It put the IRS several additional months behind; the agency's now in an even worse state of collapse.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Discendo Vox posted:

Even if this were true, it doesn't change the fact that you misrepresented the source.

This is a bullshit argument and you know it. The posted article was from CNN and exactly zero people are obligated to dig into CNN's original source to find wording more favorable to Democrats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Plek posted:

Sweet loving christ can we not try to primary him? Dems are gonna get curb-stomped at this rate of doing gently caress-all.

this is what the people want to vote for though, centrist Democrats are the only ones who can win

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bishyaler posted:

This is a bullshit argument and you know it. The posted article was from CNN and exactly zero people are obligated to dig into CNN's original source to find wording more favorable to Democrats.

It didn't even require "digging into" the original source. You misrepresented the text of the CNN article itself.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Discendo Vox posted:

It didn't even require "digging into" the original source. You misrepresented the text of the CNN article itself.

I'm extremely interested to know how copying and pasting the text from the CNN article is misrepresenting the text.

I know drowning the argument with technicalities is a fan favorite around here, but try to engage with the actual argument of: Democrats are justifying not helping people with the flimsiest of excuses

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bishyaler posted:

"We can't send people relief because it might be stolen from the mailbox." is the laziest justification for austerity I've ever heard. They're not even bothering to hide that they don't give a poo poo that they caused a gas panic and drove up the price of nearly every product. At this rate they'll be lucky if they only lose the midterms in a landslide instead of triggering an insurrection.

Bishyaler posted:

The CNN article sure has it.

"The Biden administration is worried that gas cards won't work because of execution issues and fraud concerns. In the past, cards have been stolen from mailboxes, a source familiar with the administration's thinking told CNN, adding that they are studying the pros and cons of various proposals."

These are two different claims about what the source says. They also ignore the other information provided, including in the root source, which provides further detail.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Even your own quote states there are "execution issues and fraud concerns". This is in fact a problem with these stimulus payment programs, and was a programmatic concern with the last several rounds. The root article from Axios identifies that it was one of several actions considered during the ongoing development of a larger response package.

That Axios article isn't the source of the CNN article. The CNN article is primarily sourced from an unnamed White House spokesperson who also confirmed the Axios reporting and gave additional statements to CNN.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

That Axios article isn't the source of the CNN article. The CNN article is primarily sourced from an unnamed White House spokesperson who also confirmed the Axios reporting and gave additional statements to CNN.

Great. This doesn't actually address the misrepresentation of the subject material, or the continuing dismissal of actual specific information about the subject provided in the thread.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

They can do both.

When the dems rightfully get destroyed next year, the insurrectionists will cite it as proof that getting rid of all the voter fraud was the reason and double down on it. When the pendulum swings back the other way in 4 or 6 years to give the democrats another shot at doing nothing and elections get close again or start going blue, it'll be more "voter fraud!" and take america back poo poo.

The Dems also are prone to irrational claims about election interference, as we saw after the 2016 general election.

I'll never forget how quickly the pre-election claim WHEN CLINTON WINS TRUMP WILL BLAME IT ON RUSSIA became the post-election claim TRUMP "WON" SO LET'S BLAME IT ON RUSSIA.

eta: It'd be funny as hell if Dem voters storm the capitol after losing the 2022 or 2024 elections.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Great. This doesn't actually address the misrepresentation of the subject material, or the continuing dismissal of actual specific information about the subject provided in the thread.

Beats me dude, I'm just pointing out where you were wrong since your reading comprehension also isn't as hot as you think.

Honestly I think you're again in one of those arguments where two people look at a collection of facts, come to different conclusions based on those, and you then get really mad that your conclusion isn't treated as a fact.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 21, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Beats me dude, I'm just pointing out where you were wrong since your reading comprehension also isn't as hot as you think.

The CNN reporter got a single confirmatory quote on background so they could repost the content of the Axios article. Hence "mediating gloss".

Gumball Gumption posted:

Honestly I think you're again in one of those arguments where two people look at a collection of facts, come to different conclusions based on those, and you then get really mad that your conclusion isn't treated as a fact.

I also provided multiple specific references and descriptions of how the policies in question work or don't work, and went further in tracking the initial claim back to the Axio source. I am not obligated to meet your lack of effort with acquiescence.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Willa Rogers posted:

The Dems also are prone to irrational claims about election interference, as we saw after the 2016 general election.

