Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's just a description of things that are happening. That's why you got powerful descriptive words like 'feel' in the headline.

Tag yourself. I'm the implied 'some' that aren't actually all that concerned about nuclear war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's something to be said about an issue everyone agrees on suddenly coming up as being under debate again, regardless of where you think the article ends up pointing as correct

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Not all of us want Communism

Correct, only us leftists.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

and it is not the only answer or even the default answer.

:wrong:

You may achieve limited control of capital within some nations, but that only works because it has other places to go abuse people.

RBA Starblade posted:

Considering the current state of communism, it seems to be a wrong answer.

Failed, sabatoged really, attempts to create the thing are not themselves the thing.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 23, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Global Communism seems like a great way to get a ton of people that don't want to live that way pretty mad at you. Also your argument also applies to communism so I don't see how it invalidates regulated capitalism while not also invalidating Communism.

gently caress those people. I'm not sure I understand the second part. Yes capitalism will fight against efforts to bring about communism just like it fights against regulation. Harder even. Doesn't change the nature of the fight.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 23, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Sounds like Russian capitalists are just as horrible as American ones. Jacking up the prices because they have a vague explanation for doing so.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The main thing other elected office holders were mad about was that he "messed up the legislative calendar" by trying to force a vote for something that wasn't going to pass and didn't tell anyone beforehand, so nobody was prepared and they had to delay votes on other things and he "disrespected" his colleagues by not warning anyone and they voted it down 83-13.

AFAIK this never actually pushed anything off the calendar, but was the explanation given. That and "too online" where it has been claimed his posting about his divorce would have caused a 5% swing against him if not for the valiant boots on the ground.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Seems like a good way to get Florida schools barred from participating.

I don't know any organization that would put up with being told some participants insist on declaring themselves the winners of its events.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what is the argument that the Dems didn’t do enough come from?

The election results plus:

quote:

a minimum wage hike — from $11 an hour to $12
Is not exactly a huge win.

Of course the police "reform" bill will end up being as toothless as any other because the police are fundamentally flawed as an institution and banning no-knocks and giving more training is insufficient.

I bet running Carter out hurt them more than it helped.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kalit posted:

It kind of sucks that McAuliffe changed stance on the right to work repeal might have been a big reason of why he lost, doesn’t it? Especially when more than 2/3rd of the state supports the right to work law.

The party made it very clear they were never going to pass that law, so why would his stance have affected the outcome?

The "might" is doing some seriously heavy lifting.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What is this Carter did domestic violence talk about? Everything I can find is about him talking about being abused and predates all of that RTW stuff.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 24, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

I've never heard any of it but several people in this thread seem to think there's something to it.

He opened up about being abused back in 2019.

It's pretty hosed up to spread rumors like that, even if you can't get sued about it. Sources would be appreciated.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Wait I'm confused I thought he lost his support because of his public flameout? Now he lost it before that?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There is no "win" because there was never any winning. Some of those people now have recorded a vote they didn't want to have and it can be used against them by Republicans as easily as primary challengers. There is hope for change in the imperial core, but not today.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The business Dem who won or the leftist who split the vote?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Also, apparently Dr. Oz was appointed to the President's Council on Sports, Physical Fitness, and Nutrition by Trump and is still there.

But, Biden has asked him to resign or be fired by 6 pm tonight.

Honestly not sure which is more confusing: That he was there in the first place or that they bothered to kick him off after a year of being there into Biden's term.

https://twitter.com/DrOz/status/1506747211257978889
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1506752795604656130

Lol. What a goober. It's clearly a Hatch thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Just FYI, they can't actually hold it against you in your review or penalize you financially for medical appointments under FMLA. Sometimes, you might have to invoke FMLA yourself if your employer doesn't want to let you know about it.

They don't have to pay you for FMLA time, but they can't mark it against you and if there is any perception that they fired you or penalized you for FMLA-eligible time, then they can have major problems. Ongoing maintenance or recurring treatment for a mental or physical illness (addiction is considered a illness) will always be covered under FMLA.

You just can't exceed 12 weeks in a year. And your employer has to be bound by it, so it doesn't apply to small businesses with only a dozen people. I doubt a factory would ever fall under that, though.

