Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gatts posted:

4 years later I drive by a Joe Biden billboard that reads “Miss me yet?” and towards a new fresh hell that awaits US

Pretty much. When the alternative is Trump or somebody who managed to out-Trump Trump even more so in racism and fascism, well I'll be campaigning for and voting for Joe Biden without a shred of hesitation. We can't afford to lose our democracy to fascists, not if we want a chance of continuing to try to build a better more just and more equitable nation and to tackle climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think that Biden was chosen by the primary voters more than anything because they thought he would beat Donald Trump, which was the #1 priority of every single Democratic voter in 2020. I don't think it was because everybody decided that they just love Biden so much more than any other option. I'm pretty sure Biden wouldn't have won out if his opponent hadn't been exactly who he was, and the threat of re-election was so, so deeply dire.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

Every day that passes by I become happier that I canceled my DSA membership.

The organization occasionally does good local things but mana they are a joke sometimes.

I'm still on my local chapter's mailing list (because it's amusing to receieve an email every once in a while that starts with "Comrades, " lol) but last I saw their leadership had atrophied and they were basically begging people to show up to the next meeting to try and elect new leaders. Didn't sound very healthy. When I last interfaced with them in 2020 I attended a meeting that had around 10 people show up.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hearing the reason why Lee Carter as pushed out of politics makes me think of him as a hero. I wish the squad had the guts he had. At least he could Force the Vote.

I'm more of a mind that politics is about getting things done. If you're grandstanding to the point that you alienate all of your allies while also failing to accomplish your objective I don't think you're doing it right.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

The game is a carnival game though.

The only way to win is to flip the board over.

What do you mean by "flip the board over"? You mentioned viewing the world through a Marxist framework a few posts earlier, so do you mean a Marxist revolution that institutes full Communism?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Regarde Aduck posted:

I can understand the first two but you do not, in any circumstance, want Boris Johnson and his more insane friends running anything. We are a trashfire nation, making all the same mistakes as the US but without the economy to bruteforce our idiotic national decisions to success.

I don't care for the longing for somebody on the 'outside' to come in and "fix" (with real big air quotes, especially in the context of Xi Jinping or Vladimir Putin, good lord) our problems, in general. I think that type of thinking distracts from the necessary fact that we ourselves are responsible for fixing the hosed up and awful parts of our society. We are the change we have been looking for, as a wise man once said.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

some plague rats posted:

The US government doesn't care about genocide at all, and claiming that's why the US is getting involved is obviously not true, so looking suspiciously at what they're upto seems sensible. Not sure how your grandparents being Ukrainian contradicts that point?

I think the US government cares about some genocides, and cares about some genocides more than others. We clearly care about the genocide Putin is trying to enact in Ukraine. We care enough about the genocide the CCP is enacting in Xinjiang enough to make some noise about it, but not enough to do more than that at the moment. We don't care enough about a genocide we have already enacted ourselves, the genocide of the Native Indigenous peoples of North America at our hands, to spend the required resources to ameliorate the legacy of such (although that has started to change a little bit under Biden's ARPA and IIJA!).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In addition to the start of overt action we've been seeing, Putin's been troublingly vocal (most notably in The Rant that had some people on the fence about Russian invasion go "well balls guess it's happening") about buying into a pretty unpleasant far right narrative on Ukraine.

- Ukraine isn't a real country, it's part of Russia
- Ukrainian isn't a real language, it's a Russian dialect
- Ukrainians aren't a real culture, they're confused Russians
- We need to abolish these fake delineations and bring them back into the loving embrace of their real country
- They've also been brainwashed by decadent westernness so we should do something about that too

In the event of a total Russian victory, he's not going to wipe out Ukrainians en masse unless they could be described as dissidents or journalists. A dedicated campaign of Russification by a far right occupying power is still, you inow, bad.

Indeed, it is genocide. Same thing as putting Native Americans in boarding schools to erase their culture, language, community, and identity.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, that's pretty much everybody at least in my experience. Makes for a lovely bumper sticker though.

I really really think that the dem's messaging and marketing needs a lot of work.

Oh for sure. Messaging needs a lot of work, marketing needs a lot of work, candidates need a lot of work, leadership needs a lot of work. It's an ugly big-tent party full of a mix of awful people and good people.

Unfortunately it is also the party that believes in democracy as a system of government, here in the year 2022. The other side have fully embraced fascism and single-party single-race rule. If we want a chance to either reform the Democratic party or to build some sort of new social justice - environmental justice based party over the next few decades then we necessarily *must* keep the Republicans out of power throughout the 2020s, at the least.

