Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Willa Rogers posted:

Who needs t-shirts when Brandon's ratings look like this?

Not even bipartisan furriner-hate & bloodlust have been ratings boons, and those are American traditions.

Biden will leave the office as popular, if not less, than Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

There are plenty of good Democrats, this is weird and I don't know why we're buying into the "GE Thread" idea that every Democrat is bad and only Bernie Sanders (or fuckin' 95 year old Mike Gravel or something) was an acceptable candidate.

Ideas for replacing Biden

Senators:
Sherrod Brown
Corey Booker
Chris Murphy
Tammy Duckworth
Mark Kelly
Ed Markey
Liz Warren
Ron Wyden
Patti Murray

Governors:
Gretchen Whitmer
Tom Wolf
Jay Inslee

Cabinet:
Gina Raimondo
Pete Buttigieg

House members:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Karen Bass
Ro Khanna
Adam Schiff
Sean Patrick Maloney
Joaquin Castro

Retired/Inactive:
Al Gore
John Kerry
Julian Castro

The Democrats are hosed.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

As someone who has worked in a field of where at times you needed to restrain teenagers, I never in my wildest dreams understood why you would kneel on someone’s neck.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yinlock posted:

there's really no reason to do it in any field unless you're some kind of sadistic rear end in a top hat who loves hurting people

also known as "a cop"

Edit - Misread post.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 21, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I think you might want to read that again because I think you both agree. Nobody should be kneeling on necks in any sort of restraint situation.

You’re right. Sorry I’m phone posting.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Good conversation about how we can and why we should nationalize the oil industry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqWPuYR9HE

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why do people here hate Lee Carter now? Why is he an “rear end in a top hat”?

Mellow Seas posted:

Could you give some examples of this pattern? I’m not familiar enough with Northam’s term to know exactly what you’re talking about. What did VA Dems promise young voters and how did they tell them to gently caress off? (Genuine question.)

Yeah same here. Knowing they did a minimum wage increase sounds significant to me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Every day that passes by I become happier that I canceled my DSA membership.

The organization occasionally does good local things but mana they are a joke sometimes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So what did Virginia do when the Democrats were in office? What did they pass other than minimum wage?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

Police reform legislation. Easing of abortion restrictions. Expanded voting rights legislation.

If you haven't reached your WP maximum, you can see an outline of what the GOP is hoping to roll back with Youngkin in the Governor's seat here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/01/11/virginia-general-assembly-session-gop/

So what is the argument that the Dems didn’t do enough come from?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

The election results plus:

Is not exactly a huge win.

Of course the police "reform" bill will end up being as toothless as any other because the police are fundamentally flawed as an institution and banning no-knocks and giving more training is insufficient.

I bet running Carter out hurt them more than it helped

Jesus Christ.

Is it wrong that I feel that my state of Oregon is less shifty than most other states? At least we have near $15 per hour state minimum wage, decriminalized drugs, have a high progressive tax and no sales tax, and allow the homeless downtown.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hearing the reason why Lee Carter as pushed out of politics makes me think of him as a hero. I wish the squad had the guts he had. At least he could Force the Vote.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I get the feeling that the feelings of the Carter controversy can be split between whether you have a Marxist philosophy that politics is a zero sum game to get as much of your ideology in all forms of power as possible; or if you have the liberal philosophy that politics is about disagreeing groups who want to make the world a better place for everyone through negotiation.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The lesson to learn from Lee Carter is that if you don't play the game right, even if the rules are stupid, you lose.

The game is a carnival game though.

The only way to win is to flip the board over.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How are u posted:

What do you mean by "flip the board over"? You mentioned viewing the world through a Marxist framework a few posts earlier, so do you mean a Marxist revolution that institutes full Communism?

I refer to "Marxist" as the belief that groups of people are competing with one another to maintain and gain as much power as possible. In this framework 'politics' are a competition.

"Liberal" refers to the belief that groups of people want to work together for the common interest of a better society, and that any disagreements are by far and large due to either miscommunication or backwards traditional beliefs, rather than fear of losing power.

It's not entirely due to economics but more so how one views the world. Like one could argue that The Financial Times sees the world through a more Marxist lens as oppose to The New York Times that views the world through a liberal lens.

In terms of what I imagine should be done:

Electing more militant left wing officials who don't back down on their beliefs. Punishing those who compromise too much. If Democrats make it impossible to move them an inch than start a third party and use them as a spoiler to scare the poo poo out of them. If they still don't change have the goal for the new party to overtake the Democratic Party.

