Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bishyaler posted:

"We can't send people relief because it might be stolen from the mailbox." is the laziest justification for austerity I've ever heard. They're not even bothering to hide that they don't give a poo poo that they caused a gas panic and drove up the price of nearly every product. At this rate they'll be lucky if they only lose the midterms in a landslide instead of triggering an insurrection.

I can't believe Joe Biden moved the "gas prices" lever to "high", he must be a real dumbass.

(No Bishyaler, the president does not control gas prices, even when he's a lib.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's really mind-blowing to me that the IRS stopped sending $300/child a month to millions and millions and millions of families, many of whom have multiple children, and we've heard basically no kvetching about it or really been able to suss out any effect on Biden's approval ratings. But an increase of gas prices that equals (annually) roughly half of the CTC payments for a single child is making the country melt down and making even some of our finest goon "environmentalists" say that "something" has to be done (there's only one thing to do and it's bad.)

e:

Srice posted:

It also ignores the fact that they *have* given people money several times over the past few years in a way that mostly worked fine (there were hiccups but overall it went fairly well and was an extremely popular action!), yet somehow that's too complicated this time around?

(Of course the obvious solution is to just send people cold hard cash into their accounts instead of making it more complicated with cards)
Yeah, direct stimulus payments would be a better solution and not leave out people who have already taken the responsible steps of driving an electric car or not driving at all, which could cause resentment.

Unfortunately as long as the CPI is high sending out direct payments probably won't be too popular (which, like the CTC thing, says a lot about how broken our nation's psychology is on economics.) Maybe it would go over better than I think, though, and it's the right thing to do. Maybe they'll revisit the idea when the IRS's busy season dies down.

\/\/\/\/ not sure how any of this is an actual response to my post...

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 21, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AmiYumi posted:

Best bet to see anyone else is if he dies or ends up in a coma, at which point we get to see Harris lose by record-breaking numbers.
Nobody is losing by record-breaking numbers in the age of hyper partisanship. I could easily see her doing worse than McCain 2008, which I would happily consider a "modern record," but "Goldwater," "McGovern" and "Mondale" aren't on the table.

She could also win because politics are weird. Donald Trump won.

Agree that Biden is very unlikely to not run unless he's having major health problems.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are plenty of good Democrats, this is weird and I don't know why we're buying into the "GE Thread" idea that every Democrat is bad and only Bernie Sanders (or fuckin' 95 year old Mike Gravel or something) was an acceptable candidate.

Ideas for replacing Biden

Senators:
Sherrod Brown
Corey Booker
Chris Murphy
Tammy Duckworth
Mark Kelly
Ed Markey
Liz Warren
Ron Wyden
Patti Murray

Governors:
Gretchen Whitmer
Tom Wolf
Jay Inslee

Cabinet:
Gina Raimondo
Pete Buttigieg

House members:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Karen Bass
Ro Khanna
Adam Schiff
Sean Patrick Maloney
Joaquin Castro

Retired/Inactive:
Al Gore
John Kerry
Julian Castro

There's 23 candidates already who meet the (relatively low) standard of "roughly as good or better than Joe Biden, and better than Kamala Harris or (:rolleyes:) Hillary Clinton."

Every one of these candidates has something you can say to disqualify them, sure, but so did Biden and he won. And a lot of his shortcomings haven't really been an issue in office because the President largely follows the lead of Congress and not the other way around.

e: Also if Biden can run at 80 why not Bernie at 81? "Super old left wing chief executive" worked out okay for California.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 21, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Would the parts of the party currently supporting Biden want to fall behind any of these people? I mean, that's the answer to why Bernie lost in 2016 and 2020 so I don't think in 2024 the moderates will suddenly stomach the idea of backing someone like Bernie or half the names on that list.
That's not a bad point; I suppose it depends on how unpopular or obviously unhealthy Biden is in late 2023.

e: His approval ratings among Dems are usually in the 80-90% range so I think it would be pretty hard to knock him off as things stand now - either he would have to choose not to run, or conditions would have to change.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 21, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

Your inclusion of Raimondo on this list is...really something. Nobody gets anywhere in Rhode Island state level politics without the approving nod from the remnants of the Patriarca crime family.
Fine, then there's 22. I know you have a vendetta (fake e: Italian loan word unintentional) against RI politicians and from what you've said it seems like you have really good reasons for it. I don't even know that much about her, honestly, as I don't follow RI politics, I just know she was governor of a state I visit often and find pleasant enough. gently caress 'er!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

poo poo, I didn't think it'd be that easy of a sell. You gotta try the cleah chowdah next time you're in town if you haven't already!
Oh God I hate that poo poo, although I still prefer it to "Manhattan chowder" (the tomato juice kind). Creamy New England or :getout:!

