Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Hey, it's Pete and Amy again, and we're back with our playthrough of Kona! Set in the snowy Canadian wilderness, we'll be playing as Carl, a private investigator looking to solve a mystery. If that sounds like a Wikipedia summary, then you'd be absolutely correct, because we really don't know anything about this game! This was recommended to us toward the end of our The Forgotten City playthrough, and we thought it looked good, so we're going to give it a go. We don't expect this one to last very long, but we wanted to create a thread for it regardless. Since we don't know much about this game, please spoiler-tag anything that might tip us off early.

In addition to YouTube uploads, we'll also once again be streaming our playthrough on Twitch before it gets put up on YouTube in parts. Our aim is to stream on Monday evenings, ~7:30 p.m. Central U.S. Time. As always, our Twitch channel can be found right here. We'd love to see you!

(We're aiming to upload the recorded episodes to YouTube on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm posting this thread early to link people to the stream, in case they want to watch live.)

EPISODES

Part 1: Sausage-Man Carl
Part 2: Return fire in self defense!
Part 3: Live close to where you're building a UFO
Part 4: Die in the game, die in real life
Part 5: Gettin' all decent with it
Part 6: That was kind of metal
Part 7: Well, thank you for tuning in
Super Mario Bros. 3 One-Off: Ha ha ha! Bye bye.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Have fun with whatever this is.
I'd watch the stream if it wasn't starting at half past 1 a.m. on a weekday.
Looking forward to the recorded videos.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I've played this a couple years ago and found it to be a bit lackluster. Mostly the the narrator got on my nerves.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 21, 2022

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 1 is up now, and holy crap, I think this is going to be way more fun of a playthrough than I expected it to be. I knew it was going to be good, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this so far.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Have fun with whatever this is.
I'd watch the stream if it wasn't starting at half past 1 a.m. on a weekday.
Looking forward to the recorded videos.

Yeah, we were trying to figure out scheduling when we decided to stream, and thanks to work, this is the only chance we have to do it live.

Combat Lobster posted:

I've played this a couple years ago and found it to be a bit lackluster. Mostly the the narrator got on my nerves.

The narrator has been a bit annoying, but he sounds so much like the narrator in A Christmas Story that I can't help but not get too mad at him.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 22, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Carl seems to be a bit of a douche. Loved your reaction to the meat wastery.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I think the Narrator and Carl are two different people, and this is why:

Carl has thoughts that the narrator does not comment on. You see them on the walls and geometry of the landscape when the player interacts with set dressing. Where as the narrator's scene-painting will cover explicit and innocuous details with jump in logic far beyond the immediate setting, Carl's thoughts-on-the-wall observation are terse, short, and in the moment. The two styles really don't overlap in terms of tone and content.

As a guess, I would actually say the Narrator is the dead man, Hamilton: An insufferably eloquent prick with an educated superiority complex, weaving a grand tale of how his untimely demise was brought to justice in some convoluted Sherlock Holmes fanfic.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Such a silly game. I was happy to catch the stream, but man.

I'm no lawyer, but I might have to make an overall list of crimes Carl has committed by the end. Maybe I can badger a friend with legal background to guesstimate a sentence.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Drakenel posted:

Such a silly game. I was happy to catch the stream, but man.

I'm no lawyer, but I might have to make an overall list of crimes Carl has committed by the end. Maybe I can badger a friend with legal background to guesstimate a sentence.

Oh my God, that would be incredible.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
The Epoch of SausageCarl: Chill Times and Meat Crimes

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Alright. We'll keep a running tally. You're all welcome to add any I missed for the misadventures of our """private eye""". I'll keep it episode by episode to not spoil things not posted yet.

Stealing from a firewatch tower: Firestarter and a Pincer (Bolt cutters)
Breaking into a toll booth(?), the fact it was unlocked isn't relevant I think? I'm not a lawyer.
Stealing from a toll booth: Fliers
Destroying a legally made road barrier
Trespassing past said road barrier
Stealing from another car: Iron box, photo, and a first aid kit.
Stealing from a firewatch station: Chain, firestarter, 6 matches, 2 cut logs. Emergency situation is probably a mitigating factor.
Lighting 2 fires and leaving them unattended.
Fleeing the scene of an accident
Disturbing the crime scene of a murder
Stealing evidence from a crime scene: Envelope
Stealing from a store: Personal notes, 3 firestarters, duct tape, fliers, 4 matches, sensitive business documents, garage key.
Stealing from a register: Key
Stealing from a postbox(Hello felony): Gun, mail+key.
Open carrying a firearm without a license (Presumedly. I highly doubt this man ever got a license.)
Breaking and entering the garage.
Trespassing in garage.
Stealing from the garage: 'hardware', pliers, crowbar.
Stealing petrol from a gas station.
Stealing from a private campsite: 6 matches, lantern, beer bottle.
Lighting fire at campsite and leaving it unattended.
Stealing from outdoor cooler at cabin: steak, 2 beer bottle
Stealing from cabin: first aid kit, duct tape
Leaving fire unattended at cabin.
Leaving fire unattended outside second cabin..