On the ground he focus should be to build organizations and unions to engage in direct action strategies. There also has to be a focus on recruiting more minorities, working class, and the poor into these organizations/unions as well as to vote for left wing candidates.. The ultimate goal is to have a strong left coalition that fights for the interest and benefit of the public at large.

some plague rats posted:

... some completely anonymous messages, sharing second-hand at best gossip, posted by someone who very publicly hates him? Can we at have some standards when sharing accusations like this?

Yeah, I was fully prepared to poo poo on Carter due to the statements, but the fact that the tweet only has like 300 likes and two dozen retweets should tell how much of a factor it was and how many people bought it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 24, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is there a thread I can read that has posters turning on Lee Carter?

idiotsavant posted:

How do you explain the local DSA, the unions, apparently half of his grass-roots supporters, and seemingly 85% of the rest of the people in VA politics not being able to stand his guts? They were all feckless liberals in disguise? Seriously, maybe the dude is just a toxic jerk.

Is there evidence that half of his own supporters hate him?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

Goon commentary on Lee Carter would mostly be here in the local politics thread which is largely dead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873661

Keep in mind the general D&D rule to avoid repeating discussions that have been thoroughly covered several times before. This thread started discussion of Lee Carter following Willa Rogers posting an article about how McAuliffe lost the Virginia gubernatorial race in part because of a drop in youth turnout: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3997306&pagenumber=7&perpage=40&highlight=carter#post522322357

If we are going to continue to discuss Lee Carter's political career please make sure it is relevant to current events and/or is fresh information or analysis rather than just rehashing.

Thanks for this. I'll drop the Lee Carter conversation for now as everything I can say to him that ties to modern politics that I want to say has been said.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But, the U.S. has very few guardrails compared to other countries, so despite the fact that it "works" for most people most of the time, the bottom 10-15% of the population or people who run into one of the instances where it doesn't "work most of the time" can fall into a pit that would be almost impossible to fall into in other countries.

The general consensus is that it’s roughly 1/5th to 1/3rd of Americans who can’t afford care at all.

The fact that the U.S. is the richest country in the world and #1 in many individual financial/quality of life indicators, but #18 on healthcare is indicative that it is severely underperforming relative to its capacity. It's not "the worst" healthcare system in the world, but it is pretty bad in context.

These indicators rarely factor inequality to the mix.

For example the U.S. sits around the mid-teens in Human Development Index (HDI). However, it barely scraps the top 30 when inequality is factored in with the IHDI, as the U.S.’s inequality is closer to that of mid-income developing nation than an OCED one. In fact it barely makes the “very high human development list” and wasn’t even on there the year prior. And this report is two years old at this point so the U.S. has undoubtedly sunk even further.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Per capita and median calculations by definition factor inequality into the count. Mean or average calculations are subject to outlier skews.

The U.S. has the highest per capita disposable income of any country, even when taking into account taxes and transfers like free/reduced healthcare and education.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/725764/oecd-household-disposable-income-per-capita/

The standard deviation for for distribution in the U.S. is wider than other countries, but the median American has more disposable income than a median citizen of any other country even after accounting for government benefits and taxation.

Your link is locked behind a paywall.

Finding an alternative source for what’s likely the same data, I find these numbers difficult to believe that they take everything into account.

I highly doubt Americans have twice the amount of income to play around with compared to EU members or third more than Canadians.

For example, the majority of Americans can’t afford $1000 emergency. With Canadians that number is less than 40%.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

They do take all transfers into account. It's been true forever. You can find it hard to believe, but it has been true for many years.

The median U.S. citizen doesn't have twice as much disposable income as the average E.U. citizen. Just some countries in the E.U. The median citizen of Latvia, Hungary, and Portugal aren't the median representatives of the E.U. as a whole. You also have to factor in PPP adjustments. In many E.U. countries, you have large amounts of the population living in a single central urban environment with higher costs of living.

~16% of England's population lives in London. For the U.S., the largest city is NYC and only 2.5% of Americans live there.
I mean does "disposable income" really matter if people can't afford healthcare, housing, education, and the like where U.S. lags compared to it's Canadian or EU counterparts?

I find there to be a stark contradiction between data saying Americans are living on the edge more than Canadians yet at the same time having more money to throw around.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

When it includes transfers for healthcare and education, they are factored in already.