(I mean of course it's fine if you're into it but there's no selling me on that stuff. :))

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

Don't get it somewhere bourgie like Providence, you gotta go down into Richmond or Narragansett (not the touristy parts) to get the real good clear chowder where they make it the same way the tribe did back before we did a genocide on them.

I'll consider it, most of my exposure is in Westerly (which is also very touristy, of course) or homemade versions from CT (very popular at town fairs in the eastern half) which I'm sure aren't the gold standard but have been made with plenty of love and attention. I didn't know it was a native recipe!

Sometimes I go to a chowder competition in Mystic, CT and almost every year the Westerly High School culinary club wins... with a creamy recipe. :smug: (Of course that's mostly CT palates doing the judging, and also they cheat by giving out free clam fritters with every cup.)

\/\/\/\/ yeah I mean geographically based food preferences tend to make stereotypes out of most of us. Fun derail, dems good or whatever

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 21, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really don't see how this NYT article could possibly be read as a "trial balloon" saying "tactical nukes, the new fun thing everybody's raving about - don't listen to those doomsayers!" The message seems to be "Russia thinks nukes can be used tactically, especially when in a desperate situation, and the US has plans to respond with similar weapons should they cross that threshold (which will have a very high chance of killing all of us)."

quote:

In destructive power, the behemoths of the Cold War dwarfed the American atomic bomb that destroyed Hiroshima. Washington’s biggest test blast was 1,000 times as large. Moscow’s was 3,000 times. On both sides, the idea was to deter strikes with threats of vast retaliation — with mutual assured destruction, or MAD. The psychological bar was so high that nuclear strikes came to be seen as unthinkable.

Today, both Russia and the United States have nuclear arms that are much less destructive — their power just fractions of the Hiroshima bomb’s force, their use perhaps less frightening and more thinkable.

Concern about these smaller arms has soared as Vladimir V. Putin, in the Ukraine war, has warned of his nuclear might, has put his atomic forces on alert and has had his military carry out risky attacks on nuclear power plants. The fear is that if Mr. Putin (ed: NOT Joe Biden or NATO) feels cornered in the conflict, he might choose to detonate one of his lesser nuclear arms — breaking the taboo set 76 years ago after Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Analysts note that Russian troops have long practiced the transition from conventional to nuclear war, especially as a way to gain the upper hand after battlefield losses. And the military, they add, wielding the world’s largest nuclear arsenal, has explored a variety of escalatory options that Mr. Putin might choose from.

“The chances are low but rising,” said Ulrich Kühn, a nuclear expert at the University of Hamburg and the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. “The war is not going well for the Russians,” he observed, “and the pressure from the West is increasing.”

Mr. Putin might fire a weapon at an uninhabited area instead of at troops, Dr. Kühn said. In a 2018 study, he laid out a crisis scenario in which Moscow (ed: not Washington or Brussels) detonated a bomb over a remote part of the North Sea as a way to signal deadlier strikes to come.

“It feels horrible to talk about these things,” Dr. Kühn said in an interview. “But we have to consider that this is becoming a possibility.”

Washington expects more atomic moves from Mr. Putin in the days ahead. Moscow is likely to “increasingly rely on its nuclear deterrent to signal the West and project strength” as the war and its consequences weaken Russia, Lt. Gen. Scott D. Berrier, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told the House Armed Services Committee on Thursday.

President Biden is traveling to a NATO summit in Brussels this week to discuss the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The agenda is expected to include how the alliance will respond if Russia employs chemical, biological, cyber or nuclear weapons.

James R. Clapper Jr., a retired Air Force general who served as President Barack Obama’s director of national intelligence, said Moscow had lowered its bar for atomic use after the Cold War when the Russian army fell into disarray. Today, he added, Russia regards nuclear arms as utilitarian rather than unthinkable.

“They didn’t care,” Mr. Clapper said of Russian troops’ risking a radiation release earlier this month when they attacked the Zaporizhzhia nuclear reactor site — the largest not only in Ukraine but in Europe. “They went ahead and fired on it. That’s indicative of the Russian laissez-faire attitude. They don’t make the distinctions that we do on nuclear weapons.”

Mr. Putin announced last month that he was putting Russian nuclear forces into “special combat readiness.” Pavel Podvig, a longtime researcher of Russia’s nuclear forces, said the alert had most likely primed the Russian command and control system for the possibility of receiving a nuclear order.

It’s unclear how Russia exerts control over its arsenal of less destructive arms. But some U.S. politicians and experts have denounced the smaller weapons on both sides as threatening to upend the global balance of nuclear terror.

For Russia, military analysts note, edgy displays of the less destructive arms have let Mr. Putin polish his reputation for deadly brinkmanship and expand the zone of intimidation he needs to fight a bloody conventional war.