I'm probably missing some, or some things are considered not crimes under extreme circumstances, but that's from passing over the video.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drakenel posted:

Stealing from a toll booth: Fliers
Government issue pamphlets are intended for distribution free of charge, it is public property!

Drakenel posted:

Stealing from a private campsite: 6 matches, lantern, beer bottle.
The accused was cleaning up a clearly abandoned campsite, and no private property postings were visible or apparent!

Drakenel posted:

Lighting 2 fires and leaving them unattended.
Leaving fire unattended at cabin.
Leaving fire unattended outside second cabin.
The accused used containerized fire receptacles, and you cannot half accuse the accused of arson when no arson occurred!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Bootcha posted:

Government issue pamphlets are intended for distribution free of charge, it is public property!

The accused was cleaning up a clearly abandoned campsite, and no private property postings were visible or apparent!

The accused used containerized fire receptacles, and you cannot half accuse the accused of arson when no arson occurred!

1st, Fair.

2nd, clearly abandoned is arguable since its not clear how long its been there. And a functional latern doesn't exactly count as 'cleaning up', I'd say.

And lastly, Fair. But if a blaze does ignite, it is 100% on him. Extinguish your fires when you're done, kids.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
All of this is incredible, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
FURTHER...

Drakenel posted:

Trespassing past said road barrier.
Allegations of destruction and/or tampering of government transportation signage and structures aside, the accused is NOT trespassing, as the accused has both a formal invitation by one of the residents/estates of Manastan, and an employment contract with one of the residents/estates of Manastan!

Drakenel posted:

Stealing from a postbox(Hello felony): Gun, mail+key.
Allegations of mail theft aside, an unsecured firearm itself is not a legal postal object, and therefore the specific removing of the firearm from the postbox is not subject to a violation of postal law!

Drakenel posted:

Open carrying a firearm without a license (Presumedly. I highly doubt this man ever got a license.)
The accused is a resident of Montreal, which is in the province of Quebec, and Manastan is in the province of Quebec as well. As a private investigator, and as a Korean War veteran, the accused should have a firearms license as part of his employment, and that license should extend throughout, at the very least, the entire province of Quebec!
Further, carrying a firearm in rural and wilderness areas, be it concealed or open, is not only common but accepted due to local wildlife!
Even further, the accused is not open carrying a firearm but rather securing the firearm in his stomach, where it will not accidentally discharge nor endanger himself or others!

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 23, 2022

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

You were there for the stream too. Oh man just wait for the later episodes.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now! Having never been to Canada, I'm just going to assume that this is how all old Canadian men are, is that fair?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is up now, which means it's time for more breaking and entering! And wolves!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
This reminds me of a game called Cryostasis, where you explore icebreaker in the Arctic, you can go into memories of people by touching their frozen corpses and you have heat functioning as your health meter. Wonder if this game was inspired by it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 4 is up now! also, a big thank you to the community for the help with that electrician's puzzle. I feel really dumb that I didn't immediately realize how to do it.

Forgall posted:

This reminds me of a game called Cryostasis, where you explore icebreaker in the Arctic, you can go into memories of people by touching their frozen corpses and you have heat functioning as your health meter. Wonder if this game was inspired by it.

Yeah, I'd like to get myself a copy of Cryostasis, but it's extremely expensive for a Steam key now, and I'm really pissed off that I didn't even realize there was a GOG version of the game available at one point. Retail versions are still pretty cheap, though, so maybe I'll just have to grab one of those.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Cryostasis is incredibly janky, just to warn you.
ALso my parents had a Polaroid camera like what Carl uses, its the kind that folds up for storage.
https://www.chairish.com/product/931075/vintage-polaroid-camera-and-accessories
At least it looks like thats what they were going for kinda.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 4, 2022

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

DreadUnknown posted:

Cryostasis is incredibly janky, just to warn you.
ALso my parents had a Polaroid camera like what Carl uses, its the kind that folds up for storage.
https://www.chairish.com/product/931075/vintage-polaroid-camera-and-accessories
At least it looks like thats what they were going for kinda.

Oh, yeah, I've seen those foldable Polaroid cameras before. I totally forgot about them!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It only took Carl three episodes to get to the place he was determined to 'start the investigation' at. I was half expected the narrator to make a comment on that, but it is a good thing that it does seem to let you explore really in any way you want.

Another game this reminds me of is Kholat (loosely based on the Dyatlov Pass incident) which actually does have lots of snow and more Amnesia in it, but not the memory visions of this one. I didn't much like it, but at least it was fairly short.

And you'd probably have a lot of fun with Infra.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 5, 2022

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 is up now! A bit more progress made toward solving the mystery.