How does it "factor in" when less Americans can afford emergency payments and a third of them aren't getting any type healthcare due to cost?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Because when you are measuring outlays and payments and include transfers for education and health, then you are factoring in taxes and monetary transfers.

Very simplified example:

Two people make 50k.

Person A pays 10k in taxes and pays 3k for medical care.

That is a net negative of 13k from your gross income and Person A has 37k in disposable income.

Person B pays 20k in taxes and receives 5k in in-kind contributions for healthcare from the government.

That is a net negative of 15k from your gross income and Person B has 35k in disposable income.

You're also confusing self-reported survey data with actual data from bank accounts and expenditures.

The Canadian data is calculated by bank account info.

Going by bank account data for America, it is at best equal to that in Canada in terms of the amount of Americans that can afford emergency payments.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

After doing more research disposable income is merely income minus current taxes.

This is what the ranking chart linked prior shows.

Discretionary income is what is measured when accounting for all payments and bills such as medical bills, mortgages, childcare, etc.

Wikipedia with Source posted:

Disposable income is total personal income minus current income taxes.In national accounts definitions, personal income minus personal current taxes equals disposable personal income.

Wikipedia with Source posted:

Discretionary income is disposable income (after-tax income), minus all payments that are necessary to meet current bills. It is total personal income after subtracting taxes and minimal survival expenses (such as food, medicine, rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, transportation, property maintenance, child support, etc.) to maintain a certain standard of living.It is the amount of an individual’s income available for spending after the essentials have been taken care of:

Discretionary income = gross income – taxes – all compelled payments (bills)
Despite the definitions above, disposable income is often incorrectly used to denote discretionary income. For example, people commonly refer to disposable income as the amount of “play money” left to spend or save.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's strange how often I find myself reposting this:

South African sanctions is becoming the new Goodwin's Law.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Exactly. Democrats (and their supporters) are likely to never recognize the illegitimacy of the Supreme Court because they are complicit with the lurch to the right and the path to a fascism.

So I guess “lol”

As far as I’m concerned the Supreme Court should be completely ignored. Not only is it idiotic in practice (LIFE appointments? WTF?) but like most justices were put in over bullshit means. Gore won the popular vote in 2000, Hillary won in 2016, Obama should have picked his Supreme Court pick back in 2016. Bush and Trump appointments during their first terms shouldn’t apply.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

selec posted:

The naked illegitimacy of the Supreme Court and the senate are great reasons to doubt the legitimacy of the entire enterprise. We can see the edifice of state being nakedly corrupt over and over again, undeniably so. So where does the faith in the system come from? If an entire third of the substructure is an obvious partisan rubber stamp mechanism and half of another third is an antidemocratic institution designed to subvert popular will by deciding arbitrary units of population (states) all get equal representation, where is the legitimate work product we can point at?

Are there any democracies that don’t have a Senate equivalent?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ignoring the Supreme Court by packing the court or using other means is hardly anything uncommon in democracies. Especially those in the Western Hemisphere.

If the courts are hindering the direction the citizens want to go and we’re initially unjustly then undermining them is completely justified.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Some new interesting statistics on housing by Pew Research.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Nearly half the country's renters are housing cost burdened. A quarter severely so.

Working as intended of course but still holy poo poo

I pay dead on 30% for housing and barely am able to make save money each month while living a relatively comfortable life.

The fact I'm pretty much the median in the country is scary stuff.

Mellow Seas posted:

This graph speaks to something that I had sort of perceived, but hadn't seen specific numbers for: the northeast is getting less expensive relative to the rest of the country. I don't think it's restricted to housing prices, either. Inflation has just been subdued here relative to other places.

I assume part of it is because people are leaving the Northeast and moving to the West and South.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Incorrect. Biden and the democrats can deem the courts illegitimate until they pack the courts to make them legitimate. Recognizing an authoritarian body of evil shits because sometimes they decide to provide people a sliver of human rights is u helpful let alone an unhealthy outlook.

Also worrying “but the other side will then X” is a terrible fallacy that again rewards the abuser. They other side will do it regardless because “rules” are bullshit in this country.

It's something that other democratic nations do all the time. It's not exactly some unholy unheard of radical idea.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I'm not disagreeing or disbelieving you, but I can't find any examples of this.