“Putin is using nuclear deterrence to have his way in Ukraine,” said Nina Tannenwald, a political scientist at Brown University who recently profiled the less powerful armaments. “His nuclear weapons keep the West from intervening.”

A global race for the smaller arms is intensifying. Though such weapons are less destructive by Cold War standards, modern estimates show that the equivalent of half a Hiroshima bomb, if detonated in Midtown Manhattan, would kill or injure half a million people.

The case against these arms is that they undermine the nuclear taboo and make crisis situations even more dangerous. Their less destructive nature, critics say, can feed the illusion of atomic control when in fact their use can suddenly flare into a full-blown nuclear war. A simulation devised by experts at Princeton University starts with Moscow firing a nuclear warning shot; NATO responds with a small strike, and the ensuing war yields more than 90 million casualties in its first few hours.

No arms control treaties regulate the lesser warheads, known sometimes as tactical or nonstrategic nuclear weapons, so the nuclear superpowers make and deploy as many as they want. Russia has perhaps 2,000, according to Hans M. Kristensen, director of the Nuclear Information Project at the Federation of American Scientists, a private group in Washington. And the United States has roughly 100 in Europe, a number limited by domestic policy disputes and the political complexities of basing them among NATO allies, whose populations often resist and protest the weapons’ presence.

Russia’s atomic war doctrine came to be known as “escalate to de-escalate” — meaning routed troops would fire a nuclear weapon to stun an aggressor into retreat or submission. Moscow repeatedly practiced the tactic in field exercises. In 1999, for instance, a large drill simulated a NATO attack on Kaliningrad, the Russian enclave on the Baltic Sea. The exercise had Russian forces in disarray until Moscow fired nuclear arms at Poland and the United States.

Dr. Kühn of the University of Hamburg said the defensive training drills of the 1990s had turned toward offense in the 2000s as the Russian army regained some of its former strength.

Concurrent with its new offensive strategy, Russia embarked on a modernization of its nuclear forces, including its less destructive arms. As in the West, some of the warheads were given variable explosive yields that could be dialed up or down depending on the military situation.

A centerpiece of the new arsenal was the Iskander-M, first deployed in 2005. The mobile launcher can fire two missiles that travel roughly 300 miles. The missiles can carry conventional as well as nuclear warheads. Russian figures put the smallest nuclear blast from those missiles at roughly a third that of the Hiroshima bomb.

Before the Russian army invaded Ukraine, satellite images showed that Moscow had deployed Iskander missile batteries in Belarus and to its east in Russian territory. There’s no public data on whether Russia has armed any of the Iskanders with nuclear warheads.

Nikolai Sokov, a former Russian diplomat who negotiated arms control treaties in Soviet times, said that nuclear warheads could also be placed on cruise missiles. The low-flying weapons, launched from planes, ships or the ground, hug the local terrain to avoid detection by enemy radar.

From inside Russian territory, he said, “they can reach all of Europe,” including Britain.

Over the years, the United States and its NATO allies have sought to rival Russia’s arsenal of lesser nuclear arms. It started decades ago as the United States began sending bombs for fighter jets to military bases in Belgium, Germany, Italy, Turkey and the Netherlands. Dr. Kühn noted that the alliance, in contrast to Russia, does not conduct field drills practicing a transition from conventional to nuclear war.

In 2010, Mr. Obama, who had long advocated for a “nuclear-free world,” decided to refurbish and improve the NATO weapons, turning them into smart bombs with maneuverable fins that made their targeting highly precise. That, in turn, gave war planners the freedom to lower the weapons’ variable explosive force to as little as 2 percent of that of the Hiroshima bomb.

The reduced blast capability made breaking the nuclear taboo “more thinkable,” Gen. James E. Cartwright, a vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Mr. Obama, warned at the time. He nonetheless backed the program because the high degree of precision lowered the risk of collateral damage and civilian casualties. But after years of funding and manufacturing delays, the refurbished bomb, known as the B61 Model 12, is not expected to be deployed in Europe until next year, Mr. Kristensen said.

The steady Russian buildups and the slow American responses prompted the Trump administration to propose a new missile warhead in 2018. Its destructive force was seen as roughly half that of the Hiroshima bomb, according to Mr. Kristensen. It was to be deployed on the nation’s fleet of 14 ballistic missile submarines.

While some experts warned that the bomb, known as the W76 Model 2, could make it more tempting for a president to order a nuclear strike, the Trump administration argued that the weapon would lower the risk of war by ensuring that Russia would face the threat of proportional counterstrikes. It was deployed in late 2019.

