Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Valve timing is really the first thing you should do for a tune-up. They tighten up with use, and this can cause them to open early & the engine isn't smooth (I'm facing this same issue with the I6 in my Econoline - even though it has hydraulic lifters, the valves are adjustable, and I think they're tight - it runs in an oddly rough way).

After valve adjustment is the ignition timing. Only after these two are done should the idle mixture be adjusted.

drat that is the most goddamned photogenic car.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
My last inline 4 bike was super temperamental when it wanted a valve adjustment, in addition to the carb it probably wouldn't hurt.

I have to agree that it is a drat fine looking car, makes the Jag look like some "new money" bullshit in comparison.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

spankmeister posted:

No offense but you've been waffling on about tuning that carb for months. Get after it.

I think if this post often. Then I saw this meme and also thought of this post first day of spring is end of this week
:negative:

Got an offer accepted on a house in California so I really need to wrap this up. Still seriously thinking about driving the car cross country. Carburetor is out of the car but haven't had time to pull it apart because of house stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

I think if this post often. Then I saw this meme and also thought of this post first day of spring is end of this week
:negative:

Got an offer accepted on a house in California so I really need to wrap this up. Still seriously thinking about driving the car cross country. Carburetor is out of the car but haven't had time to pull it apart because of house stuff.
Hey, my car is outside so I actually can't do anything to it while it's cold out :mad:

Also drive the car

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Hadlock, want to change your career and become a Citroen mechanic?

https://jalopnik.com/dave-burnham-best-citroen-mechanic-giving-away-his-shop-1850241709

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lol I literally just got done reading that

Sadly we just got finished signing a bunch of paperwork for a place on the opposite coast :( sounds like a dream though. I could commute 90 feet away in a Safari 2CV

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Went to the local "cars and coffee" first Saturday thing, finally

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OOOO! A Spring Special Econoline!

I want to know where they sourced that tonneau cover.

Took me a minute to notice the pickup next to THAT GORGEOUS CAR

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

You are not helping me quell my desire for a French car. Not even slightly. I show my wife your pictures when you post them and she’s not exactly helping either, especially when we see an SM out driving.

So insanely pretty.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

You are not helping me quell my desire for a French car. Not even slightly. I show my wife your pictures when you post them and she’s not exactly helping either, especially when we see an SM out driving.

So insanely pretty.

Have you considered a Renault R10 my dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ20LBK13aQ

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What robot cantina is modding a Renault? :monocle: These are the guys that put a harbor freight engine in a Honda insight, right

I had no idea Renault made a 4 door rear engine car

Early R10s pre facelift look pretty baller

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

What robot cantina is modding a Renault? :monocle: These are the guys that put a harbor freight engine in a Honda insight, right

I had no idea Renault made a 4 door rear engine car

Early R10s pre facelift look pretty baller

Yep and the last project was a Kubota industrial diesel in a Saturn lol.

I don't think I've seen one of these either, even in France. I guess they're too old and relatively unremarkable to still be on the road outside of like Renault club meetings.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe it's just the angle but getting strong BMW 2002 vibes from that thing. Too bad I already bought a motor for my next project that would be a cool car

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

I had no idea Renault made a 4 door rear engine car]

Renault made many 4 door rear-engine cars:

4CV:

Dauphine:

R8:

And the R10 of course

The best thing about the Dauphine was how it spat out the spare wheel like a cat refusing to take a worming pill:

The front of the original R10 always reminds me of a Leyland National bus:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

Valve timing is really the first thing you should do for a tune-up. They tighten up with use, and this can cause them to open early & the engine isn't smooth (I'm facing this same issue with the I6 in my Econoline - even though it has hydraulic lifters, the valves are adjustable, and I think they're tight - it runs in an oddly rough way).

After valve adjustment is the ignition timing. Only after these two are done should the idle mixture be adjusted.

drat that is the most goddamned photogenic car.

