Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Here we go again...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-wisconsin-officer-kneeling-neck-12-year-old-girl-rcna20826

An off-duty police officer in Kenosha, WI working as a middle school resource officer intervened to break up a fight between two girls. As he was pulling one away, the other girl kept attacking. So, being a cop from Kenosha, he restrained that 12 year old girl the only way Wisconsin cops apparently know how - by kneeling on her neck.

And it was caught on surveillance cameras.

Article in full:

NBC News" posted:

KENOSHA, Wis. — School officials in Kenosha, Wisconsin, released surveillance footage that shows an off-duty police officer putting his knee on a 12-year-old girl’s neck to restrain her amid a lunchtime fight.

The Kenosha Unified School District released redacted footage of the March 4 fight on Friday. It shows Kenosha officer Shawn Guetschow intervening in the fight and then scuffling with the girl, before falling to the ground and hitting his head on a table.

Guetschow, who was working as a security guard at the school, then pushes the girl’s head into the ground and uses his knee on her neck for about half a minute before handcuffing her and walking her out of the cafeteria.

Jerrel Perez, the girl’s father, has called for criminal charges against Guetschow for using a type of restraint that was banned for Wisconsin law enforcement officers last year. He said his daughter is in therapy and seeing a neurologist for her injuries.

The school district initially placed Guetschow on paid leave. He resigned from his part-time security job with the school on Tuesday, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

In his resignation letter, Guetschow complained the school district has not supported him and that the incident has placed a heavy burden on his family. (:qq:)

The district told the newspaper it would not provide any additional details and did not respond to messages left by The Associated Press on Saturday. Kenosha police, in a statement, said Guetschow is still employed by the department.

“We continue our investigation, paying careful attention to the entire scope of the incident,” the statement said. “We have no further update at this time.”

Like, holy gently caress, it's a 12 year old. You don't need to put your body weight on them to restrain them, and there is no reason to loving handcuff them. Teachers used to break up fights on occasion when I was in highschool and they managed to do it without throwing someone to the floor, kneeling on their neck, or handcuffing them.

And then the rear end in a top hat gets put on vacation as a consequence and has the gall to whine that this is all very hard on him.

gently caress cops always, forever and a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
It's kind of amazing that the Democratic Party has openly identified that a.) obtaining the Millennial vote is crucial to winning elections and b.) have identified that pressure from student loans is single biggest issue affecting that group and are still dead set on NOT attracting this crucial voting block by addressing their most pressing issue.

Obviously it's because of lobbyists, but it's still baffling to me they're willing to march towards failure so long as the money keeps coming in.

:capitalism:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Harold Fjord posted:

Those are going to be the results so that is what those people are arguing for.

When you know a consequence of an action and argue for the action you also argue for the consequence.

A current news item related to our ongoing conversation, NLRB is struggling:
https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/1507389089984790534?s=20&t=cV-OexSwhR5HIIfvjr6aPQ

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > US CE Spring 2022: Republicans are more resolved to destroy this place than Democrats are to save it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Biden has proposed a new income tax for wealthy americans for next year's budget.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/28/biden-budget-billionaires-tax-police/7186071001/

quote:

Among the highlights:
  • A new minimum tax of 20% on households worth more than $100 million, which the administration says would address the problem of the nation’s wealthiest individuals paying a lower tax rate than middle-income households. Over half of the revenue from the tax would come from billionaires.
  • $30 billion in mandatory spending to support law enforcement, crime prevention and community violence intervention, including funding for more community policing officers. Another $1.7 billion would be used to expand gun-tracking strike forces. The funding follows Biden’s State of the Union pledge to provide more funding for police, even as some Democrats call for defunding the police.
  • $773 billion in military spending, a 9.8% increase over current levels, to bolster support for Ukraine and strengthen deterrence efforts in the Indo-Pacific and across the globe.
  • Deficit spending is projected to drop by more than $1 trillion over the next decade.

Unfortunately, I can't find more details than that. The other two sources that I can find (that are reputable) are paywalled.

While I don't agree with the increase spending in both police and military, I posted this because I wanted to talk about the wealth tax.

20% seems like a really low income tax to hit multi-millionaires with. I mean, it'll be great if it is able to curb some of the loopholing most businesses do to pay nothing, or even get rebates, but I pay around 30-35% in taxes. Hopefully there is more to this that I don't know about or understand, but this feels like doing the minimum to appear like he's doing something to mollify the masses, but not really affecting the rich. "Normal" people will still be paying more in taxes than the rich will.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The President's budget is basically a messaging document that will get put in the dumpster by Congress immediately.

It's a a minimum tax and not a maximum tax.

Also, you have to be making a lot of money through a salary (in the mid six-figure range) if you actually do have an effective income tax rate of 35%. Are you sure you're not just counting the top bracket or just adding the top rates for all taxes (including non-federal income) together?

I could be calculating my tax bracket wrong, it's very possible. I took the net and compared it to my net pay minus my taxes (both state and federal, admittedly).

fake edit; I was doing it wrong. I googled Tax Bracket for [my state] and it says my effective tax rate is 26%. Still potentially more than what the rich could be paying. I'm assuming they'd have their accountants figure out some fuckery to only have to pay the minimum.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Ghost Leviathan posted:

None of that poo poo matters. Name recognition can be made and a national candidate will get enough funding for whatever the gently caress they want. The point is to make sure only the establishment approved candidates get to that point.