“It’s all about psychology — deadly psychology,” said Franklin C. Miller, a nuclear expert who backed the new warhead and, before leaving public office in 2005, held Pentagon and White House posts for three decades. “If your opponent thinks he has a battlefield edge, you try to convince him that he’s wrong.”

When he was a candidate for the presidency, Joseph R. Biden Jr. called the less powerful warhead a “bad idea” that would make presidents “more inclined” to use it. But Mr. Kristensen said the Biden administration seemed unlikely to remove the new warhead from the nation’s submarines.

It’s unclear how Mr. Biden would respond to the use of a nuclear weapon by Mr. Putin. Nuclear war plans are one of Washington’s most deeply held secrets. Experts say that the war-fighting plans in general go from warning shots to single strikes to multiple retaliations and that the hardest question is whether there are reliable ways to prevent a conflict from escalating.

Even Mr. Clapper, the former director of national intelligence, said he was unsure how he would advise Mr. Biden if Mr. Putin unleashed his nuclear arms.

“When do you stop?” he asked of nuclear retaliation. “You can’t just keep turning the other cheek. At some point we’d have to do something.”

A U.S. response to a small Russian blast, experts say, might be to fire one of the new submarine-launched warheads into the wilds of Siberia or at a military base inside Russia. Mr. Miller, the former government nuclear official and a former chairman of NATO’s nuclear policy committee, said such a blast would be a way of signaling to Moscow that “this is serious, that things are getting out of hand.”

Military strategists say a tit-for-tat rejoinder would throw the responsibility for further escalation back at Russia, making Moscow feel its ominous weight and ideally keeping the situation from spinning out of control despite the dangers in war of miscalculation and accident.

In a darker scenario, Mr. Putin might resort to using atomic arms if the war in Ukraine spilled into neighboring NATO states. All NATO members, including the United States, are obliged to defend one another — potentially with salvos of nuclear warheads.

Dr. Tannenwald, the political scientist at Brown University, wondered if the old protections of nuclear deterrence, now rooted in opposing lines of less destructive arms, would succeed in keeping the peace.

“It sure doesn’t feel that way in a crisis,” she said.

Doesn't seem like an endorsement to me. There's not a single positively-coded statement about the use of tactical nukes anywhere in the piece. It seems to be reporting on a problem that nuclear experts agree exists. I think reading something like this would make bellicose Americans less likely to support an escalation of the war, not less.

e: They've also changed (?) the headline to The Smaller Bombs That Could Turn Ukraine Into a Nuclear War Zone

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 22, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harold Fjord posted:

There's something to be said about an issue everyone agrees on suddenly coming up as being under debate again, regardless of where you think the article ends up pointing as correct
That's very true, actually, but I don't think it applies in this case because the fact that Russian nuclear doctrine appears to be much, much looser than NATO's makes it a problem worth considering, whether we like it or not.

"NYT shouldn't be giving this oxygen" is kinda like "Dems shouldn't have let CRT become a talking point" - you don't get to decide in a vacuum what matters are "worth" discussing when it's actually bad actors turning them into resonant issues, through sheer insistence.

Agree with VS and TA that the original headline definitely could have had clickbait motivation.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

Alcohol-related deaths in the U.S. soared by 25 percent during the first year of the pandemic:

I wonder whether anyone's done the math on the extent to which "excess deaths" were caused by pandemic-adjacent numbers like these.

The usual amount of deaths caused by alcohol in a given year is about 100,000, so probably about an extra 20-30k 40-60k if they were they up 25%. (e: Right... two years. :smith:)

I've been personally affected by this phenomenon, as I'm sure many have. Hell, the isolation and stress of the pandemic have made me about double up on my cannabis consumption; I'm just lucky that my drug of choice is less toxic than others.

I also continue to wonder if side effects of acute covid infection or long covid have led to once-sustainable drinking habits (where somebody might have previously lived another two decades plus) becoming a death sentence.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 22, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Interracial marriage is now a GOP issue

https://twitter.com/nwi/status/1506366122806943756

It got me wondering if Clarence Thomas would become the swing vote.
I wonder if this is part of a deliberate midterms strategy to say outrageously racist stuff to "force" Democrats to respond, because Democrats usually suffer when race is in the national conversation...

...but I really have to question whether this isn't taking that concept a bit too far, especially when Republicans don't really have to do anything to win back the house anyway. I mean, I'm sure Braun is plenty racist on his own and would probably genuinely welcome a reversal of Loving, but it's so over the top to say it out loud.

e: He doesn't even throw in a "but of course I'm sure every state would choose to allow interracial marriage." (Isn't this something like Roe where the US Congress could pass a bill codifying it, except this one would presumably be able to pass? They should probably put a bill on the floor now.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 22, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the Virginia Model turning out to be 'tell younger voters you'll do things for them, once in power tell them to eat poo poo and gently caress off, then be shocked when they don't vote for you' does put a neat little bow on that dumb chapter of our history

Could you give some examples of this pattern? I’m not familiar enough with Northam’s term to know exactly what you’re talking about. What did VA Dems promise young voters and how did they tell them to gently caress off? (Genuine question.)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
e: nm

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Our very rich don't skew per capita and median measures.

