Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

:siren:UNLESS SOMETHING CHANGES, THERE IS NO INDICATION OF US MILITARY INTERVENTION IN UKRAINE. DO NOT SPREAD RUMORS ABOUT IT UNLESS IT COMES FROM AN OFFICIAL US SOURCE:siren:

Welcome to the new CE thread. It is just like the same CE thread, except better, because I made it.

If United States news topics get too big for this thread, we will tell people to spin it off into its old thread, much like people being afraid of global thermonuclear war here: :supaburn: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3995624

And another warning: if conversations end up going in circles for endless days we will start probating people based on the "being boring" rule. For example, if someone tries to take the wheel back to endless 2020 primary chat, they will be asked to make a new thread for it. I would suggest for that thread title "2020 primaries: Bloomberg Buddies" or "2020 Primaries: suck poo poo straight out of my rear end in a top hat with a straw".

Some recent news events to get people in the mood:

Don OldYoung, the longest serving Congressperson, died a couple days ago. He sucked.

quote:

At an assembly at Fairbanks' West Valley High School in 1995, Young was answering questions about cutting federal funding for the arts. He said that such funding had "photographs of people doing offensive things," and "things that are absolutely ridiculous." When asked for an example, Young quickly replied "buttfucking",

Clarence Thomas is not dead, but is the hospital for flu-like symptoms: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/20/us/politics/clarence-thomas-hospitalized.html

Here is an interesting article from The Economist about how America's prison system is getting even worse: https://www.economist.com/united-states/2022/03/19/americas-prison-system-is-becoming-more-inhumane

quote:

According to data from the Department of Justice, in 2018 the number of deaths in state prisons hit the highest level since recording started in 2001. Though illness accounted for the vast majority, homicides and suicides also set records. Preliminary data for 2020 show deaths in state and federal prisons increased by 46% over 2019—unsurprisingly, given how fast covid spread inside. Violence may well have increased too, but it is hard to tell, because state departments of corrections often do not release information about it (local jails, which are usually reserved for suspects awaiting trial, are even worse). So evidence is patchy. A single jail in St Louis had four riots last year, as prisoners protested about delays to their court hearings.

Joe Biden is heading to Poland: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/20/biden-to-visit-poland-this-week-00018792

Link to the old thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

some plague rats posted:

Just wondering, under the new regime do we have to respond to this like it's an actual argument, or are we allowed to say "drat, that is stupid as poo poo"? mods?

No, you aren't.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Honestly, I've been hoping the US gets rid of the penny for as long as I can remember having an opinion on it. I do think that the American public would blame the loss of the penny leading to even worse inflation.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm glad this has been a productive talk about the efficacy of sanctions. Perhaps a whole new thread would be better to keep it going.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

some plague rats posted:

Why the rush to change subject? You can just let people talk about stuff, sanctions are currently eventing from the US, right? It's not like we're pushing over people who want to talk about other stuff and slapping the books out of their hands or anything.
Pretty sure that thread would die on the vine, because sanctions aren't a big enough topic to sustain an entire thread, which is what seems to happen every time this gets tried. It comes across as the mods going "stop talking about this, but in a way that's your fault instead of mine".

The scope of this argument is frankly more than just the US and has provided several international, non-US examples. I think it would be more productive to move to a different topic, and considering that the topic has been going on for several days, then there should be enough meat there.

Unless, of course, this topic has the same dozen people sniping at each other about the same things over and over again, and making 40 reports about why this thread sucks when I'm sleeping. If that is the case, I'll make it clear that the thread should move on for that reason. Which is more preferable?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Former Representative Will Hurd is running for the Republican nomination in 2024. He is technically the first candidate to officially enter.

He's going to run as a compassionate conservative who advocates tax cuts, a focus on conservative issues that resonate with black and hispanic voters like school choice and religious liberty, stopping the focus on transgender and CRT issues, and bringing a muscular American foreign policy back to the world after Joe Biden's pullback of America.

Basically, 2002-era George W. Bush.

We'll see how that works for him.

He would also be the only African-American and youngest Republican candidate.

That makes Hurd the only confirmed candidate and the following are potential candidates:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/03/will-hurd-2024-book/629398/

Hurd said he wasn't running in his seat super early after a close 2018 race, and knowing what we know now about how Trump was able to bring in Hispanic votes from South Texas, he would have easily won again. So he is getting getting back on the train pretty early.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I mean...she has a chance.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bugsy posted:

Nancy Pelsoi has covid.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/07/politics/nancy-pelosi-has-covid/index.html

And Merrick Garland, along with bunch of other people including the commerce secretary and Adam Schiff got covid over the weekend at a fancy party as well.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/06/politics/merrick-garland-covid-19/

Oh, I just read an article that she was supposed to go to Taiwan this week - first time a Speaker would come here since Gingrich.