It sucks, but that's the situation we're in.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Eric Cantonese posted:

Also, you guys are free to disagree, but Afghanistan puts a taint on anything Biden does. It does not have a direct effect, but I think it puts a slight taint on anything Biden decides because he had to own the final defeat.

Pulling out of Afghanistan is one of the things I most respect him for doing. It was a hard choice, with few upsides, but also the right thing to do. He hosed up some of it (the collapse and subsequent evacuation of our collaborators) and I think the US is being too punitive on the Taliban w/r/t humanitarian issues right now (though I get it, and the Taliban bears real loving responsibility for their dogshit governance), but Biden did the needful and ended our longest, most pointless war.

That's leadership. Doing the right thing, even if it's all downsides, and even if you gently caress it up some along the way. If Trump had won we'd still be droning weddings over there.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bishyaler posted:

We must let America fall into fascism because changing the rules to prevent it is authoritarianism

You have framed it as a binary choice between fascism or authoritarianism (left-authoritarianism? I assume?). I don't believe that those are the only two choices.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bishyaler posted:

It's a binary choice between giving the system an overhaul or letting Republicans hold a permanent majority, and most people in this country are going to come to that conclusion once it's entirely too late.

What do you mean when you say "give the system an overhaul" ?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bishyaler posted:

Even if the goal is less than full regime change, the leverage is still massive human suffering.

There is also massive suffering being inflicted upon Ukrainians. More suffering than on the Russian people, that's for sure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

What would you suggest we do?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Indeed. Sanctioning the US for the Iraq War would have been the right and moral thing to do.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Why anybody would admit to smoking weed for a job that will require clearance is beyond me lol. Foolishness.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This. The ban on weed consumption for these jobs is a very stupid relic - iirc a legislatively mandated one.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree, but if you're going to DC to Play The Game you should probably be ready to, you know, do what needs to be done.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah I can't scold Will Smith for that. If somebody were mocking my partner's most personal insecurities / disabilities / differences right in front of both of us like that, well I'd boil over too and I'm not a particularly wrathful man to begin with. He didn't even hit Rock with a closed fist, that's pretty reserved of him.

Sometimes you do in fact get hit after you start talking poo poo.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

can they sell bonds to other states? or some other form of fin. instrument voodoo?

They should be spending every single cent on transitioning away from being an O&G state as quickly as humanly possible, but.... it's Alaska. The politics are bad and weird.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's very hard for me to imagine that any democrats are going to care much about hunter Biden at all. I'm getting into electoral work now, so rest assured I will report back to yall the moment hunter comes up. I'm genuinely curious if he will.

E: personally I also couldn't give less of a gently caress, since it's crystal clear that Joe Biden, the president, isn't and hasn't taken any sort of cue from hunter on any policy decision or position, regardless of how much money foreign interests may have shoveled at the poor kid.

How are u fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 31, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It doesn't matter if they care about it. If he committed crimes, then he should get prosecuted for it.

100% agree, and I think Joe Biden is the kind of guy who would agree as well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's very hard for me to imagine that if the CCP invaded the United States they would be greeted as 'liberators'. The CCP, a government that is currently enacting a genocide based on ethnic and religious lines, a government that allows perhaps the least amount of freedom of speech and expression on Earth, a government that is truly pioneering exciting new frontiers in monitoring social activity and censoring dissent, just doesn't seem like it'll be accepted by the hundreds of millions of Americans who, as demonstrated very clearly throughout this global pandemic, value personal freedoms of all stripes (speech, identity, religion, movement, etc) more than public health itself.

I just did a little googling on Chinese universal healthcare and it appears they're still struggling with the issue of catastrophic health expenditures among lower income citizens. If the CCP's China were actually some sort of egalitarian utopia then, poo poo, maybe I'd be interested. But, as it exists today in the year 2022? No thanks.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

Good point, a better plan would be involving the US in belt and road and rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure while making us a client state.

We've started working on our own infrastructure with the passage of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act last year. We'll hopefully be seeing even more investment in the coming months, as we (fingers crossed) may get a package with enormous spending on Biden's climate provisions. Make no mistake, there's enormous infrastructure work to be done over the next two decades as we must re-adjust and rebuild to adapt to climate change. The American public at large understand this and is in favor of it, and, though we have Republican fascists and some Democrats still beholden to the oil and gas industry, that won't stem the tide forever. It's happening now, and will be happening even more in the years to come.

We've seen how the CCP does infrastructure investment in other nations, over the past decade. I don't think we need that or want that. We're more than capable, willing, and ready to do it ourselves.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
mods please change my name to Feckless Moderate tyvm

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Apparently there are 40 other primary candidates, so we'll see if she's still got gas in the tank. It's probably a safe House seat for life for whomever cinches it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Killer robot posted:

"Lots of people agree with me, don't be mad because I'm the only one brave enough to say it!": famously never used by people being called out for lovely stances.