Holy poo poo did I witness this personally with the 2020 election. I was a Bernie supporter, but I live in RI, which was one of the later states to vote. Then super Tuesday happened and then Bernie dropped out. I don't even recall if RI even voted in the primary since by then afiak, Biden was the only candidate left for the Ds.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Iowa also objects and cites a state law that requires they hold a caucus and be the first in the nation.

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but how does Iowa passing a state law allow them to dictate what another state can and can't do? How does that prevent RI from going first? :decorum:?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Ah, ok. Thank you both for the explanation. I understand it, now.

I thought Iowa citing their law that they have to go first was like them calling dibs in a way and being like "We made a law and everything."

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Stay safe, Louisiana goons. There was a chlorine spill near the DOW plant in Plaquemine, LA. There is a shelter in place order while the spill is cleaned up.
https://www.wbrz.com/news/deputies-shutting-down-roads-near-dow-plant-in-plaquemine-after-chlorine-spill/

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Discendo Vox posted:

The issue is entirely the US Senate.

Seems to be a recurring issue...

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Kalit posted:

Hey mods, can you please clamp down on the conspiracy theory of cops shooting children? This thread seems to be spinning it up based on evidence such as....the cops being cowards?

E: I would report a post, but I don't know what to report it as. Also, holy gently caress, there's so many posters jumping on this bandwagon...

Reverend Dr posted:

Hey mods, can you please clamp down on the conspiracy theory of cops shooting children? This thread seems to be spinning it up based on evidence such as....the cops being cowards?

E: I would report a post, but I don't know what to report it as. Also, holy gently caress, there's so many posters jumping on this bandwagon...

The Sean posted:

Hey mods, can you please clamp down on the conspiracy theory of cops blaming teachers for school shootings? This thread seems to be spinning it up based on evidence such as....the cops being cowards?

What's up with the botposting?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Maybe they should consider how their decisions affect 300m American citizens if they want to feel safe. The best way to avoid getting punched in the mouth is to not give anyone a reason to punch you in the mouth.

Edit: Not advocating violence. But they really shouldn't be surprised someone was pissed off about them deciding to remove bodily autonomy from half the population. A decision that doesn't affect them in any way, by the by.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Sample size of one, and all that, but I have no interest in watching the hearings, because I'm fairly certain how this hearing is going and will continue to go.

Dems present evidence and make their case. GOP will grandstand and cry about how they're being unfairly targeted.

5 days later, a vote is held along party lines and nothing fundamentally changes, since the Dems don't want to look like a group of meanies and actually punish their colleagues.

Not saying 1/6 isn't important or something that should be ignored, but you have one side playing with the rules against another side that doesn't give a gently caress about rules. You can't win that game, and so this hearing sadly seems like a waste of time.

E:

Mr Hootington posted:

You want to know something very unsettling too? This last week a couple of widely read online finance publications and a couple of economists were talking about how the consumer is still strong because they have "untapped equity that can be leveraged."

Holy poo poo. "See the economy is fine because people still have things they can borrow against and go further into debt!"

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 10, 2022

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
There's lots of hand-wringing about how it will look if Trump gets prosecuted by the DOJ due to the department's proximity of the president, but it all kind of misses the point that there was an attempted coup on our government, and it was allegedly orchestrated by the president who was voted out and his cronies.

No person should be above the law, president or not. And by not going after someone suspected of doing crimes against the government because people might say bad things (GOP will anyway) is cowardice. By not prosecuting to the fullest extent of the law in this instance sends the message that an outgoing president is perfectly within his right to try to hold onto power by any means necessary despite how how people vote.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jaxyon posted:

Barr effectively defused the Meuller investigation so well that even people who hate trump think it was a big nothing.

Wait, how did Barr manage that? Not arguing against, but I thought it was just Mueller coming out and being like, there is evidence of wrongdoing but I can't make a recommendation either way.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

But how will this affect the midterms!?

Diablo himself is campaigning. Why vote for the LESSER of two evils?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Governor

Shapiro (D): 44%
Mastriano (R): 40%
Undecided: 13%

Did a doubletake when I saw this, thinking that not only Ben Shapiro was running for governor with a D affiliation, but was in the lead.

(Google assuaged my fears by revealing to me that this is actually Josh Shapiro.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

quote:

White House officials also fear there would be no way to prevent consumers from using them for purchases other than gasoline

This part sticks out to me the most. I get they're trying to provide relief from the elevated gas prices, but they get in their own way trying to make sure people don't use their relief the "wrong way." Just send everyone a check with a note, "Here's some money to help with the gas", and trust that people will use it properly. If they don't that's on them. Or maybe they need some extra cash to feed their family and your gas relief check helped them with that instead, and guess what, the gov't will still look good helping people.

Why can't they just help people with no strings attached?

E: probably me getting a little bit :tinfoil: but by making it so the relief can only be spent specifically on gas, it's kind of an indirect relief package to the oil companies.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 17, 2022