Mean/Average is not the same as Median.
I gotcha loud and clear on median but isn’t “per capita” usually a straight expression of total $/population? I think that eg Bezos WOULD add $10 to the per capita disposable income figure.

E: worded up my mixes

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 24, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

selec posted:

I get being scared of change, or just saying “well it’s not actually a democracy but it’s as close as we’ll ever get” but I couldn’t bring myself to accept that level of humiliation. How much of the government do we have to accept as illegitimate before the whole enterprise can be thrown out? Why bother with laws when they obviously don’t apply to the rich and famous, Eric?
"Throwing out the whole enterprise" has a couple of problems. Smaller problem first:

1. Transitioning from one government/constitution to another is not easy and would produce massive amounts of hardship (if not an outright war), most of which would fall on the most vulnerable

2. Even if you somehow succeed in "throwing out the whole enterprise" you are still in a country where the majority of the people would support things you dislike, because your political views are pretty fringe (not using "fringe" as a pejorative here). If we're transitioning to a "true Democracy" then you have to accept that people are still going to demand (e.g.) low taxes, harsh immigration policies, strong police powers etc. We would undoubtedly continue to have a capitalist/free market system for most goods. People would still want their property to be valuable, and about two thirds of voters own property. You seem to think that "a real democracy" means "the things I want will happen," ignoring the fact that vast majorities of Americans don't necessarily want the things you do.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

selec posted:

None of this goes to supporting the legitimacy of what we currently have though; if I’m reading this right you’re just addressing that change is hard (agree) and would be violent (agree; the rich won’t go quietly) and that maybe people want different things.

How does any of this affirm or undermine the legitimacy of the current situation?

It doesn't, but my quibble is not with the idea that much of our current government (particularly the Senate and Supreme Court, which are linked problems) is illegitimate, just that said illegitimacy is not, in my view, anywhere near a point where "throwing it out" is a sensible way to deal with it. I think we are much more likely address things with peaceful activism, elections and non-political cultural shifts (by which I mean changing attitudes - it wasn't government action that made people realize weed was safer than alcohol, or that gay people are normal people who deserve full rights; the government has begun to act on those issues because public opinion has changed, due to the work of artists and activists.)

Our government was once much more illegitimate, when you consider denying suffrage to women and the poor, or slavery, or legally enforced segregation. These things have been addressed, without throwing out the 1789 Constitution. (One, of course, required a war.) Things can be addressed. For all the ruthlessness Republicans leveraged to steal SCOTUS seats, Democrats are successfully appointing a great justice right now - because if you keep Republican power limited enough, then they can't stop that.

I'm advocating patience because the downsides of hitting the "abort" button and starting over would be extreme (my #1 point), and because the upsides may never actually manifest themselves and you could easily end up with a worse government (my point #2), because not enough people have been persuaded to favor good, left-wing policy.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

What would be the threshold to hit abort?
Iunno, obviously everybody's is different. Like I said, in my view, things can be addressed, progress is just very slow because "good things vs. bad things" is currently a 50/50 proposition among the public (which starting with a new constitution would not address). There is a point where it would appear, to me, that voting and conventional political action was no longer effective - like, if January 6 had been successful, that would be one such red line. (I know a lot of people already think voting doesn't accomplish anything but I'm not trying to have that derail for the 100th time.)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harold Fjord posted:

Actually if the Democrats started loving trying they wouldn't lose so many loving elections.
We shouldn't pretend that Republicans aren't also trying, and don't also set their positions with a goal of maximizing their electoral benefit (which is how a two party system remains competitive).

You don't win contests automatically by "trying," and losing is not evidence of a lack of effort. If the Red Sox go out and get one-hit by Gerrit Cole, does that mean that the Red Sox are weren't trying, or does it mean that it was impossible to hit Cole that night? It's a contest! Both sides are trying extremely hard. It's a pretty even matchup and both sides have a lot of talent and data on their side. (Over the long term, the Red Sox do get a lot of hits off of Cole, and Democrats do win a lot of elections. If they didn't win any elections things would be much worse.)

That's before you even consider that Republicans reap the benefits of general American attitudes on xenophobia, taxation, religion, socialism, and on and on.