I'll never forget how quickly the pre-election claim WHEN CLINTON WINS TRUMP WILL BLAME IT ON RUSSIA became the post-election claim TRUMP "WON" SO LET'S BLAME IT ON RUSSIA.

eta: It'd be funny as hell if Dem voters storm the capitol after losing the 2022 or 2024 elections.

There are still blue checkmarks on twitter trotting out "Russia helped Trump win" or "Russia stole the 2016 election" as a reason to initiate war.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The CNN reporter got a single confirmatory quote on background so they could repost the content of the Axios article. Hence "mediating gloss".

I also provided multiple specific references and descriptions of how the policies in question work or don't work, and went further in tracking the initial claim back to the Axio source. I am not obligated to meet your lack of effort with acquiescence.

I'm not the one you're arguing with, I'm just noticing a pattern of the arguments you famously get into.

Anyways, I think we will have an answer when we see what the Democrats do end up on for relief. Nothing comes? It was a show and they used flimsy excuses to not send anything out. Do we get other substantial relief? They just legitimately thought the cards were not a well thought out idea. Right now we're trying to suss out motives of what they will or won't do before they've done any of it, unless we can read minds we're not getting far there.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 21, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Plek posted:

Who, Biden?

"We" (ie: some hapless soul) can primary him, but if he wants the nomination (and isn't talked out of running) then it's his, and the DNC, Congressional committees & state parties will line up behind him.

I think it's about 50-50 that Biden will stand for reelection; he's not getting any cognitively sharper, as time goes on, and those polls aren't dropping by themselves.

And the bench is pretty grim, anyway: Harris's approvals are even worse, and a alt-med legislative sponsor M4A advocate will be shut out before they begin to decide.

I could see a mushy (yet socially progressive) centrist like Polis possibly winning the nomination, but that's a stretch.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Willa Rogers posted:

Really? Which Dems did this, specifically? How many lawsuits were filed? How many concrete plans to try and subvert the vote totals or change electors were made by democratic operatives, much like the Eastman memo?

Because it really feels like you're setting up yet another equivalency fallacy between the actions of dems in 2016 and republicans in 2020. Not to just outright lying about what "blame it on Russia" actually means - complaints about Russian interference were of course about promoting misinformation online, not outright changing votes, despite how many claim otherwise.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Really? Which Dems did this, specifically? How many lawsuits were filed? How many concrete plans to try and subvert the vote totals or change electors were made by democratic operatives, much like the Eastman memo?

Because it really feels like you're setting up yet another equivalency fallacy between the actions of dems in 2016 and republicans in 2020. Not to just outright lying about what "blame it on Russia" actually means - complaints about Russian interference were of course about promoting misinformation online, not outright changing votes, despite how many claim otherwise.

I'm on my way out, but I'll be happy to respond later if someone hasn't done so first!

edit: Wait, are you splitting hairs between "Russian interference" & "blame it on Russia"? If so, I'm not sure if it warrants a reply. :raise:

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 21, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oh yeah: Speaking of gas cards, likely Chicago mayoral candidate Willie Wilson is holding a gas giveaway on Thursday across the city & suburbs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Willa Rogers posted:

Who, Biden?

"We" (ie: some hapless soul) can primary him, but if he wants the nomination (and isn't talked out of running) then it's his, and the DNC, Congressional committees & state parties will line up behind him.

I think it's about 50-50 that Biden will stand for reelection; he's not getting any cognitively sharper, as time goes on, and those polls aren't dropping by themselves.

And the bench is pretty grim, anyway: Harris's approvals are even worse, and a alt-med legislative sponsor M4A advocate will be shut out before they begin to decide.

I could see a mushy (yet socially progressive) centrist like Polis possibly winning the nomination, but that's a stretch.

I still reckon we can't rule out Hillary: Third Time's the Charm

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
It 0 pages for the new thread to devolve into the same posters as ever sniping at each other instead of discussing anything. That’s gotta be a new record.

Willa Rogers posted:

Who, Biden?

There is no way Biden voluntarily gives the top spot to anyone; all reports of him only serving one term turned out to be lanyards promising that based on nothing, and other current top Ds have made that same promise only to ignore it come re-election.

We’re dealing with geriatric white people here, giving up power and prestige is not an option to them.