I guess that isn't happening now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Republicans posted:

It would be funny if the last one managed to hang on through nostalgia like the last blockbuster video.

If people are nostalgic for K-Marts they have been gaslit something fierce, or they really liked Martha Stewart in the 90s.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

No and I am fine with that, my memories of K-Mart are of a dying store next to an already dead mall.

In real news, several "traditional fare like border security and small government" conservatives are running against Paul Gosar.

quote:

These challenger campaigns are largely quixotic, run by veterans, political newcomers and local elected leaders who can muster barely a small fraction of the money, organization and news media attention as their incumbent opponents.

They also lack endorsements from former President Donald J. Trump, a critical weakness for Republican voters still loyal to him.

Still, there is precedent for upset wins against powerful incumbents. Just two years ago, Ms. Boebert was a restaurant owner with no elected experience when she ousted a Republican incumbent by running a savvy pro-Trump campaign.

They should note that these upsets are against "their kind" of conservative.

quote:

The latest upstarts are trying to tap into something different: a sense of voter exasperation with fringe views and the unending cycles of provocation and outrage that feel tailor-made to maximize social media clicks and donor response.

Mr. Morgan describes himself as an earnest outsider — a former soldier who opposes abortion and wants to finish Mr. Trump’s border wall. He said he would be conservative but not combative, adding that Mr. Gosar’s ties to white nationalists and censure have tarnished voters and cost the district clout.

“I think people are ready to get along again, to come back together,” he said, sounding almost Bidenesque at times in his appeal to comity.

The message is resonating with at least some Republican and independent voters who count themselves among the nearly 80 percent of Americans who say they disapprove of Congress and want to register their disgust of both parties by voting out any incumbent.

“The Republican Party stinks, too,” said Dale Kelley, a real estate agent in Bullhead City, Ariz., who signed Mr. Morgan’s petition largely because he was an outsider and veteran untethered to Washington.

Some Republican voters said they had grown embarrassed by members of Congress who promoted QAnon conspiracy theories, jeered at Mr. Biden’s State of the Union address or talked of cocaine-fueled orgies.

Coylynn Colbaugh, who runs a turquoise mine with her husband outside Kingman, said the antics “give us a bad name.” She is planning to vote for Mr. Morgan in the primary.

Some also disapproved of a handful of far-right Republicans who voted against measures such as sending American aid to Ukraine, economically punishing Russia or investigating it for war crimes. In Georgia, Jennifer Strahan, a health care consultant who is challenging Ms. Taylor Greene in the Republican primary, has sharply criticized the congresswoman’s rhetoric on Ukraine.

“Our congresswoman is serving as a megaphone for Putin and communist Russia, parroting Putin talking points and belittling Ukrainian freedom fighters,” Ms. Strahan said.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

selec posted:

The one officer in the station’s radio wasn’t working either per NYT.

Either this dude got really lucky or…well, you know.

If you want to call this a false flag, just say that then instead of vague insinuations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"I wish iowa wasn't the first state primary"

finger on monkey's paw curls and now we get to pay disproportionate attention to New Jersey

:getin:

Now is my time to shine

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mastershakeman posted:

Imagine them trying to eat dipped Italian beef

I'm sure they would love it

edit: sadly I couldn't find any photos of Newt Gingrich holding animals in iowa

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

One debate being Price is Right would be pretty good because we get to see (mostly) elderly people try to spin the wheel and Drew needs to go over and help them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tnega posted:

In today's "the only thing we can do is the impossible" news, New Jersey and Oregon are considering lifting their self-serve gasoline bans.

This is very troubling.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A bigger question for me is what Leahy did to drop so much, besides saying he was retiring and giving everyone heart attacks after saying he went to the hospital that one time recently.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This is when I wish pictures could be thread titles.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

When they finally did try to take him down in an organized way, they went all in on family values, abortion, and infidelity to try and sink him with evangelicals. But, they apparently didn't know their base well enough to realize that evangelicals really cared a lot more about the racism and "saying what we're all thinking" than they cared about family values, religion, and infidelity. And once Jerry Falwell endorsed Trump and Trump swore up and down he was as pro-life as they come, the abortion single-issue voters ended up on his side.