Willa Rogers posted:

Although the results definitely are influenced by partisanship, the fact that slightly less than a majority of Democrats trust Biden to "effectively handle a crisis" is pretty dang :raise: and shows the drawback of nominating & electing a barely sentient elder during the most-recent most important election ever.
I mean the poll is phrased kind of oddly; a more charitable reading would be that 90% of Democrats have "some faith or complete faith" in Joe Biden to handle a crisis.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"I refuse to acknowledge that battles are sometimes extremely difficult to win and that people making a good faith effort to win them sometimes fail" is just such a loving out-there stance. I can't really engage it with it. It just goes against everything I know about... everything. But you guys do yous.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This graph speaks to something that I had sort of perceived, but hadn't seen specific numbers for: the northeast is getting less expensive relative to the rest of the country. I don't think it's restricted to housing prices, either. Inflation has just been subdued here relative to other places.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I assume part of it is because people are leaving the Northeast and moving to the West and South.
Yeah, honestly it's weird it took this long. We are now entering the very lovely part of the year that annually does just enough to convince me another November-to-March is acceptable.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Riptor posted:

Violence is okay if your feelings are really really hurt

I mean, "violence," yeah, technically, but he hit him once, with an open hand. It's a lovely reaction and shouldn't be celebrated, but I'm willing to forgive Smith for it if Rock is (they've known each other a long time, since before this dead comedy website even existed). Smith certainly wouldn't have had any grounds to complain if he had been charged, but I'm okay with him "getting away" with it. The fact that this minor (if extremely public) interpersonal tiff between longtime friends/rivals, with no actual physical damage done or continuing danger, is being resolved without cops and lawyers is fine.

The fact that poor and unremarkable people don't get similar treatment is a separate issue that charging Will Smith with battery wouldn't really do anything to fix.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not to get too :tinfoil: but we should also keep in mind that the Oscars are a failing enterprise that is always on the hunt for viral moments, and as men in their 50s Rock and Smith's careers are in constant danger of decline and they can always use some juice themselves (especially Rock). The entire thing could've been a publicity stunt.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calibanibal posted:

Imagine. Can you imagine it? I can't stop imagining it. Complete humiliation. The undisguised disdain as she looks at me and I know, that in her eyes I am no longer a man.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Desperately searching for an easily accessible clip of the relevant "I Think You Should Leave" sketch but coming up empty.

(If you don't know the sketch you're just gonna have to watch all of "I Think You Should Leave," you're welcome.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 28, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jaxyon posted:

The catch is this is too late and it won't matter because the structural biases of the electoral college system will likely render Dems unable to win a presidency despite winning the popular vote.
Eh... that's hard to say for sure. The Democrats had an electoral college advantage as recently as 2012. (Clinton erroneously thought they still did in 2016.) You don't know that Wisconsin won't swing back towards solid blue, or that North Carolina and Arizona won't go the way of Virginia, or that the Texas thing might someday actually happen, or what. The GOP has a lot of unfair advantages but on a pure presidential power level, I would rather be the party that's won the popular vote in seven of eight elections than the party that's been able to take advantage of a convenient distribution to steal two of those seven.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How dare one assert that Republican voters care about female candidates' attractiveness just because they talk about it obsessively whenever it comes up. (Agree that the initial phrasing was a little iffy but c'mon.)

e: Rich Lowry, currently editor-in-chief of the National Review (a "serious" conservative publication), wrote this following the 2008 VP Debate. It's approximately 100% as creepy and weird as Beto leg cramps but with worse gender politics:

Rich Lowry posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, "Hey, I think she just winked at me." And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America. This is a quality that can't be learned; it's either something you have or you don't, and man, she's got it.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 29, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's basically subjective and nobody can really quantify it for sure!

Historically, and the belief is that it would continue to be the case, that a national election strongly favors the person with the most money and name recognition.

Doing it in blocks takes away from that advantage, but also introduces different biases. They have just decided that the various other advantages and biases introduced that way are more fair than requiring an expensive and massive national political organization or pre-existing fame.
Yeah I think the argument that starting with smaller states opens up the field makes sense, although you could also argue that the initial outlier results don't extrapolate out very well, as most of those Iowa long-shot winners sputtered out by Super Tuesday. But Obama certainly wouldn't have won a single-day national primary and I don't think Biden would have either.

In terms of fixing the other biases that come about by starting with small states, not starting with the 4th and 7th whitest states in the US is a great place to start.

Willa Rogers posted:

I didn't report the post; only expressed the flashback effect to me. I don't care what Lowry has to say on anything, but I will note that you're ventriloquizing on behalf of GOP voters in your defense of the creepy post.