Best bet to see anyone else is if he dies or ends up in a coma, at which point we get to see Harris lose by record-breaking numbers.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AmiYumi posted:

Best bet to see anyone else is if he dies or ends up in a coma, at which point we get to see Harris lose by record-breaking numbers.
Nobody is losing by record-breaking numbers in the age of hyper partisanship. I could easily see her doing worse than McCain 2008, which I would happily consider a "modern record," but "Goldwater," "McGovern" and "Mondale" aren't on the table.

She could also win because politics are weird. Donald Trump won.

Agree that Biden is very unlikely to not run unless he's having major health problems.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Willa Rogers posted:

Who needs t-shirts when Brandon's ratings look like this?

Not even bipartisan furriner-hate & bloodlust have been ratings boons, and those are American traditions.

Biden will leave the office as popular, if not less, than Trump.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

My mom fell into this left wing conspiracy pretty hard, that Russia changed the actual votes. I think it's a relatively fringe belief with Michael Harriot being one of the bigger names who fell into it. He did really embarrass himself though.https://www.theroot.com/evidence-shows-hackers-changed-votes-in-the-2016-electi-1827871206

I'd say legitimate complaints were about misinfo and people who were hosed up on the Muellerverse believed in the votes being changed. We can play no true Scotsman to find out how much those people count as Democrats.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for the "so, how did Biden work out eh?" To get fired out of the GOP once the season starts back up.

I hope prices get sorted, shits nuts out there.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gumball Gumption posted:

My mom fell into this left wing conspiracy pretty hard, that Russia changed the actual votes. I think it's a relatively fringe belief with Michael Harriot being one of the bigger names who fell into it. He did really embarrass himself though.https://www.theroot.com/evidence-shows-hackers-changed-votes-in-the-2016-electi-1827871206

I'd say legitimate complaints were about misinfo and people who were hosed up on the Muellerverse believed in the votes being changed. We can play no true Scotsman to find out how much those people count as Democrats.

That seems like a pretty good mea culpa from him and he's a pretty awesome writer on most subjects.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

That seems like a pretty good mea culpa from him and he's a pretty awesome writer on most subjects.

I guess, but no one should be falling into nationalist conspiracy theory.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

they were called the Hamilton Electors, op.

and while, like January 6th, their attempt to subvert the electoral college ended up just being an impotent temper tantrum, they -did- actually outdo the MAGA dipshits by changing a couple of votes in the electoral college!

my favorite detail is that in order to demonstrate that they weren't being ~partisan~ in their attempt to subvert the american democratic process, they proposed throwing their votes to a guy who had not run for president at all, Colin Powell.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

I disagree.

I think they'll blame progressives and "we should have been more moderate". They'll talk about how progressives almost blocked the infrastructure bill (but not really), and ignore how the moderates blocked literally everything else.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Primary Biden with whom? A quick look at the long list of awesome, inspiring and viable candidates starts with:

1. Tumbleweed blowing by
2. Hillary loving Clinton
3. _____________?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

A very significant percentage of the population believes that the direct cash payments are directly responsible for the current inflation problem.

Republicans pushed this and then Dems immediately agreed, so welp

"It can't have been due to the massive amount of corruption, it must have been the one good thing we did"

BiggerBoat posted:

Primary Biden with whom? A quick look at the long list of awesome, inspiring and viable candidates starts with:

1. Tumbleweed blowing by
3. _____________?

Honestly the tumbleweed would probably have a better chance than Biden, it's just as charismatic and doesn't have a history of being on the exact wrong side of nearly every single issue

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Willa Rogers posted:

Was there anyone who even made that bolded claim? I genuinely cannot remember a single person who claimed that Russia was rigging the election against Trump before Hillary lost. Not even Trump himself, and he couldn't shut the gently caress up about election fraud.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
4 years later I drive by a Joe Biden billboard that reads “Miss me yet?” and towards a new fresh hell that awaits US

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BiggerBoat posted:

1. Tumbleweed blowing by
3. _____________?

I'd do it but the minimum age is 35

I feel like that part isn't really super relevant anymore, especially if we want to freshen up the government

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 21, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wait, so now if you question whether or not your mom or some rando blogger is as much of the Democratic establishment as paid members of the Trump campaign/administration inciting crowds or filing lawsuits are members of the Republican establishment, it's just a "no true scotsman fallacy"? Give a me break.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

they were called the Hamilton Electors, op.

and while, like January 6th, their attempt to subvert the electoral college ended up just being an impotent temper tantrum, they -did- actually outdo the MAGA dipshits by changing a couple of votes in the electoral college!

my favorite detail is that in order to demonstrate that they weren't being ~partisan~ in their attempt to subvert the american democratic process, they proposed throwing their votes to a guy who had not run for president at all, Colin Powell.