Dabbling in Wikipedia:

Bolivia in 2009 essentially replaced the entire Supreme Court full stop.

Costa Rica in 1982 expanded their court.

India initially had 8 court members in 1950. This expanded to 11 in 1956, 14 in 1960, 18 in 1978, 26 in 1986, 31 in 2009, to 34 in 2019.

Jamaica nearly doubled their supreme court from 26 to 40 in 2008.

Honduras expanded it's court in 2012.

There is also some interesting tidbits, such as in Romania there are 9 justices, but every 3 years 3 of them have to step down with the President and congress electing them. This means that in just two consecutive government terms a party can have a super majority in the court. This essentially makes the Supreme Court at best a short term guard.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The US Supreme Court is extremely unusual in a lot of aspects, including the lifetime appointments and that there's literally no qualifications required for it. Like. could go full Quinten Trembly and nominate 7 infants to it and there's literally nothing stopping it.

The fact that you can wait literal decades for the court to change in favor of an ideology, even if it has critical mass support, is lunacy. Like even if Bernie Sanders was elected in 2020 he'd have to multiple consecutive terms before having a favorable Supreme Court.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

another chart:

It seems that the wage increases brought upon the pandemic are decreasing as fast as they rose.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

And as I pointed out in response, giving someone $11/hour instead of $10 isn't gonna mean jackshit when their rent & food costs increase by 30 percent.

This may be a regional thing, but over where I'm at minimum wage jobs had their wages spike by near 50%. You have people working at fast food making near $20 per hour.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's almost like if a party ran on addressing this issue they would dominate politics. :thunk:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I gotta admit that for a while I found myself wondering what the perception would be if, instead of Chris Rock, the slappee was...oh....let's say Ben Stiller or Wil Farrell. Trying to think of a relatively well liked white comedian actor. A part of me thinks the narrative might have been a little different if you know what I'm saying.

I see what you mean and agree with your premise, but those aren’t fair comparisons. Both comedians are harmless compared to rock who is known to frequently roast celebrities in personal ways.

The closest I can think of as a comparison would be Ricky Gervais but even that wouldn’t be a fair comparison since Gervais is even more extreme than Rock.

Mellow Seas posted:

Desperately searching for an easily accessible clip of the relevant "I Think You Should Leave" sketch but coming up empty.

(If you don't know the sketch you're just gonna have to watch all of "I Think You Should Leave," you're welcome.)
Lol.
Yeah that sketch is relevant.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kind of interesting to see a poll directly test the NIMBY vs. YIMBY housing questions against each other.

I find it odd to lump categories like "accepting refugees" as neoliberal, but looking at that poll it is little wonder why so many "safe" Democratic voters are embracing the new right.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This did not appear to be the case last October or so. CBP custody times had been shortened to "actually almost tolerable" and ORR had mostly closed, or at least reduced to 'warm' status, their overflow facilities (the places people enjoy calling child concentration camps). This also did not appear to be a simple matter of reclassification. Fort Bliss was the largest overflow facility and also poorly run, and was not afaict simply renamed to a different sort of facility while retaining the abuses and lack of supply.

Do you have a source where I can read more about this? It’s difficult to find current information on the camps.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/1508830772446257160?s=21&t=yIVft7FiCik4Ae0iM4X3Ng

The Democrats are basically just 2000s republicans at this point. Gotta drum up the xenophobia

Oh good. Maybe we can copy things that China does such as nationalizations, five year plans, massive infrastructure spending, single payer healthcare, and abolish private land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Phoneposting rn so I'm not going to be able to do any fancy analysis, but to my surprise it turns out ORR has been releasing daily basic data on the children they're processing (by which I mean "number in facilities today and number discharged today) going back to March 2021. Don't know if they made it publicly accessible recently or if I just missed it last time. It's less important to me than the delayed monthly breakdown with more detailed info, but it's something. https://healthdata.gov/National/HHS-Unaccompanied-Children-Program/ehpz-xc9n

fake edit: the orr data page has summarily keeled over and died on my phone for no discernable reason despite working fine the first time, so I guess I'll be glancing over the monthly data later then https://www.hhs.gov/programs/social-services/unaccompanied-children/index.html

looks like you were correct that a couple hundred unaccompanied minors were housed at Fort Bliss as of December 2021 (reported by the el paso times), when I can look at the data I'll keep that in mind

Your link shows only a 10% decrease from last year.