"Now me, I'm enlightened, and would never base my vote on a candidate's looks. However, those people over there certainly would" is how it comes off, in other words.
Sorry, I continue to find your outrage at people "ventriloquizing" GOP voters hilarious considering your history of blanket statements about "liberals."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay time for pedantic responses to very small issues I have with LT2012's very informative posting today :v:

Do you think Mike Huckabee, Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz, Tom Harkin, Rick Santorum, and Barack Obama would have won a national election the way they won Iowa? Rick Santorum would never be anywhere near a top candidate in a national election.
Harkin is actually a bad example of a longshot Iowa winner: He was an Iowa Senator so nobody even bothered campaigning there in '92 as he was basically assumed (probably correctly, in the context of 1992 politics) to be unbeatable.

'92 is also weird in that the eventual winner was pretty much unknown before the primary but also didn't win any of the first five states.

Assuming they weight each category equally, it seems like the states most likely to be on the shortlist for the first five (depending on how they end up defining "small state" and whether some of the states would hold primaries instead of caucuses) based on the draft criteria are:

New Jersey
State-level patriotism requires me to point out that if you're not ruling out New Jersey for the NYC media market issue, you can't rule out CT either. (Half the size, and roughly similar diversity.)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CT has a 12% higher non-Hispanic white population, a larger Democratic margin in 2020, and lower union rates. So, it is basically New Jersey, but slightly worse (according to the draft criteria).
Honestly as somebody who lives in CT and likes it more than most people here, "New Jersey, but slightly worse" is basically how I think of it, but the parenthetical is still appreciated. :v:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

Oh, I meant to post this, too: Biden's new budget calls for spending $34 million to hire more lawyers to prosecute 1/6 Never Forget :911: :

So glad that he's resolved soaring costs for medical care, housing, food & energy and can move on to the things that matter to most a handful of voters.
Are you seriously complaining about a request for 0.06% of the SNAP budget to prosecute a coup against the government of the United States?

Willa Rogers posted:

Where do you see a Biden-Nontrump match-up?
If Harris can beat DeSantis, the second-hottest GOP candidate, then I think it's safe to assume that Biden would beat anybody but Trump among the same set of respondents. But I'd also be interested in seeing some specific numbers.

\/\/\/ lol

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm complaining about spending tens of millions more money on a show trial that polls say voters don't give a poo poo about instead of funding or expanding funding for stuff they do give a poo poo about.
:rolleyes: okay

"Tens of millions" in a $4 trillion budget rounds down rather emphatically to "zero"

e: edit got long, made new post because LALD deserves his own reply

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 29, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

And .06% of 4,000,000,000,000 is still more than I'm gonna see in medical debt relief from the federal government.

Well yeah you're one person, the government forgives much more than $34 million in medical debt each year through a weird process you may have heard of called "bankruptcy" (not to mention that it is the primary source of healthcare funds for about 30-40% of the population through the VA, Medicare and Medicaid).

Also it's 0.06% of sixty billion, the SNAP budget, which itself is 1.5% of the federal budget.

0.06% of 1.5% is 0.0009% of the federal budget.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Honest question, do you really think it's the exact numbers people are upset with and these corrections will help or is it just an impulse to correct people when they're wrong?
Honest answer: If you have a problem with an appropriations request of 0.0009% (less than ten percent of one percent of one percent) of the federal budget to prosecute an attempted coup then you are making your determinations out of something besides rational thought; perhaps a compulsion to find fault with every decision ever made by a certain political party.

I also think the human brain has a real problem in the interpretation of gigantic numbers than end in -illion and people are not appreciating just how little money $34 million is for the federal government.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ why would we expect a DOJ appropriation to do any of these things? The purpose is to prosecute a major crime. :confused:

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 29, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean at this point, sure, I'll accept that quantitative reasoning is not factoring into people's reactions to the request.

Let's also note that Biden's proposed budget (which, as LT2012 says, is a symbolic document with zero chance of passing and we're just getting another CR) -

1. Increases funding for assisting the homeless by $580 million
2. Increases funding for housing assistance programs (vouchers, etc) by $6.4 billion
3. Includes an additional 1.8 billion for the administration of Social Security (fewer eligible people will miss out on benefits)
4. Increases funding for tribal communities by $1 billion
5. Increases funding for lead removal by $40 million
6. I'm just gonna stop here, I think I've made my point

e: oops forgot source: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/budget_fy2023.pdf

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 29, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes a lot of the moderate suburban voters who turned against Trump because he was so publicly disgusting would not have to worry about that with DeSantis
That's definitely true, but there are also definitely a lot of marginal "culturally conservative" voters who found Trump exciting and would just see DeSantis as another boring politician not worth wasting part of your Tuesday for. Either could win or lose. There's also the interesting question of, if Trump isn't the candidate, will he be able to keep himself from saying things (either negative or "supportive") that hurt the actual candidate?