How is it that when you have a handful of electors vote for someone else as a protest (something that pretty much happens every time), it's considered a massive act greater than the 60+ lawsuits, the insurrection, and the massive efforts to discredit the entire 2020 election? Why do we have to continue playing the dumb loving games where folks pretend that each side is the same when they are clearly not?

Also, electors voting for who they want isn't a subversion of the electoral college, that's how it works. I think it's bullshit but those are the rules as written. These electors weren't trying to throw out votes, they were trying to get whole slates of electors replaced and they weren't.

So we're now up to 2 electors, a rando blogger and Gumball's mother for the dems, and the vast majority of the Trump administration/campaign as well as numerous republican members of the House and Senate. Yeah, I'm having a really difficult time seeing these situations as the same.

Generic American posted:

Was there anyone who even made that bolded claim? I genuinely cannot remember a single person who claimed that Russia was rigging the election against Trump before Hillary lost. Not even Trump himself, and he couldn't shut the gently caress up about election fraud.

No, no one was making this claim. It's a purposeful conflation of "Russia and groups tied to Russia are engaged in false information campaigns" and "Russia is hacking voting machines or whatever". Then you just keep bringing up the latter without any quotes or sources like it's the truth and run away when anyone asks for receipts.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, so now if you question whether or not your mom or some rando blogger is as much of the Democratic establishment as paid members of the Trump campaign/administration inciting crowds or filing lawsuits are members of the Republican establishment, it's just a "no true scotsman fallacy"? Give a me break.

How is it that when you have a handful of electors vote for someone else as a protest (something that pretty much happens every time), it's considered a massive act greater than the 60+ lawsuits, the insurrection, and the massive efforts to discredit the entire 2020 election? Why do we have to continue playing the dumb loving games where folks pretend that each side is the same when they are clearly not?

Also, electors voting for who they want isn't a subversion of the electoral college, that's how it works. I think it's bullshit but those are the rules as written. These electors weren't trying to throw out votes, they were trying to get whole slates of electors replaced and they weren't.

So we're now up to 2 electors, a rando blogger and Gumball's mother for the dems, and the vast majority of the Trump administration/campaign as well as numerous republican members of the House and Senate. Yeah, I'm having a really difficult time seeing these situations as the same.

Yeah I'm just explaining some people who held that belief because they exist, I don't think they're the same and no one ever really said they are but you need this argument for some reason. I love how you're literally always at an 11 in aggro.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are plenty of good Democrats, this is weird and I don't know why we're buying into the "GE Thread" idea that every Democrat is bad and only Bernie Sanders (or fuckin' 95 year old Mike Gravel or something) was an acceptable candidate.

Ideas for replacing Biden

Senators:
Sherrod Brown
Corey Booker
Chris Murphy
Tammy Duckworth
Mark Kelly
Ed Markey
Liz Warren
Ron Wyden
Patti Murray

Governors:
Gretchen Whitmer
Tom Wolf
Jay Inslee

Cabinet:
Gina Raimondo
Pete Buttigieg

House members:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Karen Bass
Ro Khanna
Adam Schiff
Sean Patrick Maloney
Joaquin Castro

Retired/Inactive:
Al Gore
John Kerry
Julian Castro

There's 23 candidates already who meet the (relatively low) standard of "roughly as good or better than Joe Biden, and better than Kamala Harris or (:rolleyes:) Hillary Clinton."

Every one of these candidates has something you can say to disqualify them, sure, but so did Biden and he won. And a lot of his shortcomings haven't really been an issue in office because the President largely follows the lead of Congress and not the other way around.

e: Also if Biden can run at 80 why not Bernie at 81? "Super old left wing chief executive" worked out okay for California.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gatts posted:

4 years later I drive by a Joe Biden billboard that reads “Miss me yet?” and towards a new fresh hell that awaits US

Pretty much. When the alternative is Trump or somebody who managed to out-Trump Trump even more so in racism and fascism, well I'll be campaigning for and voting for Joe Biden without a shred of hesitation. We can't afford to lose our democracy to fascists, not if we want a chance of continuing to try to build a better more just and more equitable nation and to tackle climate change.