Kangra posted:

It only took Carl three episodes to get to the place he was determined to 'start the investigation' at. I was half expected the narrator to make a comment on that, but it is a good thing that it does seem to let you explore really in any way you want.

Another game this reminds me of is Kholat (loosely based on the Dyatlov Pass incident) which actually does have lots of snow and more Amnesia in it, but not the memory visions of this one. I didn't much like it, but at least it was fairly short.

And you'd probably have a lot of fun with Infra.

I appreciate the suggestions, I'll have to look into both games. I've been enjoying this game for the most part, but it's super janky, which is too bad. Still glad we're playing it, though.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
drat even with the lights on that sherry would have just blended in with the shelves, thats not a good puzzle at all.
Yeah Kholat is not very good at all, play Infra instead.
drat Carl is a judgy old lady.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is up now! We got to a part at the end that played out a little differently than I expected.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know you're looking at another game for the next streaming, but in the spirit of goofy detective antics and a town hell bent on turning on each other...

I suggest Bugsnax as a future option.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

I know you're looking at another game for the next streaming, but in the spirit of goofy detective antics and a town hell bent on turning on each other...

I suggest Bugsnax as a future option.

I've been thinking about grabbing that one! Anything that was made by the Octodad guys is okay in my book.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If you want interesting exploration and puzzles I'd suggest Tunic.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

If you want interesting exploration and puzzles I'd suggest Tunic.

YES. I'm absolutely going to grab Tunic. I was waiting to get burned out on Elden Ring, and I'm about to that point, so I'm definitely going to grab Tunic soon.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 7, the greatest piece of media ever uploaded to the internet, is up now! Holy crap, we're the masters of absolute poo poo timing.

Kona officially comes to an end in this episode, and we also take some time to review some of the story and hang out with you guys. I'll upload the Super Mario Bros. 3 stream here as a bonus episode, because it really was a part of this series.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 8 of Kona, also known as Super Mario Bros. 3, is up now! I know this isn't how we meant for the playthrough to end, but I still had a hell of a time playing this, I love the game so much.

Thanks again to everybody who stuck it out with us this entire time. Kona was a lot better than I expected it to be, and definitely not what I expected it to be, but I had a lot of fun playing it. I also had a lot of fun playing through the entirety of Super Mario Bros 3! Amy and I will be back next week, as usual, for the next game that we play, and I hope to see all of you there!

(EDIT: Also, for some reason, this time we absolutely picked up an echo with our mics. I have no idea what's causing that, and I don't know why it just randomly happens when absolutely nothing around us changes at the time, so I apologize if that sounds jarring for a minute.)

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 14, 2022

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The mic echo is probably feedback from having them a bit too close.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

DreadUnknown posted:

The mic echo is probably feedback from having them a bit too close.

Yeah, we're going to try to space them out a bit next time. It's just weird to be that it fluctuates without touching them, but I don't know much about audio setups, so maybe that's normal.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
The Narrator: Once and again, Two Thumbs Pete claimed the change in his voice was due to his fickle audio equipment, as he was too stubborn to accept that he was passing into the spirit world. So stubborn was he in fact, that he faded right back into life and remains among us. It was a small tragedy that he was missing out the great journey beyond, but at least we can continue to draw smirking pleasure as he bumbles through more games. Folk living vicariously through folk living vicariously through artificial lives. What a world this has become.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Melaneus posted:

The Narrator: Once and again, Two Thumbs Pete claimed the change in his voice was due to his fickle audio equipment, as he was too stubborn to accept that he was passing into the spirit world. So stubborn was he in fact, that he faded right back into life and remains among us. It was a small tragedy that he was missing out the great journey beyond, but at least we can continue to draw smirking pleasure as he bumbles through more games. Folk living vicariously through folk living vicariously through artificial lives. What a world this has become.

Very interesting that you mention the spirit world, considering that we're playing Ghostwire: Tokyo now, ha!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Well, that wasn't so bad of a game. It showcases one of the problems with presenting a story in an open world. You can't really have proper narrative pacing for a central story if the bits and pieces of it are scattered around. Doing that here made the ending feel rushed and over-explained; you can kind of see in hindsight where all the pieces were, but the presentation of them while playing the game is lacking. There either needs to be less open-endedness (like Ethan Carter), or more short plot threads that combine together (like in Outer Wilds). It was a fun one to watch, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

Well, that wasn't so bad of a game. It showcases one of the problems with presenting a story in an open world. You can't really have proper narrative pacing for a central story if the bits and pieces of it are scattered around. Doing that here made the ending feel rushed and over-explained; you can kind of see in hindsight where all the pieces were, but the presentation of them while playing the game is lacking. There either needs to be less open-endedness (like Ethan Carter), or more short plot threads that combine together (like in Outer Wilds). It was a fun one to watch, though!

Yeah, it definitely was a perfect game, but it was still fun enough to play through once. It definitely gave us a lot of laughs, and we enjoyed doing it.