Honestly the GOP is in a really tough spot here and I don't envy them. And after two years of Republicans reminding people of what they do when they have some power (and Rick Scott has helpfully laid out their priorities) they are not going to be in as advantageous of a spot as they are this year, and I think that in either case Trump is going to be more of a liability for them than an asset.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Killer robot posted:

For a little background on why there was a debate as to whether Hunter's dick pics came from a real live laptop via a really convoluted set of circumstances, or from a cloud hack: it wasn't anything to do with whether the evidence of Hunter doing 9/11 was on it. It wasn't even just about whether any of it had been altered. It was because having purchased a real live laptop abandoned according to a repair shop agreement would give media outlets legal cover for publishing all the salacious details of a private citizen's cocaine habit and dangling penis, while publishing files from a cloud hack could open them to the same sort of revenge porn lawsuits that took Gawker down.

Regardless of which it actually was, even news agencies eager for Hunter dirt and desperate for a Trump win smelled something fishy there and didn't leap on it until the story had cycled through a few more hands of plausible deniability.

All of this would have been different if the files had something clearly tying shameful photos of private citizen Hunter Biden to illegal actions by presidential candidate Joe Biden vs "Look, they're both named Biden!" At the time there was nothing that even Fox and the like was ready to stand beside, as much as a lot of people were crossing their fingers and praying about it.
Yeah I'm honestly a little surprised to see people here talking about Hunter's laptop...? We didn't really get any new information about it, except that the Times was able to confirm that the emails on the laptop were real - which everybody always knew was possible-to-likely, given how they, you know, had all those pictures of Hunter having sex and doing drugs, so it was pretty believable that they would also have some of his email. The laptop has still not been confirmed to be authentic and at this point probably never could.

Obviously Hunter Biden (and all Bidens, for that matter) should pay whatever consequences are appropriate for whatever crimes he committed. But yeesh, I feel like it's June of 2016 and Chuck Todd is talking to me about the "drip, drip, drip" of Hillary's Emails.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

plogo posted:

I think it's worth noting that ur-liberal outlets were talking about some of the issues people have raised in reaction to laptop story well before the laptop story.

This is from a year before the election.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/08/will-hunter-biden-jeopardize-his-fathers-campaign
Yeah, I mean, Hunter is very obviously an embarrassment (like Roger and Billy before him), and the way he's enriched himself off his father's name is even moreso. But his father's chief political rival tried to overthrow the government of the US, and his next-most-likely 2024 opponent is strolling down the road towards re-criminalizing homosexuality, so I don't think it's a surprise nobody really gives a poo poo, unless they hate Joe Biden for political reasons.

(Not to mention that there are plenty of far more sensible things to disapprove of Joe Biden for.)

If it ever comes out that Joe was getting a cut of Hunter's earnings or doing favors for his benefactors, obviously that's a different situation. But there doesn't seem to be much evidence for it.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 31, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
An important thing to remember vis a vis "censorship" (I think LT mentioned it yesterday) is that the media faces certain amounts of liability for reporting on hacked/stolen material that it does not face for reporting on an abandoned laptop, and so the actual abandoned-laptop story being impossible to confirm* means that there are legal issues involved with reporting on its contents.

Now, this is a bad law, because if there was actually evidence of the President doing something illegal or deeply troubling that was recovered from a hacked iCloud account, it should be 100% legal to report on it. But it is what the law is, and it's what mainstream outlets are taking into account in reporting or not reporting aspects of the story (particularly the more pornographic ones).

* I think it would actually be very possible to confirm that the laptop is actually fake, and it probably has been, but not in an ironclad enough way to report confidently - i.e., any files on the laptop that are personally identifiable as being property of Hunter were also stored on his iCloud account at the time it was hacked, with a lack of any local files relating to his legal work, or non-cloud pictures, or records of other email accounts he's used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

and right now, 'this whole thing is made up' has shown to be a far more egregious changing of the facts than the right wing tabloid's presentation.
I dispute how common of a position "this whole thing is made up" is, certainly in D&D - I mean, we all know they had verifiable (non-deep fake) pictures of Hunter Biden boning down and smoking crack. (And, most gross of all IMO, getting veneers.) It was pretty implausible to ever say "the whole thing" was made up, although I'm sure some of your favorite hate-reads on Twitter alleged that it was.

(Also, I can easily see that nobody ITT is arguing it right now, which makes me question why you keep bringing it up.)

As for the emails that require further followup ("kickback for the big guy," "I look forward to meeting your father"), those were reported on in mainstream news outlets months ago, and nothing suggesting they're tied to real crimes has been produced.

And to be clear, you are alleging that "this is nothing" is farther from the truth than "this proves Joe Biden is a foreign agent trying to defraud the United States," which is the true right wing media position, and both (A) a pretty clear "no puppet, you're the puppet" and (B) completely unsupported by evidence.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 31, 2022