I mean, if rotating villain theory is true, no evidence for it is provided by Sinema defending against well-deserved criticism by saying that other Dems are with her, out of frame, laughing.

You'd think that Sinema would maybe realize that she should rotate, and allow the other Rotating Villians to rotate into her place in order to continue the "rotation" part of the rotation villainy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The rotations don't have to be a week or even a year. The only time a rotation is needed is when the democrats have the ability to enact meaningful legislation due to having Congress and the WH- so once a decade or so is more than enough.

Well, if that's the only time a Rotation is called for then maybe Sinema should stop complaining about the other Rotating Villains hiding behind her skirts and stick to the schedule!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

selec posted:

Under the current system, say we had 53 democratic senators right now, would BBB be passed? I say no, it would not. Would the discomfort Sinema is experiencing being the focus of so much ire for money be shared with three other Dems? Yes, it would.

We definitely, unequivocally would have passed BBBA last year if we had won the 2020 Senate races in Maine, North Carolina, plus one other.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Willa Rogers posted:

IN THIS HOUSE, WE BELIEVE...
...in Sentry home security!

(The no. of people in my suburb who have those lib signs but also security-system warnings never fails to make me lol.)

What's wrong with having home security?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Willa Rogers posted:

"we welcome everyone with open arms"

*sign next to drawing of rottweiler on home-security signage*

I don't really see the disconnect between welcoming people into your country and society with open arms, and also not wanting your personal home where you and your family live to be burgled.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

They don't work though, security systems are a good indicator you're a rube being fleeced by little telling advantage of your fears. Ring is building out a huge surveillance system for police and Amazon on the back of that fear. The security industry sucks.

I don't think she was commenting on whether the security works or not, correct me if I'm wrong, Willa. It seemed she was making fun of the idea of somebody who welcomes people into society for who they are, and also wants a secure home.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

I have a secure home without putting up signs that broadcast to the world how secure my home is.

Ok? That's great, I'm glad you have a secure home. I assume you also welcome all people into society. If / when I own a home I plan to make sure it's secure, too. Probably by just putting a light with a motion sensor up, and/or a fake camera.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

Right and Willa made a comment on their need to broadcast out to everyone their home is secure which isn't actually part of securing a home. That's the connection you were missing.

As Leon posted, it kind of is, though. I can't quite understand what's upsetting or controversial about publicly displaying that you have home security.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Terminal autist posted:

There isn't and its why everyone should have at least one firearm in the house.

No thanks. I'll stick to a couple of lights with motion sensors, a fake camera or two, and an aluminum baseball bat. No guns will ever enter the house I one day hope to own.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

But also I think the point of the OP was more to highlight how stupid and often hypocritical those "in this house we believe..." signs are. gently caress those signs.

As somebody whose spent the last decade+ campaigning in all sorts of ways: yard signs can all go to hell. I'd rather 1 person volunteer their time and effort to a cause than 100 people put up a dang sign.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

It might be if you are safe in your home and feel unsafe due to a disconnect between your claimed compassion and your actual perception of the people around you who need it.

I think people can want to have home security measures while also not feeling "unsafe" in their homes. Do you think that everybody who sets up home security is doing it because they feel unsafe? It seems like simple, precautionary prudence, to me.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

That even well meaning people are constantly being steeped in FYGM.

Are you talking about home security or the silly "in this house we..." signs? If home security, then are you saying that because there are people out in the world who can not feel secure in their homes, people who want to feel secure and have the means to pursue security should...not?

e: echoing Mainepainframe. Could you restate your argument against home security?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

As I saw someone pointing out, this will probably be the last Dem nominee confirmed to SCOTUS for a long time

I don't think it's written in stone that we're going to lose the Senate and the Presidency in 2024.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

I did not make an argument against home security so I have nothing to restate. I suggested that some people may feel unsafe in their homes due to latent racism and/or classism even if they are perfectly safe and those same people may not realize that this feeling and how it makes them act contradicts their show of tolerance and inclusivity qua signs.

Ok my mistake, fair enough. I suppose that's true, some people feel unsafe because of latent racism and classism. I wouldn't make that assumption about people simply because they employ or desire home security, though. The desire to secure one's home seems so very basic and intuitive, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

Of course it does. Capitalism tells us we all have to compete with one another all the time and everyone wants whats yours and then makes this a self fulfilling prophecy by depriving people.

Sorry, what? Are you arguing that there's a social and economic system under which nobody would desire to protect their homes and belongings?