What they can actually do is find every other acceptable excuse to harass you. And often they do.

Many people can't afford to get fired even if they might eventually win a lawsuit about it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think VBC is correctly describing what is theoretically tenable in our current system if the Democrats were anything but controlled opposition. We can wait and see what actually happens and I agree with selec's take there that it is unlikely anything substantial will.

If Biden did that I do think it would work I think Republicans would raise holy hell and everyone left or liberal would laugh in their face. I just really don't think the Democratic party has it in them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Got to seek those rents where you can

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
As long as the suffering of the underclass isn't the intent, it should be fine.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think everyone ignoring all the courts was what was proposed.

Presumably in this world of Democrats who give a poo poo they will also do something about these red States. Of course this is all pure fantasy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fart Amplifier posted:

They'd have literally no authority to do anything about red states. And even if they did, you'd have Trump or some other republican coming in, ignoring SCOTUS and cleaning up the blue states
Actually if the Democrats started loving trying they wouldn't lose so many loving elections.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Which part? The part where Dems ever care enough to do this? Cuz I already pointed that out, it's hardly a rebuttal.

It's what should be done. It's what needs to be done.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's not electoralism to talk about things that the currently elected officials could and should be actively doing, though for obvious reasons those arguments directly relate to the question of the effectiveness of voting for those same elected officials.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Those are going to be the results so that is what those people are arguing for.

When you know a consequence of an action and argue for the action you also argue for the consequence.

A current news item related to our ongoing conversation, NLRB is struggling:
https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/1507389089984790534?s=20&t=cV-OexSwhR5HIIfvjr6aPQ

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

None of those make the argument you wish they had made.

And again, you're arguing that if they were, they were right.

Wrong. It is very possible to argue that sanctions by the US government are bad because they hurt the citizenry and that dramatic change is necessary in the US even if it might hurt the citizenry.

The converse is hypocritical.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Purpose is irrelevant, taxes on the poorest are harmful. But sanction talk is just a distraction

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I mean if that's all they're doing I'm not sure why Psaki said we were destroying the Russian economy so it sounds like your disagreement is with the WH

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Papercut posted:

Doing the opposite and ignoring the politics, context, or simple fallibility of off-the-cuff comments is no more insightful.

Also the sanctions under discussion are those on Russia.

Actually, sanctions, in general, were under discussion, as a counterpoint to arguments based on undesired but likely/all but guaranteed harms to the vulnerable. Saying "Russian sanctions written don't harm the vulnerable" doesn't change that the US bipartisenly enacts sanctions that do.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 25, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Papercut posted:

Psaki's comments were about Russian sanctions not Afghanistan.

Bishyaler's claims about regime change, or at least the posters he quoted, were all about Russia.

Agreed. His broader point is correct even if his example isn't. This is why he is changing examples.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 25, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Regime change at home only. It is base hypocrisy to support it abroad but not here.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The "sliver of protection" is a lie. Republicans have never cared about any gentleman's agreements. They bind liberals with them then ignore them at their leisure. They are willful hypocrites who feel no shame

it's on the box

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 27, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's just intentionality handwaving. "I didn't mean to" is a classic way of denying accountability, including when children starve.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
E: No snark about CE? New rule?

So then they're saying the guy that stole an election for himself also stole an election for the Democrats?

No one was ever punished for it and no one will be, unless of course the Rs punish him for not being evil enough.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's the same buy-in and Pascal's problem for everything democratic (third party vs internal Dem insurgency vs etc, climate change, covid). Our individual actions are wiped out by whatever the masses decide after they watch the news.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm very anti violence and I think what happened there at the Oscars was perfectly acceptable

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think in any circumstance where someone insults someone else's wife, gets a solid smack, and everyone moves on, the cop should not be involved.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Flattening that slap into the same amorphous blob of "violence" that encompasses murders and war crimes is not as persuasive as you might think.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Nah, you don't get to use the motte and bailey here

What?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The awards are not a roast. Mocking medical conditions is lovely. Your fat friends see how you talk about Donald Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Saying "the joke is bad, but not as bad as you are making it out to be". Is defending the joke
Especially when the joke is as bad as it's being made out to be.