Just caught up and ya, my brain has been shouting “IGNITION” at me for three pages. Check the heat range on the plugs, gap them to spec, check the timing, and then check the spark advance. In that order.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm skeptical about the ignition being an issue. I have receipts for new ignition parts doesn't seem to be an issue - what do you suspect? Distributior, wires look new, will double check receipts. Recent cleaned the plugs. Car was running great in sub 70F

Passenger side tail light fell off, was not able to find it, pretty sad about that. Had identified that as an issue. Replacement parts are easy to get though got some on order

I was deputized by The Admiral* to resolve all moving issues to California which gives me a 60 day clearance to make any and all stupid car decisions. Probably moving the car to Atlanta sooner rather than later. What's the saying, don't look a gift horse in the mouth

*See also, nautical insanity thread

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

And the R10 of course

The best thing about the Dauphine was how it spat out the spare wheel like a cat refusing to take a worming pill:

All I can see is the kid from a Christmas story getting his mouth washed out. Any chance I can get that on my rap sheet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For anyone looking for a giant mistake fun project:

1937 Traction Avant for sale in the US, first I've seen in quite some time. Notable differences from my '54

1) most obvious is the tire trunk thing looks better than mine
2) weird user operated louver things instead of permanent vents
3) windshield wipers on top of the windshield, instead of below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175680742429

Looks like it has the original seat coverings which is impressive, those usually fall apart long before now

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'd be tempted to just to troll a modern citroen dealership by calling them for parts referencing that serial number and engine number, like the helpful tag tells me to.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd be tempted to just to troll a modern citroen dealership by calling them for parts referencing that serial number and engine number, like the helpful tag tells me to.

assuming you're in NA: what modern citroen dealership?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

assuming you're in NA: what modern citroen dealership?

I thought they came back to the US market in really small numbers ten years ago? Limited markets etc. Or did that never happen/close down?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

I thought they came back to the US market in really small numbers ten years ago? Limited markets etc. Or did that never happen/close down?

PSA accepted the FCA merger mostly for their US presence, they had none before becoming Stellantis.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

nope

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

They came to the US in small numbers in the 60s and 70s. They left the market in 1973.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

They came to the US in small numbers in the 60s and 70s. They left the market in 1973.

Could have sworn I remembered something around 2012-ish (it's linked with the campaign for Obama's second term in my head for some reason) about them coming back to the US. Guess it never happened or fizzled, my bad.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Could have sworn I remembered something around 2012-ish (it's linked with the campaign for Obama's second term in my head for some reason) about them coming back to the US. Guess it never happened or fizzled, my bad.

Renault stuck around through 1990 or so. Peugot pulled out about that time, too.

I think they've announced several times that they're planning on returning to the US market over the years, but it's never actually happened.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PSA hosed around most receltnyl with the US market before they merged with FCA, going so far as to open an office in Atlanta and bring in a coupe of 508s on mfg plates but it didn't get much further than a twinkling in Carlos Tavares' eye.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Was about to say, Peugeot did announce their return to the US market a couple of years ago but that died when Stellantis was born.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There was apparently a combo Saab/Citroen dealership in Raleigh NC for ~10-15 years

The renault twizy was an option in San Francisco via Scoot, a sort of electric scooter company 2018-19, I guess technically it was brought to the US as a Nissan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Twizy

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hadlock posted:

The renault twizy was an option in San Francisco via Scoot, a sort of electric scooter company 2018-19, I guess technically it was brought to the US as a Nissan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Twizy

Out of Spec reviews sourced his twizy from a clearing house action for Scoot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok, so,

Closed on house in California, as someone else pointed out, this cars whole thing is crossing continents. I have a 200 mile AAA towing policy and fully prepared to exercise this

I think the plan is to do this over 9 days, spread over 3, three day weekends.

