Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't think anyone is even saying the economy is "good" right now. Biden himself has been saying there are "problems" and "people are hurting" for the last month or two.

But, the "certain metrics" aren't even showing it as good right now either. From January 2021 through about November 2021, wages were rising faster than inflation - which meant real wages were rising. But, that hasn't been the case for a months and real wages have been trending down since December 2021.

The consumer/public sentiment is basically the worst it has ever been despite the economic situation being nowhere near as bad as 2009 when you had 20+% unemployment, 10+% of people losing their houses, 1/3 of the stock market gone, a reduction in total jobs available month after month for almost a year, and mass unemployment for half a decade following it. Some people are pointing that out - that the perception is far worse than the actual specific damage and people were less pessimistic about a much worse actual economic calamity - but they aren't saying that it is "good."

My theory on this is that during the past 50ish years, and especially the 15 since the great recession, we have hollowed out the ability of a big fraction of the population to weather bad times and increased the reliance of the country on debt. So bad times show up sooner and last longer. Especially since the austerity hawks won the debate in 2008 based on a faulty excel spread sheet. If your past 15 years of existence have been somewhere between poverty and grinding precarity, a relatively small turn-down is going to feel a lot worse than a bigger turn-down when you are doing great. It is a very similar argument that others here are making across the income distribution, but instead across time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao everyone is pissed off and has a bleak outlook for the future and this seems to be a nationwide outlook among everyone and the political class is completely unable to do anything about it. The PNW is the same way. Everything we won in the 2020 protests was just given away at the ballot box. Nothing mattered

One of the reasons I stopped paying attention to US politics is that we don't seem to get anywhere on the big debates of our time: guns, abortion, healthcare, cost of living, etc. They are always just the same debate between "maybe we should do a little better for some people some of the time, as long as the rich get richer" and "grind the poor into a paste for my dog and make sure to turn a profit doing it." The debate here in Los Angeles feels like it is between whether landlords or the police get a bigger share of my paycheck to become even bigger assholes and the answer will likely be both. I'm doing fairly well personally, and I have no hope whatsoever that the American political system at any level will fix any of the problems I am facing, let alone the larger problems that other people are facing.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

This will capture the attention of the commoners, not 1/6 hearings.

I am not sure what you are getting at here but, at someone who is watching economic news and not the 1/6 hearings, why is this bad? I assume the 1/6 hearings will show that a bunch of armed people invaded the capital at the behest of (and with the help of) Trump. So what will paying attention to the hearing get me? Hours of "you are a bad man, sir!" and a few details?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Gatts posted:

With the stock market going down they’ll probably print another 3 trillion, flush it down the toilet to billionaires then blame people earning more for inflation

I know what you mean here, but I like to think you are being literal in that billionaires live in the sewer system like menacing clowns.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

You're confusing political "economists" with economists.

Most economists think people should be paid more money and that's good for the economy.

But policy setters don't.

How can I tell the difference? Larry Summers was (is?) at Harvard and he has been braying to impoverish the people to reduce inflation for months now.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh hey, more evidence they knew the gunman was actively shooting and had been barricaded in with people. No idea if their callousness was directly tied to race but god drat were these police callous about other human lives.

Yeah, they are cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Worth noting here that while green lawns, golf, and the entire idea of Las Vegas are awful things that should be abolished, none of those things is a significant contributor compared to industrial and agricultural usage.

Vegas in particular is very efficient with it's water usage including it's golf courses.

There's farms in California that use more water than the entirety of LA County residential usage. Nestle is sucking the state dry too.

Just to build in this. In CA 50% of the water is allowed to go to the environment, 40% goes to agriculture, 5% to lawns and golf courses, and 5% to other human uses. There are distribution issues (i.e. people in location A can't get water from location B), but the largest human use of water, by far, is agriculture and it makes up like 2% of the state GDP. Please punish lawn-havers and golf courses, but we have to build infrastructure to get water to humans and prioritize that over agriculture.