I'm going to assume you meant Pat Robertson but I think Jerry Falwell sending messages to the RNC from hell makes alot of sense.

edit: or Falwell Jr.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

They have been unbanned.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Herbster fully loaded

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Paper of Record asks: Why does Connor Lamb Suck so Much?

quote:

Representative Conor Lamb was supposed to be a Democratic rising star — a Marine veteran, former prosecutor and Pennsylvania moderate who had won in Trump territory and swing suburbs alike. Scores of Democratic officials endorsed him in his run for Senate, eager to pick up a Republican-held open seat and have him roll into Washington next year to bridge the partisan chasm.

It hasn’t quite worked out that way.

Mr. Lamb now heads into the state’s Democratic primary on Tuesday on a much less competitive footing than he or his supporters had hoped. He trails by double digits in polling behind John Fetterman, the shorts-wearing lieutenant governor whose outsider image has resonated with the Democratic base.

Two distinct forces appear to have worked against Mr. Lamb: his campaign’s strategic missteps and his misfortune to be running at a time when Democrats, much like Republicans, are rejecting their party’s centrists.

quote:

Some Democrats appear more eager to elect fighters than candidates who might be tempted, like party moderates, to block their priorities.

“ look at him as another Joe Manchin,” said Elen Snyder, a Democrat and member of Newtown Township’s board of supervisors in Bucks County, referring to Senator Joe Manchin III of West Virginia, the Democrat who has stymied the White House on many issues. Her local Democratic committee interviewed Mr. Lamb but declined to endorse him.

quote:

Still, his progressive politics — he was an early backer of Bernie Sanders — and iconoclastic style have made him well-liked by the party base and created an online fund-raising juggernaut. Mr. Fetterman’s approval with Democrats in the state was 67 percent in a recent Franklin & Marshall College Poll, compared with 46 percent for Mr. Lamb.

“Fetterman astutely ran a campaign focused on Democratic voters more than Democratic elites,” said J.J. Balaban, a Democratic strategist in the state.

My stepmom was a really big Lamb booster in 2018 (she's from Pittsburgh.) She is exactly the kind of person who supports the Lamb types - she's old and she's him as a nice young man. I cannot get her to understand what the appeal of Fetterman is.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm OK with it.

I think this is the 2nd time in a month you've posted about someone getting in your face about stuff like this. Please be careful because I would not trust any of these people.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Slowpoke! posted:

We are going to get some wild post-Congress poo poo from Madison Cawthorn for the rest of his life, which given his age, will probably be longer than all of us posting here.

No need to actually pretend to do work, he can join the grift circuit full time. Whenever MTG or Boebert get bounced that's what will happen too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rigel posted:

Looks like the error mostly benefitted the Democrats, though. 5 out of 6 undercounted states was a red state, and 6 out of 8 overcounted states was a blue state. Not really surprising given how the GOP was making GBS threads on the census while the Democrats were making a big deal within their states about getting everyone to respond.

The greater issue is that those red states were undercounting African-American and Hispanic people inside their state. If you're only looking at electoral votes/house reps, then this could be the difference between the just having current one majority-minority district in Alabama or adding another one.

This isn't even looking at the different types of federal funding that gets doled out.

edit: misread Arkansas and Alabama, which currently doesn't even have a majority-minority district. But I think the idea still stands, no matter what the state is.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 19, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

theCalamity posted:

How are we defining authoritarian here? Probably should get a shared understanding of what everyone is working off of

If you want to do that, make a new thread. Not here.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BiggerBoat posted:

Ray Liotta died at age 67

Is that a current event?

If this was the biggest news of the day it would make me much happier.

Not meaning that we need to sacrifice celebs Lottery-style, but you know what I mean.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

selec posted:

It’s just that we observe the same things, but come away with different understandings of what they mean. I think it’s the unbreachable divide of materialist focus and analysis vs a faith in the entrenched liberal hegemon.

If you think you will never reach someone, then why are you still debating the topic?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VideoGameVet posted:

Dallas Morning News:

I don't think the police are going to be able to talk there way out of this mess.

But much like other mass tragedies, this will be seen as the problem of a few bad apples/lone wolves and not the system itself.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Sean posted:

What you linked to was an opinion piece and lists no full, complete, concrete law that supports your argument. Nothing about what you linked to, even the conclusion, supports your argument. It is incredibly clear if you actually read it. He'll, even read the conclusion that you just quoted. It doesn't support your argument with any objectivity. I would say "nice try" but it's not clear that you tried.

Exactly this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just for everyone to know, The Sean is now threadbanned in USCE, and wanted me to quote him and tell everyone this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just in time for summer, it is the new thread! I would suggest the current conversation should be dropped when you move there.