Current plan is to do NC -> Atlanta day 1
Atlanta - > New Orleans day 2
New Orleans -> Austin day 3

Haven't figured out the rest of the plan yet past Austin. I have several garages I can circulate the car through in Austin while I figure out the rest of the details. To new Orleans is about 2 x 10 hour drive which is... Manageable. Austin is another 12 hour drive

I guess the question is, and I've done this twice before, since October, what are the things you would order as spares, or replace in advance? Things I'm looking at replacing immediately

1) wheel bearings + repack with grease
2) ???

Someone suggested new points on the distributor. Need to double check the date codes on the tires they're on the older side possible delamination but looking good.

Going to top of fluids before heading out, greasing the nipples of course.

Kind of thinking I'm just going to run it ragged until I get to Austin, then reassess, order additional parts. Fly home. Find another good weather window, fly back out I'll post the new parts that were installed here in the last 3 years shortly it's a fairly extensive list.

Kind of thinking that if I at least order new rings, that ought to allow a roadside solution to hyper bad compression. The engine has drop in replacement cylinders so it's fully rebuildable, and wrecking the cylinders with new rings isn't a long term problem. Thinking I do new cylinders, pistons, rings ($800?) when I get to California.

Anyways, curious what kind of specialty parts I need to order. I apparently lost my taillight on the way home the other day so I need to order one before I go very far from the house and shipping from Europe is a minimum $80 so I'm trying to group as many parts as possible into a single shipment.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I'd suggest bulbs at least, and carry extra fluids with you. Plugs, a spare belt, cooling hoses, a few go pros mounted to the car to record it all and pick up the roadkill guys in Atlanta to help get it there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A fully loaded grease gun and extra nipples

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Serious question, but are there even metric zerks? I actually have a full set of the standard 3-5 sizes (because reasons) but they appear to all be imperial

Edit:

spankmeister posted:

A fully loaded grease gun and extra nipples

Yes, absolutely

I have most of a 14oz grease pack and two spares ready to go. Probably 10k miles worth

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 17, 2023

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Serious question, but are there even metric zerks? I actually have a full set of the standard 3-5 sizes (because reasons) but they appear to all be imperial

There certainly are metric zerks around, I can find them fairly easily but am a long way from north america.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

California dreamin'

Probably the closest to the Atlantic Ocean this car will get in the next 30 years

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Consider ordering a magnetic red blinking light. Usually used for flat-towing cars, or for some trailers; but in a pinch, it should provide a measure of safety if the lighting, especially rear, goes weird.

A set of flares.

A couple cans of tire goop in pressurized cans. Tire shop folks will hate you, but they are a life-saver

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Spare thermostat, radiator cap, spare radiator hoses, etc. My biggest concern crossing the West in the summer is the extreme load this will put on your cooling system.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any other suggestions on parts? I'm holding you personally responsible for my bar tab if I get stranded somewhere. Putting in my order around noon. Departure will probably be in about 60 days +/- gotta get the family moved and settled before I wander off on any adventures

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Spare thermostat, radiator cap, spare radiator hoses, etc. My biggest concern crossing the West in the summer is the extreme load this will put on your cooling system.

Thank God someone thinking this through

So fun fact that TA predates thermostats, I don't know anyone who has one and I've done some research on this, I guess that's the norm + they were designed without them so fingers crossed? The biggest overheating issue seems to simply be under hood temperatures, sometimes solved by opening the rear hood latches(?) In stop and go traffic still having fuel issues presumably the fuel pump is boiling the fuel. Not an issue at 45mph but a real struggle to get the engine to do more than idle in town when it's 75+ F if I have to sit at a stop light for more than 30 seconds, especially several in a row.

It's an extreme load but also the engine is putting out about half it's rated power, I think most of the heat is going out the tailpipe. Alternatively I can run longer in the morning and late evening but these are all good points

I'll order the hoses and cap for sure thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Another thing is extra plugs. As you go up in elevation and start to run rich, you'll have an increased risk of fouling. This has happened to me in carbed vehicles much newer than your T/A, so I image it's a risk for you too.

Interesting thing about the thermostat. Let me know if you make it through Vegas on your way - I'll buy you a baguette.